I made a game!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/O1zn1tq3tf8

Hi guys,

I don't know if anybody remembers me here. I used to post rather frequently when I lived in China.

I have been working on this game for the last year or so, since my wife and I moved back to Canada from China.

It was posted to kickstarter last Monday and I'm curious what you guys think.

Tin if you're still around, I miss your kung fu craziness and your hot winded rants gasbandit.

Dave you're awesoem

对啊!你还在中国吗?我在2014年回国但是现在我每个月回来中国。

你在上海吗?[DOUBLEPOST=1489462566,1489462483][/DOUBLEPOST]
Heya Hunster. How you doing?

The game definitely looks cool.
Oh my god its Bhamv!

I'm doing well. Have been living in Canada now since 2014 but I travel back to China so often, my friends in China see me more often now, than when I lived there.

对啊!你还在中国吗?我在2014年回国但是现在我每个月回来中国。

你在上海吗?[DOUBLEPOST=1489462566,1489462483][/DOUBLEPOST]

Oh my god its Bhamv!

I'm doing well. Have been living in Canada now since 2014 but I travel back to China so often, my friends in China see me more often now, than when I lived there.
我2014也跟我的中国老婆回国了 我5月份会去台湾台北市参加我的朋友的婚礼然后去中国大陆代3个星期看看我的朋友和老婆的家人。 我在美国准备去牙医学院当牙医。

Hi guys,

I don't know if anybody remembers me here. I used to post rather frequently when I lived in China.

I have been working on this game for the last year or so, since my wife and I moved back to Canada from China.

Tin if you're still around, I miss your kung fu craziness and your hot winded rants gasbandit.

Dave you're awesoem
I'll tag them for you:
@Tinwhistler @GasBandit @Dave

Dave

Staff member

Hi guys,

Dave you're awesoem
I won't speak Chinese to you since, you know, I don't KNOW any...but it's great to see you again! Have to check out said game.

Dave

Staff member
I set up a reminder so I can help out when I get paid. I would do it now, but I had to buy Sammi's books for this semester today. Oi.

man its good to be back. ive been lurking around a bit. but Reddit has consumed my internet time.

this place is that zany corner of The internet where you hangout with a community of people you actually start to know.

Thanks Dave!

re chinese. we just said Hello to each other and asked where The other was living.[DOUBLEPOST=1489470556,1489470129][/DOUBLEPOST]i mean shit. I cant beleive this place started because pvp perma banned its boards and we all still wanted to hang out.

我2014也跟我的中国老婆回国了 我5月份会去台湾台北市参加我的朋友的婚礼然后去中国大陆代3个星期看看我的朋友和老婆的家人。 我在美国准备去牙医学院当牙医。
要带老婆来吗

Dave you're awesoem
Hey, welcome back! Not so much kung fu craziness these days since the kids grew up, got married, and moved out--and I moved to Virginia and didn't take any of the students with me. These days, it's all about writing my next book and playing tinwhistle (intermittently) on Facebook Live.

But I *have* lost 60-70 lbs since I posted those kung fu vids. I even fit in my old kung fu uniform I used to wear in my 20's.

That game looks neat and just the kind of thing my youngest would like. I'll look to pledge on pay day.

I'll have to make time tonight to watch the sample playthrough, looks pretty fun! I go to a weekly boardgame meetup, and some people might be interested in seeing it as well.

Will the Trapper have 'Recal 1 Trap' spelled that way in the final version? I thought it was a prototype gaffe, but it's in the description's promo image as well.

But I *have* lost 60-70 lbs since I posted those kung fu vids. I even fit in my old kung fu uniform I used to wear in my 20's.
congratulations on the weight loss tin. its never an easy thing to do![DOUBLEPOST=1489499972,1489499875][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'll have to make time tonight to watch the sample playthrough, looks pretty fun! I go to a weekly boardgame meetup, and some people might be interested in seeing it as well.

Will the Trapper have 'Recal 1 Trap' spelled that way in the final version? I thought it was a prototype gaffe, but it's in the description's promo image as well.
oh geez that needs to be fixed and will be fixed post haste. If you see any other issues... please let us know.

oh geez that needs to be fixed and will be fixed post haste. If you see any other issues... please let us know.
Here's the other stuff I spotted:
  • On the main/promo video: 'recieve' (should be 'receive') is in one of the pop-up tooltips (0:36~).
  • On the campaign description: 'out maneuver' (should probably be 'outmaneuver' or 'out-maneuver'), 'Battle' (should probably be 'battle', unless it's a game keyword), "All backers for the full game will receive all stretch goals." (should probably be "All backers of the full game .."), "one central larger tile" (should probably be "one larger central tile" due to English adjective order, sounds a bit unnatural otherwise).
  • On the campaign graphics: "Out of this World Contibution" (should be 'Contribution', like it is on the pledge picker), "First player to complete 5 missions to trigger the end of the game." (should be ".. 5 missions triggers the end .." instead),
  • 'Flee' card: "Left Player Starts" IMO clashes with the rest of the card (which addresses players personally). Something like "Beginning/Starting With The Player To Your Left", "Begin/Start With Player To Your Left", "Player To Your Left Begins/Starts" may be better.
  • General card/design note: you may want to switch from 'he' pronoun when referring to players to something like 'they'. I didn't spot he/she alternation (which might be what you're doing and is a-ok usually), but it ends up being easier to use a generic pronoun most of the time, or just avoid them altogether and reword everything to either use 'player' or work with an implied subject.
Provided you release the print-to-play pdfs to the patch+ backers after the campaign, you should have a pretty good proofreading base prior to printing.

GasBandit

Staff member
Eya man. I got here late and am busier than a one legged cat trying to bury turds on asphalt, but good to see ya.

Here's the other stuff I spotted:
  • On the main/promo video: 'recieve' (should be 'receive') is in one of the pop-up tooltips (0:36~).
  • On the campaign description: 'out maneuver' (should probably be 'outmaneuver' or 'out-maneuver'), 'Battle' (should probably be 'battle', unless it's a game keyword), "All backers for the full game will receive all stretch goals." (should probably be "All backers of the full game .."), "one central larger tile" (should probably be "one larger central tile" due to English adjective order, sounds a bit unnatural otherwise).
  • On the campaign graphics: "Out of this World Contibution" (should be 'Contribution', like it is on the pledge picker), "First player to complete 5 missions to trigger the end of the game." (should be ".. 5 missions triggers the end .." instead),
  • 'Flee' card: "Left Player Starts" IMO clashes with the rest of the card (which addresses players personally). Something like "Beginning/Starting With The Player To Your Left", "Begin/Start With Player To Your Left", "Player To Your Left Begins/Starts" may be better.
  • General card/design note: you may want to switch from 'he' pronoun when referring to players to something like 'they'. I didn't spot he/she alternation (which might be what you're doing and is a-ok usually), but it ends up being easier to use a generic pronoun most of the time, or just avoid them altogether and reword everything to either use 'player' or work with an implied subject.
Provided you release the print-to-play pdfs to the patch+ backers after the campaign, you should have a pretty good proofreading base prior to printing.

holy crow this is amazing. if we sent you the print and play would you be interested in doing more of this?[DOUBLEPOST=1489514960,1489514922][/DOUBLEPOST]hey look. im on the radio...

http://cirh2.streamon.fm/listenlater-pl-8556

now almost at 60%.

these things are quite an emotional ride. for anyone considering doing a kickstarter. I have plenty of advice fo you of what we would have done differently.

now almost at 60%.

these things are quite an emotional ride. for anyone considering doing a kickstarter. I have plenty of advice fo you of what we would have done differently.
I'd forgotten about this! And we got our taxes back, so I just pledged. Looks like you're on track to meet your goal, though, so that's great!

-Adam

by the by i will be backing you today when i get home.

Any recomendations on what i could do with it?

I have a raspberry pi ive never used....

by the by i will be backing you today when i get home.

Any recomendations on what i could do with it?

I have a raspberry pi ive never used....
The Raspberry PI, unfortunately, doesn't have any analog inputs. So there's probably little reason to get one unless you're thinking of doing electronics projects with the Arduino or a similar small microcontroller.

doomdragon6

Staff member
I went ahead and pledged the $40 CA. I'm not much of a board game player, and I'll be honest in that I didn't read/watch much on your project page. However, I understand the sheer time, dedication, and passion that goes into a project like this, and how insanely hard it is to get something made, and get people motivated, and get people interested, that I had to pledge. Running a successful kickstarter one day is a passion of mine, and if I can't pledge to a friend, then I can't expect anyone to pledge to me one day.

Godspeed, sir. <3

I went ahead and pledged the $40 CA. I'm not much of a board game player, and I'll be honest in that I didn't read/watch much on your project page. However, I understand the sheer time, dedication, and passion that goes into a project like this, and how insanely hard it is to get something made, and get people motivated, and get people interested, that I had to pledge. Running a successful kickstarter one day is a passion of mine, and if I can't pledge to a friend, then I can't expect anyone to pledge to me one day.

Godspeed, sir. <3

wow thank you.

in the future when you do yours. remember to breathe. this past month has been a blur...

what do you want to kickstart?

doomdragon6

Staff member
So, I was wondering, how did you produce your initial mockups and such? For example, if I were to try to Kickstart a game and get the initial product made so that it can be shown off, photographed, videoed, etc, what resources did you use?