[Thread Game] Have you splurged on yourself lately?

Cajungal

Staff member
If we get a decent tax return, we're gonna buy a mattress to replace the one that's almost as old as me...

fade

Staff member
Jealous...

I haven't splurged in a long time. Upcoming wedding and house repairs/upgrades to make it more livable for 3 have taken up about all my spending money. I would really like a new mountain or cyclocross bike. I have my eye on a mountain bike, but we'll see if I can swing it. Most likely not.
I really like the cyclocross bike. It's a really good bike for light trails and mud, yet it has the gearing and ride position of a road bike. That it's designed to be carried over the shoulder is really useful for carrying it up onto the dam fire road by me. There are usually cheap organized cyclocross races you can join on the weekends.

I'm away, and while I'm away, I have to be thrifty with my money so the folks back home can still make ends meet.
So "splurging" for me was lunch a couple days ago:
Pork shoulder roast with apple cider jus

Oven-roasted pork shoulder marinated with roasted garlic and herbs, topped with cider jus. Served with ginger-braised apple and fennel, rutabaga puree, and wild arugula salad. Garnished with crispy carrot shavings.
The best part? It was only $8, and worth every penny of it, too. Mmm...
--Patrick

I really like the cyclocross bike. It's a really good bike for light trails and mud, yet it has the gearing and ride position of a road bike. That it's designed to be carried over the shoulder is really useful for carrying it up onto the dam fire road by me. There are usually cheap organized cyclocross races you can join on the weekends.
I live on a gravel road, and being able ride on that to the pavement and take off would be nice. That's my main motivation for getting one. There are some nice MTB trails near me where a nice MTB would come in handy though. My guess is I'll get more use out of the cyclocross bike.

I shop online more often than I should. I just purchased a Fallout hoodie and fallout t-shirt from Bethesda. I guess that's splurging. I needed a new hoody, don't really need a new t-shirt right now but they were 50% off.

fade

Staff member
That's our plan too! I never thought the idea of a new mattress could feel exciting.
First thing we did when I moved from academia to private industry: Buy a new mattress.

We'd already sawed the box spring when we lived in Boston because it wouldn't fit up the stairs of the old house we were renting, so it was niiiiice.

Negotiate heavily when buying a mattress. They usually have 5X markup or more.

I've gotten a $1900 mattress for $800 before, and they still made plenty of profit.

It's easier to negotiate with a floor manager, as the sales guy won't want to give up his commission, whereas the manager's bonuses come from total sales.

Don't get suckered in by the pressure of a "limited time sale". All mattress places run sales all year round. I've never driven by a mattress place that didn't have a sale going on. And you can use that fact as leverage in your negotiations. I told a guy once "This is what I want to pay, and Mattress Warehouse is a quarter mile up the road and will give it to me. But I'm in your store, and don't want to drive down there if I don't have to. But I will--so meet me on the price. Some commission is better than none." Bang, $250 off on the spot.

I've also called ahead to 5 different mattress stores to pre-negotiate, and told each one: "I'm calling these X stores...I have cash in hand. You all sell Serta. I'm buying from the guy who gives me the best deal." Sometimes they won't deal with you on the phone that way, but sometimes they will.

That said: Don't be afraid to walk away. There are a million mattress stores out there. Call and shop around. You will eventually get a better deal than if you just buy one without negotiating.

Source: Used to do computer work for a furniture store, and have been to the big annual furniture convention in Tupelo Mississippi. I know what stores really pay for stuff and so am confident in negotiations.

Negotiate heavily when buying a mattress. They usually have 5X markup or more.

I've gotten a $1900 mattress for $800 before, and they still made plenty of profit.

It's easier to negotiate with a floor manager, as the sales guy won't want to give up his commission, whereas the manager's bonuses come from total sales.

Don't get suckered in by the pressure of a "limited time sale". All mattress places run sales all year round. I've never driven by a mattress place that didn't have a sale going on. And you can use that fact as leverage in your negotiations. I told a guy once "This is what I want to pay, and Mattress Warehouse is a quarter mile up the road and will give it to me. But I'm in your store, and don't want to drive down there if I don't have to. But I will--so meet me on the price. Some commission is better than none." Bang, $250 off on the spot.

I've also called ahead to 5 different mattress stores to pre-negotiate, and told each one: "I'm calling these X stores...I have cash in hand. You all sell Serta. I'm buying from the guy who gives me the best deal." Sometimes they won't deal with you on the phone that way, but sometimes they will.

That said: Don't be afraid to walk away. There are a million mattress stores out there. Call and shop around. You will eventually get a better deal than if you just buy one without negotiating.

Source: Used to do computer work for a furniture store, and have been to the big annual furniture convention in Tupelo Mississippi. I know what stores really pay for stuff and so am confident in negotiations.
Related: Why are there so many Sleepy's Mattress Stores?

Negotiate heavily when buying a deck, poker table, fence. They usually have 5X markup or more.

Boom! Deck and fence and man cave :-P

(I kid, of course)

Welp, I get to splurge on an X-Box one to help improve my Diablo 3 addiction. Good thing they let you transfer characters once.

Zappit

Staff member
Picked up the New 3DS XL today, then had to go get a micro SD card from Best Buy. Had to find one for me and one for my brother. There was one store in the (seemingly) entire region that had any left, and as of their closing last night, they had two left. Got there around opening today, and boom - both were still there. I haven't set it all up yet, but that's on the to-do list tomorrow.

Thinking about heading down to Target and picking up some socks.
Due to my near 3-year joblessness back in 2000, I have such a hard time replacing things like socks if they have even the most minimal usefulness.

I finally bought 2 packs of socks at Walmart the other day, and threw all of my old, holey socks away that I've had since I got married. My wife was overjoyed.

I still haven't replaced the XXL knit boxers I have that I can now pull up to my armpits. It kills her.

GasBandit

Staff member
Today I plan to go forth and buy that which is the height of consumer decadence- the ottoman.
I am terrible at haggling. I paid $200 for an ottoman and I'm pretty sure I overpaid, upon later reflection.

But it does make it much more comfy to watch TV from the couch.

Today I plan to go forth and buy that which is the height of consumer decadence- the ottoman.
If they're out, see if they have any hassocks.
[DOUBLEPOST=1424568179,1424568118][/DOUBLEPOST]

Can't take it out right now because mother nature finally read the weather forecast, but eeeeeeee.
PLEASE do not sit in the garage revving the engine. I know it's new, it will still be waiting for when you can legitimately take it out.

--Patrick

I will not mention the amount of times I got myself into a crazy hyperactive state drinking Surge during finals week at college.

Dave

Staff member
We splurged last night and bought a new oven. Not exactly a real splurge as we didn't have a choice. Our paycheck was in the bank about the length of time a formula one car spends in the pits.

We splurged last night and bought a new oven. Not exactly a real splurge as we didn't have a choice. Our paycheck was in the bank about the length of time a formula one car spends in the pits.
Oh, are we counting things that have to be bought now? If that's the case, we splurged the hell out of ourselves last weekend when we paid all of our late bills and made my paycheck last almost as long as @Dave's.

GasBandit

Staff member
Every time this thread pops up on my watched threads list, it makes me think y'all whackin' it (in san di-e-go!)