Export thread

Happy Holidays, Halforums!

Emrys

Emrys

Thank you to my Halforums family for all of your love and support. Thank you for the hugs and the bro-fists. Thank you for listening to me bitch about grad students and crazy doomweasels. Thank you for sharing so much of your knowledge and nerdiness. I've learned an incredible amount on a wide variety of subjects over the years. Thank you for being a place of sanity in an insane world.

Wherever you are, however you celebrate, I wish you happiness and peace. I love you all.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Ditto what she said.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Happy Holidays to all.

Wherever you are, however you celebrate......

Cajungal

Cajungal

Love y'all, have a great day! @Cheesy I know you hate the holidays this year. Wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. You did a mature and kind thing for your family and I hope you can do some small thing just for you today. *hugs*

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

:D

Terrik

Terrik

Merry Christmas :)

evilmike

evilmike

Merry Christmas everyone!
christmas portland.jpg

Cog

Cog

Feliz Navidad a todos!

Mathias

Mathias

PatrThom

PatrThom

"Thanks for finally getting all those boxes out of the way."
tree4me.jpg

Here was our downstairs tree ("the big one").
tree.jpg

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good morning!

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gared

Gared

Happy Holidays everybody!

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Attachments

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Love y'all, have a great day! @Cheesy I know you hate the holidays this year. Wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. You did a mature and kind thing for your family and I hope you can do some small thing just for you today. *hugs*
Thanks hon. On the bright side, at least I haven't had to listen to my mom and sister bitch at each other the last few days. Sometimes silence really is golden.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Hey guys I just used a device called a phone book to find @Dave phone number to call and wish him a Merry Christmas! He was handling his meat so I left him a message.

But since he has unlimited long distance to Canada he called me right back!

Emrys

Emrys

A phone book? What is this magic of which you speak?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I think it's some new app. :p

Emrys

Emrys

I think it's some new app. :p
Oooo, I wonder if it's available for BlackBerry.

Dave

Dave

I was glazing my Christmas ham, if you know what I mean! And by that I mean I was holding my meat and covering it with a sweet brown sugar sauce.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to all of you..

I can't imagine a me without a you.

Emrys

Emrys

I was glazing my Christmas ham, if you know what I mean! And by that I mean I was holding my meat and covering it with a sweet brown sugar sauce.
Hey, whatever turns you on, cheri. We aren't judging.

Much. :popcorn:

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to all of you..

I can't imagine a me without a you.
Happy Hobo Christmas :)

Gryfter

Gryfter

Merry Merry and Happy Happy to all!

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Hobo holidays for sure!

Attachments

Gared

Gared

Also, a very big thank you to everyone who built new gaming rigs this year. I read every one of the build discussions and chose the GeForce GTX 750 Ti for my wife's Christmas present, since the video card that came with her "gaming rig" wasn't worth the silicon it was stamped on. She loves it, as it no longer means needing to take dramamine to play Skyrim.

drifter

drifter

Happy flu season!

Eriol

Eriol

Merry Christmas everybody.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I took a video of my girlfriend opening her present. Hilarity ensued. And threats. Lots of threats.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I took a video of my girlfriend opening her present. Hilarity ensued. And threats. Lots of threats.

Women should know by now that men wrap presents in 80% tape.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I never noticed (or perhaps this is just the first time I've heard you speak) how closely your voice matches that of the Canadian terrorist in Archer.

Emrys

Emrys

Dun dun duuuuuunnnn![DOUBLEPOST=1419543748,1419543575][/DOUBLEPOST]

Your girlfriend is precious and has the patience of a saint.

You're evil.

Anything tape-related she does to you - you totally deserve it.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Idea for a future Dill episode: he gets taped up and stuck to a wall!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Is there any way we could edit out Nick and highlight the cat more :)

Emrys

Emrys

Idea for a future Dill episode: he gets taped up and stuck to a wall!
That sounds like Dill fanfic.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Xmas at our place. Zombicide, Mice and Mystics, and roast leg of lambIMG_0494.JPG IMG_0495.JPG IMG_0497.JPG IMG_0500.JPG IMG_0501.JPG IMG_0502.JPG IMG_0504.JPG

Celt Z

Celt Z

This is the first chance i've had to sit down today. Merry Christmas everyone!

fade

fade

Sorry so late, but merry Christmas friends. Also, I am Groot!
image.jpg

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Your girlfriend is precious and has the patience of a saint.

You're evil.

Anything tape-related she does to you - you totally deserve it.
:unibrow:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Yeah, whatever you're thinking of would probably not be considered "bad punishment."

PatrThom

PatrThom

Also, a very big thank you to everyone who built new gaming rigs this year. I read every one of the build discussions and chose the GeForce GTX 750 Ti for my wife's Christmas present, since the video card that came with her "gaming rig" wasn't worth the silicon it was stamped on.
The GTX 750 Ti is the new 8800 GT (i.e., it's what developers will probably consider the "bottom end," and assume "Well, everyone out there has to at least have this as a minimum.")
Xmas at our place. Zombicide, Mice and Mystics, and roast leg of lamb
Holy shark, but that is a giant box of Nerds!

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, whatever you're thinking of would probably not be considered "bad punishment."
But I've been a bad, bad boy. :awesome:

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

But I've been a bad, bad boy. :awesome:
These things DO NOT sound like Nick's prom night.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

--Patrick
Yeah, I thought the boy was gonna faint when he opened it :) Nerds are his favorite

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Hey, whatever turns you on, cheri. We aren't judging.
I'm judging, but also taking notes for my book on sexual fetishes.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

I'm judging, but also taking notes for my book on sexual fetishes.
He's judging, grading, and keeping score. That's just how we roll here.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Chad Scores 3 Point 5.png

Emrys

Emrys

Chad is a harsh judge.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

What can I say, I've heard kinkier.

Emrys

Emrys

:popcorn:

Do tell.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Both my siblings were in town yesterday. :) It was great...I'm so happy. Little brother will be in Brooklyn next year, and who knows if we'll get to see him? So this was really special.

Gared

Gared

The GTX 750 Ti is the new 8800 GT (i.e., it's what developers will probably consider the "bottom end," and assume "Well, everyone out there has to at least have this as a minimum.")

--Patrick
That should be ok for quite a while, we're both several years behind on games, with the exception of a couple of early access games, and it'll probably take us until the 980 is the "bottom end" before we really need to upgrade further. Though I'm definitely getting myself a 750 Ti when I get a chance.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm definitely getting myself a 750 Ti when I get a chance.
Let's be honest...by the time you get a chance, I'd check around to see what else has come out. Even if it's only a month or two from now, the GPU people like to create those "in-between" models once the holiday crunch is done.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Spent the past 2 days eating great food, getting blitzed, and watching Christmas specials with family . A damn good holiday.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ah nothing like the sight of my six year old son chewing out his grandmother for acting like a child.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Got woken up by my daughter gleefully saying "Daddy, Santa came! Santa came!! Wake up wake up wake up!" (This was after insomnia kept me up til about 0300 or so). Son had a temperature of 102 overnight that was thankfully gone in the morning (teething related, possibly), so I got to see his wide-eyed expression when he saw the pile of toys that Santa had brought.

Daughter proved to be epicly awesome at opening presents. Wife was suitably confounded by my taping skills on her gift cards (She demanded gift cards instead of me trying and failing to get her sizes and tastes right... again), and enjoyed the plates I found for her that she wanted.

Me? I had the day off. That was all I needed - a day with family where I didn't have to go in to work later, like the last 3 years.

I also got a box o' beer, Steam and Amazon Gift cards, and Dark Souls for the X-Box; those were cool too.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Christmas was really good. Lots of gift cards for me & @AussieT . Loads of toys for the kids. An XBox One for all of us, plus a soundbar for the tv. Lots of cookies including three cookie/candy houses. A friend gave us a plate of 3 types of homemade fudge. Aussie has been off since Christmas Eve which has made this even nicer since most of the time he has to work over the holidays.

Looking forward to NYE!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Welp, today was MY family's christmas gathering.

Wow.

It was kinda...

Well let's just say I was surprised at an aunt's unabashed racism, and amused by two other stubborn-as-cold-iron little old ladies butting heads about traditions. Do we hand out all the presents first, or do we hand them out one by one, opening each before handing out the next? This was more important to them than anything happening in Ukraine, Washington, or anywhere else that was discussed over dinner previously.

Emrys

Emrys

Isn't family wonderful?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Forced once again to play the mindless and droning Phase 10 dice game, I need to find ways to amuse myself.

Two nights ago I tried to get the lowest score possible.

Last night played the entire game without uttering a word of English.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

You could have just drank like I did!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You could have just drank like I did!
Yeah but what's that gonna cost me?

Dirona

Dirona

One more day till 2 weeks off.

I love this season, but that was a bloody exhausting month.

Oh, and if you're one of the folks that gets dragged to church once a year for Christmas Eve/only goes willingly once a year on Christmas Eve - the minister/pastor/clergy is judging you; and we gripe about you with other clergy colleagues and have nicknames for you.

We're loving (and really damn tired by the time the 24th rolls around) that way.

And for those celebrating (even if it's just celebrating a day or 2 off work), enjoy and be safe.

fade

fade

The church my wife went to openly did it during the ceremony itself.

Emrys

Emrys

Including the nicknames?

Dirona

Dirona

The church my wife went to openly did it during the ceremony itself.
:facepalm:
Yikes.
That's just pathetic.
Professional standards people! Keep the griping between other clergy/other confidential locales.
Yeesh.

May I ask if there was a denominational affiliation? There are... certain trends with regards to training and professionalism that seem to have some denominational ties.

fade

fade

It was just light teasing. No nasty names or anything. It was all in good fun and light-hearted.

Dirona

Dirona

It was just light teasing. No nasty names or anything. It was all in good fun and light-hearted.
Phew. That's OK then.I was genuinely worried. Cuz I've heard stories... *shudder* there are some truly horrendous clergy out there, who are abusive to put it mildly, and have no business what-so-ever in a leadership position anywhere, let alone with vulnerable populations. They do a lot of damage, both on personal and community levels.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I would be one of those... if I go at all, I only go on Christmas Eve, to show my wife's congregation that she DOES have a husband, but he just doesn't attend services.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Phew. That's OK then.I was genuinely worried. Cuz I've heard stories... *shudder* there are some truly horrendous clergy out there, who are abusive to put it mildly, and have no business what-so-ever in a leadership position anywhere, let alone with vulnerable populations. They do a lot of damage, both on personal and community levels.
10 or so years back I remember an uncle of mine mentioning that the minister who performed a wedding he went to managed to work fire and brimstone into the wedding service, because he detected there were a lot of unbelievers in attendance.

Dirona

Dirona

10 or so years back I remember an uncle of mine mentioning that the minister who performed a wedding he went to managed to work fire and brimstone into the wedding service, because he detected there were a lot of unbelievers in attendance.
*snort*
I laugh only because I've seen worse. [And most often, the sermon is totally forgotten after the wedding is over, maybe remembered as a foot note, and kinda rightly so, The Word, while good to have (you hire clergy, you get a sermon), is not the point of the service.]

At a funeral.

For a teen.

Who committed suicide.

The rest of the clergy in town were beyond appalled.

Bones

Bones

my mother works for a catholic school attached to the very old, very conservative church named after the big man's right hand bringer of pain and justice. I am an unrelenting apostate, however I love my mother and so choose to give her a ride and walk her into church on Christmas. Father Smith proceeds to go all jokes about my mother raising a "wolf" in the midst of his flock. I almost died laughing. I suggested in rebuttal that sheep cant tell the difference between the sheep dogs and the wolves.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

I suggested in rebuttal that sheep cant tell the difference between the sheep dogs and the wolves.
I have never heard it more aptly put.

Bubble181

Bubble181

*snort*
I laugh only because I've seen worse. [And most often, the sermon is totally forgotten after the wedding is over, maybe remembered as a foot note, and kinda rightly so, The Word, while good to have (you hire clergy, you get a sermon), is not the point of the service.]

At a funeral.

For a teen.

Who committed suicide.

The rest of the clergy in town were beyond appalled.

Sadly, not only is suicide still considered by some to be a reason not to allow a Catholic funeral, I've actually heard the words "he'll burn in Hell for eternity" spoken by a priest to the grieving mother of a friend who chose euthanasia at 18 when he'd been struggling with terminal cancer for 3 years and had gotten blind and deaf. Let's just say that was - literally - the last time that mother set foot in a church.

Anyway, happy holidays to those who want it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Been avoiding posting part of my Christmas loot, because I didn't wanna make @LittleSin too jealous

This was a latex model, unpainted. My step-son put it together and painted it for me

PatrThom

PatrThom

Happy American Thanksgiving, Halforums. And also happy 12th birthday. Next year, you'll finally be a teen!

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Also...RIP Mikko.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Thread. So spot on.

evilmike

evilmike

PatrThom

PatrThom

Thread. So spot on.
over10over.png

Amen to this. The same is true of computer builds, except that then there's an extra zero.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

I just heard "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" for the first time in a long time. When I was a kid I used to laugh about it (much to my grandmother's consternation), but when I got older, I really wondered about this song: what kind of family lets their cleary-drunk grandmother wander out into snow by herself at night? And what kind of monsters carry on like nothing serious happened? Grandpa goes right back to watching football and playing cards. Aside from wearing black, the family is more concerned with getting their money back from Grandma's gifts. What kind of misanthropes are these people?!?

...and then I lived through the past 4 years and realized this song is more accurate depiction of an American family than every other Christmas song.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just heard "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" for the first time in a long time. When I was a kid I used to laugh about it (much to my grandmother's consternation), but when I got older, I really wondered about this song: what kind of family lets their cleary-drunk grandmother wander out into snow by herself at night? And what kind of monsters carry on like nothing serious happened? Grandpa goes right back to watching football and playing cards. Aside from wearing black, the family is more concerned with getting their money back from Grandma's gifts. What kind of misanthropes are these people?!?

...and then I lived through the past 4 years and realized this song is more accurate depiction of an American family than every other Christmas song.
It always bothered me that there seemed to be something unwholesome implied to be going on between Grandpa and Cousin whatsername.

Celt Z

Celt Z

It always bothered me that there seemed to be something unwholesome implied to be going on between Grandpa and Cousin whatsername.
Mel? I think that's a he.

EDIT: I quick scan says there is some disagreement whether its "Cousin Mel", "Cousin Nell" or "Cousin Belle".

GasBandit

GasBandit

Mel? I think that's a he.

EDIT: I quick scan says there is some disagreement whether its "Cousin Mel", "Cousin Nell" or "Cousin Belle".
I always heard Nell, but then the animated feature came out and it was Cousin Mel... but Mel was short for Melanie.

And she looked like THIS.

1608484149609.png

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

PatrThom

PatrThom

I mean, they’d still see it, it just wouldn’t be “red,” right? It would still be a point source illumination of indeterminate color.
Also let’s ignore the whole “can they fly?” part.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Has there been any testing to show that red is more, or less, effective at illuminating through fog than other wavelengths of visible light?

figmentPez

figmentPez

New mask for the season:
IMG_20201219_133349_902.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

Has there been any testing to show that red is more, or less, effective at illuminating through fog than other wavelengths of visible light?
...yyyes? At least, there has already been plenty of evidence showing that as the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation increases, the amount of energy required to get it to travel a fixed distance decreases. As such, since red has the longest wavelength, it should "reach" the farthest and be scattered less by fog. I seem to remember that is why neon tubes were chosen for beacons such as the one atop the Penobscot Building in Detroit, because that wavelength has such a loooong reach.

EDIT: I mention the above beacon because I remember being able to easily see it with the naked eye at night from a hill in Kensington Metropark, which is easily 35mi/60km away.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Got this email from Leila & Timo, Mikko's parents. Merry Christmas, all.

Thank you for your memories Mikko. We miss him deeply, we are grateful to see how his friends still remember and miss him after seven years.

IMG_0977.jpeg

picture Christmas crib was made together with Mikko in 1987.

We wish you, your family and Halforumites a Merry Christmas and a Happy, healty New Year 2021

Leila and Timo

chris

chris

I always heard Nell, but then the animated feature came out and it was Cousin Mel... but Mel was short for Melanie.

And she looked like THIS.

View attachment 36562
Maybe the music video will give some clarity:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Maybe the music video will give some clarity:
Yeah, I seem to remember that, reinforcing my squicky impression.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Merry Christmas, hosers!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Happy Bubble Birthday everybody, remember, for my birthday everybody gets presents!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

This year's perfect yule log video:

Emrys

Emrys

Happy freakin' Christmas, y'all.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Dang it, Emrys, I had finally forgotten this thing!

Cog

Cog

Muy Feliz Navidad Halforums.

I have very very few friends and I consider you part of that group. Have a happy holidays and take care.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Whew! For a minute, I thought you were going to link to "Flappie."

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

20201225_103339.jpg
This is me at work today. Several hot female coworkers smiled at me.

Happy holidays!

Emrys

Emrys

Dang it, Emrys, I had finally forgotten this thing!
Mwahahahahahahaha! There is no escape!

Simfers

Simfers

Merry Christmas, Halforums! Thank you for being here during the good and the bad.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Happy Holidays all!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I hope everyone has a lovely day! ❤

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Merry Christmas all!

jwhouk

jwhouk

BErt

BErt

Merry Christmas, Movie House!!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Merry Christmas!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals!

Emrys

Emrys

Happy holidays to some of the best people on earth. Yes, I'm talking about you. And you too. I love you all.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Merry ChristmaHanukKwanzaakEid to all of us.
But I admit the day I'm still most looking forward to is "EndOf2020" day.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

Yippee ki-yay motherfuckers!

Shawn

Shawn

Merry Christmas, family!

evilmike

evilmike

christmas 2020.png