Knives!

I carry a knife on me or in my vehicle

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always carried a knife, and never thought about it. Growing up on a horse farm, you just need a knife several times throughout the day.

Now I carry small multitools, but they both have knives.

So when I hear that the UK has knife bans, I'm thinking, "Glad I live in the US..." Until, of course, I poke around and see that most states have very similar bans.

About the only difference is that the bans in the US are "carrying with intent" anything larger than 3", while the bans in the UK are "carrying at all" anything larger than 3". The UK is still more strict in many ways (locking blades, and certain types of knives under 3" are restricted, where only a few types of knives are restricted in the US).

Do you carry a knife? More than one? Longer than 3"?

What's interesting is that many state laws permit one to open carry a gun without a permit, but you can't carry a large knife (open or not) at all, unless you are doing so for a reasonable purpose (going hunting, carrying your chef's knives, etc).

-Adam

GasBandit

Staff member
Even when I don't have my leatherman, I have a mini swiss army knife on my keychain. Sometimes you just gotta cut [strike:1rhgwimq]folks[/strike:1rhgwimq] stuff.

I carry a box cutter a lot of the time, but mostly just while I'm working. My workplace is FULL of knives and other cutting tools.

I have a box knife within arms reach at almost anytime while I am at work. Other than that I don't tend to carry any knives around.

hylian said:
I have a box knife within arms reach at almost anytime while I am at work. Other than that I don't tend to carry any knives around.
After reading this, I feel I should add that I have a dull machete leaning against the end of my desk. It is within arms reach of me right now.

Gusto said:
hylian said:
After reading this, I feel I should add that I have a dull machete leaning against the end of my desk. It is within arms reach of me right now.

-Adam

B

Batdan

My grandfather taught me to carry around a pocket knife. He always said you never know when you'll have to open a box, cut a piece of rope, kill a snake, whittle a stick, etc. So I follow that advice and carry around a knife wherever I go except for theme parks, airports, and other secure areas where sharp objects will be confiscated by security.

P

Philosopher B.

No knives here. Never really thought about it before.

No knife, I can't stand having stuff in my pockets and I don't like using one of those belt holsters. I do keep a saw in the drivers side door pocket of my truck though. One of these.

I do keep a Gerber multitool with me if I think I'll need it.

B

Batdan

Shakey said:
No knife, I can't stand having stuff in my pockets
You'd hate me then. I wear cargo pants at work and inevitably fill the pockets with various tools and bits before the day is over.

Batdan said:
Shakey said:
No knife, I can't stand having stuff in my pockets
You'd hate me then. I wear cargo pants at work and inevitably fill the pockets with various tools and bits before the day is over.
I'd only hate you if you started stuffing all that crap in my pockets.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gusto said:
hylian said:
Oh, well, heck.. I guess I should add that at HOME I also have a machete and a small collection of stainless steel replica swords...

stienman said:
What's interesting is that many state laws permit one to open carry a gun without a permit, but you can't carry a large knife (open or not) at all, unless you are doing so for a reasonable purpose (going hunting, carrying your chef's knives, etc).
I think it's fascinating that the 2nd Amendment doesn't specify the exact type of arms that people are entitled to keep, but the vast majority of lawmakers (and most people) in the US believe that the amendment only refers to firearms.

Back when I lived in the UK, I had some Sikh friends who were required to carry blades on them due to their religion. I've always wondered how they dealt with this knife ban.

GasBandit

Staff member
Tress said:
stienman said:
I think it's fascinating that the 2nd Amendment doesn't specify the exact type of arms to which people are entitled to keep, but the vast majority of lawmakers (and most people) in the US believe that the amendment only refers to firearms.
That's because the intention of the second amendment was to ensure that the private citizenry would be in possession of the same (infantry) weapons of war that the military had (so as to alleviate oppression by military force as an option for paths to domestic tyranny), and even by that time in history, nobody fought wars with swords and knives any more.

figmentPez

Staff member
For a while I always had a multitool on my belt whenever I went out of the house. The only reason I stopped wearing it on my belt all the time is that it gets in the way at my chiropractor appointments, so I leave it off on those days.

I had numerous people ask me why I carry it around. It usually isn't long before something comes up where I have reason to pull it out of it's holster and say "This is why I carry it."

GasBandit said:
Tress said:
stienman said:
I think it's fascinating that the 2nd Amendment doesn't specify the exact type of arms to which people are entitled to keep, but the vast majority of lawmakers (and most people) in the US believe that the amendment only refers to firearms.
That's because the intention of the second amendment was to ensure that the private citizenry would be in possession of the same (infantry) weapons of war that the military had (so as to alleviate oppression by military force as an option for paths to domestic tyranny), and even by that time in history, nobody fought wars with swords and knives any more.
I understand the motivation behind it, but the language is still vague. I believe it was vague on purpose because the framers of the Constituion didn't want to narrow the definition of the rights. Therefore, I think someone could make a strong legal argument that knives are equally protected and should be subject to the same laws and rules as firearms (and not more than firearms).

Admittedly this is all speculation. I'm certainly not a lawyer.

L

Lally

I voted "never" and "always >3 inches" because I never carry anything myself (although I used to carry a box cutter frequently in my purse because I used it for work a lot and they managed to disappear... especially the sharp ones), but my boyfriend carries a leatherman on his person and a knife in his car (that my dad gave him, the king of knives :facepalm: )

I used to always have a little multitool and 2" knife on my keychain, till the first time I had to fly post-9/11.

GasBandit

Staff member
Tress said:
GasBandit said:
Tress said:
stienman said:
I understand the motivation behind it, but the language is still vague. I believe it was vague on purpose because the framers of the Constituion didn't want to narrow the definition of the rights. Therefore, I think someone could make a strong legal argument that knives are equally protected and should be subject to the same laws and rules as firearms (and not more than firearms).

Admittedly this is all speculation. I'm certainly not a lawyer.
I believe you to be intellectually correct, but the problem is that one would be making that argument against increasingly-drunk-on-power government entities who have, even in their slighly less drunk past, never been much on letting constitutional rights get in the way of their own power when they thought it could be justified as being for the good of the people.

I carry a 3" may be smaller, you know how well we men measure in inches...

It is a thin, metal framed lockblade, with a belt clip. I keep it clipped to the inside of my pants pocket. I basically use it as a box cutter. But I keep it wicked sharp.

T

The Mike

I carry a multitool with my climbing gear which is always in my trunk, a machete on the back seat of my car and a small swiss army usb/keychain.

You never know when you might need either one of them, specially the machete because I camp a lot

North_Ranger

Staff member
I never carry a knife on my person in the city, but when I'm in the woods, camping or otherwise involved in something outdoorsy (which is once in a full moon), I carry both a Swiss army knife - and my service knife when I was doing my six months in the Defence Forces.

And then I have my two-handed broadsword...

bhamv2 said:
Back when I lived in the UK, I had some Sikh friends who were required to carry blades on them due to their religion. I've always wondered how they dealt with this knife ban.
The UK laws specifically permit this, and another few exceptions:
Examples of bona fide reasons which have been accepted include: a knife required for ones trade (e.g. a chefs knife), as part of a national costume (e.g. a sgian dubh), or for religious reasons (e.g. a Sikh Kirpan).
From http://www.goxplore.net/guides/Knife_law_%28UK%29

-Adam

M

meyoumeyou

Part of the time:

____________________________________________________________________________________________

ALL the time:

W

Wasabi Poptart

I don't carry a knife in my purse or in my car. I used to keep scissors in my glove box. In my house, however, we have quite a few knives including ones used for cooking/eating to some crazy switchblade things my husband got while one deployment to a couple of my dad's pocket knives that he left here so he wouldn't have them confiscated by airport security.

Carried a pocket knife of some form or another for over thirty years. Carried a Leatherman multitool for a while but found it to be useless for my applications. Always have a box cutter in my shirt pocket at work, but I dislike them. Have multiple large knives to choose from for going into the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.