New Promo Shots from "X-Men: First Class"

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right ladies and germs, X-Men First Class, the loose prequel to only the first two X-flicks that is coming this June. Produced by Bryan Singer, directed by Matthew Vaughn, and starring James Macavoy, Michael Fassbender, Kevin Bacon, and January Jones. Other than the very last image, which was a leaked incomplete promo shot, I say it looks to have potential.
xmenfirstclassimage05.jpg

Above: Charles Xavier (James Macavoy) knows what you're thinking.
Below: Charles, Magneo/Erik Lensherr (Michael Fassbender), and Moira Mactaggert (Rose Byrne) show their students - L to R Banshee/Sean Cassidy (Caleb Landry Jones), Mystique/Raven Darkholme (Jenifer Lawrence), Beast/Henry McCoy (Nicolas Hoult), and Havok/Alex Summers (Lucas Till) - something.
xmenfirstclasssimage02.jpg
xmenfirstclasssimage04.jpg

Above: Xavier and Lensherr play some chess.
Below: Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) and Emma Frost (January Jones) scheme, possibly at the Hellfire Club.
'
xmenfirstclasssimage03.jpg
firstclass7.jpg

Above: Lensherr wearing an in-universe early version of his spiffy Magneto helmet.
Below: L to R - Magneto/Erik Lensherr, Moira MacTaggert, Emma Frost, Azazel (Jason Flemyng), Beast/Hank McCoy, Havok/Alex Summers, Angel Saladore (Zoe Kravitz), Mystique/Raven Darkholme, and Professor X/Charles Xavier.
xmenfirstclasssimage01.jpg

Because Fox owns the X-Men rights? Besides, while not directly comics based, I think this looks pretty good.

J

Jiarn

Early shots of Wolverine were great to look at too. At this point we can only go on track record....

Early shots of Wolverine were great to look at too. At this point we can only go on track record....
And my god, that was an awful movie. I agree with you: I wish Fox/Sony/whoever would return the movie rights back to Marvel.

True, but Matthew Vaugh is neither Brett Ratner or Gavin Hood. I happened to love both Kick-Ass and Layer Cake, though I haven't seen Stardust, so he get the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

and it's far more likely that this turd of a movie, and other potential turds Fox makes of the license, will bring in more money that Marvel would be willing to offer.

Wow, that's... wow pretty impressive the way they are mashing up the time line of characters there. Xavier looks younger than almost everyone there. And Kevin Bacon as Shaw?!? Ugh. January Jones is not a terrible casting choice for Emma but she reads very old in comparison to the other actors.

I think I will be giving this one a pass... these are not my X-men.

Because angst like the Twilight crowd likes has NEVER been a part of the X-Men, has it?

Angst1.jpg
Angst2.jpg
Angst3.jpg
Angst4.jpg
Angst5.jpg
Angst6.jpg

Nope. No angst there. None at all.

Seriously, this flick has a good director and a fine cast. It is a little premature to dismiss it based on all of six promo-shots and a few interviews that reveal maybe a paragraph worth of plot and a hint of the direction.

J

Jiarn

I'm dismissing it because Fox gives me every reason to pass on it. They're previous comic book movies had great directors and fine casts as well.

J

Jiarn

True, and Bryan Singer did give us the original X-Men that was pretty damn good. X-2 wasn't too bad either. Still, Fox hurt me one too many times to earn my trust.... I'll wait for initial reviews from sources I trust.

Nope. No angst there. None at all.

Seriously, this flick has a good director and a fine cast. It is a little premature to dismiss it based on all of six promo-shots and a few interviews that reveal maybe a paragraph worth of plot and a hint of the direction.
How about they focus their efforts on the better X-Men comics then?

They don't HAVE to direct the movie around the comics made in the 1960s...

P

Philosopher B.

Bond + Twilight? :confused:

Finger-bangin' Uncle Sam. I like James McAvoy, but GATdamn, this movie looks like an excuse to parade pretty young people past us.

I mean to say, I hope I'm wrong and will reserve judgment until I see something more substantial, but GATdamn.

How about they focus their efforts on the better X-Men comics then?

They don't HAVE to direct the movie around the comics made in the 1960s...
....They're not. Angst, teen or otherwise, has been a part of the X-Men from its inception to this very day. The characters from this movie are pulled from every last era of the book. I honestly don't know what you're criticising with that remark.

....They're not. Angst, teen or otherwise, has been a part of the X-Men from its inception to this very day. The characters from this movie are pulled from every last era of the book. I honestly don't know what you're criticising with that remark.
I have no problem with the angst, that's a staple of the X-men comics, I do however have an issue with the way the characters are "...pulled from every last era of the book..." Xavier and Magneeto should be much older than almost every character there and yet they are not. They are decided to make Havoc older than Cyclops, they are writing out all but one of the original X-men first class (the only one represented is Beast). When I heard they were doing a First Class movie I was excited to see the original five team members in action but sadly I really can't see how this can be anything other than a poorly thought out What If story. Matthew Vaughn is good but the only way I will be able to enjoy this movie is too ignore the fact that it's supposed to be an X-men movie. They are surely ignoring anything that has come before.

This will be full of fail.

I have no problem with the angst, that's a staple of the X-men comics, I do however have an issue with the way the characters are "...pulled from every last era of the book..." Xavier and Magneeto should be much older than almost every character there and yet they are not. They are decided to make Havoc older than Cyclops, they are writing out all but one of the original X-men first class (the only one represented is Beast). When I heard they were doing a First Class movie I was excited to see the original five team members in action but sadly I really can't see how this can be anything other than a poorly thought out What If story. Matthew Vaughn is good but the only way I will be able to enjoy this movie is too ignore the fact that it's supposed to be an X-men movie. They are surely ignoring anything that has come before.

This will be full of fail.
It is a prequel to the two Bryan Singer movies, about the "first class" of that particular alternate reality. Just like the previous x-flicks, it is giving its own version of the characters and situations while trying to keep the spirit of the comics (or the spirit of certain eras of the comics). Not necessarily poorly thought out, just differently thought out.

Realistically, for this film to be a prequel, it would never have had a comics accurate original five line-up. While they could have had Cyclops, Jean, and Beast, Storm was stated in the first movie to have joined around the same time as Cyke and Jean. Iceman would be right out, and Angel's involvement would have depended on whether they paid attention to Last Stand or not. What they decided to do instead was merge their "Magneto" prequel idea with that of their X-Men prequel idea to create a story that focused on Charles and Erik getting together and eventually going their separate ways. I'd imagine that the choice of characters for their first students together was bare-ass pragmatism - they can do whatever they want to most of these characters.

That said, I can see where that wouldn't appeal to some people. To say that this movie is random or poorly thought out is, however, to not accurately reflect what they're trying to do with this flick.

Also - this movie will be ignoring "X-Men: The Last Stand" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". Bryan Singer is producing this and he was not happy with how those movies turned out without his involvement. Emma Frost being roughly contemporary with Magneto and Xavier lines up rather nicely with his reportedly wanting her to be played by Signourney Weaver in X-Men 3, so there very well might be some kind of plan at work here.

I always check reviews by my peers, you know those who can enjoy an entertaining movie and won't get wood from watching shitty movies like Mystic River or The Hurt Locker. Needless to say I knew far ahead of time that Wolverine sucked a dick and I remember being disappointed because Wolverine is one of my favorite superheroes. I watched it recently and uhhhhh..... it was terribad.

X-Men 3 was clearly an inferior product to the first two but then again I wasn't huge on it anyways. Why? They fucked up a lot of characters... heck, they fucked up rogue. Why? Prolly cause they wanted Jean Grey to be the lady of the film... because if they would have cast rogue properly as the fully "grown" southern belle", I wouldn't have to watch an ackward teenage romance with a teen rogue and teen iceman.

Oh and no Gambit.... for SHAME.

P

Philosopher B.

Wolverine was a butt nugget coated in ass-shit and sautéed in fuck gravy.

Also - this movie will be ignoring "X-Men: The Last Stand" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". Bryan Singer is producing this and he was not happy with how those movies turned out without his involvement. Emma Frost being roughly contemporary with Magneto and Xavier lines up rather nicely with his reportedly wanting her to be played by Signourney Weaver in X-Men 3, so there very well might be some kind of plan at work here.
Why not ignore the others as well and start fresh? Why be bogged down by decisions made in previous versions? They would've been better off pulling a Nolan and starting from scrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.