If I eat the carrots, can I have the rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elph

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleash ... ution.html

The 24-year-old granddaughter of Ernesto "Che" Guevara will partner with PETA in the group's first South American campaign to promote vegetarianism.

The campaign, expected to debut in Argentina this October in the form of print ads and posters, features Lydia Guevara armed with carrot-laden ammunition belts and wearing a beret that even the youngest hipster will recognize from a famous T-shirt design. The resulting image is a "homage of sorts to her late grandfather," the Marxist leader who figured prominently in Fidel Castro's rise to power in Cuba, PETA spokesman Michael McGraw told the Associated Press.

The campaign's tag line: "Join the vegetarian revolution."

C

Chibibar

You might like what you find underneath. And I don't mean the carrots.

Awesome. Reduce the history of Cuba to an attention-whoring publicity stunt for a bunch of crazy assholes. Way to go, bitch.

E

elph

Chibibar said:
You might like what you find underneath. And I don't mean the carrots.
At first I thought it was corn dogs she had on her. To which, I was thinking "Why would someone with PETA have a bandoleer of corn dogs. I know they're crazy, but that doesn't make sense."

GasBandit

Staff member
Soap and water. Soap and water. Soap and water. Soap and water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water.

elph said:
At first I thought it was corn dogs she had on her. To which, I was thinking "Why would someone with PETA have a bandoleer of corn dogs. I know they're crazy, but that doesn't make sense."
:rofl:

I didn't see that at first but now that you mention it, I totally do. Nice.

C

Chibibar

GasBandit said:
Soap and water. Soap and water. Soap and water. Soap and water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water.
Have to be nature friendly soap. Do that really exist?

Edit: I think the idea of Africa going vegetarian is a silly idea. The country has to be able to grow FOOD before even picking their food choices. Unless something has change since I study sociology, isn't Africa (at least some places) are under developed and many people are hungry? I would assume government corruption, less farmland, and lack of food?

ZenMonkey said:
Awesome. Reduce the history of Cuba to an attention-whoring publicity stunt for a bunch of crazy assholes. Way to go, bitch.
This.

Even though she doesn't look half bad.

GasBandit

Staff member
Chibibar said:
GasBandit said:
Have to be nature friendly soap. Do that really exist?
Skip to :45 or so.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxBulp6A644:u2ingz8x][/youtube:u2ingz8x]

Edit: I think the idea of Africa going vegetarian is a silly idea. The country has to be able to grow FOOD before even picking their food choices. Unless something has change since I study sociology, isn't Africa (at least some places) are under developed and many people are hungry? I would assume government corruption, less farmland, and lack of food?
South America, not Africa.

The biggest problem that causes most African Famines is war. It is more efficient to kill a lot of people by only killing a handful, the farmers. Then if you want more of your enemies to die, hijack the relief supplies.

-- Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:00 pm --

There are many unintentional vegetarians in Latin America. They don't eat meat because all they can afford is black beans and rice. It is pretty tacky to tell nations with hunger issues to give up meat.

C

Chibibar

GasBandit said:
I stand corrected. South America.

But isn't that almost the same situation?

Sixpacker is right about limited food supply still. If you don't have food or very little, you pretty much eat what is available or starve. Being vegetarian won't solve this issue... silly PETA

K

kaykordeath

Wow...the second time I get to post this....both times being relevant to the conversation...
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmK0bZl4ILM:2z486900][/youtube:2z486900]

General Fuzzy McBitty said:
:Leyla:

History is meaningless to people. This hurts my brain.
Especially when it's their own goddamn family. That really hurts my brain.

For the record, going vegetarian would help in some cases in Africa - it takes a lot less farmland and a lot less resources to produce the same amount of food in the form of plants, compared to cattle.

Man, I'm having trouble parsing my own sentences today. Eh. Anyway, one acre of farmland used for cattle will feed less people than an acre of farmland growing corn or rice or some such.

That said, telling them to go veggie is silly....Oh, and I can't see the image :-(

K

Kitty Sinatra

Che Guevara was long ago transformed into a commodity. She's just continuing that tradition.

. . . I'd buy that for a dollar!

A

Armadillo

Bubble181 said:
For the record, going vegetarian would help in some cases in Africa - it takes a lot less farmland and a lot less resources to produce the same amount of food in the form of plants, compared to cattle.

Man, I'm having trouble parsing my own sentences today. Eh. Anyway, one acre of farmland used for cattle will feed less people than an acre of farmland growing corn or rice or some such.

That said, telling them to go veggie is silly....Oh, and I can't see the image :-(
From a "food per acre" standpoint, you're right. The major hurdle is how do those people get protein and certain B-vitamins? The kind of crops that grow well in Africa aren't your leafy greens, broccoli, or other nutritionally dense foods. You have to have access to nutritional information and alternative sources to have a truly balanced, meat-free diet. The ability to be vegetarian is a luxury, really.

C

Chibibar

@Li3n said:
Chibibar said:

*face palm image*
Same situation as in telling them to go vegetarian. It is not easy. There are certain types of veggies that can grow in each area and what about all the base supplement of vitamins you need to survive? If you have certain deficiency from lack of vitamins can cause even MORE issue. I am NOT saying that South America and Africa ARE the same thing (the would be an epic facepalm) I'm saying that telling either country to go vegetarian is silly in either continent.

Chibibar said:
@Li3n said:
Chibibar said:

*face palm image*
Same situation as in telling them to go vegetarian. It is not easy. There are certain types of veggies that can grow in each area and what about all the base supplement of vitamins you need to survive? If you have certain deficiency from lack of vitamins can cause even MORE issue. I am NOT saying that South America and Africa ARE the same thing (the would be an epic facepalm) I'm saying that telling either country to go vegetarian is silly in either continent.
Precisely.

South America is a big producer of meat. If you're making it, you might as well eat it.

Chibibar said:
GasBandit said:

No, not really.

Though it will be in a few decades if they keep turning all their rain forests into deserts.

C

Chibibar

escushion said:
Chibibar said:
GasBandit said:

No, not really.

Though it will be in a few decades if they keep turning all their rain forests into deserts.
In terms of food production and making the people becoming vegetarian..

Yesh, some of you people really nit picking the words aren't ya? ;)

Basically we are talking about culture of people. It doesn't have to be North, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, or ANYWHERE! trying to convert any one of the continent much less a country to vegetarianism is silly in my book. The richer countries MIGHT be able to do it with proper supplement and such. I was a vegetarian for about 15 years of my life. I only drink milk, and eat cheese and eggs. I don't eat fish or meat. It was hard at first, but there are supplement that I HAVE to take in order to get a balance diet. I quit cause I just can't truly afford it and not run out of energy. Can you imagine a 2nd world or 3rd world countries can afford to become vegetarian?

Sure a single acre of cows vs veggies is VASTLY different in terms of food production, but you are talking about changing people's diet. It is not an overnight operation. I had to slowly ween myself and supplement with vegetarian meat. Just simply turning vegetarian isn't the solution. You have to worry about the health of these people and some might gradually turn and some might not, then what? Trying to convince a person to give up meat cause it is bad for the earth while their family is working hard trying to put any food on the table? Heck, I'm barely middle income and I'm trying to put any food on the table.

Necroing the thread but I just found this video on reddit and its awesome.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTsWjbjQ8E:mhunaoih][/youtube:mhunaoih]

Espy said:
Thats REALLY awesome Hobo... what show is that from?
:rofl: :rofl:

EDIT---

I just realised it looks like I'm laughing at the comment. I'm not, I'm laughing at the video, but for some reason I quoted Espy!

Status
Not open for further replies.