Looking for an oddly specific game (Or, the Minecraft Thread)

Dave

Staff member
Yeah I always felt very inadequate with Gas on that server with me. Here I'm still building cube houses and that fucker has a palace and a ship.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah I always felt very inadequate with Gas on that server with me. Here I'm still building cube houses and that fucker has a palace and a ship.
Do we even need to bring up the stuff DRIFTER built? He didn't even have slave labo... er, spousal help!

I feel ya, Dave. Here's what I have to put up with other people building on my server.

enterprise.jpg

That was all done by one person.
Meanwhile I'm building a dirt and stone hovel on the river.

depot.jpg

Sure, it has an attached boat launch around the side, but I still feel...inadequate.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't think I'll ever top that railway station. So satisfying.
Cerberus Station was a work of art no doubt, but the flying chinese dragon palace ship that you built next to it is the only structure that was visible from orbit on Ragnar.

orbit.PNG

cerberus and ship.PNG

Is there any *good* Minecraft music?

I have found the game hauntingly beautiful, and am disappointed that all I can find are silly pop parodies.

GasBandit

Staff member
I assumed he meant inspired by Minecraft, because the music IN minecraft is all very ambient and haunting, and not at all silly pop parodies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Holy.. is that a direct sequel to Fallen Kingdom?

I mean, the music is still a goofy pop parody, but that (and by extension, this) is one of the best written and executed minecraft videos ever made.

Also, those are some uncommonly pissed off zombie pigmen.

I got a really Knights of Cydonia vibe off it, except a bit less goofy.
As to the pigmen, have you ever annoyed one?
The pig ogre and lava boss were nice touches, and I wasn't expecting the end boss.

--Patrick

Yeah, I meant music-with-vocals, that made me feel the way the music in the game does.

I like the idea behind Take Back the Night - and people with different aesthetic senses than mine may find it genuinely poignant in the way I'm looking for. I found the music style a little too bland-pop and the lyrics not quite as good as they wanted them to be.[DOUBLEPOST=1383840855,1383840650][/DOUBLEPOST](Listening to "take back the night" again, I think I like the musical style just fine, but I was looking for something that felt like it blended seamlessly into the style of Minecraft's original soundtrack.)

GasBandit

Staff member
Huh, so the latest patch (1.7.2 now) added a whole bunch of new stuff. I might get back into playing minecraft again.

I started my first "big" project, which is a floating tower. The only way up right now is to swim the waterfall I made. The way down is just as fun, it's over a lake so you can just dive down. It also made for a forgiving construction. I only fell twice, and landed in the water both times.

I still have a lot to do, roof on the secondary towers, maybe some supports for the secondary towers going diagonally to the main tower, adding a bottom to the upper tower, and cleaning some mistakes I see now up. The hardest part for me is interior decorating.

2013-11-07_23.56.18.png

Oh, and it may be hard to tell in the picture, but the secondary towers point pretty close to the compass points.

Just a quick reminder for construction: hold shift. If you're holding shift you "can't" fall off of blocks. It'll let you kind of "hover" to let you perpetually build "outward" if you want to.

Caveat: you CAN fall, but you usually have to really REALLY try.

And I agree. Pair building projects are great fun for couples.

Ugh. Started in on a server, built a bunch of stuff with people, and I think they may have quit. Now I'm all alone and I don't know who to trust not to bash my pretty house to rubble... :foreveralone:

Embrace the chaos and opportunities to start over! You've learned a lot, and while the places you've built are neat and you feel some connection to them, you must keep looking forward. Embrace the future, and let the dead servers bury their dead buildings.

I've learned not to step on the pressure plate next to the chests in the desert temples!

I'll probably start over somewhere else soon. Building is the funnest part anyways.

I've debated opening mine up to the group, or at least setting up a secondary server on my server (so there's no overlap), but I don't install any mods, so it'd have to be a vanilla server.

--Patrick

That's what I prefer actually. There are a couple people I'd like to invite from off the boards that I've met on other servers too. If you don't want to, I wouldn't mind doing it either. Never run one before though.

It's not that hard to set one up, really. So long as you know how to open the ports to the outside world, the server portion is pretty easy. You just have to watch your bandwidth if a lot of people end up playing.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
My problem is I doubt my ISP will give me a static IP if I'm not on a business plan. :-/
Check out No-IP. You run their little program on your computer and it checks your dynamic IP address, and then they redirect your ____.no-ip.biz address to your current IP address.

There are a number of ways to manage Dynamic DNS (DDNS), and No-IP is one of them. DynDNS used to pretty much be the standard until they started charging money for it. There's a (2yr-old) list of providers here.

--Patrick