Kindle Users!!! lend me your..... kindle? (edited)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JCM

Kindle Users!!! let me your..... kindle?

Oh, running away from the blind users left with no text-to-speech now, are we? Guess its better to make a stupid rhetorical question, than defend Amazon. Of course they lost nothing, after all, if I fuck your ass, or record you in the bathroom, you havent lost anything. :hump:

On your EULA BS, more bullshit. From Boing Boing, Amazon isnt pretty good at telling what you can do, and what they can do-
http://boingboing.net/2009/07/23/jeff-bezoss-kindle-a.html
Amazon won't even tell publishers, writers, or readers what kinds of mischief the Kindle can do -- in the months since its release, we've learned that Amazon will shut off your Kindle account for returning physical purchases if it doesn't think you're sincere; we've learned that Amazon can remotely delete files from your Kindle; we've learned that Amazon has a secret deal with some publishers to limit the number of times you can download Kindle books; we've learned that Amazon can selectively switch off features on books after you buy them, such as the text-to-speech feature.

Further, Amazon won't say what else is lurking in the Kindle. Specifically, they won't say:
* Whether the Kindle EULA or other terms forbid moving Kindle's \"DRM-free\" books to competing devices
* Whether there is a patent or other encumbrance that would make it illegal to build a competing device that can read or convert the \"DRM-free\" files
* What after-purchase control Amazon can exercise on \"DRM-free\" files: can they be remotely deleted? Can they have features revoked?
This is basic stuff: if you're going to sell a product, you should tell the purchaser what she's getting. It's not a radical proposition, and the fact that Amazon, with its stellar, customer-oriented real-goods business won't disclose these basic facts shocks me silly.
So BowieLee, again, while youre for being spineless, some of us do consider our own rights, my opinion is akin to that of David Pogue at the New York Times
"Already, we've learned that [e-books] are not really like books," he writes, "in that once we're finished reading them, we can't resell or even donate them. But now we learn that all sales may not even be final."

But since your only defense is a rhetorical question, please, do answer me if I rape your arse or record you in the shower, what will you lose?

OK, I'm done. JCM's back to ad hominem personal attacks.

Equating this to rape is both in poor taste and terrible argument.

J

JCM

You were out the second you ran away from-
-talking from Amazon deleting text-to-speech and leaving blind users fucked
-lying about their EULA, which does not clearly state what Amazon can do
-explaining how in any way is taking away something you bought any good?

Ad-homins? I just made a rethorical question.

Bowielee said:
Again, my question is this. What exactly did the people this was effected lose? Amazon has refunded them the purchase price for the books, so they can very easily buy the book again in a legal format.
The way I see this, amazon reached into their bag and took their books. Allowing this practice will encourage other companies to do even more to restrict and control the consumer.

JCM said:
-talking from Amazon deleting text-to-speech and leaving blind users smurfed

A few points. I've said nothing about the text to speech thing. I have no idea where you're getting that from. As usual you're reading things into my post that were never there to begin with.

Point 2 I don't own a kindle, and have only purchased only a few things from amazon, so I have no vested interest in defending them as a company. I'm just being a rational human being who doesn't have a knee jerk reaction to everyting.

And again, they didn't take away anything. They returned the purchase price of the book so the customer LOST NOTHING.

But you go ahead and be a douchnozzle for no other reason that you can't form a logical response and have to resort to acting like a monkey throwing feces at the zoo.

J

JCM

Bowielee said:
JCM said:
-talking from Amazon deleting text-to-speech and leaving blind users smurfed

A few points. I've said nothing about the text to speech thing. I have no idea where you're getting that from.
You said it was okay to delete books, so it must be ok to delete speech as well, right? Maybe if you'd stop lying, making up BS "its in their EULA" and using stupid rhetorical questions, abuse of consumer rights IS abuse of consumer's right.

A shitty question to avoid the issue begets a shitty question because if I fuck you in the arse, tape you in the shower, you havent lost anything, but it seems you are implying its okay to do so.

Feel free to continue playing the victim, after all if you must resort to bullshitting about their EULA and running away to stupid rethorical questions, theres not much an Amazon lover can do. Again, how can any company be allowed to-
-delete functions at will, leaving blind users without text-to-speech?
-invade your privacy, take back your book from your bookshelf (thats what their marketing says, your book, your bookshelf)?
-not tell you they are doing so?
-turn off Kindles that have bought more than a certain number of ebooks (which is known only to them)?
-oh, and if I tape you showering, what do you lose? Nothing! So it must be ok!

But do feel free to play victim, after all its easier to cry Wolf than it is to say "I was wrong and I dont know squat about the EULA"
Cat said:
The way I see this, amazon reached into their bag and took their books. Allowing this practice will encourage other companies to do even more to restrict and control the consumer.
Pretty much this.
BowieLee said:
And again, they didn't take away anything. They returned the purchase price of the book so the customer LOST NOTHING.
:facepalm:

They took away the book. According to their store marketing, "your book", from "your bookshelf", without your permission. They have also taken away your bookshekf (turning off forcibly Kindles). They have also taken away that kindly old man that used to read the books to the blind (the text-too-speech function), but hey, if I raped you, or taped you showering, you wouldnt lose anything, so if I started taking back everything you bought, without your permission, it would be ok, right BowieLee?

My apologies, but Amazon has much dickery under its belt, all because some, like you, are okay with companies ignoring consumers rights.

It sells books saying its "your book" for "your bookshelf". Then it uses a vague EULA to take away stuff, remove functions, turn off Kindles under certain strange limits thats never told, and why? Because some people are fine with anything done to them, as long as they dont lose money.

Now excuse me, I'll be installing cameras in people's showers, since they lose nothing, it must be ok.

C

Chibibar

Bowielee said:
Again, my question is this. What exactly did the people this was effected lose? Amazon has refunded them the purchase price for the books, so they can very easily buy the book again in a legal format.
I think it sets precedent toward other company.

The world is pretty much network it now. We have our iPhone, iPods, GPS, wireless devices and slew of information at our finger tip. So... the big question would be would it be alright for any services to go into YOUR devices and delete stuff just cause?

Couple of example in the future.

1. DVR - this is a VERY powerful tool. I use it a lot and love it. I set my unit to record tons of shows, but what if the provider signs a contract with a show that do NOT allow recording (DVR wise) and have to set auto delete on YOUR DVR. Would they have to do a refund? You did get it from a service, but if there is a change in contract and slip it in..... corporation might do that to get more people to VIEW commercials and time slot. What if the cable company give credit for the item deleted?

2. Apple - If you purchase tons of music legally BUT the artist decides to drop contract with Apple and don't want to sell their music vis iTunes anymore, does Apple have the right to delete ALL related music to that artist? what if they refund you the cost for each music 99cent per song?

3. Worst case scenario - what if a book was "banned" from a reading list. Can the provider (in this case Amazon) delete a legal book obtain legally, purchase legally but was on the "reading ban" list. Can they delete that? and just refund you the money? What if you didn't finish the book? what if a hard copy is hard to obtain?

I think this case is setting future legal limits of what a corporation can do and cannot do electronically to stuff that YOU legally own and purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.