Kurt shits on the comics industry after iPad release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloaded the Marvel app last night. Read three free comics. It's a cool app, and as someone who doesn't buy comics (I get trades from the library), I was almost tempted to continue to one I was reading, but two bucks seems a little steep to me. If the $50 a year subscription gave me access, then I think would be on board, but apparently even with the subscription you pay $2 a book. Seems silly to me.

A

Andromache

Downloaded the Marvel app last night. Read three free comics. It's a cool app, and as someone who doesn't buy comics (I get trades from the library), I was almost tempted to continue to one I was reading, but two bucks seems a little steep to me. If the $50 a year subscription gave me access, then I think would be on board, but apparently even with the subscription you pay $2 a book. Seems silly to me.
that seems... broken as a biz model. Also? Welcome to the club. May I recommend having an extra towel when using it in the tub?

Wait, so what does the subscription get you?

The subscription gets you (legal) online access to a ton of comics if I read it correctly. I would only be interested in it if I could use it with my phone, though. I can see where it's going to take time (they actually set up each comic to work on the phone app, which is one of the main reasons it impressed me), but still, even to just get a static set for now might make it worth it.

I've missed this entire argument, due to being away for the last week, so...

...you know what I love?

I don't have to plug in or recharge my comics & books. And their batteries don't run out.

That's good enough for me.

Why would there need to be a delay? To stop 'pirating' and make sure people still read the paper copies? That would have an adverse affect and people would still be downloading torrents of the (new, up to date) scanned comics.
But those 2 hours between when the comic comes out and the pirates buy it, scan it and post it online make all the difference...

C

Chazwozel

I've missed this entire argument, due to being away for the last week, so...

...you know what I love?

I don't have to plug in or recharge my comics & books. And their batteries don't run out.

That's good enough for me.
I'm guessing in about 10 to 15 years plugs for handheld electronics will be obsolete.

Honestly, I'd give it less than that. Already, we've got that those pads you plug in and let your handhelds (whatever they are) recharge just by laying on it. Just a matter of moving that even more forward.

Still, my point still stands. I find I can't do much comprehensive digital reading. And it's not the same as holding a book in your hands. Sure, digitall will become more and more common. Heck, I'm already seeing it more and more common among Toronto transiters.

Honestly, I'd give it less than that. Already, we've got that those pads you plug in and let your handhelds (whatever they are) recharge just by laying on it. Just a matter of moving that even more forward.

Still, my point still stands. I find I can't do much comprehensive digital reading. And it's not the same as holding a book in your hands. Sure, digitall will become more and more common. Heck, I'm already seeing it more and more common among Toronto transiters.
It's just one of those things that is going to be harder for some to transition over to, but eventually when you do it more and more it will become normal, etc. I've played with the iPad and Kindle and I'd be happy reading on either of them, but for comics the iPad will be amazing. If the comic companies get their heads out of their stinkeroos.

Status
Not open for further replies.