[Informational] New Addon Thread

Dave

Staff member
Instead of starting a new thread every time I break change things, I'm making this the official addon thread. Any new things I try will be announced here and we can discuss.

For example, you'll notice now when you scroll down it freezes the menu above. No more need for the "Top" button, which I have to add every time I update the site.

It's a cool feature but takes up a lot of screen space on mobile. Guess I have no choice but it get the iPhone 6 plus.

Dave

Staff member
I wondered how it looked on mobile. And it's an all or nothing thing. So it comes down to how much you hate it versus how much everyone else likes it.

I like it on desktop, but I can see it being bad on mobile.

Edit: nevermind. It's fine on my nexus 4. How small are people's screens where this is a problem?

GasBandit

Staff member
You guys having mobile troubles, I really recommend the new version of the free tapatalk client. It's light years better than it used to be.

Dave

Staff member
when do we get quizzes back :(
There's some fixing they need to do. Specifically, the alerts that show everything instead of just the quizzes you haven't taken. So I'm kind of waiting for the next version, which the dev says will be in a couple of days. In the new version you can add your own quizzes directly. Found out right now you'd have to send them to me to put in.

Also, it still emails the results, which I HATE.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm disappointed that these quizzes are all "correct/incorrect" type quizzes... I was expecting.. I dunno, personality quizzes? Polls? That kind of stuff.

Just going on record about the menu freeze thingie that it causes me no hardship on my mobile. BlackBerry Z10 user here (yes, BlackBerry, laugh it up :p)

Yeah I don't like this at all. When I click on a thread with new posts, part of said new post is cut off by this thing. I also don't like that big red "5" beside Quiz, because that's a part of the board I have absolutely no interest in. The whole thing is a giant, unnecessary eye sore to me.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've got the "5" there when I've done one quiz so it should say 4, but I haven't had any problems with the bar "covering up" anything.

Yeah I don't like this at all. When I click on a thread with new posts, part of said new post is cut off by this thing. I also don't like that big red "5" beside Quiz, because that's a part of the board I have absolutely no interest in. The whole thing is a giant, unnecessary eye sore to me.
I'm not a huge fan of the menu bar either, for these reasons. Also, the menu bar loads a second after everything else has. This means that the stuff on my screen is pushed down when the menu bar loads. More than once today I've ended up clicking on Games & More when I wanted to click on Media Madness.

Still though, I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough.

Interesting. Using firefox? The chrome ABP doesn't seem to have that functionality.
I was able to get the Chrome ABP to block the quiz notification, but it also removed all other links on the top of the bar except my inbox, alerts, and profile links.

Dave

Staff member
You can now add your own quizzes. If you want a category made, however, you need to let me know and I'll add it.

Also, it now only shows the number of quizzes you haven't yet taken.