Krisken's art stuff, previously all 40k miniatures

I'll have to keep an eye on it, but even at 'much cheaper', I dunno if I can afford 'em. Remember, Tzeentch and Khorne are 144 pounds ($240), Nurgle is 107 pounds ($176), and Slaanesh is 90 pounds ($148). That's a lot of dough for me, even if it is half that!

Oooh, pretty!

This is what the vehicle looks like right now...

IMG_0710.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG

I'll have a blogpost on it probably Thursday/Friday. It's already written, but I want to ensure I have time to get content ready for the next post.

Ok, this post over at the 11th Company forums has me really, really angry.

Just some info. I've been trying to convince this particular store manager to change some rules, readjust things, and I think this conversation convinced him to consider it.

Had a long, interesting convo with my GW rep today. It was pretty insightful.

Here are some notes, in no particular order...

-GW is not concerning themselves with game balance or competitive play in any respect.

-GW is totally fine with TOs tweaking the rules to create a more balanced game in / for tournament settings. [Lots of talk about how GW tried the tournament scene and how independent TOs do a much, much better job. They'd rather let the TOs run events and tweak the rules to create game balance in a tournament / competitive setting.]

-Supplements aren't designed with game balance in mind. They are designed with fun / cool in mind. [He sighted FoB and what they did with the Escalation rules many, many times over the ~hour long convo.]

-Expect to see more movement towards giving players the opportunity to use the models they own in games of 40k.

-GW has no PR department. There will be no official announcement about any of this stuff or any article in WD. They'd like people like me to communicate this sort of thing and "steer" the community in whatever direction we'd like based on it.

-While the stock did drop 25% overnight, based on that report, he went on at length about how GW is a dividend company and is still going to be paying out it's dividends. Something about how 4 people own almost all of GW (stock), how profits on the whole are down (duh) but profit per dollar spent is way up (also duh). Blah Blah, this means little.

-Weekly releases, which most of us knew about.

-Weekly WD starting in Feb.

-Monthly 230+ page magazine.

-The people that write the rules often don't remember what they write. [Spoke about convos he's had or been involved in with writers or stories he's heard. Mentioned one instance of a guy asking one of the writers about a rule he wrote and the writer responded with something like, "yeah, that sounds cool. why don't you guys play it that way from now on."]

-Costs increase. They are not targeting everyone. They "are not going to open a GW store in Compton."

-They recognize they have priced new or potential players out of their games and plan to "address it."

-The term "gray beards" was used to compare GW gamers to model train guys. An older, wealthier, group that doesn't see a ton of new people entering the hobby.

-They view the ~$200 start up cost as something that will provide the average person with a month's worth of "entertainment," comparable to roughly 3 video games.

-The rep dislikes the fact that people that are not qualified to write articles on GWs financial situation, policies, or direction often write articles on the internet that people take as gospel.

-They want to sell models based on coolness factor, not on price tag. Cited an example where they reduced the price of WHFB cavalry models to 25 bucks (from 45) and there was absolutely no change in volume. (which, to be fair, IS a valid point. when it comes to lots of model miniatures, if people want it, they're going to buy it. at some point everyone will begin to consider price, but that number is different from person to person.)

There might be some more, but it's a holiday and I'm swamped in here.

EDIT:

-Mentioned how the Tau and Eldar books were mistakes in that they elevated expectations for the remaining 6th ed books. Said not to expect all (any) books to be quite on that level going forward. Mentioned how it's probably nice for "us" that the books were so strong. [brought up after i mentioned the tyranid book, escalation, dataslates.]
I'm in awe of how stupid this all is. My response was

Wow. All I can say is good luck, GW. I'm not spending another penny on rules until this policy changes. Since that's all they've sold me in the last year anyways, I guess I'm effectively done giving money to Games Workshop for the foreseeable future.
Just unbelievable how ridiculous this position is. Especially with so many fantastic board games already out there. I'm going to start looking at other two player games where I can get my modeling on.

They want to sell models based on coolness factor, not on price tag. Cited an example where they reduced the price of WHFB cavalry models to 25 bucks (from 45) and there was absolutely no change in volume. (which, to be fair, IS a valid point. when it comes to lots of model miniatures, if people want it, they're going to buy it. at some point everyone will begin to consider price, but that number is different from person to person.)
I fucking hate this being trotted out every time price is brought up.

We reduced the price of a single unit in an incredibly unpopular army, in a relatively unpopular game, and the volume of sales didn't increase!

NO FUCKING SHIT. When I buy Warhammer figures, I sure like buying 30 of a single unit because it's cheaper. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS. Reduce the price of the WHOLE FUCKING ARMY YOU GOD DAMN MORONS and see if that changes anything.

Progress so far on the bikes. Still a lot I want to do for these, such as fill gaps for the rear wing pieces, add engines, and add gems to the vehicle.
IMG_0730.JPG

Necronic

Staff member
that's as good an argument to switch to Warmachine as I have read in a while (referring to the GW post above.)

I'm exploring X-Wing right now and I'm trying to convince friends to play that instead of games like 40k or even Warmachine. Fantasy Flight cares about balance in their games, and that's a huge issue for me.

Ok, begun pimping out my new love, X-Wing.

IMG_0741.JPG

One square of my 3' x 3' board. The other 8 are done but in the garage drying. Currently adding felt to the bottom of the tiles so the game board doesn't scratch any other surfaces. I'm also planning on picking up some thin foam to put between the layers. I want the board to fit nicely and not get scratched up.

Wrote a thingie on my blog Scratchbuilt 40k. Leave a comment if you want. I'd love to hear other thoughts on the state of the game and whether I should keep going or just start a new blog which isn't so focused on just scratch building.

Wrote a thingie on my blog Scratchbuilt 40k. Leave a comment if you want. I'd love to hear other thoughts on the state of the game and whether I should keep going or just start a new blog which isn't so focused on just scratch building.
Until GW get's it's collective head out of it's ass, I don't see how you can keep playing.

Until GW get's it's collective head out of it's ass, I don't see how you can keep playing.
You make a good point. One comment on my blog post suggested I take a break and hopefully I'll come back when/if the game improves. But for now, yeah, I think I have to put the game to the side. Sadly that means the blog will be put to the side as well.

I'm thinking of starting a new blog to talk about board games and the other stuff I'm doing, not so focused. More of a open format than being so specific like Scratchbuilt 40k was.

Yeah, the Firespray is super cool. I'm looking forward to getting a Falcon still. Someday :D

Just got my B-Wing, A-Wing, Tie Bomber, and a Tie Interceptor.

Battle Report of my X-Wing game on my blog, What To Play (formerly Scratchbuilt 40k)

Hello all, welcome back to What To Play! This weekend I was able play a second game of X-Wing, and wow was it a close one!

Our game consisted of 150 points a side on a 3' x 3' board, 4 players each controlling 75 points. On looking back, I think the game is a little tight in those quarters.

The beginning of the game started with the Rebellion running Han Solo and a B-Wing on the upper left flank while the upper right had Wedge and Luke, each sporting Proton Torpedo's while Luke had R2-D2 (seriously, R2 is the best upgrade in the game, hands down).

The Imperials started with 5 Tie Fighters in a formation in the bottom left, Darth Vader, a Tie Bomber, and one of the new Imperial Aces on the bottom right. The Tie Fighters shot forward to confront the Falcon and the Advanced/Bomber/Interceptor all shot in to assist. The Falcon needed to turn to attempt to get away from the nightmare of the Tie's, but quickly fell to their might.

Meanwhile, the B-Wing flew forward doing damage to the Interceptor and to Darth Vader. At this point the Falcon was down to 1 hull point, and things were looking pretty grim for the Rebellion.

The Ties flew forward and ended up crashing into the Tie Bomber, causing a mass pile up. Wedge and Luke did their best to try to take down Vader, but he managed to escape their destruction.

The Tie Bomber flew off the board, getting sucked into the void of space, while the Ties finished off the Falcon and prepared to make their way to the three remaining ships. The B-Wing flew in front of Wedge, causing him to become fatigued when he crashed into him. However, it was at this point the Ties started to take some damage. Wedge took some hits and was left with no shields by this point as well.

It was at this point Darth Vader took a critical hit and went down, taken out by Luke Skywalker (which brought me much amusement!). Things were still looking grim, however, as there were still 4 Ties and the Interceptor doing their best to destroy the B-Wing. Eventually, the B-Wing took too much damage and was removed from the battle.

I'm a little fuzzy on how the Interceptor died, but eventually the battle looked like this.

The Tie Fighters kept dishing out hits, but R2-D2 kept giving him his shields back. Still, he had taken 1 hull damage and there was a real possibility the Ties could come back and shoot him down. The Tie at the bottom of the board, however, was destined to fly off into the void, never to be seen again. This left Luke in a much better position than I had believed possible.

Lots of reversals and shots later, Luke managed to shoot the last two Tie Fighters in a stunning upset. By all accounts the Imperials had the game, but due to a couple bad maneuvers (choosing the wrong direction) and some asteroid hits (the funniest being Darth Vader going over an asteroid with a loop de loop, only to fly over the same asteroid) and some hot dice to make up for my really cold dice in the beginning, the Rebellion managed a win.

Well, that's my account of the events, as best as I can remember them. Hopefully you enjoyed this battle report and if so I'd love to hear some feedback on changes I could make in the future. I had a lot of fun playing and the outcome surprised me as much as anyone.

Till next time, happy gaming!
It's my first battle report, so let me know what you think. Suggestions are certainly welcome!

Zappit

Staff member
So it seems GW is giving up on 6th Edition. 7th is confirmed for later this year, with a starter kit featuring Blood Angels vs. Orcs.

Also, players will be able to field Unbound armies, which do not have to follow the Force Organization Chart. Armies that do use the FOC, now known as battle-hardened, will receive bonuses that Unbound armies do not.

Chaos just got interesting...or Drakey.

It's crazy. I've been following what they plan to do a bit and it seems a bit insane. Psychic powers will get their own phase and operate more like Fantasy spells. Armies will be able to summon Daemons.

I'll be honest, I don't have a lot of faith in whatever GW puts out. The last two years have been a nightmare, and while the game itself started out fine once they started making new codex the whole thing went to shit.

And yeah, an all Heldrake army would be crazy.

Thanks Mathias, that means a lot to me! I've been in a bit of a slump painting-wise (stupid GW making the game suck) but I hope to do more this summer.

So it seems GW is giving up on 6th Edition. 7th is confirmed for later this year, with a starter kit featuring Blood Angels vs. Orcs.

Also, players will be able to field Unbound armies, which do not have to follow the Force Organization Chart. Armies that do use the FOC, now known as battle-hardened, will receive bonuses that Unbound armies do not.

Chaos just got interesting...or Drakey.
Later this year is apparently in like 2 weeks.

What the fuck?