It's a giant iPhone: the iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wii had a niche and served it well.
There were those who believed that there was no niche for the Wii to fill. We now know better. The Wii either filled a niche that few saw, or it carved one out. I suspect that either of those outcomes is what apple is hoping for in the iPad.

Do you remember when the iphone first came out?

It was a music and video player with a phone.

That was it. You could barely use it for anything else. The data rate was too slow to be usable for browsing or maps. You couldn't load programs on it. The high end model had some 8GB of space.

While there were other smartphones out there, the iphone didn't even compete with them at ANYTHING.

It literally cracked open its own market.

Now it's only 3 years later, and the iPhone, with all its warts, is THE smartphone to beat. And NO ONE comes even close to giving as good a user experience as it. It wasn't until last year that they finally got me (the higher speed connection, compass, better GPS, and promise of tethering...) but people are going to it in droves.

Android, frankly, pales in comparison. Because Apple very, very tightly controls the hardware, environment (what's running), and even the software that people are allowed to download the job of developing an app is almost trivial compared to developing for the Android where you have to account for 10 different platforms, and the possibility that the user may be running so much stuff in the background that your app can't work flawlessly. The user has to understand and _think_ about their phone instead of simply using it.

I can totally see myself using the ipad all day, every day. Yes, I have two monitors, but I'd love a third display showing a datasheet, book, or just keeping an eye on a wootoff. I'd love to be able to take not just all my music and movies, but books with me wherever I am. The iphone is still lightyears beyond windows mobile and android in terms of browsing the internet, but it still can't compete with a computer. The iPad should be significantly better for browsing. I'd love having it in my car for both music and GPS navigation.

I can see myself leaving my laptop behind on vacation, and using just the ipad.

It is, for all intents and purposes, the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy for $30/month.

That being said, I doubt I'm getting one yet. Apple is seriously holding out in additional features. And I expect that skype and other voip apps will still only work on a wifi network.

But like the iphone, it's either going to die, or create its own market.

I'm guessing the latter.
Pretty much everything this wicked genius here said.

I can almost expect to see a hospital buying a couple gross of the low-cost Wi-Fi models and then using them:
-At the check-in to take your info, even to tapping a 'paper doll' on the screen to go through the whole "What hurts?" scenario.
-At the bedside to enter and manipulate 'chart' data. They can even be made smart enough to know which room you're in/which bed you're standing next to in order to display the proper data.
-View X-Rays, patient history, whatever is stored in the hospital's database (or whatever it can pull down from Wi-Fi), essentially becoming a portable window into the records system.
-Hell, with the right peripherals, you could just sit one right next to the patient's bed as the monitor, recording data over time and storing it, then having someone come in every 8 hours to change your iPad and load a fresh one on the dock.

Create its own market, indeed!

--Patrick

Oh, there are also a lot of executives that still carry around Franklin Covey planners - this is their brain. I expect the iPad to become the replacement.

Also, this may be the gateway into the ultimate day planner - buy two, and put them inside the planner binder. One with 3G, the other with wifi, and special apps on both that allow them to work together as a 2 page planner.

Hrm. I obviously need to start up my mac and get developing....

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

The iPad: Best invention ever. Period.

EHEHEHEHEH
Spot on. It'll catch all your creative juices.

C

chakz

The Wii had a niche and served it well.
There were those who believed that there was no niche for the Wii to fill. We now know better. The Wii either filled a niche that few saw, or it carved one out. I suspect that either of those outcomes is what apple is hoping for in the iPad.[/QUOTE]

I just meant that the wii was a console with limitless possibilities, its just that no body could figure out what they are- Maybe that is too harsh. When I first saw it, I thought that the wii was going to add a new dimension to gameplay that would make up for its lack of power. Don't get me wrong some games managed to use it quite creatively, but more often than not it wound up as a gimmick, which I suppose you have to expect with things like these.

The ipad doesn't necessarily compare to the wii in this area but certainly seems to have the same zipcode: Its an interesting idea, but is it really necessary? Will people be able to do anything with it? If it doesn't add a new dimension to the use of personal computers will it at least carve out a niche for itself like the wii did?

R

Rubicon

Oh, there are also a lot of executives that still carry around Franklin Covey planners - this is their brain. I expect the iPad to become the replacement.

Also, this may be the gateway into the ultimate day planner - buy two, and put them inside the planner binder. One with 3G, the other with wifi, and special apps on both that allow them to work together as a 2 page planner.

Hrm. I obviously need to start up my mac and get developing....

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

The iPad: Best invention ever. Period.

EHEHEHEHEH
Spot on. It'll catch all your creative juices.
You sir, are win.

So according to the latest rumors that new A4 chip is actually a low voltage chip with either 2 or 4 cores and a gpu. If that ends up being true, then aside from being dicks, I can't think of any reason not to have multitasking. But maybe that'll be enabled for the revolutionary 2.0 version..

And yeah, this thing will either sink or swim. Given the loyalty of Apple customers I can only assume it'll do well enough. Hell everytime they update their macbooks thousands get replaced that very day and given the low price it's really a minor purchase for hardware enthusiasts/people interested in the tablet idea/fanboys.

This is without any doubt going to succeed. If it were from any other brand, I wouldn't be sure, but c'mon, it's apple.

This is without any doubt going to succeed. If it were from any other brand, I wouldn't be sure, but c'mon, it's apple.
I agree. worst case scenario it winds up like the apple tv. Not hugely successful, but with a small, extremely loyal fan base.

So according to the latest rumors that new A4 chip is actually a low voltage chip with either 2 or 4 cores and a gpu. If that ends up being true, then aside from being dicks, I can't think of any reason not to have multitasking. But maybe that'll be enabled for the revolutionary 2.0 version..
It could be they don't want people to experience a performance hit that comes with it.:noidea: I'm not real familiar with the iPhone hardware, but isn't that the same deal?

A daily planner app would probably be a huge seller on this.

Z

zero

So according to the latest rumors that new A4 chip is actually a low voltage chip with either 2 or 4 cores and a gpu. If that ends up being true, then aside from being dicks, I can't think of any reason not to have multitasking. But maybe that'll be enabled for the revolutionary 2.0 version...
I don't believe too much on those multicore rummors for the A4 cpu (although the presence of a GPU is almost certain). It wouldn't be wise to add multicore to such a consumption-sensitive device. Of course, multiple cores aren't a requirement for multitasking.

Then again (please, notice from my previous posts on the thread I am far from being an apple fanboy), there are more reasons for not allowing multitasking than just "being dicks". Multitasking adds considerable uncertainty to an application behaviour as, the instant you allow multiple applications to run in parallel, you can no longer be sure of the resources available to each. "Well, of course" - you may say - "but that's how we've been coding for PC´s since ever". True, but that new generation of iPhone developers know nothing (or don't want to know) of those things, and enjoy their application to be the thing running on the device.

In fact, that's one of the major cultural shocks faced by an iPhone developer who tries to switch to Android (who has full multiask).

Oh yeah, and ditto on whoever mentioned the N900. That's the only portable device I want to own right now.

fade

Staff member
I reiterate again to the people citing "flocking Apple fanboys": go check out an Apple site. Most Apple "fanboys" are saying the same things that most people in this thread are. Like what niche does this fill, etc.

*shrug* I've always been an Apple-critic - the iMac was a laptop, the iPod an MP3 player, the iPhone a smartphone. Good design, easy interface and a big hype, to me, never justified the high prices and the amount of gushing and hype and buzz.
This is a glorified eReader. It's an iPod Touch with a larger screen. It'll be a huge success and it'll be the mediapad to beat in the coming years, simply because it's the Apple thing.
At least the others brought something interesting to their respective markets, though...I haven't found how this beats a blackberry/kindle or netbook/iPhone or half a dozen other combinations yet.

Fade: locked software may be great for developers; it may help make it easier to develop, and as such, I'm not saying it's necessarily evil - but it certainly doesn't make for a better actual device. Otherwise, an Xbox 360 is superior to a computer. Which, to my knowledge, it isn't, for most things.

fade

Staff member
*shrug* I've always been an Apple-critic - the iMac was a laptop, the iPod an MP3 player, the iPhone a smartphone. Good design, easy interface and a big hype, to me, never justified the high prices and the amount of gushing and hype and buzz.
This is a glorified eReader. It's an iPod Touch with a larger screen. It'll be a huge success and it'll be the mediapad to beat in the coming years, simply because it's the Apple thing.
At least the others brought something interesting to their respective markets, though...I haven't found how this beats a blackberry/kindle or netbook/iPhone or half a dozen other combinations yet.

Fade: locked software may be great for developers; it may help make it easier to develop, and as such, I'm not saying it's necessarily evil - but it certainly doesn't make for a better actual device. Otherwise, an Xbox 360 is superior to a computer. Which, to my knowledge, it isn't, for most things.
I'm not saying it's better, just that it surprisingly leads to more third party developers.

Also, I have to call you on the "just because it's Apple" thing. That certainly is not true of the iPod. Apple was waning heavily. For all analysts knew, it was going under. The iPod took off not because it was an MP3 player, but because it was a good MP3 player. It was different. It's extremely functional (and gets right to the point) compared to most of the competitors. In fact, I'd say that's true of a lot of Apple products, and it's been the thing that converts the wary Mac-hater who gives in and tries it. I don't care about Apple. I care about my laptop and my computational server. I could configure something cheaper from parts as a PC (which I've done, many times) but the usability and the practicality won this former hard-core mac-hater over.

I'll admit the iPod didn't yet have the current version Apple storm going for it... It was partially made because of the hype, though. It was good, yes, but I remember the first iPods...They were bigger than most competitors, heavy, and horribly expensive. And the first generation wasn't nearly shock-absorbant enough.

That said - I know Apple products tend to "just work". I understand its appeal, I can see why people would choose it. The "it just works" bit only holds true because there are so many other limitations in place, though, which irks me, personally.
That aside, I'm not a hardcore hater, and I might get an iPhone, if I thought they were worth having, in Belgium.

C

Chazwozel

All I got to say is:

Samsung N110-12PBK 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 6 Cell Battery (9.5 Hours)

AND

Far better than iPad

fade

Staff member
I'll admit the iPod didn't yet have the current version Apple storm going for it... It was partially made because of the hype, though. It was good, yes, but I remember the first iPods...They were bigger than most competitors, heavy, and horribly expensive. And the first generation wasn't nearly shock-absorbant enough.

That said - I know Apple products tend to "just work". I understand its appeal, I can see why people would choose it. The "it just works" bit only holds true because there are so many other limitations in place, though, which irks me, personally.
That aside, I'm not a hardcore hater, and I might get an iPhone, if I thought they were worth having, in Belgium.

There are some limitations on, say, my MacBook or my MacPro, but not many. If anything, the software side is less limiting, since I can run Mac, Windows, and can compile and run POSIX compliant *nix software. I can upgrade the ram, the video (within limits of course, but they're good limits), etc. To me, the just works part is more about the well-thought-out UI and a thin, aluminum clad macbook that doesn't creak and groan with plastic noises when I pick it up, like every Dell or IBM laptop I've had. Yet it still runs quickly. I use it for numerical simulations when I'm away from the desktop. Granted, there's a premium price, and I don't expect everyone would want to pay for it, but I think a computer is more than the sum of its parts.

The "it just works" bit only holds true because there are so many other limitations in place, though, which irks me, personally.
Not to get to sidestracked but since you are being reasonable and not the typical "omg applefanbois sucking steve jobs off" we get around here I'll ask you the question: What limitations are you talking about? My Mac Pro and Macbook Pro run Windows and OSX and it COULD run Linux if I cared. I can do more with those computers than any normal PC user. I'm a little limited by my video card choices but I've yet to meet a game that my video cards can't handle but I can see that as a fair criticism I suppose. My iPod Touch might have a "locked system" but it has almost a MILLION and a HALF applications in the app store. Sure Apple has to approve them and sure they have done some wonky rejections, but in the end I have more choices then I will ever be able to actually sift through let alone run. My iPod works with iTunes, okay, maybe thats a big deal to some, I really don't give a damn as long as it works well and it does, quite well in fact (granted the PC version is slow as poop, but again, on my mac I can use windows or OSX so I have MORE options!). I can only run one app at a time, and yes, that sucks BUT with my first gen iPod Touch if I ran more than one it would be so damn slow it's not even funny. Once the speeds get high enough expect to see more power and more apps running at once.
I'm not saying there aren't some limitations, clearly there are, but there are always limitations with any software or hardware whether they come from price or compatibility. So in all seriousness (and absolutely no flaming, I totally respect Mr. Bubbles opinion here :) ) what do you see as the limitations that I as a Mac and iPod user face?

I haven't found how this beats a blackberry/kindle or netbook/iPhone or half a dozen other combinations yet.
Well, one might say that it beats those combination by not being a combination. It might not do everything a blackberry/kindle combo would allow you to do, but at least it's only one device. Whether or not the execution is flawless, the attempt is virtuous.

C

Chazwozel

I haven't found how this beats a blackberry/kindle or netbook/iPhone or half a dozen other combinations yet.
Well, one might say that it beats those combination by not being a combination. It might not do everything a blackberry/kindle combo would allow you to do, but at least it's only one device. Whether or not the execution is flawless, the attempt is virtuous.[/QUOTE]

You need an iPhone to go with your iPad. I still think a solid netbook is better.

I'm a bit late to it, but the 1st-gen iphone comparison isn't really apt. When the iphone launched, they specifically marketed it as a smartphone to people who weren't business/power-users but still wanted internet on the go, had multiple email addresses, and wanted a variety of smartphone-like applications. iPod users who were dissatisfied by their current phones, but weren't convinced by BBerries/HTC, etc.

They knew exactly who they were marketing to. They didn't "create their own market", they already did that, and found a way to jump back into their wallets (Apple has a particular talent for that, in fact). And this was before the app-store juggernaut.

This time, going by the various press releases and investor calls, they genuinely don't seem to know who their market is, and it kind of shows with the way they talk up the product. I haven't seen a single thing telling me, as an iPhone/Macbook user, why I would want something like this. I haven't seen a single thing telling users of other smartphones/e-readers/tablets why they should want this instead.

All I've seen is a bunch of presentations showing how it's a bunch of different things slapped onto a giant iPod Touch. Which may be fine, as a product. All-in-one devices are big business. But they're really not making the case for why any of those bits, put together, make for a larger, enticing whole, and as both a consumer and a marketer, I think that's telling.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Those videos have ruined that movie for me...and yet, it is glorious! :laugh:

K

Kitty Sinatra

One button mouse.

Sorry, after 4 pages it had to be said.:p
It should've been said on page 1. Within 4 posts. By me. I've failed, Halforums. I've failed Halforums

Thanks for picking up the slack, Shakey.

The "it just works" bit only holds true because there are so many other limitations in place, though, which irks me, personally.
Not to get to sidestracked but since you are being reasonable and not the typical "omg applefanbois sucking steve jobs off" we get around here I'll ask you the question: What limitations are you talking about? My Mac Pro and Macbook Pro run Windows and OSX and it COULD run Linux if I cared. I can do more with those computers than any normal PC user. I'm a little limited by my video card choices but I've yet to meet a game that my video cards can't handle but I can see that as a fair criticism I suppose. My iPod Touch might have a "locked system" but it has almost a MILLION and a HALF applications in the app store. Sure Apple has to approve them and sure they have done some wonky rejections, but in the end I have more choices then I will ever be able to actually sift through let alone run. My iPod works with iTunes, okay, maybe thats a big deal to some, I really don't give a damn as long as it works well and it does, quite well in fact (granted the PC version is slow as poop, but again, on my mac I can use windows or OSX so I have MORE options!). I can only run one app at a time, and yes, that sucks BUT with my first gen iPod Touch if I ran more than one it would be so damn slow it's not even funny. Once the speeds get high enough expect to see more power and more apps running at once.
I'm not saying there aren't some limitations, clearly there are, but there are always limitations with any software or hardware whether they come from price or compatibility. So in all seriousness (and absolutely no flaming, I totally respect Mr. Bubbles opinion here :) ) what do you see as the limitations that I as a Mac and iPod user face?[/QUOTE]

RAWR APPLE SUCKS JOBS IS A...errr, I mean, never mind. Anyway, in large part, you have answered your own question - it's an old rhetoric trick, that, naming some of your opponent's possible points to refute them in advance. :-P
Now, first off: you can, of course, run Windows or Linux on your macs. These days, even legally, so, hurray for that. On the one hand, that's eliminated a lot of what I personally didn't like about Apple. Being able to dual-boot Windows (or Linux) and OSX really does give you an advantage over most regular PCs. However, if you're running it in Windows, it's no better than any other laptop out there - and overpriced for its specs.
To me, some of the limitations would be:
a) pre-judged apps - just look at the XBLA selection compared to some other media to see the difference. The Apple review sometimes takes months, means there're (normally) no free apps, and so on. In return, of course, it guarantees all apps work and there are some standards and such.
b) iTunes may work fine for you, but, well, there are a lot more iPods etc than mac computers out there, so quite a few people are using that slower, badly-coded, horrible piece of software called iTunes for Windows. It may work flawlessly on a mac, I wouldn't know, but the Windows version really is quite terrible. Not being able to use another mp3 manager program is a big problem to me.
c) hardware-wise, you're quite limited. Once again, done to ensure that everything "works", yes, fine, but it also limits choices to what they like. Is there really any sense to the iPad not having a couple of USB ports? The ability to hook up a (foldable, for example) keyboard, or a DVD drive, or a webcam, or for all I care heated typing gloves (yes, they exist, USB-powered heated gloves...I've seen them), would make it much more versatile.
d) As previously said somewhere, the no multi-tasking thing. Once again, design choice to improve on other things, fine, but to me it's a limitation.

Most things I consider limitations are basic design choices to simplify and streamline things, I'm well aware. It's perfectly OK that Apple chooses to offer this; not everyone wants to jump through hoops to get everything running properly. I can really see the benefits of having a Mac for work and surfing, and a console for more serious gaming. I personally prefer to do both on my PC which is set up exactly the way I like it, with the bells and whistles I want, no more and no less, but obviously that's not for everyone.

What does annoy me, though, is how Apple seems to get away with a lot of things Microsoft gets taken to task for. Imagine if Microsoft didn't make software for IBM compatibles, but just for IBMs. All pcs in the world made by the same manufacturer. All hardware only usable under license by Microsoft. All software needs a Microsoft security check and certificate to run. And so forth. They'd be...Well, pretty much Big Brother by now. I know it probably wouldn't have come out the same way and some other "free" platform would've taken the place of Windows, but still - it's basically what Apple does, and because they're smaller and there's still competition out there, people seem to be OK with it.

Well, one might say that it beats those combination by not being a combination. It might not do everything a blackberry/kindle combo would allow you to do, but at least it's only one device. Whether or not the execution is flawless, the attempt is virtuous.[/QUOTE]

As said - it doesn't replace those combo's. To be a true all-in-one, it'd need to be
a) a phone
b) an eReader
c) a PDA
d) be able to go on line
e) able to use iPhone apps
f) have a good enough screen to watch movies on
g) an mp3 player
h) a laptop-replacement (okay, not a full-fledged game monster, obviously)
i) a gaming device (iPhone can sort-of-but-not-quite compete with the PSP or DS, but games are cheaper. A bigger version ought to be able to do at least as good or better)
j) a portable DVD/DivX player
k) have the battery power to manage all of that for a full day (Where's that portable nuclear reactor when you need it?)

Anyway, my point is, you'll still need, at the very, very least, a phone to go along with it. If you're still carrying 2 (at least) devices, what makes this one an indispensable part of my combo? For example, the smartphone (as epitomized by the iPhone) pretty much destroyed the PDA as a seperate device. It makes sense to carry an iPhone or Blackberry instead of a phone and a Palm or whatever. Heck, they even eliminate the need for a separate GPS if you wish. I find smartphones too expensive, but I can understand what they're for. The iPad doesn't seem to help bundle things together.

/Wall of Text crits you for 214 damage. Roll will save 24 or become dazed for 1d4 minutes :-P

This time, going by the various press releases and investor calls, they genuinely don't seem to know who their market is, and it kind of shows with the way they talk up the product. I haven't seen a single thing telling me, as an iPhone/Macbook user, why I would want something like this. I haven't seen a single thing telling users of other smartphones/e-readers/tablets why they should want this instead.
Because it's simple and pretty. Believe it or not, there's many people who buy apple's products mostly for the aesthetics (and because is, apparently, the devil in a suit)

Status
Not open for further replies.