LA Noire

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a thread about the facial technology of LA Noire, but not one for the game itself! This must be fixed.

So, who has it, and what do you think?

I'm in love with this game so far. Just made it to homicide, where the 'real' cases begin. My biggest downfall in this game is if someone else is in the room with me while I play it, because they'll want to talk while I'm trying to carefully listen to this suspect's response to my carefully worded interrogation.

Do you play in B&W or Color?

I'll admit my interest in the game went up considerably when I learned you could play it in Black and White.

C

Chibibar

I dream about owning it but Terraria keep me busy. Taking a break from DCUO since I mostly raid and that conflict with my work schedule :(

Pre-ordered it. Bought it Tuesday. It's flipping awesome.

It's been kinda fun playing it with my girl watching me play, though. When I'm at a crime scene, she'll point out things and ask if I can check them out or not. During interogations, we'll listen and watch the suspect for clues and then (very briefly) discuss whether they're lying or not.

I tried playing in black and white, and while it does give it a unique flavor, I ended up missing the color.

The fact that they scan real actors throws me off when I come across one I recognize. Why is Matt Parkman here?

Anyone else think this is a little too... easy? I just got done with my third Traffic case and it just seems like the cases all seem to be fairly obvious. The only hard part is picking the right evidence on some of the Lie selection...

Anyone else think this is a little too... easy? I just got done with my third Traffic case and it just seems like the cases all seem to be fairly obvious. The only hard part is picking the right evidence on some of the Lie selection...
Traffic is the tutorial. Keep playing.

I was under the impression that Patrolman was the tutorial. Still, I'm like 5 hours in... it's a pacing problem, I guess.
Well, traffic is the second tutorial, then. But yes, it's when I got to homicide that it felt like the 'real' cases were beginning.

The second I hit homicide was the second I found it harder and harder to get a read on people. A real fun game and man is the world big.

The second I hit homicide was the second I found it harder and harder to get a read on people. A real fun game and man is the world big.
Actually, I'm finding the first homicide case rather easy. The guy at the bar was an easy read, as was the husband.

Here's a sort-of hint/maybe cheating way to easily eliminate answers: If you open up the Intuition menu, it tells you how many people got this choice right with help. If it's in the +90% range, it's almost always ether a Doubt or Truth. That at least gives you a 50/50 shot before you spend a point. If it's 50% or below, it's almost always a Lie. This isn't too much help, but it does let you know you may have evidence to contradict the statement.

Also, the Intuition menu is singularly unhelpful if you need to present evidence. If your spending a point, at the very least they could give you percentages on which evidence to present. Just telling you it's a lie doesn't really help you if you have 8-9 pieces of evidence.

I never used an intuition note and I'm on the The Quarter Moon Murders case.

Overall the game is very interesting to play albeit very linear and relatively easy.

Not sure how great the story of this will be to Red Dead Redemption (which I still have a ways to go in and plan to finish before getting too far), but hell, the game is fun to play and Rockstar's made two games in my favorite settings.

The game seems to go easy in the first real interview situation, but damn, the difference made just by finding one more clue. We replayed the last Patrol mission a couple times. Very interesting game.

I never used an intuition note and I'm on the The Quarter Moon Murders case.

Overall the game is very interesting to play albeit very linear and relatively easy.
Hey, I figured I might as well use them, considering the game gives you so many (why give them to you for leveling up? Give me more clothes, better weapons, or better cars). Plus I'm trying to do a no-reload run my first time. However, the times you would most benefit from a hint are the times when they system doesn't allow it.

For instance, when you question Hopgood in "The Fallen Idol"....
When you need to prove his association with Bishop, you have three pieces of evidence that could potentially prove it: The film canister, the check, and the drugs. Logically, the film canister and the check should be a better option because they both have Bishop's/Hopgood's name on it and thus can directly be linked to him. However, the drugs are the correct answer and the only answer the game will accept. You have no way of knowing this until you try it. Not even Intuition can help you. If you want to try again, you need to reload, which kinda defeats the point of investigating.

In other words, you have to conform to the game's choices instead of choices that would also work.

Also, about "A Marriage Made in Heaven"...
Am I the only one who totally forgot to track down the Hit and Run driver? He was still guilty of failure to stop even if he was innocent in the murder, but I totally got swept up in the moment once they tell you to go pick up the wife and boyfriend... :oops:

Also, the Intuition menu is singularly unhelpful if you need to present evidence. If your spending a point, at the very least they could give you percentages on which evidence to present. Just telling you it's a lie doesn't really help you if you have 8-9 pieces of evidence.
Whenever I've used an intuition point that led me to select lie, it's always had at least half of the evidence pieces crossed out to help you narrow it down.

I don't use intuition points myself, seems more fun that way. And luckily, most if not all cases can be solved even after failing a few checks due to somewhat strict evidence use design (like what you said about Hopgood's case).

"A Marriage Made in Heaven" - I suck at this game sometimes.

It's something of a puzzle game, just with very different pieces than most. I'd actually like to see more games like this involving putting evidence together and doing interviews, trying to solve crimes rather than push blocks. This may be a game I actually buy DLC for, if I find myself able to trust PSN again.

"A Marriage Made in Heaven" - I suck at this game sometimes.

It's something of a puzzle game, just with very different pieces than most. I'd actually like to see more games like this involving putting evidence together and doing interviews, trying to solve crimes rather than push blocks. This may be a game I actually buy DLC for, if I find myself able to trust PSN again.
Hey, at least you get the PS3 exclusive mission for free. Really, if you can get the game for any system, get it for PS3. The 360 version isn't bad or anything, but it's not as good as the PS3 version.

As for "A Marriage Made in Heaven", I think that's the case where the game really pounds it into your head that you MUST check the crime scene perimeter for evidence, even if the evidence doesn't seem important. This really comes into play in "The Fallen Idol" and later on. It also makes it apparent that you really need to make sure you go after everyone involved, even if they might be innocent of the crime.

Darryl, just buy the points card at Gamebuy or whatever you usually go to instead of using your credit card. I never was a fan of putting my credit card on any consoles and the recent debacle has made me turn that option off for good with such an alternative.

Hey, at least you get the PS3 exclusive mission for free. Really, if you can get the game for any system, get it for PS3. The 360 version isn't bad or anything, but it's not as good as the PS3 version.

As for "A Marriage Made in Heaven", I think that's the case where the game really pounds it into your head that you MUST check the crime scene perimeter for evidence, even if the evidence doesn't seem important. This really comes into play in "The Fallen Idol" and later on. It also makes it apparent that you really need to make sure you go after everyone involved, even if they might be innocent of the crime.
FYI, until the Playstation store is back up, we can't even redeem the extra mission.
All that extra stuff is redeemed and downloaded through the PS store, so until that's back up, no extra missions...

Up to the Black Caesar...

OK, this is crap. If you want to get all the evidence, there is exactly ONE way to do this, where as most of the other cases let you visit locations in whatever order you wanted and still be able to collect all the evidence. So if you don't magically have the foresight to visit JJ before Merlon, your not going to be able to get a full score. This is the part of adventure games that needed to stay dead.[/quote]

OK, now the game is getting interesting. Just finished the Vice desk...

I am not at all surprised that Roy sold out Cole to advance his career, especially after Cole cost him so much money during the Boxing case. I also wasn't that surprised the Cole was cheating on his wife after he kept visiting the night club alone. It WAS surprising that they made you tail Elsa to her apartment when you'd think Cole would already know the way though... it threw me off for a bit.

Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.