HalFitness

I've been slacking lately. "Relationship weight" and all that. Only up about 5 pounds but when you factor in presumed muscle loss, it's probably more like 10 pounds worse. Gotta get more serious. Thankfully it wont take long to do if I nip it in the bud before I let it get worse and all that.
Spoiler alert: Thanksgiving + Christmas are a bad time to try to find a new resolve. Had an unfortunate binge on Sunday (probably like 1500 Calories of junk) so I just threw out everything. Its kind of funny that people ask how I did such a good job of losing weight and really I still have no ability to do moderation. I just have to keep myself in an environment where I have no choice for meals and no unhealthy food in front of my face. I also have picked up the habit of finishing my GF's food at restaurants since she only will eat half her meal. So I 100% need to keep my eyes on my own plate.

Somehow despite all this I'm still only 158lbs though. Its definitley funny since there was a time I would've assumed I would die before I was within 50lbs of that, but now I just feel like a blob. My dad is having a beach wedding in a bit over 3 months and I really want to be slimmed down for that. I won't be as muscular as I was at my best point back in July/August, but I should at least be able to have some of this fat off by then.

I'm not sure if this counts as a health issue or anything, but at random times I'll feel a WEIRD heat from my left index finger. I feel it for a few seconds, and it goes away.

I just use my calorie counter and sheer willpower. And yes, I use a calorie counter because it's the only way I catch myself boredom grazing.

Today is the beginning of year 3 in my ongoing "maybe watch what you eat and do" journey of daily weigh-ins and calorie counts. Lost an additional 15lb this go-around, for a total 68lb/30.8kg lost (217->149). Not displeased, considering what my last year's been filled with, like the divorce a year and a day ago. My goal for the year is 4lb away (probably my permanent weight target, unless I somehow replace a bunch of fat with muscle).

While I'm still an emotional eater, my binges are much more infrequent and smaller--having to account for what I'm doing is a really effective self-control method. I've also been off-keto since early October (developed an extremely painful rash that matched what is known as "keto rash"), which means I don't have the "oh gosh forbidden food" excuse, requiring more willpower and accountability.

Unfortunately I haven't really exercised with regularity this past ½/¾ year, due to a myriad reasons. I intend to remedy that in the coming weeks (the inertia is stronk). As a result my body composition (estimated and in the mirror) is nowhere near what I'd like it.

Did we lose our Fitbit group? I like to check my progress against you guys (despite @Cajungal regularly kicking our asses) and it was gone.
Since they updated the app and the dashboard I’ve had all kinds of problems. I don’t see friends on the dashboard anymore (even though if I open that window they are there) and the newest update this week finally restored my Bluetooth sync so that I get text and call notifiers on my Fitbit again.

My goal is to lose 15 pounds by Halloween. If I succeed in that, I could pull off a decent Hawkeye or Star Lord outfit. Or maybe I could gain 15 pounds and go as Happy Hogan instead.

Yesterday started year 4, as far as the current run of daily weigh-ins, food tracking, and being (increasingly) mindful about my body. Yet again in a better place than last year.
  • My weight is at around 159, but that's an intentional 15lb surplus as I'm trying out bulk-cutting (worked OK back in college, far more self-accountable now so hoping for better). Bulk will end when my weekly average hits 160 sometime this month.
  • I've been weightlifting 3-4 times a week since mid-August, plus some form of cardio/HIIT when I'm in the mood (jumprope, hill sprints, and hiking). Long way to go from where I want to be, but I've already beat about half my (paltry) college PRs already, and the rest are close (I'm also 10-20lb lighter, FWIW).
  • Found a place near my work that does DEXA scans and Fit3D scans. Affordable, and seem far more reliable than my prior tools (bioelectrical impedance and self-measurements with tape).
  • Not struggling with emotional eating, though that's likely just a function of my vastly improved mental health. Still have issues with accidental overeating (hence why I'm not dropping the food tracking), mostly when eating out or being offered free food. The regular exercise means I feel much less guilty about those moments though.

I think my longest year total was around 11kkm (11Mm?), so it's possible.
I thought you were obliquely saying that you had turned 40 years old.
If so, then 390 was the remaining number of days until you hit 15,000 days.
I was not thinking about cycling at all. :confused:

--Patrick

I thought you were obliquely saying that you had turned 40 years old.
If so, then 390 was the remaining number of days until you hit 15,000 days.
I was not thinking about cycling at all. :confused:

--Patrick
Aha! I was wondering why 15000 kilometers was a milestone.

I've been doing some yoga/hiit training with YouTube videos 2-3 times a week for about a month now, drinking less, pigging out less. Down from a peak of 90kgs to 86kgs today (198 to 189 pounds). On course for getting back to 80-81 (176 pounds ) where I want to be for my wedding.

Due to depression, weather, lockdowns, and all sorts of other excuses, I've fallen badly out of shape again. I'm back up to around 230 lbs, after being below 200 last year. I'm still not eating well, buying a lot of junk food like chips and chocolate, but I'm starting to exercise more. I've been going for walks before work, during lunch, and/or after work depending on how I feel. Trying to get that 10,000 steps in my FitBit watch. I also started practicing yoga again after discovering a new yoga YouTube channel, Sarah Beth Yoga. I really like her videos because they're no-nonsense, gets right into the work out from hitting play, and there's little distracting talk during the sequences. Plus, she has some really unique flows, cues, and transitions. I've mostly been doing her morning yoga routines, which are fantastic and just the kind of stretching I need after getting out of bed.

I just did this one and it absolutely kicked my ass. I was gushing sweat by the end and struggled to either keep up with her or do all the poses or sequences. Especially the push-ups. If you want a good 30-minute challenge, you should try this.

Edited to Add: The thing is, I find my brain wants to discourage me when I see pictures of myself from last year. It's like it's telling me I can't reach that goal again.

Last edited:
Due to depression, weather, lockdowns, and all sorts of other excuses, I've fallen badly out of shape again. I'm back up to around 230 lbs, after being below 200 last year. I'm still not eating well, buying a lot of junk food like chips and chocolate, but I'm starting to exercise more. I've been going for walks before work, during lunch, and/or after work depending on how I feel. Trying to get that 10,000 steps in my FitBit watch. I also started practicing yoga again after discovering a new yoga YouTube channel, Sarah Beth Yoga. I really like her videos because they're no-nonsense, gets right into the work out from hitting play, and there's little distracting talk during the sequences. Plus, she has some really unique flows, cues, and transitions. I've mostly been doing her morning yoga routines, which are fantastic and just the kind of stretching I need after getting out of bed.

I just did this one and it absolutely kicked my ass. I was gushing sweat by the end and struggled to either keep up with her or do all the poses or sequences. Especially the push-ups. If you want a good 30-minute challenge, you should try this.

Edited to Add: The thing is, I find my brain wants to discourage me when I see pictures of myself from last year. It's like it's telling me I can't reach that goal again.
The like is, obviously, for starting back up and for sharing an interesting video - not for your brain telling you you can't do it.
You've done it before, you'll do it again. Remember, your brain's an asshole. And try to think back to those yoga sessions on the rocks overlooking the lake - it may not be fun or easy now, but once you're a bit further along, you know you can get back to where those sort of moments will really give you pleasure and feel great. You can do it, and you will do it, no matter what that overgrown sponge in your head is trying to do ;-)

Today I weighed in at the lowest weight I’ve seen since probably 2013 or so, which means I have finally hit a milestone of being more than 20lb down from the peak I hit almost exactly 5 years ago*.

Thing is, I have NO CLUE how I managed to do it. Yay?

—Patrick
*in all fairness, 5 years ago work dropped me off in CA for a few months and said, “We will pay for all your food,” so hitting my highest lifetime weight during this trip was definitely a thing which was on the table.

Working from home has caused me to lose weight..I'm not eating out every day, and instead having reasonable lunches. I'm definitely not exercising more. :D

I'm down to 233, down from a high of close to 290 a few years ago, and 249 a few weeks ago.

After spraining my right middle and index fingers a month ago, I can FINALLY make a fist without problem, FUCK YEAH!

Still hurts if I knock against something the wrong way, but baby steps.

I hit 8 and 1/2 miles in my half-marathon training today. I'm kinda at odds with myself over it. On one hand, there is part of my brain saying, "Woohoo! 8.5 miles! You never thought you could do this in your life! Go you!". And then there's the other part of my brain, "You just spent almost 2 hours straight running. Just. Running. Why would anyone want to run for 2 hours? This is a tremendous time sink! One hour is plenty! This is so impractical!".

Needed to say, once this half-marathon is over I don't plan on being a long-distance runner.