[PC Game] Mechwarrior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechwarrior has just never satisfied me ever since I played a variation of it that involved sitting in an actual pilot pod. I would have my controls and utilize them all in the cockpit, with a speed throttle and my aiming joystick. Ever since then using my keyboard just makes me feel bored when I would play it.

Dave

Staff member
I love playing the MechWarrior RPG/Strategy game where you get contracts and build your own corporations/merc companies. Then you have to do things like hire mechanics, worry about stuff like support troops, etc. You start out on a high level doing these corporate overviews so it's a financial sim. Then you roleplay contracts and recruiting, scouting, etc. Then when the shit hits the fan you set up the strategy board and it's a strategy game.

Loved that as a tabletop.

Dammit, I want a good BattleTech game, I don't wanna sit in a cockpit, I wanna command a board full of mechs. :(

Of course if I could just find some people around me who liked playing tabletop battle tech that might work as well but boy is that hard.

B

Biannoshufu

I'm sorry, but Macross and Gundam games ruined Mechwarrior (Battletech, wasn't it once called that a long time ago?) for me in any form. I know it was a licensing snafu, but I was pissed that the VFJ1 Battleloid wouldn't transform and fight in the air. Yes, I know that was first gen stuff, and its all changed like crazy now, but it still pisses me off.

Mechwarrior has just never satisfied me ever since I played a variation of it that involved sitting in an actual pilot pod. I would have my controls and utilize them all in the cockpit, with a speed throttle and my aiming joystick. Ever since then using my keyboard just makes me feel bored when I would play it.
Well if you're really serious about it:

It's now called MechWarrior Online, PC only, and free to play. It doesn't sound good so far, but I'll reserve judgement until I can actually play it.
The fact that they're trying to include informational warfare is a good sign imo...

My only problem is that there won't be any SP...

Oh, and i hope we get proper Pulse Lasers, not that Star Wars , screw physics, crap MW4 had.

Anyway, at least we know we'll have some awesome pics of mechs:

C

Chibibar

I love the classic Mechwarrior games (that brings back memory) This will be interesting to see how they are gonna pull this off.

edit: I still have my steel battalion controllers and game (but no xbox) it is awesome!

The fact that they're trying to include informational warfare is a good sign imo...
That does look interesting. It may be pretty close to what you're looking for Espy, except you'll be trying to command real people.
The newly implemented Battle Grid will give commanding units a bird’s eye view of the battlefield and scouts will be able to feed real time recon information to them. The battlefield commander will be able to call in air strikes, artillery strikes and other support unit requests.
It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together.

GasBandit

Staff member
I am a Mechwarrior fanboy. I absolutely love me some Mechwarrior. When Microsoft stopped making Mechwarrior games so they could concentrate on (blech) MECH ASSAULT, the fires of my anger could not be contained and the bones of the fallen were charred to ash in the pit of my abhorrent malevolence. I just hope they don't screw the pooch on this... and these days, that simple wish seems like the tallest of orders to developers I thought had their shit together.

Fun fact: did you know one of the funnest flight simulators of the previous decade, Crimson Skies, was actually using the Mechwarrior engine? It's true! [/GlaDoS]

It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together.
Well at the end you defeat the clans with 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss...

And then before teh Truce is over a jihad happens and you jump into the future where everything is lame...

I am a Mechwarrior fanboy. I absolutely love me some Mechwarrior. When Microsoft stopped making Mechwarrior games so they could concentrate on (blech) MECH ASSAULT, the fires of my anger could not be contained and the bones of the fallen were charred to ash in the pit of my abhorrent malevolence. I just hope they don't screw the pooch on this... and these days, that simple wish seems like the tallest of orders to developers I thought had their shit together.

Fun fact: did you know one of the funnest flight simulators of the previous decade, Crimson Skies, was actually using the Mechwarrior engine? It's true! [/GlaDoS]
Me too, me too, me too and me too.

Hell, the only reason I keep my expensive and gigantic PC flight sticks around now are for the odd chance we might one day get another proper Mechwarrior game.
Added at: 16:23
Well if you're really serious about it:

That controller rules, the game does not.

Please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good...
Added at: 18:25
I think it would be a good "galaxy" to build up for an MMO. There was a lot of non-Mech roll playing and vehicles in the game series.

You start the game as a member of a house or mercenary band. You do first person shooters/coop fighting for several missions until you can buy or capture your first Jenner, then you slowly upgrade buy more mechs for your lance, then eventually move up to the next weight class. Until you are doing planetary invasions of House Davidian.

Necronic

Staff member
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenary (the one Dave was referencing I think) may have been the single best game of the 90s. If they could just re-release that with better graphics and slightly expanding the progression mechanics and mission inventory....I mean that would be a blockbuster, guaranteed.

It also contains one of the best lines in one of the best opening sequences of a game:

"Look at the bright side, kid. You get to keep all the money" (said after the team-mate is killed in a heroic last stand.)

Mechwarrior is half the reason I still own an expensive flight stick.

(other half is IL Sturmovik)

GasBandit

Staff member
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenary (the one Dave was referencing I think) may have been the single best game of the 90s. If they could just re-release that with better graphics and slightly expanding the progression mechanics and mission inventory....I mean that would be a blockbuster, guaranteed.

It also contains one of the best lines in one of the best opening sequences of a game:

"Look at the bright side, kid. You get to keep all the money" (said after the team-mate is killed in a heroic last stand.)
You know they made a Mechwarrior 4 mercenaries too, right? It was pretty damn good. Follows a mercenary unit that eventually has to pick a side in the FedCom civil war, and has multiple endings.
Added at: 16:59

Added at: 17:02
But the game I think Dave was talking about was MechCommander.
Added at: 17:03
Aaand just for completeness's sake, here's the MW2: Mercs intro, for the benefit of the thread.

You know, I'm still trying to find my flightstick from college that I used with MW4. I know I didn't lose it, but I suspect it's meandering somewhere in storage (or possibly my parents' house).

GasBandit

Staff member
I preferred the microsoft sidewinder 3D.

It's got an extra axis (twist the grip as well as tilt), hat switch for camera angles, throttle, 3 thumb buttons and 4 programmable base buttons... and the base is extra wide and heavy so it doesn't flop around like my old flightstick used to.

Had to tape a 2 inch thick book to the bottom of that bad boy to keep it stable playing X-wing. Ironically, that book was called "Getting the most from your money."

You know, when I was in middleschool, I came up with what I thought would be the most fun game ever. A lot of the details escape me now, but what it boiled down to was basically a combination of mechwarrior and EVE Online.

In fact, it was exactly like Mechwarrior combined with EVE Online. And I still think it would be rad.

One of my buddies had this monstrosity back in the day:

The force feedback motor in it would cause the stick to twitch like an erection which of course was cause of no end of amusement for our 12 year old selves.

I currently sport the X52 Pro, which are fucking awesome for flight simulators and the occasional Mech4 Mercenaries romp.

Status
Not open for further replies.