[Music] it's kind of weird that Kanye West and Taylor Swift are probably my two favorite musical artists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say Kanye did that too, jus he did that 8 years ago.
He was definitely more of a -made- artist than self pushed.

Either way, when I say -mainstream- perhaps I should clarify and more precisely say -stuck on themselves/full of themselves- type of artist.

Necronic

Staff member
OH MY GOD GUYS DID YOU KNOW THAT THE ONLY WAY TO TELL HOW GOOD AN ARTIST IS IS BY LOOKING AT HOW MAINSTREAM HE IS?

Seriously the only people who care about that shit are people who are so insecure in their music tastes they can't respect the music on it's own merits, and have to come up with extra metrics that grant the music, and themselves, a bit more cred.

OH MY GOD GUYS DID YOU KNOW THAT THE ONLY WAY TO TELL HOW GOOD AN ARTIST IS IS BY LOOKING AT HOW MAINSTREAM HE IS?

Seriously the only people who care about that shit are people who are so insecure in their music tastes they can't respect the music on it's own merits, and have to come up with extra metrics that grant the music, and themselves, a bit more cred.
Yeah, sorry about that, I apologize and decided to correct my terminology.

Not quite sure where you got being insecure about music tastes, but there you go.

Necronic

Staff member
Its not the right wording, but if you don't really understand why you like a song, purely in terms of the music, you will resort to "meta" reasons to like it. Like, I really really dig a bunch of Brittney Spears stuff. Apparently I'm not supposed to, because she's "big industry" and has a giant production team behind her and she's not really musically talented etc etc.

But none of that affects how "I'm a Slave" sounds to me, how much I like the break beat rythms mixed with pop vocals

Meta arguments are for people who can't talk about the music as music. It's fair you don't like a lot of pop music because you dislike 4 on the floor. It's stupid to say you don't like pop music because they are "mainstream" or because 14 year old girls like it. All saying that says is that your opinions about music have nothing to do wih music, they have to do with other, invented stuff. And the only reason someone would do that is because they don't have any real opinions about actual music.

Its not the right wording, but if you don't really understand why you like a song, purely in terms of the music, you will resort to "meta" reasons to like it. Like, I really really dig a bunch of Brittney Spears stuff. Apparently I'm not supposed to, because she's "big industry" and has a giant production team behind her and she's not really musically talented etc etc.

But none of that affects how "I'm a Slave" sounds to me, how much I like the break beat rythms mixed with pop vocals

Meta arguments are for people who can't talk about the music as music. It's fair you don't like a lot of pop music because you dislike 4 on the floor. It's stupid to say you don't like pop music because they are "mainstream" or because 14 year old girls like it. All saying that says is that your opinions about music have nothing to do wih music, they have to do with other, invented stuff. And the only reason someone would do that is because they don't have any real opinions about actual music.
I agree, it's stupid to like music or dislike music because it's mainstream. Hence why I apologized and corrected myself.

The only thing that would be the crowning moment of awesome in all of this would be Beyonce tweeting @Kanye: "Imma happy for you all, and imma gonna let ya finish, but @tswift13 had the best comeback of all time"

I used to hate music because it was mainstream.... when I was an angsty teenager.

Then I grew up.

One thing that I don't get is how people place little to no emphasis on lyrics in a song. Maybe because I'm a writer myself, but to me lyrics are just as important, if not moreso, than the music itself.

Addendum: This isn't directed at Gilgamesh, just the idea in general that because something is mainstream, it sucks.

One thing that I don't get is how people place little to no emphasis on lyrics in a song. Maybe because I'm a writer myself, but to me lyrics are just as important, if not moreso, than the music itself.
Which the majority of Macklemore's music is about. Amazing lyrics, beautiful stories like the video I posted. I agree completely.

Addendum: This isn't directed at Gilgamesh, just the idea in general that because something is mainstream, it sucks.
I couldn't agree more. I'm reminded of Charlie's -reviews- of Avengers.

One thing that I don't get is how people place little to no emphasis on lyrics in a song.
I dunno, lyrics have never mattered to me. I'm a terrible karaoke participant because of this since I don't actually know the lyrics to any songs. The voice of the singer is just another musical instrument to me when I listen to music.

Big example. One of my favorite songs of all time is Evenflow by Pearl Jam. Probably because I can sing along to it.

OHHHHH EEEEEE BLEEEEEEEEEH JIMMA LIMMA BA BA BOODIBY BE DA YEE HAAAA. EEEEEEERRR YEEEAH.

I dunno, lyrics have never mattered to me. I'm a terrible karaoke participant because of this since I don't actually know the lyrics to any songs. The voice of the singer is just another musical instrument to me when I listen to music.

Big example. One of my favorite songs of all time is Evenflow by Pearl Jam. Probably because I can sing along to it.

OHHHHH EEEEEE BLEEEEEEEEEH JIMMA LIMMA BA BA BOODIBY BE DA YEE HAAAA. EEEEEEERRR YEEEAH.
I agree that unique vocals can make even the worst lyrics amazing (50 Cent comes to mind) but even still, solid lyrics PLUS a unique vocal can make a song legendary (David Bowie and most of his music as well as all of Amy Winehouse's early work).

Status
Not open for further replies.