Kindle Users!!! lend me your..... kindle? (edited)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/ ... 1210.shtml

This is interesting story. I knew this was going to happen sooner or later with "auto deletion" from the company side.

I can understand where the guy is coming from. After reading and making tons of notes, it would suck if it was deleted from his kindle. He did buy it from the Amazon store.

What do y'all think?

B

Batdan

Kindle Users!!! let me your..... kindle?

He didn't back up his notes, so it's his own fault that he lost them. That's why I copy my photos to cd to back them up in case something happens to the hard disk.

C

Chibibar

true, but kindle did delete his book from his kindle. I remember reading the Apple thread about redownloading and one segment mention on kindle deleting the books but allow 3 downloads (redownload I guess) but in this case, the book was remove totally.

Sounds like the notes are still there, but they don't have a book to reference anymore. Kinda like highlighting stuff in a book and putting sticky notes in with thoughts on the passages highlighted. Take the book away and leave the sticky notes and they don't really make sense.

Yeah, until I have complete control over a product like this Amazon can keep it.

C

Chibibar

rac3r_x said:
Yeah, until I have complete control over a product like this Amazon can keep it.
depending on how the lawsuit turn out....... that might change (one of the snippet of the article states challenge the company's right to delete stuff you BOUGHT on your kindle)

J

JCM

This.

Heck I dont want any sob deleting something I bought and am reading, without telling me, nor asking my permission.

[quote=''Article"]
Gawronski told The Associated Press he was assigned "1984" for an advanced placement course in which students must turn in "reflections" on each 100 pages of text when they return from summer break, then take a test. He was a quarter to halfway through the book when it disappeared from his Kindle.

His notes on the book were "rendered useless because they no longer referenced the relevant parts of the book," according to the lawsuit.[/quote]

...what? Since when does removing a book from a bookcase render referencing notes useless? Hello, pagenumbers/citations?

Also, are all libraries in the USA closed or what?

J

JCM

Wahad said:
Gawronski told The Associated Press he was assigned "1984" for an advanced placement course in which students must turn in "reflections" on each 100 pages of text when they return from summer break, then take a test. He was a quarter to halfway through the book when it disappeared from his Kindle.

His notes on the book were "rendered useless because they no longer referenced the relevant parts of the book," according to the lawsuit....
what? Since when does removing a book from a bookcase render referencing notes useless? Hello, pagenumbers/citations?
Since when are people that naive to assume that a book printed in countless editions by countless publishers will have the same page count, and every word exactly in the same place as in another edition, to make the usage of pagenumbers/citations?

Especially when its a student with a deadline who got ripped off by Amazon?
Also, are all libraries in the USA closed or what?
Also, are people so dumb to blame a student for buying a book through Amazon, and now expect him to now re-do all the references to fit the version at the local library, and waste his time, because of Amazon?

Really, have the Amazon apologists run out of excuses that bad that now the student is at fault and every edition of a classic book has exactly the same layout?

C

chakz

Does anybody else find the books which were deleted ironic?

I'm not blaming him for buying an Amazon book, but really, it seemed like a stupid reason to sue when libraries easily have a spare edition available. Furthermore, if it was an assignment, wouldn't other students have the book as well?

I'll give you the pagenumbers - that was my mistake. But even if a bunch of words aren't in the same order, it really doesn't seem that much of a problem if you have, say, quoted a sentence or two. It's not like another edition will be that radically changed unless it's a reinterpretation by a different author.

Again, I'm not defending Amazon here - I think it's stupid they went ahead and deleted all those books without notice - but it seems too little a problem for me to sue over.

chakz said:
Does anybody else find the books which were deleted ironic?
No, I'm sure you're the first and only.

-- Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:26 pm --

Wahad, it's the US. Suing is the only way :3

Furthermore, I'm guessing this is probably the easiest way to get them to give up their ability to delete user's purchased stuff.

There is really no case here. Yes, it is terrible that Amazon had to cover their ass by erasing a book that they did not realize at the time was an illegal copy. It is inconvenient to start a book over. Amazon may have wasted two to three hours of this kids time, since the kid did not finish but 1/4 of the story. What is 2-3 hours of a 17 year old's time worth? $15.

There is no big deal here. The book was ill gotten gains, and all the users received full refunds.

I've said it before, technically, I don't find much fault in what Amazon did. They had to remove pirated copies from their service. They did so, and reimbursed the customers for their money.

The only dick move on their part was not informing people ahead of time. If they could refund the money, they obviously could have sent out an e-mail saying that they are discontinuing the edition and have to recall it due to the fact that it was a pirated copy.

C

chakz

On a more relevent note, its interesting that with all the other devices out there which rely on downloadable content (Iphone, psp, etc.) Its interesting that amazon was the first to pull this kind of crap(unless I'm mistaken). I could see sony trying something like this, but I guess its probably easier with books.

C

Chibibar

I don't think actual case of Amazon mess with this kid's assignment (it is part of evidence I'm guessing) I'm thinking the lawyer is going (I hope) two part on this.

1. Amazon should send out notification before deleting books from user's kindle since all of them legitimently purchase them (regardless if Amazon got it illegally)
2. Hopefully prevent Amazon from actually deleting item FROM user's kindle for any reason. I personally believe that all deleting should be user's choice not Amazon. It would be like iTunes start deleting your music from your HDD and iPods cause the original songwriter pulled their record off iTunes but you already purchase it, download it, and back it up (per our discussion from other thread)

-- Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:54 pm --

I don't think actual case of Amazon mess with this kid's assignment (it is part of evidence I'm guessing) I'm thinking the lawyer is going (I hope) two part on this.

1. Amazon should send out notification before deleting books from user's kindle since all of them legitimently purchase them (regardless if Amazon got it illegally)
2. Hopefully prevent Amazon from actually deleting item FROM user's kindle for any reason. I personally believe that all deleting should be user's choice not Amazon. It would be like iTunes start deleting your music from your HDD and iPods cause the original songwriter pulled their record off iTunes but you already purchase it, download it, and back it up (per our discussion from other thread)

J

JCM

sixpackshaker said:
There is really no case here. Yes, it is terrible that Amazon had to cover their ass by erasing a book that they did not realize at the time was an illegal copy. It is inconvenient to start a book over. Amazon may have wasted two to three hours of this kids time, since the kid did not finish but 1/4 of the story. What is 2-3 hours of a 17 year old's time worth? $15.

There is no big deal here. The book was ill gotten gains, and all the users received full refunds.
Thats where I must disagree, lets not forget that it was removed without notice.

Its akin to selling you a car, and then take it back silently at night, what the hell, you got a refund, right, but cant they at least INFORM you?
While number 2 might give a legal headache, amen on number 1.

Nobody is compaining it deeted the book, but they deleted it WITHOUT informing the user.
Again, I'm not defending Amazon here - I think it's stupid they went ahead and deleted all those books without notice - but it seems too little a problem for me to sue over.
This and this. I also think its stupid

JCM said:
Its akin to selling you a car, and then take it back silently at night, what the *, you got a refund, right, but cant they at least INFORM you?
It's akin to buying a stolen car and then QQing when the police show up to confiscate it. Amazon fucked up, they apologized and issued refunds. Is another topic about this really necessary?

HowDroll said:
JCM said:
Its akin to selling you a car, and then take it back silently at night, what the *, you got a refund, right, but cant they at least INFORM you?
It's akin to buying a stolen car and then QQing when the police show up to confiscate it. Amazon fucked up, they apologized and issued refunds. Is another topic about this really necessary?
Amazon != police force

The police would show up, not the car dealership people. And they wouldn't bust open your garage to take it, but inform you and then make you hand it over. Big big differences all around.

HowDroll said:
Is another topic about this really necessary?
I had almost started to forget how unbelievably entitled, litigious, and money-grubbing are the citizens of this country, so that was a good reminder.

Otherwise........

sixpackshaker said:
It's closer to a manufacturer in China making duplicate iPhones (exact duplicates, software, hardware, the whole nine yards) and sneaking them into the US and selling them.

Apple has the right to seize all UNSOLD inventory, and it has the right to sue the manufacturer, shipper, seller, etc.

But, in the US, they DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO RECOVER SOLD iPhones, illegitimate though they may be, from consumers who purchased them. They have the right to deny them service, warranty, etc, and they could offer a 'trade in' program and charge the costs to the original infringer, but if someone doesn't want to give up their fake iPhone, they are under no legal obligation to do so, and Apple does not have the right to force them to do so.

It's NOT like the police recovering stolen and sold property - there is no original owner that wants the stolen property back. These are fakes, duplicates, etc, but they fall under a completely different law than 'stolen' property - they are infringing products, and follow the rules of copyright (and in the case of iPhone patent, trademark) law.

The same thing happened each time a new Harry Potter book came out. It was copied and resold cheaply. They can recover unsold inventory, get the money from the people who originally sold the bad merchandise, but they can't search the receipts and force each person that bought one to give it up.

So yes, this is a BIG problem, and Amazon was not only stupid, but they did the wrong thing.

However, depending on their user terms of service, licensing, etc, they may have been within their rights to do so, although certain rights of US citizens cannot be taken away even if they sign a form giving them up.

This case will set the stage for future cases, and it's a big deal because the world is becoming increasingly networked. It has very wide ranging implications, from GPS navigation systems to pacemakers, cell phones to security systems.

-Adam

L

Lally

Is there any chance this kid is doing this not for his own gains, but to set a legal precedent on this sort of case? Or is he just a whiny, litigious douchebag? I honestly can't tell.

It's so easy to just say lawsuits are for silly people and we can trust companies when they say they won't fuck us.

Cat said:
It's so easy to just say lawsuits are for silly people and we can trust companies when they say they won't fuck us.
You're right. Let's talk about this specific lawsuit and this specific incident instead, shall we?

That's crazy talk! We should extrapolate this event to its extremes on both sides, employ slippery slope, invoke add hominahominahominamin, etc.

Otherwise it's just another boring discussion.

-Adam

V

Viggs

Lally said:
Is there any chance this kid is doing this not for his own gains, but to set a legal precedent on this sort of case? Or is he just a whiny, litigious douchebag? I honestly can't tell.
Would his motivations make any difference?

stienman said:
That's crazy talk! We should extrapolate this event to its extremes on both sides, employ slippery slope, invoke add hominahominahominamin, etc.
To be fair I did generalize about Americans up there, but that was exaggeration for effect. This particular case does seem idiotic; I'm sure some drooling ambulance chaser decided to convince the kid that he's an important example or some such crap.

L

Lally

Viggs said:
Lally said:
Would his motivations make any difference?
In what sense? Legally, which I guess is what you're getting at, of course not. In determining whether he's a douchebag, which is what I was asking? Yeah, motivation's important.

L

LordRavage

I bet the kid dowloaded illegal music and movies. Check his hard drive! Nobody messes with the great and powerful Amazon.com. Nobody.

:angry:

J

JCM

Denbrought said:
HowDroll said:
JCM said:
Amazon != police force

The police would show up, not the car dealership people. And they wouldn't bust open your garage to take it, but inform you and then make you hand it over. Big big differences all around.
Yep.

But it seems that Amazon lovers are rather blind and think someone taking your shit without telling you is correct, so who are we to change their minds?

JCM said:
Denbrought said:
HowDroll said:
JCM said:
It's akin to buying a stolen car and then QQing when the police show up to confiscate it. Amazon smurfed up, they apologized and issued refunds. Is another topic about this really necessary?
Amazon != police force

Yep.

But it seems that Amazon lovers are rather blind and think someone taking your poop without telling you is correct, so who are we to change their minds?
It is in their EULA that they can do this. So, the whole car reposession metaphor is false to begin with.

Was it a smart move on Amazon's part? No

Was it kind of assholish on their part to do this with out informing people first? You bet your ass.

Was it within their rights as a company? Yup, it certainly was.

Again, I maintain that while it was incredibly stupid for them to do it without giving notice to the customers first, the fact that they did refund the money to the customers does show at least some goodwill on the part of the company. I still see nothing malicious in what they did.

J

JCM

Bowielee said:
JCM said:
Denbrought said:
HowDroll said:
It's akin to buying a stolen car and then QQing when the police show up to confiscate it. Amazon smurfed up, they apologized and issued refunds. Is another topic about this really necessary?
Amazon != police force

Yep.

But it seems that Amazon lovers are rather blind and think someone taking your poop without telling you is correct, so who are we to change their minds?
It is in their EULA that they can do this. So, the whole car reposession metaphor is false to begin with.
Really? How do you know there inst a car repossion with such a dickish policy? Oh wait, thts because people who buy cars wont put with with such blatant abuse consumers rights.

So you got a point there.
Bowielee said:
Was it a smart move on Amazon's part? No

Was it kind of assholish on their part to do this with out informing people first? You bet your ass.

Was it within their rights as a company? Yup, it certainly was.

Again, I maintain that while it was incredibly stupid for them to do it without giving notice to the customers first, the fact that they did refund the money to the customers does show at least some goodwill on the part of the company. I still see nothing malicious in what they did.
This is exactly why companies will get away with more and more, with idiots who think theres nothing wrong with a company deleting stuff that you bought from your computer/Kindle.
They apologized.
Because idiots have short memories, it has done this more than once.

But hey, since you are sucking up and saying its god that they can delete stuff at will from your hardware, like the time they left Blind users who bought speech-enabled books only to have the speech function deleted, its not me who is bending over, but you, renting books on the Kindle, as they are never yours.

Hurray for the day when sheep let companies turn "buy a book" to "rent a book, but we can take it back anytime".

Again, my question is this. What exactly did the people this was effected lose? Amazon has refunded them the purchase price for the books, so they can very easily buy the book again in a legal format.

Status
Not open for further replies.