P

Proudly Autopowered

Thanks!
I knew it
From 1 side, it is a feature request,
from another, the desire to be informed when it is expected to be relaized

Dave

Staff member
There's an interesting thing with how XenForo handles animated avatars. You need a few things on the server like the ImageMagick library (which we have) and the PECL Imagick extension - which we do not have. I'd have to open a ticket with URLJet and then make some template changes. So in the end it's possible, but unless there's a huge call for it I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.
Added at: 08:11
I must say I do absolutely LOVE your animated avatar. I looked at it in your member card and laughed like a loon for a full minute.

P

Proudly Autopowered

So, I restore my avatar to its original serious appearance of my face

GasBandit

Staff member
There's an interesting thing with how XenForo handles animated avatars. You need a few things on the server like the ImageMagick library (which we have) and the PECL Imagick extension - which we do not have. I'd have to open a ticket with URLJet and then make some template changes. So in the end it's possible, but unless there's a huge call for it I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.
I'm still not clear on why this is the case, when every single browser in use supports both the GIF format and image scaling natively. It's like the developers decided to intentionally embrace clutter and waste.

I'm still not clear on why this is the case, when every single browser in use supports both the GIF format and image scaling natively. It's like the developers decided to intentionally embrace clutter and waste.
Exactly. If nothing else they should just make it a switch that allows the admin to either let them go through unchanged, merely setting the width and height of the image tag appropriately, or, if they have the tools installed, filter/resize/etc them.

P

Proudly Autopowered

Thanks, GasBandit,
After seeing your NickName I changed my mood (i.e. avatar) :aaah:

I am a complete ignoramus in XenForo though I've seen a thread in Russian
discussing various options for getting animation in avatars.

Though they are for sysadmins/webmasters and I am from a user side.

Status
Not open for further replies.