[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Welp! Out of town for a week and a half, brought my laptop but forgot my Blizzard authenticator. No Diablo/WoW for me.

Supposedly you can go into your battle.net account and disable authenticator need from in there. However, this will disable access to RMAH and such.
And you can always try to get someone with a smart phone to download the authenticator?

"Looks good so far." Ugh. WHAT about it looks good so far? Which part do you like? What do expect out of the final result that is either missing or should be changed in the current version? Learn to give proper, useful feedback, people.

I'm seriously about to write up a "How to give Constructive Criticism" document and force all of my team members to read it.

I love the enthusiasm my son has for learning about the natural world. I hate that he thinks I should have the answer to every one of his questions and know every species of creepy crawly and creature on the planet! I had to tell him this morning that I am not an encyclopedia.
:/

Cajungal

Staff member
You should buy him a book called _ScienceSaurus._ It's a mini textbook for kids that explains electricity, natural resources, systems in the body, etc... In a really kid-friendly but not dumbed-down way. I use them in my classroom!

Thanks Leslie! I'll look into that. I don't mind looking things up online for him. It's just when we are outside and (for instance) he sees a bug, if I say it's only a bug he wants to know what kind of bug. Then it looks like a White-Banded Flying Winker and not whatever bug I say it could be. Then why isn't it a White-Banded Flying Winker? And what if White-Banded Flying Winkers lived here instead of in their native Plotsylvania? Do you think the Cane Toads would eat all of the White-Banded Flying Winkers? ...And on and on and on. And, yes, I keep using the name of my imaginary bug because that is exactly what Noah would say to me. Once when we were at the park where we sometimes go to feed the reef fish he must have said humuhumunukunukuapua'a twenty times in the span of 5 minutes. I finally told him to just say triggerfish before he gave himself an aneurism (ok I didn't say the last part but I felt like it). I don't want to discourage his curiosity, but damn I am not a field guide to the world. lol

Thanks Leslie! I'll look into that. I don't mind looking things up online for him. It's just when we are outside and (for instance) he sees a bug, if I say it's only a bug he wants to know what kind of bug. Then it looks like a White-Banded Flying Winker and not whatever bug I say it could be. Then why isn't it a White-Banded Flying Winker? And what if White-Banded Flying Winkers lived here instead of in their native Plotsylvania? Do you think the Cane Toads would eat all of the White-Banded Flying Winkers? ...And on and on and on. And, yes, I keep using the name of my imaginary bug because that is exactly what Noah would say to me. Once when we were at the park where we sometimes go to feed the reef fish he must have said humuhumunukunukuapua'a twenty times in the span of 5 minutes. I finally told him to just say triggerfish before he gave himself an aneurism (ok I didn't say the last part but I felt like it). I don't want to discourage his curiosity, but damn I am not a field guide to the world. lol
I'm not very good with kids but suddenly I really want to babysit your son because I was just like that, and I kind of still am! I do sympathise though; when I'm with my niece, sometimes it's just like, "Let it go, man. Let. It. Go."

Cajungal

Staff member
How old is he? There are lots of databases for animals online where you describe the organism and they narrow it down for you. I used it whena student brought me a sick bird. Just cuz I'm the science teacher doesn't mean I know how to identify every weird thing in a jar they bring me... But they keep em comin, heh.

He's going to be 7 in August. He reads on a 3- 4th grade level and will pick your brain about animals until he cannot think of another thing he wants to know. They did a section on penguins in his 1st grade class this year. Every day for about 3 months I had to look up different species of penguins so he could write down facts about them. One day it would be African and Magellanic penguins. The next day would be Little Blue penguins followed by Gentoo penguins. Once he went through all 20 types of penguins he started researching their predators - like leopard seals and skuas.

My nephew's gotten to that point too. We taught him VERY young about different TYPES of things. He didn't just learn "This is a car". He learned "This is a Volkswagon beetle. That's a Chevy Cruz, etc." He didn't learn "This is a pepper." He learned "This is a green bell pepper, that is a red bell pepper, that is a jalepno pepper, that is a chili pepper...."

The downside is now he thinks EVERYTHING has different types, and always seems to assume there's something more specific you could tell him.
I've started to get a bit better at dealing with it, by intentionally being as vague as possible on the first question.
ex:
Recently they dropped me off at my place and came in for a bit. He saw this photo, which I have affixed to my animation desk:
CanadianWomensHockeyWin.jpg

Dexter: "Whos that?"
Me:" Those are hockey players." (He knows this. He's pretty nuts about hockey, actually.)
Dexter:"What kind of hockey players?"
Me: "Women hockey players."
Dexter: "What kind of women hockey players?"
Me: "Canadian women hockey players."
Dexter: "OK"
Thankfully that appeased him, cause I wasn't sure where I would have gone after I got to "Olympic. Gold. Medal Winning. Canadian. Women. Hockey. Players."

His junior kindergarten teacher is going to have fun with him in the fall.

Alas, I do not own such a glove/goggle combination :( It's a friend of mine in our college's animation lab last halloween

M

makare

I was so tired today. When 7:30 rolled around I decided to take a short nap. Yeah, it is now 3 in the morning and instead of feeling rested I feel like crap.

Fantastic.

I love the enthusiasm my son has for learning about the natural world. I hate that he thinks I should have the answer to every one of his questions and know every species of creepy crawly and creature on the planet! I had to tell him this morning that I am not an encyclopedia.
My mom just said "I don't know" to everything. This led to a negative opinion about her science capabilities, so your making things up is probably the better route.

Warning: Getting him science books may cause him to quiz you at random... at least, that's what I did when they stuffed a bunch of science books in my face to shut me up.

You need to adopt the strategy employed by Calvin's Dad. Don't know the answer? Go crazy.

An actual example from me and my daughter

"Daddy, why does it rain."

"Well you remember how you splash water out of the bathtub and it gets all over the floor? Rain comes from giants splashing water out of their bathtub and it falls to the earth as rain. Because as you remember from Jack and the Beanstalk, giants live in the clouds."

You need to adopt the strategy employed by Calvin's Dad. Don't know the answer? Go crazy.

"Well you remember how you splash water out of the bathtub and it gets all over the floor? Rain comes from giants splashing water out of their bathtub and it falls to the earth as rain. Because as you remember from Jack and the Beanstalk, giants live in the clouds."
That's the kind of thing I do to my cousins.

...except I know the answers; I just like messing with their heads.

S

SeraRelm

"Mommy what's thunder?"
"That's god spanking the world for being bad. If you're really bad, it hits YOU!"
*me hiding in my closet whenever it rained for a year after*
(No coming out of the closet jokes thx)

Because lying to your kids seemed like a good idea at the time.

"Mommy what's thunder?"
"That's god spanking the world for being bad. If you're really bad, it hits YOU!"
*me hiding in my closet whenever it rained for a year after*
(No coming out of the closet jokes thx)

Because lying to your kids seemed like a good idea at the time.
It's all fun and games until they grow up and it turns out they actually remember all this shit and you're like "oh god why did I do that"...

Sometimes I bring up shit my mom used to say. She holds her head in her hands and says, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I should tell her if she's really sorry, she should stop drinking, but I don't.

My just-realized minor rant:

I feel like I'm in a great mood, but I've been bitter today. Maybe I should stay offline.

My husband and I have told him stories like that. It usually takes one of two routes: Mommy and Daddy are "super silly" or he starts worrying about the fictional explanation. This ultimately leads to him crying because giants might splash too much water out of the tub and flood our house then we wouldn't have a place to live and *gasp* WHAT ABOUT THE LAND ANIMALS?!?!? They can't swim because they don't live in the ocean and they would die!! Oh no! Which leads to me asking if giants are real and getting him to realize this was all a joke while enduring 30 minutes of "But what if..." questions. It's easier to just give him the real explanation.

btw - My daughter looked over my shoulder when I was reading your reply and got excited when she saw Pato's picture in your signature. Pocoyo is a favorite around here.

I have a meeting with my engagement manager/HR person in 2 hours. This is either my "this is what your raise is going to be" meeting, or my "we're getting rid of the contingent staffing side of our business" meeting, ahead of Thursday's All-staff meeting, and I don't know which.