New Picture Thread

On the other hand, I tend to not bother to dye my grays often, because it helps me get people to take me more seriously. I'm short and also tend to look young, which is not a great thing when I'm trying to argue about IEP services for a late teen. :p

There is nothing wrong with it. Sometimes it's tough sitting next to Mr. "Asian Don't Raisin" when we're supposed to be the same damn age.
My wife has been grey since her late teens, and I still look like I'm in my mid-to-late twenties thirties, so there HAVE been a few times when people have assumed she's my mom. I am happy to report all of these people are still alive, though possibly scarred for life.
I'm still a young man dammit!
And virile, and relatively unscarred, we know!

--Patrick

I want the rest of my hair to go white at this point. Less obvious how damned thin it's getting.

Seriously though, as a dark haired man, balding is murder. Light browns like Ed Harris can work it. I'd look like Friar Friggin Tuck if it weren't for Rogaine.

Just had another person tell me to my face that I couldn’t know about “event x” because I wasn’t old enough. This particular person, as it turns out, is 15 years younger than I, and they thought I was only about 30. I’ve been married for 32 years this next week on the 17th.

I ain't sayin' nothin'.

(sings "My baby wrote me a letter/said she couldn't live without me no more...")

(First person to get the reason for the reference can't laugh at @Dave or me anymore.)

figmentPez

Staff member
We don't do The Elf on the Shelf in this house, but we do have The Gritty from the City (of Brotherly Love)!

Most likely only @Yoshimickster will get all of these jokes:

View attachment 36435
"Gritty, get off of that!"

View attachment 36436
"No, Gritty! Not Santa again!"

View attachment 36437
"Stop it, Gritty! That's not even your sport!"

View attachment 36439
"Gritty, 5 times in a row is enough."

View attachment 36440
"Gritty, eat a veggie once in a while."

View attachment 36441
The only way to get him to sleep.
Itty-Bitty Gritty

I retook this photo from 15 years ago and I'm having complex feelings about it. I know the lighting makes a big difference, but the side-by-side comparison is making me realize that I'm starting to look older than the still teenage version of myself I seem to still have in my head.

retake_15years.jpg

Jesus, two of me could fit in Dwayne Johnson... That may have come out more dirty than intended.

Sorry Bhamster, dinner time has come and gone and I'm not hungry... Maybe tomorrow though!

Last edited:
I retook this photo from 15 years ago and I'm having complex feelings about it. I know the lighting makes a big difference, but the side-by-side comparison is making me realize that I'm starting to look older than the still teenage version of myself I seem to still have in my head.

View attachment 36816
I think it's fairly normal for your self-image not to correspond quite with reality. Heck, your image of other people probably doesn't, either.
Plenty of people think they can still rock look X (please cover your 50 year old belly) or hairdo Y (please stop it with the combover) when their years have sadly caught up with them. They just don't realize it.
I know that my image of people I'm close to is skewed strongly in their favor. People I dislike look uglier than they probably really do. It's a psychological thing.

Anyway, while obviously some time has passed between those two pictures, if you say there's 15 years between 'm, hey, you're doing good - I wouldn't have said so.

Long ago, I had a girlfriend have to have this same surgery after a car accident, and she wound up in such good shape. I'm hoping my wife recovers as nicely.

Work has been rough for her for years, and she's been going to a spine pain management place, and they've been telling her she didn't need an MRI or surgery yet. Hello? How can you know if you need surgery without an MRI? So she broke down and went on her own rather than get a referral from them, and the guy said "see this MRI? You have two disks that are essentially gone. That's why you're in pain all the time. You shoulda had this surgery at least a year ago."

Long ago, I had a girlfriend have to have this same surgery after a car accident, and she wound up in such good shape. I'm hoping my wife recovers as nicely.

Work has been rough for her for years, and she's been going to a spine pain management place, and they've been telling her she didn't need an MRI or surgery yet. Hello? How can you know if you need surgery without an MRI? So she broke down and went on her own rather than get a referral from them, and the guy said "see this MRI? You have two disks that are essentially gone. That's why you're in pain all the time. You shoulda had this surgery at least a year ago."
This happened to my mom for literal years, until two discs literally deteriorated right at the start of lockdown and they wouldn't do surgery for two months.

Is the cause known? Like, was it trauma, or just years and years and years of holding a phone with her shoulder, something like that?

--Patrick