[Thread Game] Have you splurged on yourself lately?

My wife and I were shopping at Wegman's today, and I decided to splurge and buy some Gyokuro tea from the Uji district. At $199/lb, it is quite a luxury.
I didn't buy a pound of it, of course. I bought .05 lbs (.8 oz) ...just enough for a few cups of tea, for $10. I ain't crazy ;)

Sometimes, when I splurge on something like this, I really can't detect that much difference in quality. But in this case, I am really taken by this tea. It tastes like green tea, sure, but it is extremely smooth and mellow, without that harsh hay-like or powdery taste that restaurant green tea can have. The green tea flavor gives way to something a lot more complex and earthy..it's really delicious.

What was the last thing you splurged on for yourself?

I'll buy a hearthstone pack or two every now and again just as a little treat for myself. I shouldn't because that shit adds up and all but you know...

Every couple of weeks, we dip into non-spending funds and get Chipotle, usually because I'm working overtime yet again without time to cook or because I forget to plan a meal for Saturday.

Super Smash bros, and Grim Fandango remastered...which my current old ass laptop can't play but I plan on getting a new computer sooner or later so whatevs.

For Valentines yesterday my girlfriend and I went to a very nice restaurant. Their valentines meal was an appetizer, soup or salad, entree, and dessert. The meal was a bit over $200, so obviously not a regular thing, but it was delicious and definitely a nice treat.

Sadly, my wife and I spent most of last year splurging on ourselves, as we discovered ourselves with quite a lot of disposable income. The most spectacular bit of it that I can think of was when we ordered real French cheeses from Fromages.com and had them flown here from Paris for Christmas, to go with the salami we ordered from Olympic Provisions, because we didn't want to drive to the nearest fine cheese and salami shop, which is 2 hours away. The experience was worth the cost. I'd even do it again this Christmas, but only once a year.

My parents gave me money for my impending graduation. I spent it on a bunch of little things, including this Wonder Woman shirt, and it was glorious.
I wondered where this came from and now I know...
due to the promotion and increase in pay, went ahead and splurged on anime, and keeping my eye on a couple more things on ebay to finish out my paycheck. :3

fade

Staff member
A couple of years ago now, I dropped almost 2 grand on a bicycle. I ride a lot, and my 12 year old $350 Trek 820 mountain bike wasn't cutting it for what I wanted to do nowadays. I bought a Canondale CAADX cyclocross. I kept the trek for trail riding. Well, until my son left it in the front yard and it walked away one night.

I bought myself a dress. I try not to spend money on myself since I left my job, but the last dress I bought for formal events has been worn to at least 5 weddings and 3 formal occasions.
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed because I ordered it online just by measurements.
ChiChi_AW_16071419846__61054_std.jpg

I bought a new-to-me set of Irons yesterday. They might be 25 years old but fit better than my thrift store set.

Just bought my first new pair of sunglasses in 3 years. I'm not one to lose sunglasses or break them (gotta love that the lenses are interchangeable) and will have these for years to come. My last pair, that I still have and wore today, are a cheap little bodyglove wrap around pair.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think I'm going to have to splurge on a new office chair soon. I'm pretty sure the one I have is about to break off at the mechanism and dump me on the floor.

This was more of a planned splurge, but the wife and I (mostly I) picked up a Majora's Mask New 3DS XL last week. I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan, and we both wanted the "head tracking 3D" feature it has, so...yay new tech.

I'm also thinking of getting the New 3DS. I've never owned any DS system before, would it better for me to cheaply pick up the last 3DS generation?

A couple of years ago now, I dropped almost 2 grand on a bicycle. I ride a lot, and my 12 year old $350 Trek 820 mountain bike wasn't cutting it for what I wanted to do nowadays. I bought a Canondale CAADX cyclocross. I kept the trek for trail riding. Well, until my son left it in the front yard and it walked away one night.
Jealous...

I haven't splurged in a long time. Upcoming wedding and house repairs/upgrades to make it more livable for 3 have taken up about all my spending money. I would really like a new mountain or cyclocross bike. I have my eye on a mountain bike, but we'll see if I can swing it. Most likely not.

I'm also thinking of getting the New 3DS. I've never owned any DS system before, would it better for me to cheaply pick up the last 3DS generation?
It honestly depends on a couple factors. Since you don't have a 3DS I'd lean towards "yes."

There are currently three iterations of the 3DS hardware: the 3DS, the 3DS XL and the New 3DS XL. The only difference between the "regular" 3DS and the 3DS XL is the size; here's a comparison: http://i2.cdnds.net/12/27/618x463/gaming_3ds_xl_hands_on_11.jpeg . Based solely on size, I much prefer the 3DS XL (fits my hands better), but you definitely can't just cart the 3DS XL around in your pockets like you could with a regular 3DS.

The New 3DS XL has several hardware improvements; mainly it has a "nub" (meant to serve as a second analogue stick), it has a better processor (loads games faster), has two additional shoulder buttons and comes with built-in Amiibo support. While those are nice, I think what makes it most worthwhile to me is the fact that the New 3DS XL has face-tracking 3D. The 3D on the first two generations of hardware works spectacularly, except you need to hold the console/your head still or else it goes kinda wonky. As a result, I never played with the 3D on; in contrast, I have yet to turn it off with the New 3DS simply because it makes the games much more immersive.

If price is the main factor, though, I'd probably just get a 3DS XL. A bunch of people are dumping theirs for the new model, and I've seen them go as low as $95 (or $150 with a bunch of games) on Reddit's /r/gameswap or /r/hardwareswap, as well as on Craigslist.

I can fit an XL in my back pocket, and I have girl pants...
Fair enough; to clarify, I normally just preferred to leave my 3DS in my front pocket (along with my cell phone) and my first impression with the 3DS XL was, "...huh. I need a carrying case for that."

I also have an aversion to taking stuff out of my pockets/leaving it somewhere during the day (like in a desk) because I'm constantly on the move, so that may play a role in it.

Mine is super boring, but I replaced my tattered old winter topcoat with a new much higher-quality one that won't look out of place over either casual or business or dressy attire.