[Question] Looking for a free video editor

I'm not going to be able to fly down to Mobile for my grandfather's 90th birthday party so I'm going to send a video instead. It's going to be short, no more than 5-6 minutes of me blabbing my face off. About the only thing fancy I want to do is put in a screen that reads "I love you, Papa" while I sing happy birthday.

So, oh brilliant Halforumites, can you recommend a free video editor that will let me do this, then slap it on a DVD? Or do you have another recommendation of something I could do instead?

PS: Mods, if you think this should be in the Tech portion, please move it.

Putting the video together for free will be LOADS easier than burning it to a DVD (for free). MPEG2 stuff, and all that.

You might try SUPER for the editing/converting, dunno about the burn.

--Patrick

Rats, looks like SUPER won't edit, just convert. Still, you can hack it together in Windows Movie Maker first.

--Patrick

I think I used Avidemux for a couple of things, because I could never get WMM to not create giant file sizes.

GasBandit

Staff member
Windows movie maker is surprisingly versatile now. It will definitely let you put in a caption or entire separate screen that says anything you want. It's what I use to put together my videos for my youtube channel these days.

WMM should be enough to tack together a video, though it is inefficient when it comes to file size. It looks like every version of Windows since Vista comes with the ability to burn a DVD movie built right in (Windows DVD Maker).

So you should be able to use those tools to build your DVD, burn it, test it, and then delete the work files to get your space back when you're done.
...unless you're using a Mac. If that's the case, then iMovie and iDVD are the programs you need, but the procedure doesn't change.

--Patrick