Happy Birthday Gusto!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are a measure of distance... it's a real astronomical term...

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

I believe the whole "less than 12 parsecs" thing is actually a nod to Han finding a "creative" (aka DANGEROUS) shorter hyperspace route to Kessel. I think hyperdrives are programmed to cut out when certain anomalies and gravitational fields are detected so the closer you travel to planets, asteroid fields and stars... the more distance you can shave off the trip. That's what the whole less than 12 parsecs thing refers to (in my mind anyways). Han was just that good at navigation that he came up with the most efficient route (even though it would probably be deemed batshit insane by most pilots).

I could also be horribly wrong... which has been known to happen frequently.

figmentPez

Staff member
There are multiple explanations for the parsec/Kessel run thing. I'm not sure which is cannon. One is that a parsec is a measure of time in the Star Wars universe. Another is that the Kessel Run involves transferring cargo between moving ships. I'm sure how many other explanations there are.

There are multiple explanations for the parsec/Kessel run thing. I'm not sure which is cannon. One is that a parsec is a measure of time in the Star Wars universe. Another is that the Kessel Run involves transferring cargo between moving ships. I'm sure how many other explanations there are.
Millennium Falcon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On the A New Hope DVD audio commentary, Lucas comments that, in the Star Wars universe, traveling through hyperspace requires careful navigation to avoid stars, planets, asteroids, and other obstacles, and that since no long-distance journey can be made in a straight line, the "fastest" ship is the one that can plot the "most direct course", thereby traveling the least distance.
This sounds like some bullshit after-the-fact weaseling to cover for a mistake, to me. But don't get me wrong...it's some pretty good bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.