Export thread

Have you splurged on yourself lately?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

My wife and I were shopping at Wegman's today, and I decided to splurge and buy some Gyokuro tea from the Uji district. At $199/lb, it is quite a luxury.
I didn't buy a pound of it, of course. I bought .05 lbs (.8 oz) ...just enough for a few cups of tea, for $10. I ain't crazy ;)

Sometimes, when I splurge on something like this, I really can't detect that much difference in quality. But in this case, I am really taken by this tea. It tastes like green tea, sure, but it is extremely smooth and mellow, without that harsh hay-like or powdery taste that restaurant green tea can have. The green tea flavor gives way to something a lot more complex and earthy..it's really delicious.

What was the last thing you splurged on for yourself?

phil

phil

I'll buy a hearthstone pack or two every now and again just as a little treat for myself. I shouldn't because that shit adds up and all but you know...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Every couple of weeks, we dip into non-spending funds and get Chipotle, usually because I'm working overtime yet again without time to cook or because I forget to plan a meal for Saturday.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My parents gave me money for my impending graduation. I spent it on a bunch of little things, including this Wonder Woman shirt, and it was glorious.
10298415_hi.jpg

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Super Smash bros, and Grim Fandango remastered...which my current old ass laptop can't play but I plan on getting a new computer sooner or later so whatevs.

blotsfan

blotsfan

For Valentines yesterday my girlfriend and I went to a very nice restaurant. Their valentines meal was an appetizer, soup or salad, entree, and dessert. The meal was a bit over $200, so obviously not a regular thing, but it was delicious and definitely a nice treat.

Gared

Gared

Sadly, my wife and I spent most of last year splurging on ourselves, as we discovered ourselves with quite a lot of disposable income. The most spectacular bit of it that I can think of was when we ordered real French cheeses from Fromages.com and had them flown here from Paris for Christmas, to go with the salami we ordered from Olympic Provisions, because we didn't want to drive to the nearest fine cheese and salami shop, which is 2 hours away. The experience was worth the cost. I'd even do it again this Christmas, but only once a year.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Spent $125 on a pocket knife.

phil

phil

That reminds me that I've been eyeing a sharpening stone on amazon.

One day, Phil, one day.

Bones

Bones

My parents gave me money for my impending graduation. I spent it on a bunch of little things, including this Wonder Woman shirt, and it was glorious.
I wondered where this came from and now I know...
due to the promotion and increase in pay, went ahead and splurged on anime, and keeping my eye on a couple more things on ebay to finish out my paycheck. :3

Dave

Dave

Last July. $1200 computer.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Bass and amp as previously posted. Wasn't going to let car repairs or hospital stay stop me.

fade

fade

A couple of years ago now, I dropped almost 2 grand on a bicycle. I ride a lot, and my 12 year old $350 Trek 820 mountain bike wasn't cutting it for what I wanted to do nowadays. I bought a Canondale CAADX cyclocross. I kept the trek for trail riding. Well, until my son left it in the front yard and it walked away one night.

Cajungal

Cajungal

We bought tickets to the book of mormon and it easy FUCKING AWESOME and totally worth it.

Zappit

Zappit

Celt Z

Celt Z

I bought myself a dress. I try not to spend money on myself since I left my job, but the last dress I bought for formal events has been worn to at least 5 weddings and 3 formal occasions.
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed because I ordered it online just by measurements.
ChiChi_AW_16071419846__61054_std.jpg

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I bought a box full of holiday themed stuffed bears!

mikerc

mikerc

Last big splurge was Ice. Anyone else wanting one should order soon as I believe they're almost sold out.

Emrys

Emrys

Not recently but there's a new MST3K box set coming out next month.

grub

grub

I bought a new-to-me set of Irons yesterday. They might be 25 years old but fit better than my thrift store set.

Bones

Bones

I bought myself a dress. I try not to spend money on myself since I left my job, but the last dress I bought for formal events has been worn to at least 5 weddings and 3 formal occasions.
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed because I ordered it online just by measurements.
you will wear it better...

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Just bought my first new pair of sunglasses in 3 years. I'm not one to lose sunglasses or break them (gotta love that the lenses are interchangeable) and will have these for years to come. My last pair, that I still have and wore today, are a cheap little bodyglove wrap around pair.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think I'm going to have to splurge on a new office chair soon. I'm pretty sure the one I have is about to break off at the mechanism and dump me on the floor.

Enresshou

Enresshou

This was more of a planned splurge, but the wife and I (mostly I) picked up a Majora's Mask New 3DS XL last week. I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan, and we both wanted the "head tracking 3D" feature it has, so...yay new tech.

David

David

I'm also thinking of getting the New 3DS. I've never owned any DS system before, would it better for me to cheaply pick up the last 3DS generation?

fade

fade

I think I'm going to have to splurge on a new office chair soon. I'm pretty sure the one I have is about to break off at the mechanism and dump me on the floor.
That's what she said.

Shakey

Shakey

A couple of years ago now, I dropped almost 2 grand on a bicycle. I ride a lot, and my 12 year old $350 Trek 820 mountain bike wasn't cutting it for what I wanted to do nowadays. I bought a Canondale CAADX cyclocross. I kept the trek for trail riding. Well, until my son left it in the front yard and it walked away one night.
Jealous...

I haven't splurged in a long time. Upcoming wedding and house repairs/upgrades to make it more livable for 3 have taken up about all my spending money. I would really like a new mountain or cyclocross bike. I have my eye on a mountain bike, but we'll see if I can swing it. Most likely not.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's what she said.
Actually, not this one, but "she" actually was (at least half) responsible for the breaking of more than one previous chair in that room ... :whistling:

Enresshou

Enresshou

I'm also thinking of getting the New 3DS. I've never owned any DS system before, would it better for me to cheaply pick up the last 3DS generation?
It honestly depends on a couple factors. Since you don't have a 3DS I'd lean towards "yes."

There are currently three iterations of the 3DS hardware: the 3DS, the 3DS XL and the New 3DS XL. The only difference between the "regular" 3DS and the 3DS XL is the size; here's a comparison: http://i2.cdnds.net/12/27/618x463/gaming_3ds_xl_hands_on_11.jpeg . Based solely on size, I much prefer the 3DS XL (fits my hands better), but you definitely can't just cart the 3DS XL around in your pockets like you could with a regular 3DS.

The New 3DS XL has several hardware improvements; mainly it has a "nub" (meant to serve as a second analogue stick), it has a better processor (loads games faster), has two additional shoulder buttons and comes with built-in Amiibo support. While those are nice, I think what makes it most worthwhile to me is the fact that the New 3DS XL has face-tracking 3D. The 3D on the first two generations of hardware works spectacularly, except you need to hold the console/your head still or else it goes kinda wonky. As a result, I never played with the 3D on; in contrast, I have yet to turn it off with the New 3DS simply because it makes the games much more immersive.

If price is the main factor, though, I'd probably just get a 3DS XL. A bunch of people are dumping theirs for the new model, and I've seen them go as low as $95 (or $150 with a bunch of games) on Reddit's /r/gameswap or /r/hardwareswap, as well as on Craigslist.

Dei

Dei

I can fit an XL in my back pocket, and I have girl pants...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Enresshou

Enresshou

Fair enough; to clarify, I normally just preferred to leave my 3DS in my front pocket (along with my cell phone) and my first impression with the 3DS XL was, "...huh. I need a carrying case for that."

I also have an aversion to taking stuff out of my pockets/leaving it somewhere during the day (like in a desk) because I'm constantly on the move, so that may play a role in it.

Dei

Dei

Just get a murse.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Mine is super boring, but I replaced my tattered old winter topcoat with a new much higher-quality one that won't look out of place over either casual or business or dressy attire.

Dei

Dei

10898084_721121247984004_1623819788547230892_n.jpg

I have a great butt. :p (I'm the zebra)

GasBandit

GasBandit

View attachment 17517

I have a great butt. :p (I'm the zebra)
Hrm.. It's a little blurry... can't quite make it out... I'm going to need more photographs of your butt. For verification.

Cajungal

Cajungal

If we get a decent tax return, we're gonna buy a mattress to replace the one that's almost as old as me...

fade

fade

Hrm.. It's a little blurry... can't quite make it out... I'm going to need more photographs of your butt. For verification.

fade

fade

Jealous...

I haven't splurged in a long time. Upcoming wedding and house repairs/upgrades to make it more livable for 3 have taken up about all my spending money. I would really like a new mountain or cyclocross bike. I have my eye on a mountain bike, but we'll see if I can swing it. Most likely not.
I really like the cyclocross bike. It's a really good bike for light trails and mud, yet it has the gearing and ride position of a road bike. That it's designed to be carried over the shoulder is really useful for carrying it up onto the dam fire road by me. There are usually cheap organized cyclocross races you can join on the weekends.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm away, and while I'm away, I have to be thrifty with my money so the folks back home can still make ends meet.
So "splurging" for me was lunch a couple days ago:
Pork shoulder roast with apple cider jus

Oven-roasted pork shoulder marinated with roasted garlic and herbs, topped with cider jus. Served with ginger-braised apple and fennel, rutabaga puree, and wild arugula salad. Garnished with crispy carrot shavings.
The best part? It was only $8, and worth every penny of it, too. Mmm...
--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

I really like the cyclocross bike. It's a really good bike for light trails and mud, yet it has the gearing and ride position of a road bike. That it's designed to be carried over the shoulder is really useful for carrying it up onto the dam fire road by me. There are usually cheap organized cyclocross races you can join on the weekends.
I live on a gravel road, and being able ride on that to the pavement and take off would be nice. That's my main motivation for getting one. There are some nice MTB trails near me where a nice MTB would come in handy though. My guess is I'll get more use out of the cyclocross bike.

Krisken

Krisken

If we get a decent tax return, we're gonna buy a mattress to replace the one that's almost as old as me...
That's our plan too! I never thought the idea of a new mattress could feel exciting.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I shop online more often than I should. I just purchased a Fallout hoodie and fallout t-shirt from Bethesda. I guess that's splurging. I needed a new hoody, don't really need a new t-shirt right now but they were 50% off.

fade

fade

That's our plan too! I never thought the idea of a new mattress could feel exciting.
First thing we did when I moved from academia to private industry: Buy a new mattress.

We'd already sawed the box spring when we lived in Boston because it wouldn't fit up the stairs of the old house we were renting, so it was niiiiice.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Negotiate heavily when buying a mattress. They usually have 5X markup or more.

I've gotten a $1900 mattress for $800 before, and they still made plenty of profit.

It's easier to negotiate with a floor manager, as the sales guy won't want to give up his commission, whereas the manager's bonuses come from total sales.

Don't get suckered in by the pressure of a "limited time sale". All mattress places run sales all year round. I've never driven by a mattress place that didn't have a sale going on. And you can use that fact as leverage in your negotiations. I told a guy once "This is what I want to pay, and Mattress Warehouse is a quarter mile up the road and will give it to me. But I'm in your store, and don't want to drive down there if I don't have to. But I will--so meet me on the price. Some commission is better than none." Bang, $250 off on the spot.

I've also called ahead to 5 different mattress stores to pre-negotiate, and told each one: "I'm calling these X stores...I have cash in hand. You all sell Serta. I'm buying from the guy who gives me the best deal." Sometimes they won't deal with you on the phone that way, but sometimes they will.

That said: Don't be afraid to walk away. There are a million mattress stores out there. Call and shop around. You will eventually get a better deal than if you just buy one without negotiating.

Source: Used to do computer work for a furniture store, and have been to the big annual furniture convention in Tupelo Mississippi. I know what stores really pay for stuff and so am confident in negotiations.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Negotiate heavily when buying a mattress. They usually have 5X markup or more.

I've gotten a $1900 mattress for $800 before, and they still made plenty of profit.

It's easier to negotiate with a floor manager, as the sales guy won't want to give up his commission, whereas the manager's bonuses come from total sales.

Don't get suckered in by the pressure of a "limited time sale". All mattress places run sales all year round. I've never driven by a mattress place that didn't have a sale going on. And you can use that fact as leverage in your negotiations. I told a guy once "This is what I want to pay, and Mattress Warehouse is a quarter mile up the road and will give it to me. But I'm in your store, and don't want to drive down there if I don't have to. But I will--so meet me on the price. Some commission is better than none." Bang, $250 off on the spot.

I've also called ahead to 5 different mattress stores to pre-negotiate, and told each one: "I'm calling these X stores...I have cash in hand. You all sell Serta. I'm buying from the guy who gives me the best deal." Sometimes they won't deal with you on the phone that way, but sometimes they will.

That said: Don't be afraid to walk away. There are a million mattress stores out there. Call and shop around. You will eventually get a better deal than if you just buy one without negotiating.

Source: Used to do computer work for a furniture store, and have been to the big annual furniture convention in Tupelo Mississippi. I know what stores really pay for stuff and so am confident in negotiations.
Related: Why are there so many Sleepy's Mattress Stores?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Negotiate heavily when buying a deck, poker table, fence. They usually have 5X markup or more.

Boom! Deck and fence and man cave :-P

(I kid, of course)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Boom! Deck and fence and man cave :-P

(I kid, of course)
Harder to negotiate on consumer electronics and labor.

But trust me, I'm going to try ;)

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know what stores really pay for stuff and so am confident in negotiations.
This sounds like the best advice for going into any sort of negotiation.

--Patrick

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

For my whole family it would be our trip to Maui in May. It'll be our first family vacation.

Krisken

Krisken

Welp, I get to splurge on an X-Box one to help improve my Diablo 3 addiction. Good thing they let you transfer characters once.

Dei

Dei

I'm getting a new car whee!

Zappit

Zappit

Picked up the New 3DS XL today, then had to go get a micro SD card from Best Buy. Had to find one for me and one for my brother. There was one store in the (seemingly) entire region that had any left, and as of their closing last night, they had two left. Got there around opening today, and boom - both were still there. I haven't set it all up yet, but that's on the to-do list tomorrow.

drifter

drifter

Thinking about heading down to Target and picking up some socks.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Thinking about heading down to Target and picking up some socks.
Due to my near 3-year joblessness back in 2000, I have such a hard time replacing things like socks if they have even the most minimal usefulness.

I finally bought 2 packs of socks at Walmart the other day, and threw all of my old, holey socks away that I've had since I got married. My wife was overjoyed.

I still haven't replaced the XXL knit boxers I have that I can now pull up to my armpits. It kills her.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Today I plan to go forth and buy that which is the height of consumer decadence- the ottoman.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Today I plan to go forth and buy that which is the height of consumer decadence- the ottoman.
You're going for the totally Bacchanal lifestyle, I can tell.

Dei

Dei

Can't take it out right now because mother nature finally read the weather forecast, but eeeeeeee.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I am terrible at haggling. I paid $200 for an ottoman and I'm pretty sure I overpaid, upon later reflection.

But it does make it much more comfy to watch TV from the couch.

PatrThom

PatrThom

If they're out, see if they have any hassocks.
[DOUBLEPOST=1424568179,1424568118][/DOUBLEPOST]

Can't take it out right now because mother nature finally read the weather forecast, but eeeeeeee.
PLEASE do not sit in the garage revving the engine. I know it's new, it will still be waiting for when you can legitimately take it out.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

PLEASE do not sit in the garage revving the engine. I know it's new, it will still be waiting for when you can legitimately take it out.

--Patrick
That's how I lost my mother.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That's how I lost my mother.
I assume, however, that SHE was not doing so because she was overcome with excitement for her new vehicle.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I assume, however, that SHE was not doing so because she was overcome with excitement for her new vehicle.

--Patrick
That would be a correct assumption.

Dei

Dei

Man, it's a hybrid, there really is no such thing as revving the engine. :p

Dei

Dei

Also, this is an excellent way to get me to slam on my brakes less. Gamer mentality wins again!
uploadfromtaptalk1424652188234.jpg

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Today I splurged: I got 2 cans of this, a tall Monster, a bag of gummi sharks...... plus 2 donuts

Dei

Dei

I will not mention the amount of times I got myself into a crazy hyperactive state drinking Surge during finals week at college.

Dave

Dave

We splurged last night and bought a new oven. Not exactly a real splurge as we didn't have a choice. Our paycheck was in the bank about the length of time a formula one car spends in the pits.

Gared

Gared

We splurged last night and bought a new oven. Not exactly a real splurge as we didn't have a choice. Our paycheck was in the bank about the length of time a formula one car spends in the pits.
Oh, are we counting things that have to be bought now? If that's the case, we splurged the hell out of ourselves last weekend when we paid all of our late bills and made my paycheck last almost as long as @Dave's.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Every time this thread pops up on my watched threads list, it makes me think y'all whackin' it (in san di-e-go!)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Every time this thread pops up on my watched threads list, it makes me think y'all whackin' it (in san di-e-go!)
Every time I see this thread, I think "Seriously, are we not doing 'phrasing' anymore?"

Dave

Dave

That's: San-di-AH-go.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, now I feel like I just gotta post it.

Dave

Dave

PatrThom

PatrThom

Today I splurged: I got 2 cans of this, a tall Monster, a bag of gummi sharks...... plus 2 donuts
You must reeeeally have to pee.[DOUBLEPOST=1424931714,1424931557][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, now I feel like I just gotta post it.

The fake "green-screen halo" was what really made it for me.

--Patrick

Shawn

Shawn

I splurged today and got a hot-n-ready pizza from Little Caesars.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

A second box of bears may have cleared customs two days ago on their way here.

Bones

Bones

got the missing pieces of Patlabor, the orginal files and the new files from ebay for a sound 51 dollars.

Bubble181

Bubble181

A second box of bears may have cleared customs two days ago on their way here.
?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Big splurge with this year's tax return:

A deck and fence, and the beginnings of the man cave..woo!

Dei

Dei

I really want to do renovations, but my husband is a money hoarder of the highest degree. ;)

I can't complain because I just got a new car though.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm already dreaming of the irresponsible things I'm going to do if I win the school raffle.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm having pancakes for dinner.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I have just in the last three days ordered:

new headphones (in prep for this potential business trip to Oman)

new computer speakers (right now i don't actually have any)

A Chromecast (thanks for the recommendation, Gas!)

Hot Rod on DVD (just cause i keep forgetting that i don't already own it)

A "Vault-Tec" messenger bag (again, largely just so i have a bag for this potential business trip. My backpack is all crusty and worn out with road salt because i actually put it on the floor when riding the bus)

And a new t-shirt.

So a good chunk of my tax return money is gone before it arrives. But iI regret nothing.

Except the t-shirt, kinda. But Bethesda was having a sale

Krisken

Krisken

We said 'fuck it' and I got me an iPhone 6 Plus. I can't wait till the weekend so I can really get to know my new phone/tablet. Yeah, it's freaking huge.

PatrThom

PatrThom

We said 'fuck it' and I got me an iPhone 6 Plus. I can't wait till the weekend so I can really get to know my new phone/tablet. Yeah, it's freaking huge.
You mean an iPad Micro?

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

I tried to fight the urge, but I caved. I bought Dragonball Xenoverse.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Big splurge with this year's tax return:

A deck and fence, and the beginnings of the man cave..woo!
So, she won, huh :p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, she won, huh :p
Nah...the fence and deck ended up costing about half what we thought it would, so we're actually able to do both.

The man-cave was always going to be an ongoing work in progress. But the main things are going up: Air hockey, pool table, dart board. wet bar, tv, paint. Good compromise, everyone gets a bit of what they want ;)

Bubble181

Bubble181

Nah...the fence and deck ended up costing about half what we thought it would
Hey, that was my suggestion too! :p:cool:

PatrThom

PatrThom

On Wednesday, for the first time, I went to a Brazilian Steakhouse.
I think I'm still full.
Their steaks were delicious, especially the Alcatra and Lombo.
Our party was large and they had trouble seating us, so they soothed us with free cheese bread and shrimp.
Their "salad" bar was much more than the usual garden vegetables and half-green tomatoes I'm used to. They had cheeses, pickled vegetables (beets, asparagus, olives, hearts of palm and artichoke), salami and prosciutto, smoked salmon, unlimited bacon strips (YES I SAID UNLIMITED BACON STRIPS YOU HEARD ME), sautéed mushrooms, and corn salad, to name a few.
They provided us with all the garlic mashed potatoes, deep fried bananas, and crispy polenta sticks we could eat.
There was no end to the meat, and all of it was no-knife tender.
I finished with a serving of the best flan I've had in > 20years.

Plus I had a coupon.

So all of this came to just over $17 (including 18% tip).

I'm so going to go back there at least one more time before I leave, even if I have to pay full price...but this time, I probably won't have as big of a lunch the day I go.

I can't wait.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I splurged on myself last night but I had a towel handy.[DOUBLEPOST=1426285562,1426285509][/DOUBLEPOST]And last week the wife and I went to Joe's Crab Shack. Dropped $100. That's about as splurgey as we get.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I had a "towel handy."
Makes clean-up easy, I suppose. Very practical.

--Patrick

Gared

Gared

On Wednesday, for the first time, I went to a Brazilian Steakhouse.
I think I'm still full.
Their steaks were delicious, especially the Alcatra and Lombo.
Our party was large and they had trouble seating us, so they soothed us with free cheese bread and shrimp.
Their "salad" bar was much more than the usual garden vegetables and half-green tomatoes I'm used to. They had cheeses, pickled vegetables (beets, asparagus, olives, hearts of palm and artichoke), salami and prosciutto, smoked salmon, unlimited bacon strips (YES I SAID UNLIMITED BACON STRIPS YOU HEARD ME), sautéed mushrooms, and corn salad, to name a few.
They provided us with all the garlic mashed potatoes, deep fried bananas, and crispy polenta sticks we could eat.
There was no end to the meat, and all of it was no-knife tender.
I finished with a serving of the best flan I've had in > 20years.

Plus I had a coupon.

So all of this came to just over $17 (including 18% tip).

I'm so going to go back there at least one more time before I leave, even if I have to pay full price...but this time, I probably won't have as big of a lunch the day I go.

I can't wait.

--Patrick
I love Rodizio style restaurants, but the good ones near-ish us went out of business. So much good, tender, flavorful meat.

TNM

TNM

I bought Dragonball Xenoverse and was not disappointed.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

A new entry level gaming computer, and a vertical smoker.

PatrThom

PatrThom

A new entry level gaming computer, and a vertical smoker.
Better still, they're not the same box!

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Better still, they're not the same box!

--Patrick
Sometimes, you say what I think.

Sometimes, that's Yoshi, so I'm not saying it's a compliment :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, I've already seen things like the combination gaming PC and espresso maker.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Those are all amazing, but that Ultra Magnus is just...

Also I bought myself a New 3DS XL and some games a couple weeks ago. I've got 500 bucks coming back from taxes, but I don't know if I'll buy anything with it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Got my VA state tax refund...bought a pc/ps3 Thrustmaster Ferrari gaming wheel...to play Euro Trucking Simulator with.

I'm such a dork.

Cajungal

Cajungal

All this tax refund talk is making me feel impatient and greedy. We'll probably have to buy some stupid sensible thing like a mattress. Our mattress is older than I am.

PatrThom

PatrThom

All this tax refund talk is making me feel impatient and greedy. We'll probably have to buy some stupid sensible thing like a mattress. Our mattress is older than I am.
Our son is currently sleeping on the mattress and box spring I used when I was his age.
They built 'em tough back then, I tellya.

--Patrick

Cajungal

Cajungal

Our son is currently sleeping on the mattress and box spring I used when I was his age.

--Patrick
It's actually still kind of comfortable, just a little too soft and worn out. I'm getting backaches more and more frequently, and we flip the thing twice as often as we used to.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Why yes. Twenty bucks well spent...

(Decca > MCA when it comes to The Who on US vinyl.)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So, Gas was the lead singer for The Who?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

--Patrick
Go to the store, and lift a mattress of the same size. Come back and lift yours and be awestruck at how it's twice as heavy. Marvel in the fact that most of this weight is due to skin flakes and dead dust mites.

;)

PatrThom

PatrThom

I assumed it was because it's made of actual wood (sawn wood) and iron.

--Patrick

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm sleeping on years upon years of dead bodies?

That's metal.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That's metal.

fade

fade

I want all the skin and sweat and dander from my wife, my cats, and me to meld together into some unholy abomination that looks like all four of us combined. It will rise up from my mattress and strike me down in vengeance for it knows it is unnatural. As I lay dying, I'll smile and and raise my weakening hand at its passage and say, "Go forth and render my judgement on the world, mattress beast. Ughhh."

That last part was me dying.

Necronic

Necronic

Go to the store, and lift a mattress of the same size. Come back and lift yours and be awestruck at how it's twice as heavy. Marvel in the fact that most of this weight is due to skin flakes and dead dust mites.

;)
And salt. Lots of salt.

Anywho. Just bought myself a very nice electric razor and got a haircut. Time to start being a Dapper Dan.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't know if this means I can never get rid of my mattress or if I must get a new mattress immediately.. :/

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

meh..it's an urban legend anyway
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/mattress.asp

yeah, there's dead mites and stuff...but probably not half the weight.

http://www.livescience.com/33097-does-your-mattress-really-gain-weight-over-time-.html

According to materials published by Ohio State University, a typical used mattress may have 100,000 to 10 million mites inside. Ten percent of the weight of a two-year-old pillow can be composed of dead mites and their droppings. Mites prefer warm, moist surroundings such as the inside of a mattress when someone is on it. One of their favorite foods is dead skin, and people shed about one fifth of an ounce of the stuff every week, some of which surely ends up flaking into your mattress. (Also gross: About 80 percent of the material seen floating in a sunbeam is, in fact, flakes of dead skin.)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Good, the exposure should help inhibit the development of allergies as he gets older.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

That's metal.
I cannot reconcile the idea of Metal Queen Cajungal and your polka dot dress.

jwhouk

jwhouk

New printer. I can connect wirelessly and print double-sided.