Minor victory thread

I will apparently be working once again in short order.

The only problem is - it's going to be deep cleaning schools here in East Mesa.

The plus side is, it'll be at my current hourly pay rate.

And, if it starts up next week - I'll technically be "double dipping" for a week, as I'm guaranteed pay through next Thursday (the 21st).

What I'm not thrilled about is the idea of deep cleaning. And God only knows what was left behind by the little kids before The Spring Break That Never Ended.

After getting fed up with trying to put on one of my baseball caps, I managed to order not one but two hats that actually fit my giant head.

Passed the written part of my Intro to Comm class.
1590213032103.png

Then I had to record a speech based on the written part. look at my amazing set up!
1590213083782.png

But hey, from the angle of the webcam, it looked great ;) Keeping my fingers crossed that I pass that one, because there's no 'revisions' I can make. I'd just have to re-record the damn thing.

I’m the proud new mother of two big ass portable air conditioners. I don’t really understand how BTUs work and various stores quote a different amount per square footage, so I went with the most conservative and got bigger units.

I remember not minding the heat in the past, but yesterday was hideously hot and I got water hives from the humidity and got way overheated. I blame my meds.

I can’t wait to crank it.

I don’t really understand how BTUs work and various stores quote a different amount per square footage, so I went with the most conservative and got bigger units.
Crudely, the raw BTU rating of an air conditioner is a capacity measure of how much heat the unit can extract from indoor air and throw outside.
BTU/hr is a better measure because it is how quickly the unit can accomplish the above. A unit with a massive cooler but a lousy fan might be able to easily bring the temperature of the air going through it down by 15°C, but have trouble cooling a room bigger than 7m^2 because it just can't circulate enough air. Likewise a unit with a big-ass fan but an anemic cooler might be able to reach every corner of a 12m^2 room but fight to bring the temperature down more than 3°C.

You're supposed to add up how much BTU/hr everything in the room you want to cool will generate (e.g., a human being will generate about 350 BTU/hr, a desktop PC can generate 500-1000BTU/hr) plus tack on additional if the room gets direct sunlight, then increase your total by about 20% to get your final figure, and then find the air conditioner rated for that final figure that uses the least Watts. At least, that's my method. :)

--Patrick

Crudely, the raw BTU rating of an air conditioner is a capacity measure of how much heat the unit can extract from indoor air and throw outside.
BTU/hr is a better measure because it is how quickly the unit can accomplish the above. A unit with a massive cooler but a lousy fan might be able to easily bring the temperature of the air going through it down by 15°C, but have trouble cooling a room bigger than 7m^2 because it just can't circulate enough air. Likewise a unit with a big-ass fan but an anemic cooler might be able to reach every corner of a 12m^2 room but fight to bring the temperature down more than 3°C.

You're supposed to add up how much BTU/hr everything in the room you want to cool will generate (e.g., a human being will generate about 350 BTU/hr, a desktop PC can generate 500-1000BTU/hr) plus tack on additional if the room gets direct sunlight, then increase your total by about 20% to get your final figure, and then find the air conditioner rated for that final figure that uses the least Watts. At least, that's my method. :)

--Patrick
which is why we went from a 1.5 ton to a god dang 2.5 ton evaporator on our current A/C unit

--Patrick
Four people if we’re all in the loft = 1400

One work PC and monitors = 1200
(It’s a surface pro and doesn’t get hot like our old ones)

One big ass tv = 1000?

One normal cat ??
Thee shaggy beast cats ??

I got a 12,000 BTU/hr unit for that room and a 10,400 for our room. I hope that’s enough. Thank you for sharing your numbers.

Home Depot had much more conservative numbers about how much cooling the units could do at a certain BTU/hr whereas Best Buy was saying smaller units could cool larger rooms.

Four people if we’re all in the loft = 1400

One work PC and monitors = 1200
(It’s a surface pro and doesn’t get hot like our old ones)

One big ass tv = 1000?

One normal cat ??
Thee shaggy beast cats ??

I got a 12,000 BTU/hr unit for that room and a 10,400 for our room. I hope that’s enough. Thank you for sharing your numbers.

Home Depot had much more conservative numbers about how much cooling the units could do at a certain BTU/hr whereas Best Buy was saying smaller units could cool larger rooms.
how big are the rooms? i assume you got one for each room? it is very likely they will work, the biggest thing and im sure @HCGLNS knows this is you need to get a good seal on both sides of the exhaust and make as short of a run as you can.

how big are the rooms? i assume you got one for each room? it is very likely they will work, the biggest thing and im sure @HCGLNS knows this is you need to get a good seal on both sides of the exhaust and make as short of a run as you can.
Thé loft is 12x24 and I have no idea what the measurements of our room are. Sorry :( I can check the plans in the garage. It’s smaller than the loft though.

Thé loft is 12x24 and I have no idea what the measurements of our room are. Sorry :( I can check the plans in the garage. It’s smaller than the loft though.
you should be good by the sounds of it, less than 500 sqft. I had similar issues when looking into an air cleaner and dehumidifier for my office.
also im sure you knew that too about a solid exhaust and intake set-up, i realized after the fact what i said came off sexist, I didnt mean it that way.

@PatrThom thats actually an issue here when setting up whole home HVAC too! People are good for putting the two ports side by side and all kinds of horrors come of it.

you should be good by the sounds of it, less than 500 sqft. I had similar issues when looking into an air cleaner and dehumidifier for my office.
also im sure you knew that too about a solid exhaust and intake set-up, i realized after the fact what i said came off sexist, I didnt mean it that way.

@PatrThom thats actually an issue here when setting up whole home HVAC too! People are good for putting the two ports side by side and all kinds of horrors come of it.
Awesome! I’m enjoying the fact that I don’t feel like I’m melting tonight.

i feel the same, we finally got our whole house system humming and my basement office is a chilly 65°F/18°C and im enjoying it myself.

I bought a couple PVC elbows and now instead of our window having two nostrils right next to each other, it has two "headers" that vent in 60° opposite downward directions. Opposite so they don't cross-contaminate, and downward so they can't accumulate rainfall.

--Patrick

My dumb suburb now has zero reported Covid-19 cases.

I think I feel ok going to get a haircut tomorrow so my hair is no longer a Covid-mullet where the hair above my eyes is constantly brushing them and irritating me.

I forgot to mention it because everything is on fire and nothing matters any more, but Wednesday was my 25th wedding anniversary. We were going to go on our first trip with just the two of us in a decade, but covid. Maybe later.

Since deciding to actually go through with most of our wedding in August, our ceremony's slowly starting to take shape. We've got Harry Potter music, Star Trek music, Star Wars music, computer game music (ok, Baba Yetu which is arguably the beszt version of the Our Father ever), and Disney music. I think I can live with this :D

Since deciding to actually go through with most of our wedding in August, our ceremony's slowly starting to take shape. We've got Harry Potter music, Star Trek music, Star Wars music, computer game music (ok, Baba Yetu which is arguably the beszt version of the Our Father ever), and Disney music. I think I can live with this :D
What music are you making your entrance to?

My entrance will be the DS9 intro music - The Emissary. :) Hers, Harry's Wondrous World. And we're walking out on the Star Wars main theme re-arranged for string quartet.
That's cool!

I've often said I wish I could've made my entrance to the Skyrim main theme.

Got the exhaust patched for $30, but it's only temporary. Full repair is gonna run $300 or so. :(

But at least it should be enough to pass inspection.

I got a disbursement from my late grandmother's estate of $2400 last Friday. Saturday, the AC at my house breaks, coil is leaking and needs to be replaced. Cost? $2400.

I'm breaking even, so yay? But I could have done something fun with that money instead.

As someone who lived with a broken air conditioner for 2 years, and I was very pregnant during the second year, a working air conditioner IS fun.