[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

I would just like to say that to this day, the only legendary I have from packs (I have naxx/brm ones) is Alexstrasza, so I continue to feel no pity.

I would just like to say that to this day, the only legendary I have from packs (I have naxx/brm ones) is Alexstrasza, so I continue to feel no pity.
I would like to say that I don't feel pity for people who $buy 100 packs at a time.

Also my first legendary was Cenarius, and I don't know if I've gotten any non-adventure legendaries since then.

--Patrick

So what you're saying is "Fuck you Poe." ;)
Not exactly. Poe has never bragged, "Look at my awesome deck (wallet)! Look at how powerful my deck (wallet) is. I have such a wonderful deck (wallet).
If you want to sink a bunch of real-life money into your game because you want to get the cards, I have no problem with that at all.
If you want to pay this money just so that you can brag about all the cards you have, that's another story. "I am so amazing. Look at how amazing I am." No, you're not amazing. You paid money to gain an advantage. I owe you no special respect for that.

--Patrick

Played a game in the lobby while I was waiting this morning. Need to win a couple more Shaman games to get my daily out of the way. Playing against a Priest.
Started off OK, got ahead 26 to 2 on health.
Opponent plays Prophet Velen.
Opponent plays Nexus-Champion Saraad.
Opponent plays Healing Wave (acquired via Saraad) and wins the Joust healing for TWENTY-EIGHT due to Joust + Velen.

I lost.

--Patrick

There are some pretty big wombo combos in this game for sure. I always feel bad about it when I get lucky enough to draw them.

Not exactly. Poe has never bragged, "Look at my awesome deck (wallet)! Look at how powerful my deck (wallet) is. I have such a wonderful deck (wallet).
If you want to sink a bunch of real-life money into your game because you want to get the cards, I have no problem with that at all.
If you want to pay this money just so that you can brag about all the cards you have, that's another story. "I am so amazing. Look at how amazing I am." No, you're not amazing. You paid money to gain an advantage. I owe you no special respect for that.

--Patrick
No, I'm awesome for entirely different reasons.

the Dreadsteed / Anima Golem combo is real!
I want to see a warlock copy a warsong commander with a Dreadsteed on the board and then ping everything on the other side of the board to death 1 pt at a time.
Pow! (dreadsteed dies) You get a fresh dreadsteed with charge!
etc.
Repeat until opponent's entire board is clear.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Reactions: Dei
That reminds me of an Archmage Antonidas with 4 sorcerer's apprentice cards on the map video that I just watched.

I also would like to reject the idea that good decks are nothing but money. Expensive cards do not make a deck good. It's the construction of the deck and pitting the deck against the current meta that makes a deck good. Plenty of top level players have gone legend using only free to play accounts, and even some of the top cookie cutter netdecks (face hunter, patron warrior) are very cheap to craft.

I owned every card (minus most of the legendaries) in the basic set long before I ever spent money on the game. I just played a lot, was good enough at arena to get my gold back most times I played, and was careful to save my dust and craft the key cards I wanted to make the decks I wanted to play. Paying money in Hearthstone is an acceleration to card collection, not necessarily a pay to be better route.

All that said, owning all the cards certainly doesn't hurt. But my main point is that it's not -required- to be competitive, if that is your goal.

I mean, it is very frustrating to have a beginner deck and get matched against the guy with every card. But it's very easy to build a deck with starter cards that can get you up a bunch of ranks.

I also would like to reject the idea that good decks are nothing but money.
Oh, I never said that. I know it's all about combining synergy (and spreadsheets, if you're into that).
My comments were more directed to the Hunter who has played 3 legendaries by turn 5, all the while spamming I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN about every 20 seconds. People who specifically DID pay the money because they thought that having all the cards would guarantee a win. Folks who just check the current "best decks" list and buy enough boosters until they can build one. You know the type. Basically the Hearthstone equivalent of "script kiddies."

--Patrick

Oh, I never said that. I know it's all about combining synergy (and spreadsheets, if you're into that).
My comments were more directed to the Hunter who has played 3 legendaries by turn 5, all the while spamming I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN about every 20 seconds. People who specifically DID pay the money because they thought that having all the cards would guarantee a win. Folks who just check the current "best decks" list and buy enough boosters until they can build one. You know the type. Basically the Hearthstone equivalent of "script kiddies."

--Patrick
So he played Bloodmage Thalnos, Dreadscale, and Mukla? That deck sucks :p

So he played Bloodmage Thalnos, Dreadscale, and Mukla? That deck sucks :p
I didn't actually play any opponent who did that specific thing. I'm just setting the stage.
I have played opponents who spam chat, though. I just roll my eyes and squelch 'em.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I want to see a warlock copy a warsong commander with a Dreadsteed on the board and then ping everything on the other side of the board to death 1 pt at a time.
etc.

--Patrick
I'll do you one better:

Ooo, he must've updated today.
Hmm, didn't think about combining them with Undertaker. Clever.

--Patrick

Last edited:
etc.

--Patrick
That's not possible anymore, because warsong commander now only gives charge to played minions (due to broken combos like that I guess)

EDIT: Well, due to the Patron-Berserker combo I guess

figmentPez

Staff member
That's not possible anymore, because warsong commander now only gives charge to played minions (due to broken combos like that I guess)

EDIT: Well, due to the Patron-Berserker combo I guess
You've got your information backwards. The old, bugged, behavior was that Warsong Commander did not give charge to summoned minions, despite her card text indicating that she would. This was patched around the time of Blackrock Mountain's release, which made Patron Warrior possible.

I just tested, Warsong Commander still gives charge to summoned minions.

figmentPez

Staff member
My rewards for my relatively low rank chest:
Hearthstone 2015-09-01 Ranked Rewards Chest for August.jpg

After twenty-some packs, I got my first TGT legendary:
Hearthstone 2015-09-02 First TGT Legendary Aviana.jpg

And this week's Tavern Brawl is "It's Raining Mana". You start at 1 mana, but each turn you gain two mana crystals. So: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10. I saw several reactions on the Facebook post saying that "Oh yeah, control is going to love this!" I dunno, aggro seems to work fairly well:

Hearthstone 2015-09-02 I am Eboladin.jpg

Dangit. I don't have time to keep up on all these dailies!
That means I didn't hit R20 in the week of Aug. Oh well.

--Patrick

Just do your dailies in ranked mode. Rank 20 is extremely easy to hit, especially since you can't rank down below 20.
Yah, I just didn't know about the upcoming rewards with the new season until there was only a week left, and by then I knew I wasn't even going to have the time to climb 5 levels before 9/1.

--Patrick