Export thread

HF Gaming Night! (Oct 3rd)

Jay

Jay

Alright folks, the last few weeks we had some decent Mass Effect 3 MP going on. Last week we did a non-gaming activity in CAH and 14 people showed up.

That's cool.

This week, I propose the following.

Let's make more people want to play with the cool kids, let's make sure everyone has this game... and thus..

Team Fortress.

Preferably Mann vs Man?

What say you plebs?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'd be down for some MvM. I've never really gotten a good bunch going for an extended time other than other times we've done it ourselves.

Dave

Dave

My son & I have been playing this, but since he's in Korea either he or I get lag. Depends on where the servers are we get.

Null

Null

I don't have it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't have it.

Null

Null

*checks steam* Oh, it's Free to play now. I didn't realize.

GasBandit

GasBandit

/BONK

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't have it installed, but that's easily remedied.

My preferred class is Medic or Engineer.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My two strongest classes are engi and demo, but I can be a heavy or medic in a pinch if I have to. Probably best I stay off my Demo anyway, he's pretty much a demoknight, and that doesn't work out so well in MvM in my experience.

It's important for people to know, however, that contrary to what they might think, it's pretty important for one of the 6 of the team to be a scout.

Null

Null

I'll install it later tonight, give it a try. Probably go Soldier, it seems like that'd be hard to screw up too bad.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'll install it later tonight, give it a try. Probably go Soldier, it seems like that'd be hard to screw up too bad.
Servers run by the Lotus clan tend to be lower intensity and fill in empty slots with bots, good for learning to play on. So when you go looking for a server, maybe search "lotus."

Jay

Jay

I'm 100% Medic only.

People can attest.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I've never played.
But I have a feeling that if I did, I'd be Medic.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's a lot harder to be a good medic than I thought it would be when I first started playing. There's a real trick to healing as many people as possible, staying out of danger, and hitting the ubercharge when appropriate. And that's just on a vanilla build! Start throwing things like the kritzkrieg or quickfix or the crossbow or all the other medic items into the mix and it changes things.

Null

Null

Uh... yeah. So I downloaded it and started playing.

I got my ass handed to me by the practice round. I suck unbelievably at this game.

Dei

Dei

I was reasonable at medic when I played it, but this is probably due to healing/support being my comfort zone for things. I also haven't played TF2 in at least 2 years, so I can only imagine. I am also somewhat awful at shooters in general. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Uh... yeah. So I downloaded it and started playing.

I got my ass handed to me by the practice round. I suck unbelievably at this game.
Don't worry, human opponents are usually way worse than the practice round bots.

Null

Null

Don't worry, human opponents are usually way worse than the practice round bots.
My nemesis was a goddamn sentry gun.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My nemesis was a goddamn sentry gun.
If you've got a halfway decent demo or spy on your team when you're playing for real, only a sentry gun under constant repair stands a chance... and really that doesn't happen often because it's a pretty tedious way to play.

Terrik

Terrik

I'm pretty good at TF2, but I've never played MvM.

But that's fine, im sure it's incredibly noob friendly, right?

:awesome:

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm pretty good at TF2, but I've never played MvM.

But that's fine, im sure it's incredibly noob friendly, right?

:awesome:
It's a whole different ball of wax, lemme tell you. As important as teamwork was in other game modes, it's essential in MvM. And let me tell you, there's not much that can soil your drawers more than the sight of 20+ robot soldiers all firing rockets at you simultaneously.

Terrik

Terrik

It's a whole different ball of wax, lemme tell you. As important as teamwork was in other game modes, it's essential in MvM. And let me tell you, there's not much that can soil your drawers more than the sight of 20+ robot soldiers all firing rockets at you simultaneously.
Can...can I airblast them back?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Can...can I airblast them back?
The first 2 or 3, but they come in a great line.

Terrik

Terrik

Well, it's Thursday. Maybe I should play a practice round or two to see what it's all about tonight.

Dave

Dave

The tanks and robo-scouts. Oh god they're coming!!

GasBandit

GasBandit

The tanks and robo-scouts. Oh god they're coming!!
I can't Chargin' Targe FIFTY GUYS AT ONCE! HEEELP

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Hmm, haven't done much MvM and I'm more of a casual TF2 player in general, but I'm interested. My most played classes go Demoman >> Engineer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hmm, haven't done much MvM and I'm more of a casual TF2 player in general, but I'm interested. My most played classes go Demoman >> Engineer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else.
Coincidentally those are two very useful MvM classes.

The best groups I've MvM'd with basically go Heavy, Medic, Demo, scout, sniper, and engi.

Terrik

Terrik

I could do all of those except demo. I can never play a good demo.

Also I suck at rocket jumping.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I could do all of those except demo. I can never play a good demo.

Also I suck at rocket jumping.
Not much need for rocket/sticky jumping on most MvM maps I've played.

It's mostly about defending chokepoints, grabbing cash before it vanishes, and drinking from the metal robot firehose.

Jay

Jay

So who's there tonight

GasBandit

GasBandit

Pretty sure I can make it.

Dave

Dave

Depends on my son.

Terrik

Terrik

Me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Depends on my son.
Depends on my son, too.
Also my vast inexperience with TF2. I've never played it.

...I probably won't be there.

--Patrick

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I'm in. What time?

Null

Null

I suck at it, but I'll give it a try

Dave

Dave

If we get a group on a server it'll be much better. Who cares if you suck? Nobody.

Jay

Jay

Connect to vent! :)

Dave

Dave

I'm in Vent and so is my son. Where the hell are you, Jay?

Terrik

Terrik

Almost home

Null

Null

That was fun until my computer decided I was done playing.

Dave

Dave

That was a lot of fun! My son even played from Korea and didn't lag![DOUBLEPOST=1412396852,1412396831][/DOUBLEPOST]Turns out I'm a scout. I always thought I was a soldier, but I'm a much better scout.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Fun was had, robots were exploded, as well as some bombs at times.

Jay

Jay

Glad folks had a good time. My tf2 installation was corrupted so I moved on with my evening.

Anyone have any recommendations for next week?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I forget what all everybody has again.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I forget what all everybody has again.
Bills.

--Patrick

Null

Null

I'd say Saint's Row, but that's 3 people max I think. Or maybe even 2?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'd say Saint's Row, but that's 3 people max I think. Or maybe even 2?
yeah, just 2

Null

Null

yeah, just 2
Yeah that's not much of a gaming night game then.

TF2 was fun, ME3 is good. Even if I am the filthiest of filthy casuals.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I forget, is Dungeon Defenders F2P yet?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There's always Guns of Icarus Online, so we can watch @Jay be the worst gunner ever and blame it on lag.

Null

Null

I really need to get a headset. I could hear everyone else okay but no idea if I was audible at all.

Dave

Dave

There's always Guns of Icarus Online, so we can watch @Jay be the worst gunner ever and blame it on lag.
Ooh! I can play this now with my new rig! YESYESYES!!

Terrik

Terrik

I fell asleep at my computer and woke up disconnected.

Lawl.

Dave

Dave

I fell asleep at my computer and woke up disconnected.

Lawl.
Wondered what happened to you. I think you were replaced by a really funny medic named Xavier.

Terrik

Terrik

Wondered what happened to you. I think you were replaced by a really funny medic named Xavier.

Well at least I was replaced by someone useful.

That was the first time I've played MvM. Really fun. Sniper worked out far better than I thought he would.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Ahh... missed out on this. Didn't see the post. Maybe next time.