Export thread

Irony

Jay

Jay

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...edators-Chris-Hansen-caught-cheating-wife.htm

Hansen, 51, has allegedly been having an affair with Kristyn Caddell, a 30-year-old Florida journalist, for the last four months.

Last weekend he was recorded taking Miss Caddell on a romantic dinner at the exclusive Ritz-Carlton hotel in Manalapan, before spending the night at her Palm Beach apartment.
Secret cameras filmed the couple as they arrived at the hotel for dinner and then drove back to her apartment – where the pair left, carrying luggage, at 8am the following day.

Hansen lives in Connecticut with his wife Mary, 53, but he has been spending more and more time in South Florida investigating the disappearance of James ‘Jimmy T’ Trindade – and allegedly sleeping with Miss Caddell.​

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

In before "why don't have a seat right there."

@Li3n

@Li3n

Irony would have been if the age difference was the same, but Hansen was under 38...

figmentPez

figmentPez

Irony would have been if the age difference was the same, but Hansen was under 38...
That would have been a greater irony, but it's still unexpected for someone who sets up sting operations to get busted by one himself.

@Li3n

@Li3n

It's not that unexpected, it's not like doing sting operations build up an immunity to them...

It's like rain on your wedding day, sure, you're expecting it to be sunny, but your expectation isn't very realistic to begin with...

But there is a bit of irony in him dating someone almost half his age while he gets 20-something year olds arrested for doing the same thing.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Are there laws still on the books about cheating on your wife? What is the big deal?

Espy

Espy

Are there laws still on the books about cheating on your wife? What is the big deal?
Well, I can't say that it's really a big deal to anyone here, but I bet it's a big deal to his wife.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well, I can't say that it's really a big deal to anyone here, but I bet it's a big deal to his wife.
Exactly it is not a big deal.

I can't believe that I just read a MAIL piece that heavily quotes The National Inquirer.

I wonder what the Inquirer has against Hansen that they would run a "sting" into his private life.

Espy

Espy

Probably because it's kind of... funny I guess? I mean, the guy who makes a living off stinging folks go stung? It's not a big deal though, no.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wonder if he ever caught a staffer at the Inquirer (or one of their family members) planning to rape a child...

Yeah that totally makes intruding on 2 consenting adults justifiable.

Shannow

Shannow

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I was using justifiable in an ironic way.

I need me some horn rimmed glasses now.

Shannow

Shannow

Sorry, I forgot to put in OP

Wasabi Poptart

I don't get the irony. Was this a sting like the ones that he sets up? No. He wasn't caught doing anything against the law. He was caught cheating on his wife with someone over 18 which is immoral. If he was the host of the show "Cheaters" and got caught with this woman, then I'd say it was pretty ironic.

Jay

Jay

I don't get the irony. Was this a sting like the ones that he sets up? No. He wasn't caught doing anything against the law. He was caught cheating on his wife with someone over 18 which is immoral. If he was the host of the show "Cheaters" and got caught with this woman, then I'd say it was pretty ironic.
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/cel...tor-catcher-chris-hansen-cheating-caught-tape

And your collective interpretation of what YOU perceive is irony clearly makes you not understand what the word is, nor the different kinds of irony there is.

Shannow

Shannow

naw, Wasabi pretty much summed it up correctly.

Chibibar

It's not that unexpected, it's not like doing sting operations build up an immunity to them...

It's like rain on your wedding day, sure, you're expecting it to be sunny, but your expectation isn't very realistic to begin with...

But there is a bit of irony in him dating someone almost half his age while he gets 20-something year olds arrested for doing the same thing.
the irony would be if Chris was dating a minor (under 18)

As long both parties are legal (in this case lets say 18 since that is a majority for most states) then, it is 'ok' since they are legal adult. Is it right? well, that is up to the society on that one.

Now the bad part that he is married and cheating on his wife. That won't look good for him in the future since general public will just lump him in with other 'degenerates'.

Wasabi Poptart

I would even see irony in the situation if he had been caught stalking an adult woman online.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Jay likes that Alanis Morissette song.

makare

Jay likes that Alanis Morissette song.
I think that would be ironic.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Don't you think?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

:facepalm:

makare

Cry little charmander cry

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

makare

man they always stop before they get to the good part. :(

Jay

Jay

man they always stop before they get to the good part. :(

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ain't nobody's business.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Actually... there ARE still laws on the books for infidelity down here... they're just nigh un-enforceable... like the laws against sodomy.

Wasabi Poptart

Is it GA or AL (or both) that has laws against sex toys, too?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

That would be TX, I believe

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That is correct OC, even though every town over 20,000 have a sex shop. Just the contents can't be taken across county lines.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

That would be TX, I believe
it was but that law was finally repealed like this year or a few years ago.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Shannow

Shannow

Yeah, it was in the news here. Just made me :facepalm:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I just came here to post a link to that same story.

Some of the comments along the lines of "He died doing what he loved," really piss me off.

I doubt he loved smashing his skull against the pavement.

Joe Johnson

Wait, who died?

Dave

Dave

A guy who was on a motorcycle ride protesting the helmet laws crashed and died from massive head wounds. Medical personnel at the scene say if he'd been wearing a helmet he'd have lived.

IRONY!!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

A motorcyclist that was protesting helmet laws. He was in a crash that killed him, but he would have lived if he was obeying the law (wearing a helmet.)

Joe Johnson

Oh, I see it now. I completely missed the link in that post the first time.

Shannow

Shannow

Gotta love the locals around here!

@Li3n

@Li3n

Or 16, or 14, or even 13 in some places... or even 21...

The ages themselves are pretty arbitrary... the idea is that he's dating a woman that could be his daughter easily... and he broke the half+7 rule... 25+7 > 30.
Added at: 11:35
Some of the comments along the lines of "He died doing what he loved," really piss me off.

I doubt he loved smashing his skull against the pavement.
To be fair, he did love to allow for the possibility of getting his brains splattered all over the side-walk...

Chibibar

Or 16, or 14, or even 13 in some places... or even 21...

The ages themselves are pretty arbitrary... the idea is that he's dating a woman that could be his daughter easily... and he broke the half+7 rule... 25+7 > 30.
Added at: 11:35

To be fair, he did love to allow for the possibility of getting his brains splattered all over the side-walk...
He may, BUT he is still doing it legally.
As long he doesn't chase girls under age of 18, there is no irony really. (IMO)
Now, if he start chasing underage kids, then we have issues.
Now that is the legal side.

Morally, who knows. Back in the days, older men married younger women to have children.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Yep, to have the child that they married.

Chibibar

Yep, to have the child that they married.
huh? You lost me :)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

"to have" can be a sexual reference. Couple that with marrying a child...

makare

hmm i dont think ive heard have in that context.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Wictionary said:
(transitive) To engage in sexual intercourse with.
  1. He's always bragging about how many women he's had.

makare

I've heard had but not to have.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is just conjugation.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've heard had but not to have.
It's a little archaic, but I still see it in the occasional british TV show.

"I'm going to lash you within an inch of your life, and then I'm going to have you." - Demon Rimmer

makare

ah well that makes sense.

mmm the lashing and the having..

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

*grabs mop and bucket* Makare, hon, you're drooling

GasBandit

GasBandit

ah well that makes sense.

mmm the lashing and the having..
This is a picture of who delivered that line:

makare

what is that on his forehead?

GasBandit

GasBandit

what is that on his forehead?
an "H."

MindDetective

MindDetective

For "hologram"

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

..."I'm going to lash you within an inch of your life, and then I'm going to have you." - Demon Rimmer
That sounds like Nick's Prom NightTM

LittleSin

LittleSin

We still use 'have/had' here.

This whole conversation has been confusing to me. I'm not that far from, well, everywhere else. How is the language so different?

makare

I've heard people say they've had someone but not that they are going to have someone. If some guy says I must have her I am thinking he means as his wife.... and he is pretending to be Rhett Butler.

or in fact IS Rhett Butler.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There is also an implication of force in that usage... like the whipping and having quote. Which is why it is not used in that sense very often.

There are scant words in our language that at one time or another did not have sexual connotations.

Heck 15 years ago "to talk to" a girl meant intercourse... wait...

@Li3n

@Li3n

He may, BUT he is still doing it legally.
As long he doesn't chase girls under age of 18, there is no irony really. (IMO)
Irony cares not for the laws of men...

What if he was dating a 17 year old in a state where the legal age was 16? It would not be illegal either... but it would be more obviously irony...