I will be judged...I didn't mind Dragonball Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, out of morbid curiosity, I ordered DB:E this weekend using our HD On Demand service. I've watched both Dragonball and Dragonball Z cartoons (the edited USA versions on Cartoon Network) and, aside from the often mentioned "power ups", I enjoyed the shows. After reading opinions on this forum and other places online, I assumed it was going to be a huge crapfest.

But it wasn't a crapfest. I guess if you're a die hard fan of series, then yeah, I could see how it'd be a massive disappointment. Goku was a white guy when everyone else except for Bulma was Asian. But, he IS an alien...so I could overlook that, even though that wasn't expanded upon. The high school stuff was pretty weak, but I've seen FAR worse.

The physical fight scenes were done well enough. I mean, it's hard to pull off anime in live action and not have it look idiotic. I like how they made the powers and how they worked in the Kamehamha (sp). I do wish the fight between Goku and Piccolo had used actual martial arts instead of just powers, but it worked.

Don't get me wrong...it could have been A LOT better. But, it wasn't nearly as bad as so many people made it out to be. You're not going to get all of the depth of a TV series in a two hour movie...or was it an hour and a half? But, I think it worked for what it was.

So judge me or what not. I don't mind dumbing myself down to enjoy a movie. Like I said before, I've seen a lot worse out of other movies. Here goes an unpopular opinion...I like Dragonball Evolution more than I liked most of Transformers 2 (the robot fights were great...the rest of the movie sucked). I'd watch DBE again...but not Transformers 2.

This movie actually made me angry. I mean, full blown nerd rage.

I had a dream after seeing it that it turned out to be an awesome movie the I woke up and was faced with the cold, hard reality that it was not awesome. I sat there in the my bed, surrounded by darkness, shivering with a rage that no one could understand. What little faith I had in movies slipped away as I I realized, for the first time, that movies are not art anymore...they are cash cows, bent on destroying all that was good in my childhood.

It was then I realized both Transformers 2 and GI Joe would suck...yet I would see them anyway, becoming part of the problem and also becoming a willing participant in my inner childs loss of innocence.

In short?

God DAMN, I hated the fucking movie.

-- Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:47 pm --

You are entitled to your opinion though.

LittleSin said:
This movie actually made me angry. I mean, full blown nerd rage.

I had a dream after seeing it that it turned out to be an awesome movie the I woke up and was faced with the cold, hard reality that it was not awesome. I sat there in the my bed, surrounded by darkness, shivering with a rage that no one could understand. What little faith I had in movies slipped away as I I realized, for the first time, that movies are not art anymore...they are cash cows, bent on destroying all that was good in my childhood.

It was then I realized both Transformers 2 and GI Joe would suck...yet I would see them anyway, becoming part of the problem and also becoming a willing participant in my inner childs loss of innocence.

In short?

God DAMN, I hated the smurfing movie.

-- Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:47 pm --

You are entitled to your opinion though.
Sorry I made you relive the nightmare.

L

LordRavage

Gods....I have been on the fence to see this movie. I like bad movies and have been tempted but since I keep reading about how terrible it is....I have been wanting to watch it more and more.

Signed,

Lost and confused in Halforum.

Well technically Dragon Ball the anime did end there... and DBZ started... so you have that already u bastich.

But yeah, the decline of Dragon Ball started with Trunks.

And ended with Boo. I'm serious, Cell and Boo sagas are DB getting worse, but DBGT is something else entirely. It's like DB was an awesome food that started to go bad and rot around cell and Boo, and then DBGT is not that food completely rotten, no. It is just SHIT with a shape remotely similar to that of the food.

Actually, if Toriyama had continued with dragon ball I'm sure the arc following boo would have been something similar to the dragons by the end of GT, but so much better (the idea of the balls being corrupted and misused was hinted in the Boo arc).

Adding time travel to a series that didn't have it from the get go (or at least similar stuff) never seems to work out...

@Li3n said:
Adding time travel to a series that didn't have it from the get go (or at least similar stuff) never seems to work out...
Well the entire series has always been this wierd mix of ultra tech and martial arts. I mean was the time travel really that much wierder than the idea of the capsules that had been around since episode 1?

To me the problem was always the talking. Too much talking and planning and yelling. Once that was done with the fights were always well done and had me cheering like an idiot even though I mercilessly mocked the show. But Post Trunks they took up too much time with the training, the talking, the shock and horror at the atrocities committed by the new big bad. Time travel definitely added to the amount of talking because they had to justify it all but time travel itself isn't too far a stretch for the DB universe.

I'm not talking about weird, i'm talking about how time travel rarely makes any sense and is hard to pull of.

I thought I'd read that the cartoon network version of contained a lot more fluff than you'd find on the english dub, along with cutting out a lot of the language and violence. I also recall reading that FUNimation went back and recut it to include that for a DVD release.

Anyone know anything about that?

KCWM said:
I thought I'd read that the cartoon network version of contained a lot more fluff than you'd find on the english dub, along with cutting out a lot of the language and violence. I also recall reading that FUNimation went back and recut it to include that for a DVD release.

Anyone know anything about that?
I don't have the exact numbers on me, but entire "storyline" episodes were removed from the Cartoon Network version and about anywhere from 2-8 minutes of footage were pulled from alot of episodes.

Reasons being were that the "storyline" episodes were considered too boring for American children and the violence was replaced with re-used animation and "powering up".

As for Dragonball the original series? It bored me to tears. Dragonball Z, for me, was a step up.

tegid said:
But yeah, the decline of Dragon Ball started with Trunks.

And ended with Boo. I'm serious, Cell and Boo sagas are DB getting worse, but DBGT is something else entirely. It's like DB was an awesome food that started to go bad and rot around cell and Boo, and then DBGT is not that food completely rotten, no. It is just poop with a shape remotely similar to that of the food.

Actually, if Toriyama had continued with dragon ball I'm sure the arc following boo would have been something similar to the dragons by the end of GT, but so much better (the idea of the balls being corrupted and misused was hinted in the Boo arc).
To be fair, if memory serves, I believe Toriyama wanted to end it after Cell, but he had to write more (the show was too successful by then) and so Buu was born.

In fact, DBGT didn't have his input at all. No manga derivatives. Purely the work of the studio.

Scydron out.

Status
Not open for further replies.