[Other] Monster thread: THE REVENGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sequel to my previous monster thread where we post about our favorite monsters from mythology, books, or wherever.

The Tengu, probably my favorite yokai of all time! These guys have all sorts of powers, talking without moving there mouths, flight, hurricane fans, and I think even teleportation! Its even stated that the Tengu are the true founders of ninjutsu and all ninjas are their descendants.What I find weird is how they are one of the most under-utilized monsters in almost all of Japanese pop-culture. Its all kappas, kitsune, oni, bla bla bla. I'ma stick with the awesome bird people.

I know, he was awesome! Probably my favorite boss from that game! Though still, the tengu doesn't have nearly as much world-wide recognition as other Japanese monsters which bugs me a tad. I mean hell, they changed the tengu in Zombie Nation to a floating zombie head....whhhhhhhhhhhhhy? That...that seems unnecessary.

The Black Shuck, a classic bad omen from Celtic folk-lore. Those who have been said to see it face either horrible misfortune, or good luck. Some believe it has roots to Anubis from Egyptian mythology. Some believe they are simply emmisaries of death. All I know is, I WANT ONE! I would call him Steve and he'd be my evil magical dog pal! Oh the fun we'd have, taking the souls of the living!

North_Ranger

Staff member

I've always had a soft spot for minotaurs, thanks to a friend who took a rather different take on this mythical monster with his storytelling RPG character. He played his minotaur warrior as a warrior poet, the last of a noble race, instead of the slavering monster that is usually the minotaur's schtick in most games. It's different from what the minotaur was in Greek mythology, of course, but I always found that portrayal both tragic and touching - to the point where pretty much the only reason I watched those dang Narnia movies was because they had minotaurs in them (and Peter Dinklage as Trumpkin in the second one).

Other olden but golden for me are various creatures of Greek mythology: centaurs, dryads and satyrs. I'd also offer pictures of Finnish mythical monsters, but unfortunately those are so deeply bastardized into cutesy critters of children's literature they just make me sick. Some of these monsters are:
- Iku-Turso, a mythical sea monster summoned from the depths of the ocean to harry the heroes of the Finnish epic Kalevala. Not really given a depiction, so pictures of ol' Iku range from sea serpents to squid-like monsters (in Finnish, 'squid' is tursas).
- Vesihiisi (or 'the water goblin'), a vile monster lurking in rivers and lakes, always seeking to draw unwary travelers to his underwater domain. A shapeshifter who hides his hideous appearance in the guise of a woman (though with unnaturally big and flappy breasts) or a horse, taking the rider into the deep. One legend even attributes skill with the fiddle to the vesihiisi; he will teach anyone who is willing but will attempt to bring them under with him once the lesson is over. And even if the student survives, he can only play the fiddle with such terrific skill nine times before he can't stop, making himself and anyone listening dance towards the nearest water, where the hungry vesihiisi is waiting...

I think the Tengu are underutilized because of how their image basically changed over time from "chaotic demon of war and death" to "avatar of the warrior's conflicted spirit". Essentially, they stopped being bad guys and just became dangerous. Even the whole possession gig basically got taken away from them by kitsune.

So now, when the Japanese need a pop-culture monster, the Tengu doesn't really fit anymore.

I've always been a big fan of Leviathan. Maybe it's being a scuba diver, but when you're down there and looking down into the dark from a ridge at 90 ft or so, it's hard not to imagine what could be down there.

Vehihiisi, is that like a selkie? Selkies are cool! Seduce then kill, common monster practice.

On the topic of the name Minotaur , it is a tricky subject for me. In numerous fantasy stories there are creatures called "Minotaurs" but it doesn't make sense seeing as how the name Minotaur means "Taur(bull) from Minos". Perhaps they are descendants of the original Minotaur? Find out next time on Mysterious mysteries.

ANY-WHOOZLES- I fucking LOVE the monsters in Greek mythology! One of my favorite things about Greek monsters are how almost all of them are covered in snakes. Cerberus? Mane of snakes. Chimera? Snake like tail? Gorgon? Hair of snakes. Hydra? Multiple snake heads.Typhon? MADE OUT OF SNAKES! He was a giant man with a hundred snakes on his hands or head and he shot fire from his eyes and he kicked ass!

Edit: SpecialKO THE LEVIATHAN! She is awesome! And in the end of days, the Leviathan and the Behemoth shall fight until the death! And there carcasses shall feed the damned! Paraphrased, not read.

Look at this classic pic, don't they just look so awesome? A classic battle of monsters.I also remember reading some where that Behemoth is based on an Egyptian hippo god "Behemut". I'll post it when I find a picture.

And yeah I guess that's true about the Tengu. I still think it sucks though, especially how the youko legend is so over-used. Not saying I don't think , but if I saw less of them I'd be okay with it.

My favorite monster is the human.
Charlie?Dat you?

Anyway,one of my fave monsters is the "Mananangal" from Philippine folklore,it is a hermaphrodite and capable of reproducing by itself.It is similar to a Vampire,but it seperates its upper body from the torso and flies using bat wings to the homes of pregnant women where it uses its long tounge to eat the heart of the fetuses and the blood from the mother.

Another one would be the "Kapre" it is a tree dwelling giant,that smokes a ganja pipe all day.he is not really evil though.He likes to trick people,making them forget where they are and lose their way (the remedy against that is to wear your tshirt inside out).

Spring Heeled Jack: Not sure if he counts as a monster but man was he crazy. He could jump really high, he had ripping claws, and debatably fire breath! Its still debated on who he was to this day, if he even existed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.