Hey nerd, what comics did you get this week?

• Thread starter Steven Soderburgin
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
^I don't really have a frame of reference yet... but I might by the end of the summer. So far I'm having fun, at least.

Look up the Mike Grell run on Green Arrow. It was one of only 3 costumed hero comic lines I bought back them. The others were The Question, and Batman and his 4 or so comics back then.

Cajungal

Staff member
Cool. The guy at the shop mentioned some older series that was good, too, but I couldn't remember which.

Mr. ZM picked up the Eureka TPB and I loved it. The story is by the show's creators and the writer really nailed the dialogue. I highly recommend it for anyone who really likes the series (although it is not cheap).

Unfortunately I didn't like the preview of the next series; the art isn't as attractive and it centers around Zoe, my least favorite character.

A

Alex B.

I'm in the middle of reading the "I Kill Giants" trade, and it is excellent.

The Grell Green Arrow stuff was good. The Kevin Smith and Brad Metzler runs (which brought him back from the dead) are really good. The Winnick stuff that follows them is pretty good, but uneven. GA: Year 1 is excellent.

The first arc of Green Arrow/Black Canary was okay, but not great. I dropped the book at the end of that, before the current team came on.

Yeah, I didn't mean to jump on you so harshly about the book, CG. I've just heard endlessly bad things about it, that's all. I 100% agree with Sixpack: check out Mike Grell's run. There's one trade of a mini-series he did called Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters that's like a set up for the regular series. Great stuff.

Not sure if there's anything I'm going to pick up this week. I've been thinking of buying the fourth Buffy trade, but given that I'm still looking for a second job for the summer, I'm holding off. There's a few things coming out this month that I want to get, such as JLA deluxe Vol.2 (Grant Morrison's run continued) and Starman Omnibus Vol.3.

Oh, and I also spotted a prose short story anthology in Chapters yesterday called "Who Will Save Us, Now?" that I'm definitely going to get at some point, if only for inspiration for my own writing.

So I read Batman & Robin, really enjoy the story still greatly despise the art. Seriously he draws Dick and he looks like he is in his forties.

I also picked up the first issue of Chew from Image. Its got an interestingly weird premise and was a fun read.

My friends just got me NM copies of Flash 62-65, Born to Run. The very start of Mark Waid's run on the title.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'll repost this I guess:

No problem, TNG. You're the expert. :) And I thank both you and sixpack for the advice on what to look into next. If you say it's good, I'm guessing it's good. I'm looking forward to comparing comics from different times.

Picked up the second Sinstro Corps War trade last week and the third Starman Omnibus. I tell ya, those Omnibuses (Omnibi?) are a thing of beauty. I wish DC would put out more collected editions like this and the Kirby volumes.

Oh, and The Unwritten #2. I'm starting to feel this series might be as good as Gaiman's Sandman. It certainly feels literary enough, with all of its references.

Cajungal said:
I'll repost this I guess:

No problem, TNG. You're the expert. :) And I thank both you and sixpack for the advice on what to look into next. If you say it's good, I'm guessing it's good. I'm looking forward to comparing comics from different times.
I've not purchased a continuing comic in 15 years, don't rely on my advice too much.

Has anyone purchased the Marvell complete comic runs on DVD. I thought about getting X-men or Spider-man. Also has DC done the same thing?

A buddy of mine lent me a pile of comics to read and I'm currently reading through Avengers: The Initiative issues. Man, I love this series. Issue 13 is probably one of the single best comics I have ever read.

D

Dusty668

Mav said:
that reminds me, Covar you going to Heroes Con this year? I wonder if Dusty (HF Dusty not Shelton's Dusty) is gonna drive down and attend.

Lotta big names this year.
I wanted to but my folkaphobia and my dog getting sick conspired against me. Either one I could have overcome, but together...

S

Steven Soderburgin

Had my comic books shop pull the new Detective Comics, the new Daredevil, Iron Fist, and Captain America #600 from last week.

Shannow

Staff member
Acquired quite a few this week, as normal. Only had time to read jsut a couple though. ASM was great, this American Son storyline has been a fun read.

JLA Deluxe Vol.2 (continuing Grant Morrison's phenomenal run) and The Question: Five Books of Blood TPB.

A

Alex B.

I want that Question book. Anyone read Detective Comics this week? Absolutely gorgeous. I normally stay away from Bat books but I may give this one a go for a while.

My pulls this week are pretty big:

Daredevil 119
Detective Comics 854
Green Lantern 42
JSA 28 (would have skipped this arc if I hadn't pre-ordered it)
Ms Marvel 40
New Avengers 54
Secret Warriors 5
Thor 602
X-Factor 45

Other than Detective I'll have to wait until I get my June shipment next week to read them.

S

Steven Soderburgin

I cannot wait to read Detective Comics. I've been waiting for this storyline for months.

Detective Comics #854

I really have not been keeping tabs with the whole Batman scenario that's playing out over at DC, just bits and pieces, and I picked this one up on a recommendation. To be honest, I was not expecting to find anything fulfilling within.

Holy shit this one BEAUTIFUL comic, well written too, but the artwork in this one alone makes it worth the purchase. I want to place the individual panels up on my walls.

DMZ

Frigging AWESOME series. Got the first volume of this last week and I'm so hooked, I went and bought Vol.2 this week, as well. Seriously, go check it out. It's written by Brian Wood, who is also doing Northlanders (vikings!).

Final Crisis

It was on sale at the comic store and...
...and...

...what the fuck did I just read? Seriously, I couldn't even finish it because NONE of it makes sense! I thought maybe it would make more sense to me, since I love all of Jack Kirby's creations that are heavily used in this but cripes, I couldn't even enjoy the Superman Beyond portion of it because it made about as much sense as putting cottage cheese on a turtle.

Just...ugh. And I usually like Morrison's writing!

the best thing i can say about final crisis is that it was a bunch of moments which were great seperately, but as part of a larger story, made absolutely no fucking sense. that and the main storyline felt like morrison was attempting to recreate a much better previous JLA story (rock of ages) he did on a universe-wide scale. and failed miserably.

Walking Dead #63, bundled with Chew #1

Almost dropped Walking Dead for a while but right now I'm really enjoying the direction it's going after that long prison arc.

Chew seems pretty good but I'm going to wait for the trade so I can store my comics on a shelf.

Wednesday Comics 1 & 2

Amazing stuff. absolutely gorgeous.

Blackest Night 1

Going to be good fun I think

and the latest Outsiders and R.E.B.E.L.S. both excellent books.

J

JCM

-Dark Knight 1&2 hardcover edition.
-Eden, Vol. 11
-The Blackest night 1

I didn't like the first issue of blackest night that much. The buildup in both GL series has been much much better. Of course, I know I should wait for at least the second issue. We'll see.

A

Alex B.

I guess I'll be getting Spider-Man 600 this week. Just seems like I should.

Green Lantern 44
Blackest Night Tales 2
Dark Reign Fantastic Four 5
Power Girl 3
Phonogram 4 (maybe, if I find it; never did get a copy of 3)
Ms Marvel 42

I picked up the Dark Reign FF in anticipation of the Hickman run on FF, but I think I'm going to start making the transition to trades soon.

Stuff I want but can't afford at the moment:

Mouseguard Winter 1152 Hardcover
Parker The Hunter

A

Aisaku

I get my comics by the month, currently suscribed only to Runaways, which I haven't caught up with.

JCM said:
-Dark Knight 1&2 hardcover edition.
Wait a minute, hold on, hold the phone. You actually paid money for The Dark Knight Strikes Again?

Wow.

And you've chastised us for buying needless continuations for a story?

I picked up the TPB of Scud The Disposable Assassin- The Whole Shebang.

I plan on picking up yet The Tick complete Edlund issues this week yet.

Not really into comics like I used to be.

Cajungal

Staff member
The Walking Dead, the Veil, and a few others I can't remember. The fellow surprised me with a big stack of em. :D

A

Alex B.

Krisken said:

Scud's been on my want list for a while.

Let us know if that Tick collection is in color. I have an old collection that's I think about half the Edlund stuff, and it's colorized.

Alex B. said:
Krisken said:

Let us know if that Tick collection is in color. I have an old collection that's I think about half the Edlund stuff, and it's colorized.
Its not I have it. Great read, but black and white. Not having read comics when Tick originally came out were these originally in color?

Alex B. said:
Krisken said:

The Scud collection is B&W, and the last ten issues really tie everything together. Just when you think it can't get more bizarre, it goes just a bit further.

Sadly, the Tick collection is B&W as well. Sorry Alex. It would be great if New England press put out a decent collection in color, but the price would be astronomical. I feel like I'm splurging just getting the black and white complete Edlund!

Covar- I know the Big Blue Destiny series was, but couldn't tell you if the first series was in color.

Status
Not open for further replies.