[Announcement] Halforums official "I Voted" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A thread in which we check in that we voted.

It's that time of year where you can exercise your civic and civil rights by voting. As my civics and government teacher said in high school, "If you don't vote, you have no right to complain". The exceptions obviously being those who don't have the right to vote.

So, yeah, I voted this morning. Yay for my last name starting with an A because the other line was almost out the door.

Yep, mailed in my ballot (we're an all vote by mail state now). I seriously doubt that my vote will have any consequence in the national election; but there were several state measures that I was particularly interested in.

I have not yet voted, but that is because I spent the morning researching where to best place my support, rather than just going with the media flow.

And now off I go to piss in the ocean.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I have not yet voted, but that is because I spent the morning researching where to best place my support, rather than just going with the media flow.

And now off I go to piss in the ocean.

--Patrick
... what were you doing the last six months?

North_Ranger

Staff member
I voted... months ago in the Finnish presidential elections. My candidate didn't win.

I didn't vote in the municipal elections last week because of minor pains and there not being a candidate I could get behind.

My poll is just over half a mile away.

The walk back home took less time than the line at the place, and after I got there the line just continued to grow. It's going to be a long day for the election supervisors.

I voted... months ago in the Finnish presidential elections. My candidate didn't win.

I didn't vote in the municipal elections last week because of minor pains and there not being a candidate I could get behind.
Voted in both. Won and got in.

So you didn't vote in the municipal election, eh?

Managed to vote, though it was a bit more of a hassle than I had expected to be. I got to my normal polling place only to be told that the districts have been realigned so I need to go to the next district over and vote there. The crazy thing is that they changed the polling places around since the primaries.

Anyway, I make the detour to the new location and wait in line only to be told that I apparently had requested an absentee ballot and wasn't expected to vote in person at all. The problem is that I didn't request a ballot. Waiting in line to get that fixed added another half hour into an already too long process.

Our local supervisor of elections, he ran unopposed.

I voted!

Some lady in front of me acted like a deer in headlights. I waved her ahead so she could go first, and she just stared at me blankly and said "I don't know what I'm supposed to do." There was a giant sign saying "START HERE" at the front table. C'mon lady. It's not hard, you're too old to not understand how to do all this.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Voted in both. Won and got in.

So you didn't vote in the municipal election, eh?

Eh, you know how it is with Turku. Asshat developers, that dickwad who wants to ship out everyone darker than himself, and endless debates on where to slap a bridge.

Also, you're from Tampere. That's bad enough in itself. :trolol:

I also voted sixteen times in Ohio. With such low voter turnout it's surprisingly easy to impersonate someone with a fake utility bill. http://www.sos.state.oh.us/elections/Voters/FAQ/ID.aspx

The only limitation is waiting in line at sixteen different polling places, and there was some social engineering finding sixteen males about my age that were registered to vote but weren't going to vote. Fortunately both parties maintain voter registration lists that are very useful for finding people to impersonate.

Good thing they haven't forced photo ID requirements there!

/trollface

GasBandit

Staff member
Sucks for those of you with long lines. My polling place had no line, I got in, got done, got out in less than 5 minutes.

I did. Knocked him out, the little prick. Then I grabbed a pen and filled out the voting form.

Cajungal

Staff member
Done. I went this morning and stood in line before work, but I ended up having to leave before I could get in. :( So I returned after work, waited for an hour, and finally got to vote.

I voted. At 5:00 I was number 32 to vote, gotta love living in the middle of nowhere. I did have to wait about 5 minutes for someone else to finish up though. The polling station was someones house, and we slid the ballots into a slot cut into a rubbermaid container with the lid fastened down with zip ties.
I think last time I was around number 25 at the same time, so voting turnout is up this year.

Sucks for those of you with long lines. My polling place had no line, I got in, got done, got out in less than 5 minutes.
Yup. Apparently there was a period where they ran out of ballots and things were backed up for a couple hours. Fortunately my procrastination put me at the polls about 20min after all of this had cleared up.

--Patrick

Voted around 1:30pm EST. My father made a scene (of course!) when somebody handed him a flier well outside the "no campaigning" zone.

I agreed to go on a 150 mile business trip today... missed the closing of the poll. First presidential election that I missed in 24 years.

California sent my husband and I letters saying we were no longer registered to vote there since we missed 2 general elections (well, duh, we're not living there). Hawaii won't let us register because we claim California as our "home of record". Not a resident of the state, can't register to vote.

'Merica!

Status
Not open for further replies.