[Gaming] Halforums and halflings?

Brenlin Norixius, the Life domain Cleric.

www.dndbeyond.com/sheet-pdfs/Farwielder_79122593.pdf

1658577826489.png

*Except imagine that's a viol, not a lute.

This would technically be more accurate though not as polished.
1658577791113.png

Brenlin is a green dragonborn and current devote life domain cleric, using his faith in Silvanus as a traveling healer. Always upbeat, to a fault, and happy to assist when needed. While living mostly off the land, the bulk of his material possessions were either found, scrounged, or donated in payment of his services and are in many stages of disrepair, ranging from gently used to barely held together. Despite this, Brenlin manages to exude a captivating bohemian style and always manages to make even the rattiest rags look more dashing than they have any right to be. Handsome, while being personally unaware of it, he easily fits in with most and is fast to make friends. While a novice viol player, he is quick to add music to any situation. Originally hailing from Ka'rhashan in Q'barra, The Last War saw Brenlin journey across Eberron, healing the sick and injured, without loyalty to any one faction or army.

Relation with The Last War-Brenlin worked tirelessly to heal those injured by the war despite how it ravaged the natural world around him. He sees himself as a tool for the ebb and flow of life and nature and while surrounded by death and the loss of those he'd attempted to heal, he knew that their life force would return to nature and has always maintained a positive outlook, throughout the war and beyond.

Family-Only surviving direct blood relative after the war is Brenlin's father, General Skaarl Norixius, a high-ranking military official. Ruthless and cunning he has distanced himself from his son believing he should have used his magics to benefit their faction solely in the last war. He has grown to despise Brenlin for not being near to save his favoured child Brenlin's half-sister, the rising star champion warrior, Ishla. While Brenlin mourns Ishla's passing, he does not lament her, or anyone's death, further infuriating his father. Brenlin's birthmother, Hekhei, died while he was young, succumbing to an unknown illness. In an effort to understand why she passed, Brenlin reviewed multiple faiths and dieties over the years, finally coming to align himself with Silvanus, The Old Father, as a way to cope with her loss, never fully letting her go and believing her lifeforce, as well as any others lost, continue on in a never-ending cycle nourishing and growing new life.

His father remarried shortly after his mother's passing and while he grew close with his half-sister Ishla, he was never more than cordial with his new step-mother, and she never pushed the matter.

"I know a guy"- While traveling during the war, during a respite between battles Brenlin heard, very faintly from a nearby barn, a haunting yet beautiful melody. Upon further inspection, he found a young human farm boy, a viol prodigy playing in the waning evening light, softly but with purpose, a dirge for the fallen soldiers. When the song ended Brenlin called up to the young boy and complimented his prowess. Startled at first, unaware anyone had been listening, he graciously bowed to the Dragonborn. They spoke for a while during that first meeting, sharing their life stories and bonding over their desire to shirk the expectation from their families that they'd follow into their respective familial professions, war in Brenlin's case and farming in the boys. The boy, Jonas Criswell, was hopeful the war would soon end and allow him to travel and share his gift with the world. In the following years, Brenlin would visit the farm when passing through the area to listen and learn what he could of the viol and spend time talking with his friend. On one of these visits, shortly after the war ended, Jonas mentioned that he would be finally setting off to try to make a name for himself. Brenlin has yet to encounter Jonas since that last visit but has heard rumors of his success and growing fame.

Last edited:
Hello, nice to meet you all and various other general greetings.
I'm married to Phil, so some might consider me his wife. You can call me, maybe, Mel or Melly if you rather.

I'm going to be playing as a Lizardfolk druid known as Fugauff'fil, Fug or Fuggy if you rather. I will try to have some healing abilities as a back up.

Looking forward to having fun with this new-to-me community.

I've gone ahead and posted the game thread. Feel free to start interacting! If your character isn't ready yet that's fine! You still have time to join! People can jump in at almost any point so feel free!

OK, I was being optimistic about my ability to throw together a character from a race I've never played and don't have the books for, with a class I haven't played in 8 years, in a system I haven't played in 8 years, during work hours. 3.5 is ingrained muscle memory, 5.0 isn't, apparently. I barely remember what proficiencies are :-D
Sorry. Mostly there, but there's been so much stuff that's been released over the past years it's a combination of a pain and pleasure to try and find what I want. I'll try to have it by EOD tomorrow, but for *some* reason we just spent the weekend doing 5 family visits, and tomorrow we're leaving right after work to go do a family visit.
My character has no family and no partner to drag them away every other day dammit >_<

Okay, so I have learned that D&D Beyond has an app and you can roll dice with it. (Sorry for the spam) but how are you posting your results in the other thread?

I'm just doing a screenshot, but it does record a log for everyone in the campaign too, so Phil can go look any time. It would be nice if there was a widget that imported it!

Yes, I can see the dice rolls. Don't feel like you have to post proof in the thread but I won't stop you either. Can everyone see the rolls? If so uh...ignore those kobold rolls those are for....something else.

Yes, I can see the dice rolls. Don't feel like you have to post proof in the thread but I won't stop you either. Can everyone see the rolls? If so uh...ignore those kobold rolls those are for....something else.
Yeah, we all have access to the game log:

1658776180665.png

Yeah I just posted mine for reference here so we don't need to go back and forth, or if anyone is observing and wants to see under the hood, but we should all have access to the log that says the same. I believe DM rolls are hidden? I see only player rolls myself.

Ok, I used the character creator in D&D Beyond. Am I supposed to send a link of it to join the campaign? Do I just post the link in here? I haven't started a game this way, ever, so I'm going to have a learning curve. (Sorry, guys!)

Ok, I used the character creator in D&D Beyond. Am I supposed to send a link of it to join the campaign? Do I just post the link in here? I haven't started a game this way, ever, so I'm going to have a learning curve. (Sorry, guys!)
If you used the link, the character should have been created inside the campaign.

One question I did have, as I'm a bit unfamiliar with play by post games. Is it better for me to take an action and assume you'll want a roll for it preemptively and make that roll in the initial post then await your call on the outcome? Or should I be describing my intent, you then come back and say "make x roll/check", I make the roll and then we wait for your call?

I don't want to step on your toes by assuming outcomes of rolls I decided to make sort of thing.

One question I did have, as I'm a bit unfamiliar with play by post games. Is it better for me to take an action and assume you'll want a roll for it preemptively and make that roll in the initial post then await your call on the outcome? Or should I be describing my intent, you then come back and say "make x roll/check", I make the roll and then we wait for your call?

I don't want to step on your toes by assuming outcomes of rolls I decided to make sort of thing.
As a play-by-post DM, I prefer to have rolls made ahead of time if you think of it. It is okay if you don't, but I do find it helpful.

Reactions: Far

Great question! Feel free to take the initiative on out of combat rolls. If you walk into a room and want to roll perception (just looking around) or investigate (looking and touching and moving things) feel free to do the roll and then I'll describe the outcome. Let me know too if you're looking for a specific outcome with a roll or not.

I read a fantasy series that dealt with a gifted musician. They would play in taverns and patrons would buy them drinks. The musician would have an agreement with the bartender where the bartender would charge for a pint and serve the musician a watered down pint and the pair would split the difference. I think that could be a neat thing to develop. But not the rest of the character, that guy was OP AF.

So, sheesh, DNDBeyond, they sure like to nickel and dime you huh. Sheesh. $2 for a pact? Even for ones that are included in the PHB? Yuck.
But, working on it.
(So, yes, I spent yesterday manually entering stuff on PDF versions of the character sheet. Hadn't realized we were doing everything through DDB. Which is a great resource, apart from being inflexible and a bunch of money grabs wrapped up in a nice GUI :p )

Last edited:
So, sheesh, DNDBeyond, they sure like to nickel and dime you huh. Sheesh. $2 for a pact? Even for ones that are included in the PHB? Yuck.
But, working on it.
(So, yes, I spent yesterday manually entering stuff on PDF versions of the character sheet. Hadn't realized we were doing everything through DDB. Which is a great resource, apart from being inflexible and a bunch of money grabs wrapped up in a nice GUI :p )
The worst I find is if you own the physical version of the books, you have to rebuy it all again if you want to use it in beyond. I know this was a by-product of DDB being owned by one company while the books were published and owned by another but at this point, they've merged. Figure it out. Which I get is saying dump a massive revenue stream and won't happen but jesus.

Sorry for spamming :)

Just want to check:
@MindDetective - Warforged Monk
@HCGLNS- Half-Elven Bard
@Far - Dragonborn Life Cleric
@ScowlOwl - Lizardfolk Druid
@AnnaDei - Gnome Artificer
Bubble181 - Aarakocra Warlock
@Celt Z - Human Barbarian
@bhamv3 - Pack Mule?

Also, please ignore my two rolls, just testing how it works since I've never really used DDB before; and yes, of course I rolled a 19 and a nat20 for testing, these will be the last two rolls over 12 I'll make all campaign.

Last edited:
Hi, my name is Erithacus Rubecula.

As a young hatchling, the Breland military claimed me for the Kingdom. I don't know exactly what happened. I never got an explanation later on. I was assigned to the navy as a lookout - who better to keep an eye out for dangers than one who will happily stay afloat for hours at a time?

I spent quite a bit of time helping protect the ship I was assigned to, living and learning from the crew. Just before the end of the war, on our last voyage, we were plunged into an inexplicable darkness I couldn't see through. When the light returned, I was floating over an empty ocean.

This event shook me, and I decided I owed to my comrades to find out what happened. Searching the ocean tirelessly, I eventually found more hidden beyond the horizon than anyone might have expected. For their own, inscrutable purposes, the Fathomless spoke to me. Despite being a being of immense power around the seas, my patron claims they did not cause the destruction or disappearance of my ship. Instead, they have sent me back out onto Land - me, a being of the Air and the Sea - to act as...perhaps a liaison? Perhaps a diplomat? A scout? My patron does not seem to require worship, they're not a God - proselytizing is not needed. I have no idea why I felt drawn to the land, nor what is expected of me here. I've known little beyond the sea and have but hazy memories of my family - they're still out there somewhere, but I have no clue where or what happened to them.

After the disappearance of my ship, most people I've known are gone. I do still know some captains in the fleet, and in most harbors I'll be able to find someone to help me out with simple tasks related to ship maintenance and provisioning or tell me the latest port gossip.

---
Aarakocra are adult around 3 years of age, and only live to maybe 10 years. My character is just around 3-ish, so a young adult but pretty inexperienced. About 5 feet tall and 75-ish pounds Rubecula is small and light even by A standards. Not sure what nickname/calling name to use - Ruby, Eri, Becky...Haven't decided yet, so other characters can possibly experiment and annoy me with it :thumbsup: Since I didn't find an Aarakocra picture that fit my mind's view, imagine this picture as far as coloring/plumage goes, and add some humanoid traits. yes, I'm boring and went with an owl, shoot me :p

tumblr_7df1659276e771400f031f14170a5453_ba68e221_1280.png

Kind of weird. I used Chrome on my PC to roll my persuasion check but it is not logged there, but the roll appears in the APP on my phone.