Hate On: Best Albums of the Decade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have purchased maybe 4 complete albums from this last decade. Since I can buy individual songs, I've stopped buying whole albums.

I think I have purchased maybe 4 complete albums from this last decade. Since I can buy individual songs, I've stopped buying whole albums.
Man, I almost always buy full albums.
I feel that, with at least some artist, an album is a journey to take, and if you only take one song you miss out on the depth it might really hold in context.

Granted, I'm sure with most modern mainstream bands that's less and less of an issue... but some still exist.

ElJuski

Staff member
I usually give an album a full listen-through, because an album still is a full piece of work. That's why I think (and hope) that the album concept doesn't die--an artist has focus there, and you can run different themes, sounds, etc. through the album format.

There are some bands though that I just get the appropriate songs...mostly the Top 40 business, usually.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I've also found that most of my favourite song almost any given album is one that was never on the radio, never been a video, or never even played at a concert I've attended. The only way I'd have heard the song was by listening to the whole album.

So yeah, I've always bought my music as full albums. Perhaps that's mostly because I still only buy physical copies of CDs, but I still listen to my music as albums the vast majority of the time, even though all my CDs are ripped to the computer and on my iPod.

So, I can make a top 10 list on this topic. Warning: you won't know who most (7) of these bands are unless you're Canadian.

10) Little Songs to Fuck to by David Usher. I wrote out the full title as suggested inside the liner notes because it just sounds way more daring of the artist for his first solo album after the band he was with disbanded. It's a trippy little album of 10 quiet songs about not very much at all. It gave me so much hope for his solo career, which has been successful, but took a direction completely different than this album would have suggested.

Best Line: Not as pretty as I thought I'd be / another symptom of my damn disease

9) The Wonderful World of... by the Pursuit of Happiness. The band's last album, it doesn't even include any of their best songs but it's such a fun little ride through a late 90's concept album that mirrors a relationship, starting with such joy and ending in tears, rage and bitterness.

Best Line: I'm too uptight, Protestant, middle-class white boy to have any real fun

8) Good Weird Feeling by the Odds. Pop Rock, I don't even know what to say about it except that it's fun to listen to with some interesting music.

Best Line: I try on you lipstick, I try on clothes / I wanna be you for a little while

7) Mercedes Five and Dime by Moist. This was David Usher's band. This was their last album. It's a mellower affair than their other albums but it still rocks.

Best Line: Feel the asthma fill the afternoon / what a glorious gloom to be making my way through

6) Faithlift by Spirit of the West. Like with the previous two entries on this list, I'm kinda stuck on what to say about this album. Like those previous two, it's really just that every song on it is a good solid listen.

Best Line: Debbie did Dallas, yeah? So did I!

5) Scenery and Fish by I Mother Earth. These guys were art school musicians or something, and they liked to jam away. A lot of the songs, especially on the first album, are meandering long pieces with them trying to show off their skill. On this, their second and last album with the original members, they focused their songs into more structured pieces, yet conclude it with a jamming homage to their idol Carlos Santana.

Best Line: It swells a vein that the only things that are keeping me awake are reruns of the Mod Squad and cartoons

4) Neptune by The Northern Pikes. This band was fricking fun to watch in concert. They seemed to make their songs so much better live. Perhaps the studio restrained them too much in that regard, I don't know. But this their last album (ignoring the reunion work a decade later) seemed to break through that somewhat. Yet the songs from this still sounded better live.

Best Line: When I'm inside of you I'll do what you want me to

3) Whore by Dalbello. I discovered this 1980s pop star (and song writer behind the scenes for other people) because she did some guest vocal work on Alex Lifeson's solo album. This album, released in the nineties, is significantly unlike her previous work, however. Or perhaps it was just an update for the times. It's a stunning collection of songs of a woman's anger and frustration.

Best Line: Thou shalt not take a woman in vain, thou shalt not take another woman

2) A Farewell to Kings by Rush. I had to pick one from them, and this just stands out more than the rest. Just one weak song keeps it from being perfect.

Best Line: Yeah, I don't listen to Rush for the words, man.

1) Feedback by Rush. Man, this is what I want Rush to do. Just faithfully remake the best songs of the sixties with a modern sound.

Best Line: I've got values but I don't know how or why.

Comment: It's kinda weird that most of the albums I picked were the last by a band, and very few of the albums actually contain a band's greatest songs. It's just that all the songs on a given album (with the exception of A Farewell to Kings) were good.

Gruebeard, are those real bands or didja make them up? Except Rush, I've heard of that guy. Don't care for his politickin' but, man, can Limbaugh belt one out.

K

Kitty Sinatra

As I said, you rather have to be Canadian to have heard of them. While they were all big here at some point, only Rush made much of a dent outside Canada.

ElJuski

Staff member
I have heard of Pursuit of Happiness! In fact I'm listening to the song "I'm an Adult Now" just because you made me search iTunes to doublecheck that I knew these guys.

1 Apples in Stereo - New Magnetic Wonder
2 Vampire Weekend - vampire weekend
3 T.I. - Paper Trail
4 the thermals - the body the blood the machine
5 Office - Q&A
6 The Postal Service - Give Up
7 Panic at the disco - Pretty Odd
8 Phoenix - It's never been like that
9 Lady Gaga - The Fame
10 The Hold Steady - Stay Positive

My personal list. In absolutely no particular order and I'm probably missing something major but ohwell:

10. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
9. Pedro the Lion - Control
8. Johnny Cash - American !V: The Man Comes Around
7. Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
6. Rob Zombie - Educated Horses
5. Foo Fighters - Echos, Silence, Patience & Grace
4. Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been: Still
3. The Postal Service - Give Up
2. Marilyn Manson - Holy Wood
1. Radiohead - Amnesiac

Bonus Albums:
Tool - 10,000 Days
Them Crooked Vultures - New Fang

K

Kitty Sinatra

I have heard of Pursuit of Happiness! In fact I'm listening to the song "I'm an Adult Now" just because you made me search iTunes to doublecheck that I knew these guys.
Ah yes. That's quite the song. The whole album that's from (Love Junk) is gold, too. The only reason it didn't make the list is that I decided to choose only one from any single band (yes, Rush deserves to be on such a list twice) . . . and in a way Love Junk is their best album, but that could be said about any of their albums; which one made the list was really just a matter of my mood at the time.

There are other albums by other bands that should've been on my list, too. For example:

Smilin' Buddha Cabaret by 54-40. This band is probably most well known in the US by their song I Go Blind as performed by Hootie and the Blowfish. They've been around almost as long as Rush and each album they put out sounds significantly different, from "modern dance music" (modern as in early 80s, so it would sound dated to all of you here) to jangle rock; this album, though, is punk-inspired. They've never written a bad song, although some take some getting used to.

Most Memorable Line: Blame your parents broken iimage / blame the counter culture and the global village.

Blood Red Cherry by Jann Arden. This singer of near-adult contemporay rock gained popularity around the same time as Celine Dion. However, the music was better (for a rock music fan), the singing was more engaging, and the lyrics were far more interesting. This album was not actually her best - that would be Living Under June - but I chose it for it's most memorable and least adult-contemporary line:

Most Memorable Line: Bare butting on an apple crate bench / do my face in the loft of the barn / I touch myself on the old chaise lounge - I'm goin' to town with my best dress on

And then if I was to move outside of Canada, I'd include 3 more:

Green by REM. This album and their next, Out of Time, was their transition from unknown to huge draw, from being good to selling out. It's as perfect an album as a band can make; their A Farewell to Kings or Led Zeppelin 4.

Girlfriend by Matthew Sweet. I believe this album gave birth to the anime music video, as then two big singles from it were made into such before the internet really existed. Today it seems the singer's a fat out of key Neckbeard, but oh well.

Led Zeppelin 4. What needs to be said? Stairway to Heaven is the weakest song on it. This was their A Farewell to Kings or Green.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Oh. Well. Crap. I'm apparently stuck in the, uh, not this decade anyway. The only album I mentioned from this decade was Feedback . . . . and that's just songs from the sixties.

I probably should read the thread title a little more closely, eh?

Oh. Well. Crap. I'm apparently stuck in the, uh, not this decade anyway. The only album I mentioned from this decade was Feedback . . . . and that's just songs from the sixties.

Considering there are only 3 of us reading this thread I wouldn't worry. :p

K

Kitty Sinatra

Just the same, I might as well rename my list "Top 10 Canadian Albums in Gruebeard's Collection"

My personal list. In absolutely no particular order and I'm probably missing something major but ohwell:

10. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
9. Pedro the Lion - Control
8. Johnny Cash - American !V: The Man Comes Around
7. Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
6. Rob Zombie - Educated Horses
5. Foo Fighters - Echos, Silence, Patience & Grace
4. Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been: Still
3. The Postal Service - Give Up
2. Marilyn Manson - Holy Wood
1. Radiohead - Amnesiac

Bonus Albums:
Tool - 10,000 Days
Them Crooked Vultures - New Fang
Espy, I'd like to buy you a beverage of your choice.

P

Philosopher B.

This be some of the shit from this hurr decade which gets the most play from me:

1) Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
2) Broken Boy Soldiers - The Raconteurs
3) Deltron 3030 - Deltron 303
4) Sam's Town - The Killers
5) Dying to Say This to You - The Sounds
6) Discovery - Daft Punk
7) Love on the Inside - Sugarland
8) Volume One - She and Him
9) Begin To Hope - Regina Spektor
10 Oral Fixation Vol. 1 & 2 - Shakira

Taking a cue from the smoking baby: Bonus albums: Robyn - Robyn, Icky Thump - White Stripes, and Stankonia - Outkast.

And yes, I put a country album on there. I listen to a single country band, and they are fucking magnificent.

ElJuski

Staff member

Considering there are only 3 of us reading this thread I wouldn't worry. :p[/QUOTE]

:) :( :) :(

Yeah, I want to respond more to your guys' selections, but I don't want to be that guy responding to every other post. But yes, you have all gave me things to reconsider...and also things I got really mad at and yelled at for you to think was THE BEST OF.

:p

Dave

Staff member
I can't talk about anything in this thread because I'd be comparing piles of shit to slightly warm piles of shit.

Sorry. Not a big fan of current music.

Dave

Staff member
I can't talk about anything in this thread because I'd be comparing piles of shit to slightly warm piles of shit.

Sorry. Not a big fan of current music.
awww old people are so adorable[/QUOTE]

Sorry. I have problems with overproduced crap by people who can't hold a tune in real life and can't do a live show without lip syncing.

If that makes me old then so be it.

ElJuski

Staff member
overproduced crap by people who can't hold a tune in real life and can't do a live show without lip syncing.
This also comprises every single album that's come out in the last 10 years.[/QUOTE]

Only the popular ones I have been forced to listen to.[/QUOTE]

You should, uh, start with the top 5 list in the link at the top of the page. And work down through most of the bands that are listed in this thread.

AND THEN YOU SHOULD MAKE YOUR VAST GENERALIZATION ;)

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Better yet, I will send you a Mix CD so you can play on your audio machine of choice.

Dave

Staff member
overproduced crap by people who can't hold a tune in real life and can't do a live show without lip syncing.
This also comprises every single album that's come out in the last 10 years.[/quote]

Only the popular ones I have been forced to listen to.[/quote]

You should, uh, start with the top 5 list in the link at the top of the page. And work down through most of the bands that are listed in this thread.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Better yet, I will send you a Mix CD so you can play on your audio machine of choice.[/QUOTE]

That would be cool. Or I could go through the list and find some MP3s that fell off the back of a truck and listen to them.

HA! I had to explain to my wife what the "fell off the back of a truck" phrase meant the other day. I was very surprised she didn't know since she loves mob movies.

This also comprises every single album that's come out in the last 10 years.[/quote]

Only the popular ones I have been forced to listen to.[/quote]

Better yet, I will send you a Mix CD so you can play on your audio machine of choice.[/QUOTE]

That would be cool. Or I could go through the list and find some MP3s that fell off the back of a truck and listen to them.[/QUOTE]

So what do you listen to then Dave? Didn't you just got to like a Blink 182 concert or Godsmack or something? I think you need to track down some of the stuff in this thread. Have you heard the Them Crooked Vultures stuff yet?

Okay so. THE LIST. I'm going to attempt to get a blurb about each one, and pick a track or two that (hopefully) aren't singles. Might slip on the last one though, it's a tough call on a few of these.

10.Panic At The Disco - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out: Initially I heard these guys in my close-minded phase, when I thought all the Fueled By Ramen bands would be utter shit (METAL FUCK YEAH). I was proven wrong here. These guys have a good ear for catchy hooks and they get it right on nearly every song. I've never been a fan of the filler track idea, though, such as the intro and segue. It works well for this album though, tying the techno beat-backed first half of the album to the piano-fueled second half. Check out Camisado and Build God, Then We'll Talk.

9. Brand New - Deja Entendu: I love this album. It's a band I took a risk on, buying on the behest of a friend, and I'm glad I did. This album is easily the best, though I will admit it's a bit on the depressing side in parts. All in all the songs flow well but they're not too similar, and the lead and backup singers are great at putting some emotion in the tracks. It was hard to put this album so low, but I lost it for a long time and it's honestly not as fresh in my mind as the others. Still, though, give I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light and I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't a listen.

8. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium: I really wish I could have dipped into the late 90's, as Californication is still one of the best albums ever. However, this double-disc monster is worth every penny. It's a return to the old RHCP funk in parts, but a push of the new mellow feel they picked up in the late 90's early millennium. It almost feels like an anthology or a greatest hits, but it's all new songs and they're all awesome. It's rare to find such a large collection of tracks that I can listen to from one CD to the next all the way through, but this album manages it with ease. Wet Sand, Snow (Hey Oh) and C'mon Girl are all great tracks.

7. System of A Down - Toxicity: The best SoaD album to date. Great from start to finish with more energy than one album should be able to handle. Definitely not for everyone, but I love it. Jet Pilot and Deer Dance are by far the strangest tracks, but two of my favorites.

6. Ben Folds - Rockin' The Suburbs: Good ol' Ben. He's been doing great work since the 90's and in his solo years he hasn't let up. It was a really tough call between this one and Songs For Silverman, but Fred Jones Pt. 2 makes this album, as it's one of my favorite songs of all time (of all time!). Amazing piano work as always, and a very Elton John flair for catchy songs, whether a single or not. Fred Jones, Pt. 2 and Zak and Sara are the tops.

5. A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms: Just plain old beautiful. I honestly have trouble putting this to words. Reinholder and Magdelena are amazing, as is The Hollow. Just a fantastic album.

4. The Darkness - Permission To Land: This one came out of nowhere for me. I was just getting into classic rock, and heard this on MTv2 (when it still had music). I had thought they were in some kind of classic rock block, but apparently this was a new band. It's only 10 tracks but they make use of every second. Ridiculous solos, wailing vocals and it fills every inch of your speakers with sexy, sexy rock. Love On The Rocks With No Ice and Friday Night are solid tracks.

3. Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies: This was another hard choice. All of FM's albums were released in the 2000's, but I had to go with this one. I feel it best represents what the band is all about, and contains the best tracks all in all. There's the usual mix of punk and folk, but they definitely found their sound here. The Kilburn High Road and Death Valley Queen stand out the most to me.

2. Foo Fighters - One By One: One of the few albums I can listen to from start to finish with no skipping of tracks, over and over again. Also one of the best FF albums. Every song is awesome, either rolling hard like thunder or mellow like water, and inspired regardless of tempo. Taylor Hawkins really comes into his own on this album as well, considering it almost wasn't made due to his alcohol rehab. Check out tracks like Lonely As You and Disenchanted Lullaby.

1. Incubus - Morning View: And here we have number one. This is, I believe, the best Incubus album. It was the last made with Dirk Lance, the original bassist of the band, but it's a great mix of old and new Incubus. The band has constantly evolved and changed sound since starting out, and this is where they really seem to find the right groove. It's not the final attempt at a new sound, but you can tell it's close to what they were looking for. Aqueous Transmission is one of the most beautiful tracks I've ever heard, and Blood On The Ground is a great hard-hitting tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.