Export thread

North_Ranger

Dave

Dave

This thread is for North_Ranger. (Please note the lack of tagging of the gent.)

Any negative comments will be put down ruthlessly.

Tell us what you think of the big guy and how much he means to you.

UPDATE (11/25/2013 @ 4:38 PM CST)

Donation buttons have been added to the top and in the sidebar. I'm trying to get them to go to the top but it's being difficult. Any donations go to @stienman and will show in your PayPal as going to MicroBasics (ubasics) so don't be alarmed. Also, the amount is not updating right away so if you give don't freak out when the number doesn't increment right away...like I did.

All money donated is going to be parsed out by Stienman for the best possible use of the money. Let's get as many people as we can to Turku, Finland!

UPDATE (11/25/2013 @ 5:07 PM CST)

Getting server errors for the Donation Manager thing. The donated amount is not incrementing as it should, but Stienman is getting the money as he's supposed to. I'm working with the dev to get this fixed.

grub

grub

I don't post often but last time I delurked, N_R was the only one to remember me. N_R always seemed to be one of the more reasonable Admins when he was able to hold the responsibility. I'm not sure when he first joined but I believe it was before my time, and I've been here for 8 years now. where can I donate?

edit:
Personally I've missed just "hearing" from him. He is one that I would like to hang with were I nearby. I don't drink but I'm sure we would enjoy a coffee together.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

North Ranger is not only one of the best people on the board, but one of the guys on here that - if he were well enough and I was in Finland - would absolutely go out for beers and such. He's a passionate, helpful, warm, giving kind of guy. And the kind of guy that must have Viking blood in his system because he sure as hell wouldn't let some stupid cancer beat him. He has too much pillaging left in his future.

Once I start working, I'd like to give into the N_R fund. That might not be for a couple of weeks.

Krisken

Krisken

North Ranger was one of the first people to welcome me to the old forums. He's always had a kind word for a new face, and I'm not being melodramatic when I say he's easily one of the best of us.

I've contacted WasabiPoptart and let her know about this. I know she lurks every couple of months to see how NR is doing.

Espy

Espy

I don't even know where to start, I've been so insanely busy lately I haven't been on the forum much so it was a shock to get this news today. It's weird when someone you've never met is doing really poorly, I mean, we don't really "know" each other but yet he's been a part of my life, an online friend for man, how many years? 9? I don't even know. All I now is that hearing this news is tearing me up. I don't even know how to handle it, but all I can think about is conversations we had and jokes we made and all the pics of his smiling face, all decked out in his ren fest gear.

I'm praying him and his family because I honestly don't know what else to do other than be miserable.[DOUBLEPOST=1385417093,1385417047][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I would go visit him in a heartbeat if I had a way, but I don't know how on earth I could pull it off.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm able to donate money to someone's going, and also able, willing (and would love to!) go.

North_Ranger's a friend; as I see any one of you here as a friend. There is so much in the world that I do not know. There is a phenomenal amount knowledge, experience, wisdom, accident, wonder that I have met, and still somehow and inconceivably greater amount that I will never encounter. I try to humble myself with learning and re-learning, re-reading -and upon doing so, having a new or changed perception of the work- and ever in the back of mind recalling the Socratic convention, "All I know is that I know nothing..."

But there is something I refuse to doubt; one thing I believe in great and unstoppable conviction, which is that love is external to me, and bigger than me, and that relationships are meaningful in that love. And I have, upon personal experience, found that as Aurelius wrote, "Look within. Within is the fountain of the good, and it will ever bubble up, if thou wilt ever dig." For the sake of my friends, I try to ever dig, and ever provide this good, this loving experience, of sharing time and jokes, and tastes and arguments and quiet grins and rolled eyes.

North_Ranger has, whether he knows the extent of impact or not, been a reason to ever dig.

He brings levity, strangeness, wonderful openness, and character to our forum; and our lives. We are fortunate for his long company.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

North Ranger has ever been one of my favorite people on this forum. His quirky sense of humor, friendliness and general good humor has been a source of amusement to me, whenever he's had some snarky comment to add.

This whole situation horrifies me with how it's gone. I loved it when we all came together at the beginning and got him the X-Box et al - it showed me just how tight-knit this community is.

If I were even REMOTELY able to go, I would go in a New York minute to stand by his side. Alas, money, passport and impending baby make it so this just isn't an option.

If I can shake even ten cents free from this holiday season, I will donate to the fund in a heartbeat. I truly hope that we can get a motivator from our group to do this.

... Just.... fuck. I'm with Dave on this one. FUCK.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Love me some Northy. He's sweet, kind and funny. He was one of the first forumites who gave me a chuckle and made me decide to sign up on halfpixel. He also looks unbelievably adorable in suspenders.

Chippy

Chippy

Fuck cancer.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

North_Ranger has been someone on here who's always been willing to share about himself and stand up for others when needed. And throughout this whole ordeal he's been in, he's been one of the bravest people I've known.

Hylian

Hylian

Man I have no idea what to say, it feels like anything I do say won't even begin to touch on what I want to say/how I feel. All I do know is that North_Ranger has always been a cheerful and fun person to chat with and he has also seemed to me a person of great strength.

Zappit

Zappit

One of the most decent, down to earth folks I've never met in person. I've known Ranger since the PvP boards, and was one of the reasons I wanted to stick around. He's braver than most, and a damn fun guy.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

N_R is one of the handful of people on here that I have wished I could meet in real life. He has always been one of my favorite posters. He's got a great sense of humor and isn't afraid to tell someone they are absolutely wrong. When he found out about the cancer, he kept his chin up even when things were tough. He planned to live his life rather than to dwell on the end of it. It really said something about his character, imo.
Like Krisken said, I have been lurking on N_R's thread for a few months now just to see how he's been doing. I wish I was able to go to Finland because I would be on a plane asap if I could. How long will you be taking donations?

Dave

Dave

N_R is one of the handful of people on here that I have wished I could meet in real life. He has always been one of my favorite posters. He's got a great sense of humor and isn't afraid to tell someone they are absolutely wrong. When he found out about the cancer, he kept his chin up even when things were tough. He planned to live his life rather than to dwell on the end of it. It really said something about his character, imo.

Like Krisken said, I have been lurking on N_R's thread for a few months now just to see how he's been doing. I wish I was able to go to Finland because I would be on a plane asap if I could. How long will you be taking donations?
As long as it takes to get someone there for him.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Ok. I have to see what our finances look like after pay day.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I need to wait until payday (Wednesday) and look over my bills. Right now I'm 162 in the hole but I'll try to help

BErt

It sounds silly, but being included in North_Ranger's sketch of everyone's avatars way back was what first made me feel like part of the forum. He's a really funny and open guy, and he's always one of the first handful of names in mind when I think of this place. I'll give what I can as soon as I can.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

This is going to sound really silly, but when I joined the forums years and years back, I was just coming back from spending my real formative years of high school in Europe, and somehow I found myself really, really out of step with everyone else but also weirdly not "foreign" enough to fit in with the actual foreign students.

N_R was one of the folks who welcomed me to the PVP forums, and almost immediately we found ourselves in common cause during one of GB's original political threads. Just knowing that there were people with at least some shared experiences who also reveled in geekery was extremely comforting to me at a time when I was feeling very homesick.

N_R (among many others I eventually met here) is one of the main reasons I stuck around.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

An addendum to what I said before, and bouncing off everyone else:

I equate North Ranger to Martian Manhunter. He's the glue that keeps everything together. :)

bhamv3

bhamv3

I don't have a bad word to say about North Ranger, and I doubt anyone here ever will. He's a genuinely nice guy, he's intelligent, funny, and rational. He can bring down the mod hammer when he (rarely) needs to, but he's also part of so many antics.

One of my favorite antics was when he and Calleja had a rumble-and-tumble fight through a whole bunch of threads in the PvP forums. That was awesome. :D

Shawn

Shawn

I see North Ranger participate widely across these forums. And the thing that I always take from it is that he's always in a good mood. Always has something constructive to say. Always thinking positively. The man does not have a cruel bone in his body. And he certainly never ever ever comes across as someone else would in the same situation.
We love you, NR

Jay

Jay

I'll freely admit that my interactivity with NR hasn't been a whole lot over the years and honestly I don't know why. Mostly because, I guess, we didn't have similar interests nor did he annoy me to get my ire. I've seen his posts over the years and felt a certain level of respect for him as a person and have nothing negative to say about him.

I'm sorry for see that things aren't panning out and I'd be happy to help what I can. Obviously, I don't live in Europe.

This is a sad day for Halforums a day where we all collectively need to pull for an old friend in his time in need.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I can't do much but echo what's already been said.

I just wish there was a way to let previously active members who have dropped off for one reason or another know what's going on.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My first memorable interaction with North Ranger was him sending me a private message all those years ago because I was nasty to him (shock and surprise, I know) in a thread, and he wanted to see if he had inadvertently offended me about something. We spent many of the subsequent years locking horns, and I think he even put me on ignore at some point. Obviously that had to end when he became a mod, but aside from a few hot buttons I naturally couldn't stop jamming my finger on at every opportunity, at all times before-and-after his elevation, North_Ranger has been friendly, and cheerful, and polite, and professional. It's no wonder we got off on such a wrong foot. I was, and largely am still, a colossal jerk and asshole - though Villain Decay gets us all at some point and I think I've not been an exception. But over the years, NR's inner light has not diminished a single lumen, and we even have civil conversations. Heck, he even has put positive ratings on my posts (and not just the funny picture ones). This guy. Very high road. Such classy. Wow.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I have to admit, @GasBandit, that I don't think you're nearly as much an asshole as your younger days. I'd never heard the term Villain Decay before, but I think it applies to you.

Of course, I tend to steer clear of the political threads, so I could be completely wrong. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have to admit, @GasBandit, that I don't think you're nearly as much an asshole as your younger days. I'd never heard the term Villain Decay before, but I think it applies to you.

Of course, I tend to steer clear of the political threads, so I could be completely wrong. :p
Villain Decay is what happened to The Shredder from the first couple episodes of the 80's TMNT to - well, what he eventually became. I hesitate to continue to talk about myself in the N_R thread, but I know I've mellowed. I blame a combination of aging, switching to decaf, not having as much free time to post/argue as long as I want, and the love of a good woman.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm not good at these sorts of things, but I'll try.

My life is certainly richer for HF having been in it. In no small part thanks to N_R. I've lost count how many times his contributions here and there have dragged me out of the dumps with a fit of giggles. :)

He's why I keep this picture at the ready...

Just Me

Just Me

My heart and my thoughts go out to N_R. His wit, his fire, his passion, his pride I always liked in his posts. All these also were what made him heimself.
I admired him for his brilliant grasp of english, so much more even because his native language is utterly different from it; and also because he could put more thoughtful words and his great sense of humor down perfectly in a strange language much better than I can in my own native tongue.

He's a great person, I'm honoured to 'know' him and I wish I could travel up north, but unfortunately that's not possible.

Come friday a donation will be sent!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I don't post a ton. I come here in an ebb and flow of life. It feels like the Image forum has been whittled down to just a hand full. We've also added a few in that time. I feel oddly close to those that remain (even to some who have left), despite language, cultural, and political differences.

I don't remember when I first encountered North_Ranger. His moniker is as old to me as Edrondol, GasBandit, that smoking baby, JCM and so many others. I admire his positive outlook. I've enjoyed his, for lack of a better word, spirit on these boards. I've felt that if I was in Finland, he'd gladly open his home to any of us. I consider him a friend whether he knows it or not. He's been on my mind a lot lately. I feel odd sometimes that I feel so much about a guy that I have never met in person, but I feel like I know so much about him through this site. I hope and wish the best for him and his family.

North_Ranger, some guy in Oklahoma has cried and prayed for you and really does care about you.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I want to be encouraging and uplifting, but I just feel sad all the time now. Sad about everything and everyone that has had a raw deal in life.

But North_Ranger? He's not sad, he keeps a positive outlook on everything. Hang in there, buddy, Burlew's got some story left to tell!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'll freely admit that my interactivity with NR hasn't been a whole lot over the years and honestly I don't know why. Mostly because, I guess, we didn't have similar interests nor did he annoy me to get my ire. I've seen his posts over the years and felt a certain level of respect for him as a person and have nothing negative to say about him.
It's almost like you wrote what I was thinking.

Finances are tight, passport has expired, hate TSA. That said, I will still chip in what I can so that our duly elected representative may carry our message.

--Patrick

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

This is going to be real anticlimactic when our halforumite reaches Finland, knocks on the door and....

JCM answers. "ALT. GOT YA!"

PatrThom

PatrThom

"ALT. GOT YA!"
Ooo, risky. But I liked it.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

North_Ranger, I've always admired you - your humour, your intelligence, your strength, your dignity. You're a gentleman and a gentle man and we are blessed to know you.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'm not sure exactly when I first knew North Ranger either, but it was during the Image days. I always thought he was a nice, funny, guy. A few years ago I was going through a very rough time in my personal life, and he was always there to cheer me up. Now he's in a bad spot so I'll make a donation soon.

Dave

Dave

UPDATE!!

If you are willing and able to journey at a short notice to Finland (and have a relationship with North_Ranger, not just trying to get a free vacation), please let me or @stienman know ASAP!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm honestly tempted to go. I won't have anything to do come the new year, since the job I just got is seasonal. Plus, I could bring the viking a signed copy of my book. :)

strawman

strawman

It is with heavy heart that I announce the passing of our dear friend Mikko Metsälä, known to us as North_Ranger. He passed away earlier today, November 27th, 2013 at 17:40 Finnish time (10:40am EST).

His father sent me the following message to relay to Halforums:

I am Mikko's dad Timo Metsälä and I am using his e-mail.

Today at 17:40 Finnish time Mikko's 30 years path ended in hospital and he moved into the home in heaven. He was very grateful of cooperation with you and all people in your group.
In last days he remembered you - his friends.

With great missing - Mikko's parents , one sister and one brother with their families.

I will inform you more on next days and hope that you inform his other friends.

My e-mail is metsala.timo@gmail.com and we will also read his email mikko.metsala@gmail.com

With a heavy heart.

Mikko's parents Leila and Timo Metsälä

Ps sorry my poor english on Ipad.

Dave

Dave

Fuck.

N_R, this place was just too damned good for you.

Espy

Espy

Rest in peace Ranger. You are missed by many.

My daughter is sleeping on me right now and I'm trying hard not to wake her up as I'm crying. This just... This is so wrong. It's so damn wrong.

strawman

strawman

As indicated in the other thread, North_Ranger has passed on. When I responded to NR's father I indicated that we had gathered some money for a visit, and offered to send it to them if it would help with the funeral or other costs associated with his passing.

If you want a refund since it's no longer possible to use the money as intended, please PM me, do not attempt to request a refund through paypal.

If NR's family doesn't want the money then it will be refunded, and you need do nothing.

If I do not hear from you I assume you accept sending your donation to North_Ranger's family if they allow it.

Krisken

Krisken

:(

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This is hitting me a lot harder than I thought it would. We all knew it was coming, but still...

Krisken

Krisken

Well shit.

North Ranger, wherever you are, we were a better place just by having you in it. May your sauna never run out of steam. :(

Dave

Dave

There's something in Finnish called a suruadressi. These are sympathy cards that are read at the wake. I think it would be nice if we got a bunch. I'm sending one.

Timo Metsälä
Kaivokatu 8 C 48
20500 Turku
Finland

Something else. I've contacted Chaz and let him know. If he wants to come in and say a few words it's cool with me. He also knew NR a long time and he deserved to know as well.

Just Me

Just Me

Go forth and bring the joy and fun you gave to us and your family and friends to another place. You are missed!
Godspeed, DJ Ham Sammich, Ranger of the North.
:( *with tears in my eyes*

Emrys

Emrys

Lord and Lady, watch over our friend and guide him to his rest.

We love you, N_R, and will miss you so much.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Good night, buddy. Sleep well.

See you on the flip side one day.

Hylian

Hylian

Fuck.......:(

Mathias

Mathias

Rest in peace you magnificent bastard. We had our moments, but you were a good dude and you will be missed.

Espy

Espy

There's something in Finnish called a suruadressi. These are sympathy cards that are read at the wake. I think it would be nice if we got a bunch. I'm sending one.

Timo Metsälä
Kaivokatu 8 C 48
20500 Turku
Finland
This is a great idea.

Hylian

Hylian

Fuck.....life just isn't fair :(

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

It feels so...odd. And I feel terribly sad. N_R and I didn't personally talk a whole lot, but I enjoyed reading conversations he had with others.

He got me a huge plush fox for Secret Santa last year and I was so happily shocked (it was before I had had my many talks about foxes on here) that someone could just...get me, without really knowing me.

I'm glad I have you all here to mourn with me.

May you finally find comfort and a painless sleep, N_R.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

This is a great idea.
Most definitely. Since the links I found by Googling are all in Finnish, do you know if there is there a cultural protocol to those cards, @Dave?

Mathias

Mathias

If Halforums was the Ghostbusters, North Ranger would have been Ray Stanz. He is one of a select few persons I'd consider to be the heart of this community. We had some awful recent history, but overall I had respect for the guy. He was a passionate man who loved teaching and shared his many interests with us all. We are all better for having met North.

Rest in peace, my friend, you live on in our memories.

Dirona

Dirona

fuck fuckity fuck fuck.
My thoughts are with his family, it's horrible to out-live your child.
At least he's not in pain anymore.
fuck.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Crap.

Mikko, you will be missed.

jwhouk

jwhouk

As indicated in the other thread, North_Ranger has passed on. When I responded to NR's father I indicated that we had gathered some money for a visit, and offered to send it to them if it would help with the funeral or other costs associated with his passing.

If you want a refund since it's no longer possible to use the money as intended, please PM me, do not attempt to request a refund through paypal.

If NR's family doesn't want the money then it will be refunded, and you need do nothing.

If I do not hear from you I assume you accept sending your donation to North_Ranger's family if they allow it.
It's only US$20. Give it to them with my sympathies.

Frank

Frank

Shit.

Fuck cancer.

Rest in Peace NR.

Bones

Bones

Vaya Con Dios North Ranger, may your rest be peaceful...

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't even know what to say.

We can pontificate about whether or not online friends are really friends at all, but the feelings that I"m having right now indicate that they are.

The world is a little less bright today.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

I um... shit. We didn't talk much, but its hitting hard for me.

RIP, man. gonna miss you. and your thread saunas.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, crap. Rest well, North_Ranger. I hope you're at a perfect Ren Faire for all time.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Well, damn, I was gonna *still will* toss a sawbuck or two towards this after I got home. If his folks don't want any money, buy a nice bunch flowers or whatever the customs are over there.

Shakey

Shakey

Damn. He was a great guy who helped make this place as great as it is today. Like many have said, it's an odd feeling to be so affected by the loss of someone you've never met before. I think that alone says a lot about how great of a guy he was.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

This has hit me harder than I expected it to. He was good, heartful. It will not be the same...

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Rest in peace our raggedy man. My prayers are with his family.

Bowielee

Bowielee

This forum would not even exist in its current incarnation without NR.

I'm incredibly saddened by this.

Zappit

Zappit

Godspeed, Mikko. You were incredibly kind, brave, and gracious to the end, and you will be missed terribly. Farewell, might mod!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

You will be missed our northern friend. You touched others with your life, your passion and your heart. Godspeed Mikko.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Godspeed North_Ranger. You will be missed.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Rest in peace, Mikko. You will be missed.

Calleja

Calleja

Fuck. Just... fuck.

You guys probably don't know this, or maybe some of you closer to N_R do, but that guy sent me the best fucking emails when I was having a shitty time, he really helped me see things from a different perspective, oh so many years ago, and I never forgot that. I'm so fucking bummed that I was sure he was gonna beat this that I didn't ...pay enough attention or ..y'know. He knew that I thought he was one of the best humans on this planet, but I still feel like I should've told him more.

I'm sorry for your loss, guys. I know how hard this can hit.

Gared

Gared

Rest in Peace, my friend.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

I posted this elsewhere, I'll post it here:

No man should pass into the next realm with nary a whisper, so it is for that reason I post this update.

My online friend, known by me and many others as North_Ranger, passed away earlier today at 17:40 Finnish time. He had been battling cancer for the past few years, and I'm serious when I say battling; this was a true viking of a man.

He always kept an upbeat demeanor and it always sounded like things were getting better. But recently things took a turn for the worse and it became a situation where it was either a matter of years or a matter of days. It was so sudden that barely anyone got to give him a last round of support.

So in lieu of support, here is my goodbye:

N_R, you were a hell of a man and far stronger than I could ever hope to be. You dealt with a terrible situation for years and kept a smile on your face all the way through. I always looked up to how strong you were, and hate that the world has been robbed of such a man. I know you're still kicking ass in the Hall of Vikings.

Godspeed, you pantsless bastard.

HowDroll

HowDroll

Oh, man. I saw this on Facebook a little while ago.

Godspeed, N_R. You were an awesome guy and you will be sorely missed.

BErt

Rest well, good sir. You will be greatly missed.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Farewell and respect, N_R. Your absence will be resounding.

Holy Knickers

Holy Knickers

N_R was well loved and respected. He had great character and a big heart. He was able to effortlessly make everyone else have a good time. I think it goes without saying that he will be greatly missed.

HowDroll

HowDroll

I am really, truly devastated that I never got to redeem this coupon (received as part of my Secret Santa gift from N_R a few years ago) in person. I still have it and everything -- was even seriously thinking about swinging by Finland on my trip to Europe this summer.

I feel like he would have given awesome hugs. We exchanged enough virtual ones on the forums here over the years, but it's not the same.

*hug* to you, buddy.

PIC_0080.JPG

Tress

Tress

I had been trying to think of the right thing to say for my message to N_R, and now this... I'm just at a total loss. I will miss him dearly.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm incredibly sad, but this isn't something to be mourned. Do you know why? Because goddammit, that man fought for the last 2+ years and never let it beat him - at least mentally. At least on here, he always had a positive, fighting attitude about it, constantly trying to keep his spirits up and still doing his best to interact with us and showing how much he cared. I'm sure we've all heard of people who have either given up, lost hope, etc. But North Ranger? Never gave up. He got angry or upset and with good reason when he was given bad news about his deteriorating health, but he kept fighting. Like a proud man with viking heritage should do.

His life isn't one to be mourned.

It's to be celebrated.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

All this time, his name was similar to the lady ninja in Sin City? Now I'll never get the chance to tease him about it, calling him Deadly Little Mikko or something.
(I say this in jest. I'm certain he would've laughed at that.)

I just found out when I logged in after getting home. Just sitting here crying. Just...it's not fair. He was one of the most positive, hilarious guys on here with a great sense of humour. Yeah, he got upset over things like sauna pants sometimes or other things, but we all get upset over little things sometimes. The guy fought and fought and fought, always with a smile on his face (at least on here).

It's just...it's not fair. It's not fair that we have to lose someone like that.

I'll miss you, you viking bastard. I hope they have amazing saunas up there you can enjoy.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I saw the post on Twitter/Facebook, and starting sobbing. North_Ranger and I weren't close, I'm not sure we ever even changed PMs, but I had great respect and affection for him.

In a very strange way I consider Halforums to be family. You guys have put up with more of my shit, while still wanting me around, than anyone outside my nuclear family. N_R is a Halforumite; so goodbye my brother, you will be missed.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I was just browsing my facebook and was hoping I drastically misinterpreted the message. My heart stopped in my chest.

I don't even know what to say. I knew he was sick...but, for what ever reason, I never actually considered the possibility that such a young, nice man would actually die. He was one of the people on this forum that I loved the most.

I will miss him sorely.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Cannot stop crying. I really thought that somehow he would make it through. I will miss him so much. See you later, Milkko.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I wish I could think of something uplifting and positive to post. I never had the pleasure of knowing N_R in person, but we interacted a lot on the forum. He was always so positive and good hearted, a counterpoint to my usual cynicism. He will be greatly missed.

Just... fuck.

Gusto

Gusto

I don't even know what to say. It's surprising in a good way I think that Mikko was able to affect us all this much.

I'll miss the hell out of him.

Eriol

Eriol

Rest in peace. I wish I'd known him better.

Telephius

Telephius

Peaceful resting, Ranger from the North.

Cajungal

Cajungal

He made me laugh. Better, when he said something kind, he made me feel comforted. There was such a sweetness about him.

The internet can be a cold place filled with people who whine about losing all faith in humanity. He proved that this was a ridiculous notion. That's what this place is for me in general. We're lucky to have one another, and we're lucky to have known him as long as we did.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I've read through this thread and I keep thinking "Gee, I wonder what North Ranger is gonna say about all this." :(

RIP

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

This is hitting me a lot harder than I thought it would. We all knew it was coming, but still...
I know what you mean. I'm struggling to hold back the floodgates, this really is hitting me bad.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I know what you mean. I'm struggling to hold back the floodgates, this really is hitting me bad.
I gave up holding it back awhile ago. Just let it all out in the privacy of my room.

Dave

Dave

Some pictures the Big Guy posted.

He loved to go to the Ren Faire. He took a lot of pictures, but is in none of them!

k2_ 028.JPG k2_ 055.JPG k2_ 068.JPG k2_ 093.JPG k2_ 186.JPG k33_ 043.JPG k33_ 045.JPG

He would occasionally draw us. And if you were in the picture, it meant so much.

skannaa0002.jpg

Him cutting the cheese! (His words, not mine!!)

2012_Xmas_ Cut the cheese.JPG

And finally, Mikko hanging out with the impossibly handsome @Baerdog!

IMG_0245.JPG

God love ya, Mikko. While I celebrate the fact that I could know you, my world is a bit dimmer now that your light is gone.

Kuva0244.jpg

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I hope I get to see you again in whatever Heaven you're in now, Mikko.

Oh geez, I finally lost it while writing that. You were brave through the whole thing, and I can only hope I can face my end with half the dignity and grace you showed.

Adam

Adam

Godspeed.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I'm utterly in shock. I can't even think of anything to say right now. My condolences to his family and to all of us who cared about N_R.

I've got to go make my brain work enough so I can bake a cake for tomorrow. Perkele.

drifter

drifter

Rest in peace you sonuvagun. If I had a tankard of mead, I'd be pouring one out for you.

Enresshou

Enresshou

I'm holding it together for a few days while some friends are here, but it'll all be coming out on Sunday. I'll miss you, Mikko, and I can only pray that I can meet whatever life gives with the cheer, strength and optimism that you radiated. A bit trite, but I'll think of you whenever I read this from now on:

"Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die." -Mary Elizabeth Frye

Zappit

Zappit

I regret never finishing the Henry VIII strips. NR loved the first one and was always trying to get me to finish that mini-biography. I went looking for those handwritten scripts yesterday, when I saw the fundraiser thread. Thought I'd put a rush job on finishing it, but now...

bhamv3

bhamv3

God dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit.

Fuck.

I don't even have the words to express how I'm feeling, man.

God dammit this is so fucking unfair.

Rest in peace, Mikko. In your honor, I shall destroy every pair of sauna pants I ever see in my life.

Zappit

Zappit

In a very strange way I consider Halforums to be family. You guys have put up with more of my shit, while still wanting me around, than anyone outside my nuclear family. N_R is a Halforumite; so goodbye my brother, you will be missed.
It's because we are a family, Pez. That's why this hurts so bad. We've had a lot of folks come and go, but this is the first time we've lost a member of our family, and it was one of our best.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Mikko was a man of great integrity and character, and the world will be poorer for his passing.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

N_R, you will be sorely missed. Rest well friend.

Denbrought

Denbrought

May he rest in peace, he was a good man :(

Denbrought

Denbrought

A decade ago or so, when I joined the old phpBB forum, I was an asocial barely-teen ass that wouldn't know what kinship was if it hit him in the face. N_R was one of the people that showed me there was more to human dialogue than what a cardboard-stills world. N_R was one of the people that defined my concept of community during my formative years. He was an adult that I could look up to as a role-model, but also have as a peer and friend. I can't put into words how much good he did, how very little it took yet how much of an effect it had.

I regret not having been around. I regret not having had the foresight to tell him any of this. This is frustrating.

Frank

Frank

I was reading that last exchange between N_R and TommiR in the Wacky Tumor thread and I cracked. It got me. Dude is gonna be missed.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Perkele. :(

He's up there planning revenge for every sauna pants joke.

Something involving beer, I just know it. :)

General Specific

General Specific

I never really interacted w/ North Ranger much, but he was always one of the people I respected immensely on this board. I knew that if we had met in real life that he would have been as great in person as he was online.

I can't really put into words how sad I am that he is now gone.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I just found out about this. I literally cannot stop sobbing like a kid right now.

Mikko, you wonderful, friendly, ferocious, fantastic man. I wish upon everything I hold dear that I'd had a chance to talk to you more. You indulged my questions about Finland, helped me along when I asked for it, and did everything with a smile on your face.

Fuck... not a drop of alcohol in the house to celebrate your life properly.

Til Valhall! HAKAA PÄÄLE!

KCWM

KCWM

Well.....fuck.

Krisken

Krisken

Oh shit! Galan, I'm sorry I forgot to let you know! I've been trying to hit up some former forumites and infrequent visitors to let them know and I totally spaced. Sorry man!

FnordBear

FnordBear

I wanted to say something light hearted to show my respect and condolences...but everything I thought of felt wrong. I hope he finds the peace that eludes us all in life.

klew

klew

I usually stay out of the serious talk on the boards, preferring to interact with you (or lurk, most of the time) as part of the casual and light-hearted part of the day. NR was always in the mix, playing with the new and old members members alike. We never had a real conversation, but it was enough to know that I'll miss having him around.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Perkele. :(

He's up there planning revenge for every sauna pants joke.

Something involving beer, I just know it. :)

As long as there is no piss in my coffee like he threatened me with once when I was teasing him about sauna pants!

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Roads go ever ever on
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea.
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.​
Roads go ever ever on
Under clouds and under stars,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone,
Look at last on meadows green,
And trees and hills they have long known.​
- JRR Tolkien​
Good Journey into the West...​

LordRendar

LordRendar

Goodbye, my Finnish friend. Over the years,though I never met you, have through uplifting comments,friendly advice and become a person I admired.

I am sad to hear of your passing and I shall light a candle in your name during mass this sunday.
May Valkeries carry you, and provide you with lots of beer.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

This is when I knew I had become a part of the family, when he drew me about to take a bite out of @Vytamindi 's panda. :)
Halforumites.jpg

Timmus

Timmus

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

ugh

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Bowielee

Bowielee

This is when I knew I had become a part of the family, when he drew me about to take a bite out of @Vytamindi 's panda. :)
View attachment 13144
I remember being so excited that I was in this one. I also completely forgot that I had the NPH avatar.

Terrik

Terrik

I literally jumped when I saw this thread. I was really hoping it was a mistake. This greatly saddens me. You'll be greatly missed.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

I made it into both. Man. I'ma miss that big lug.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Just went and read some of the Wacky Tumor Thread again (the title was so disarming....), and I just can't get over how positive he was, to the very end.

I honestly looked up to him. I could not believe that he was going through such shit and agony and still maintaining to be as positive as he was. I always feared that if anything like that happened to me, I would curl up into a sniveling bitch.

But not N_R. Man was tough as nails and as soft as a kitten. I wish he could read this from Viking heaven, but N_R, you know you touched a lot of lives here, but let me affirm that I when I strive to be a stronger person, I actively think about you as a roll model. You lived over 2 years of nothing but bad days and still came out smiling.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Not cool, Universe.

Not cool. Ugh.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

The pictures are great, Julie.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

Rest in peace Mikko. Heavens gain is our loss.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Reposting because of MC Ham Sammich...

Rob King

Rob King

Hey guys,

Most of you guys might not remember me; I haven't been on Halforums in a few years at this point, and even when I was on every day I wasn't a huge poster.

I saw mention of North Ranger's passing on Facebook and Tumblr and I thought it would be appropriate to log in and express my condolences here. Sorry if I get a little wordy. I'm actually at a coffee shop right now and trying hard not to tear up too bad.

Halforums was a huge part of some very formative years in my life during my early university career, and North Ranger was a huge part of that. As insecure and immature as I was (am?), I think he was the one monkey in this barrel who absolutely every time, without fail, made me feel more confident in myself, and made me feel like I was an important part of the Halforums family. Even after drifting from Halforums, I've occasionally referenced a few of you in conversations with IRL friends and family, but none more than North Ranger, who I always explain as "My Finnish Doppleganger plus a few years."

It's not uncommon to hear this kind of sentiment expressed at times like this, but I don't think I realized how much I missed Halforums--North Ranger specifically--until this morning when I realized it was suddenly too late to ever do anything about it. I heard he was sick only a few weeks ago, and had been meaning to drop in and wish him well. I procrastinate basically every aspect of my life, but that's one I'm going to regret for a good while, I think.

As I'm sure is true for others, tokens have been a big thing in my family; little gestures, objects or events that happen semi-frequently in regular life that are tied to some sort of meaning. An upturned knife reminds me of my maternal grandfather; two birds standing together is my mother. It's a small comfort to know that for several years already (and probably for the rest of my life), I haven't been able to look at, think of, or hear the word "sauna" without thinking of North Ranger.

Anyhow, keep strong Halforums family, and rest in peace Mikko.

Dave

Dave

I remember you, Rob. And I sent a message to N_R's dad letting him know how many lives he touched. The big fella was loved by a lot and his family knows it. Glad you stopped by, dude.

Jay

Jay

THIS IS THE SHIT I WAKE UP TO?!!?

U2Bci.gif

I'm feeling far too emotional for this and I need to work. I think I'll post my thoughts about this later.

Fuck, why am I crying?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hail the mighty warrior. RIP Mikko.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

When I saw the news, it just jumped into my head;

"He's not dead, he's just pining for the fjords."

Then I laughed and laughed and laughed. Even in death he gave me one last laugh.

So long Mikko and thanks for all the pants.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I've never really interacted with many people here much (I mostly lurk) but it's sad to see this happen to someone who was so upbeat with everything that was going on with him.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I may not have known him well, but I enjoyed his posts and commentary. He will be missed.

General Specific

General Specific

I suggest every Nov 27th from here to eternity be known as International Sauna Pants Day in remembrance of our friend.

Edit: I am updating this post to say that it has been revealed to me that this actually did bother NR, so I no longer endorse this plan. Please read further into the thread. Thanks.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I suggest every Nov 27th from here to eternity be known as International Sauna Pants Day in remembrance of our friend.
I felt I should have been pantless last night. I had some Finnish vodka in his honour.

Oh man. It is a real loss.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I've been thinking about this post he made, in Jay's thread "Are you afraid of dying?" I'll repost it here in full:

To give a longer answer... there is a part of me that fears death. It is for quite a simple reason: Let's be honest here, for most of you folks here (with the obvious exception of @Officer_Charon , for instance [I salute you, sir]), the danger of death is mostly an abstract concept at your stage in life. It's something that will happen, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. For me, it's been a little different ever since the doctors told me the best they can do is try to contain my cancer, and that there might be a point in future where we would have to consider whether it would be better to let the disease take its course or keep taking the meds, even if they cause serious side effects.

In other words, death is not an abstract concept for me. I know I am going to kick the bucket well before turning gray. What I don't know is when that will be. A year from now? Two years? Five? Ten? Twenty? That will all depend on how well I react to treatment, and how long it is viable to keep treating me.

As such... well, I fear death if it comes suddenly, as a result of a new stroke that knocks me out of the game. It is very much unlikely with my current medication, but I know the danger is there. I have considered writing goodbye letters and my last will and testament, but as long as I believe I can remain alive I have postponed such concerns for another day. If there ever is a "you only have X months to live", then I will do such things. Until then, I try to focus on living, or "enlightened hedonism", as I call it. I enjoy good food and drink as much as I am able, partake in movies and video games, and both play and GM a game that I have found to my liking. I know I can't do all the things I used to be able to, but what I can do, I will do as long as I can.

The alternative? Contemplating mortality? Yeah, not gonna happen. Finns are already known for being f***ing melancholic and prone to suicide (I blame the weather, really), so I'll leave that shit to other people. The way I figure, if I kept thinking about death all the time, I would ruin what time I had left. And seeing as it's probably not gonna be one where I get to be a cranky octogenarian, I'd rather do something else, thank you very much.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a DVD of Shaun of the Dead in my living room along with a bowl of chips, and they're not gonna hold a movie night on their own :D
Think I'll watch Shaun of the Dead tonight.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

You know what.... that sounds like a plan

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

O man, citizenship of this great world-city has been yours. Whether for five years or fivescore, what is that to you? Whatever the law of that city decrees is fair to one and all alike. Wherein, then, is your grievance? You are not ejected from the city by any unjust judge or tyrant, but by the selfsame Nature which brought you into it; just as when an actor is dismissed by the manager who engaged him. 'But I have played no more than three of the five acts.' Just so; in your drama of life, three acts are all the play. Its point of completeness is determined by him who formerly sanctioned your creation, and today sanctions your dissolution. Neither of those decisions lay within yourself. Pass on your way, then, with a smiling face, under the smile of him who bids you go.

--Marcus Aurelius, Meditations. Book 12, 36.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Well fuck... :(.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...shit. Just a week ago he was shit-talking the Sinfest forums and now he's gone. Mikko, wherever you are know that I'll miss you.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Of course this came on my iPod. Of course it fucking did.

Cog

Cog

I don't know what to say. It's amazing how many people care about him without knowing him in person. He will be missed

If you would like to make someone you love happy, tell them today.
In life brother, in life.
If you want to give someone a flower, don’t wait until they die. Send it today with love.
Don’t wait to show someone you live them until they die. Tell them today.
You will always be happy, if you learn to make those around you happy.
Don’t visit cemeteries, nor fill tombs with flowers.
Instead, fill hearts with love. In life brother, in life.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Last night, I went to my neighbor's house (because I finally have neighbors that I actually like) and talked with her for a while. She has a 2 month old baby. He likes being held a lot, so I sometimes give her a hand when her husband is working late by holding the baby while she wrangles her toddler. The baby fell asleep on me which is very unusual for him. I sat on her couch, holding this little guy against my chest and thinking about Mikko's passing. She asked if I wanted her to take him, but I said I'd like to snuggle with him for a bit longer. I felt so much more peaceful than I had while I was at home.

Mikko touched us just by being a part of our virtual family. He loved life. He didn't let himself get preoccupied about his eventual death. He wanted to be alive for as long as he could keep going. He didn't want to depend on someone for his care which I think bothered him more than anything else. Though if any one he knew needed help he would have been there for them in any way he could. Many of us have heavy hearts because of our loss. Today, I am choosing to celebrate Mikko for the light he shone into our lives and the laughter we shared. I think he would have wanted that.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Mikko was a terrible moderator because he was the nicest human on the planet. In my memory there is no HF without him. Of all the ridiculous bullshit in the world, the fact that I'm still around typing this and he is gone has to top the list. He deserved so much more: he earned his place in humanity the way most of us don't, and it's a sick, sick joke that he had to leave. He was the best of this place and one of the best people I ever knew. And he's just achieved what most people can never do: shut me up in the middle of a ramble because I just don't have any more words. I love you, North Ranger.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Mikko was a terrible moderator because he was the nicest human on the planet.
Heh. Damn right

In my memory there is no HF without him. Of all the ridiculous bullshit in the world, the fact that I'm still around typing this and he is gone has to top the list. He deserved so much more: he earned his place in humanity the way most of us don't, and it's a sick, sick joke that he had to leave.
Similar thoughts have wandered through my mind since I heard. It does seem unfair -I mean, what's fair, but, it seems like someone so full of enjoyment, real pleasure in life, to be stricken from it... Is somehow so wrong. I suppose this is just my naive cry of "Where's the justice in that?" in the end, but... where is the justice in that?

Thanks for coming by and sharing

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Can we not? Even though it was in jest, that ongoing joke honestly did bother him. I asked him about it once in private. A large part of it was, because of his deteriorating health, he couldn't go to one of Finland's amazing saunas. So the sauna pants thing rubbed him the wrong way in that case.

EDIT: Found it. I asked him what the story was behind the running gag. Here's what he said:

Basically someone posted a while back a picture of these kind of inflatable rubber pants that are supposed to help you loose weight and relax, something akin to sauna on the go.

I went in (as a joke, then) calling them an abomination and an insult to a proper sauna - which, to be honest, I think they are. One is a relaxing, peaceful experience, the other is a marketing gimmick where you look like you're wearing a rubber nappy while cooking your balls. It kinda snowballed from there... and I admit being a little touchy on the matter, since I love going to the sauna - and I can't do that anymore because of my medical condition :(

Emrys

Emrys

How about just International Enjoy a Sauna Day?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Can we not? Even though it was in jest, that ongoing joke honestly did bother him. I asked him about it once in private. A large part of it was, because of his deteriorating health, he couldn't go to one of Finland's amazing saunas. So the sauna pants thing rubbed him the wrong way in that case.

It was something like that. I just looked for the old private message, but it's not there anymore. Which is weird because I still have other older messages from him.
In that case, I move for MC Ham Sammich Day. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You know one thing I'm going to miss about him? His hilarious way of turning a phrase. I re-read what he had sent me and burst out laughing at "you look like you're wearing a rubber nappy while cooking your balls." :D

phil

phil

After thinking about this a lot yesterday, I don't think there's much to say that hasn't already been said. I think though, that what I'll always try to remember about him and take away from all this is his positive attitude. I keep going back to his last few posts in the tumor thread and just reading the last line.

North_Ranger said:
So all in all, another giant serving of crap... but I try and stay positive about it all, and hope for the best.

Just Me

Just Me

You know one thing I'm going to miss about him? His hilarious way of turning a phrase. I re-read what he had sent me and burst out laughing at "you look like you're wearing a rubber nappy while cooking your balls." :D
Exactly what I always found fascinating. His brilliant way to use a language that not only is not his native tongue but one completely different from it.
Admitted, everything is different from finnish.

Calleja

Calleja

Does anyone know if he got the chance to see Day of the Doctor or not?

Dave

Dave

Does anyone know if he got the chance to see Day of the Doctor or not?
I do not know. I know he wanted to, but man that would have been cutting it close.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

That's the bit that gets me.

Every damn time.

N_R you positive bastard! If I can go through life with half the hope and positivity that you had, I'll be an okay human being.

Gusto

Gusto

Goddamnit, did he die on our 5 year anniversary? Or is that today?

Emrys

Emrys

Today, I think.

Wasn't it Thanksgiving 2008 when we were nuked from orbit?

Krisken

Krisken

Thanksgiving in 2008 was on the 27th. Did it take a full day to make these forums?

Dave

Dave

He did. It was the 26th.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Gusto

Gusto

Goddamn!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Maybe we should merge the two NR threads so that we don't have a bunch of cross posting.

Jay

Jay

Alright, I now have the time to dedicate my thoughts after calming myself down from this sudden news and the hectic work day I endured.

(Also I'm unsure why we have 2 threads for this, fix that if you please...)

I'd like to share my feelings with this community loss Halforums has collectively suffered today. Whether you liked him or hated him, North Ranger was a dedicated and respectable member of this community since who knows when. This isn't a loss where a forum member took their ball and went home when shit didn't pan out for them like so many have done over time nor is this isn't a member leaving because they deemed this forums no longer their interest, this is a loss of someone who dearly loved these forums, from what I read today... passionately and contributed on a daily basis.

Passion is a fickle thing, it comes and goes and for Mikko (someone who I felt no true personal attachment to) managed to get this sodden bastard to shed a tear or two in the office. Is this part of being a new parent? Or something else? Who knows. Who cares. All I know is that I shed some REAL tears for this guy whom I NEVER MET.

Why?

Because of one of his last posts was in a sub-forum most folks didn't give much a chance to.

Here's his reply to "Are you afraid to die?". Mind you, I completely was oblivious to his plight when I created it for discussion and initially felt bad when I read his first post but as per his great personality, he followed up with probably the most legendary post in these forums for 2013. If not ever.

To give a longer answer... there is a part of me that fears death. It is for quite a simple reason: Let's be honest here, for most of you folks here (with the obvious exception of @Officer_Charon , for instance [I salute you, sir]), the danger of death is mostly an abstract concept at your stage in life. It's something that will happen, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. For me, it's been a little different ever since the doctors told me the best they can do is try to contain my cancer, and that there might be a point in future where we would have to consider whether it would be better to let the disease take its course or keep taking the meds, even if they cause serious side effects.

In other words, death is not an abstract concept for me. I know I am going to kick the bucket well before turning gray. What I don't know is when that will be. A year from now? Two years? Five? Ten? Twenty? That will all depend on how well I react to treatment, and how long it is viable to keep treating me.

As such... well, I fear death if it comes suddenly, as a result of a new stroke that knocks me out of the game. It is very much unlikely with my current medication, but I know the danger is there. I have considered writing goodbye letters and my last will and testament, but as long as I believe I can remain alive I have postponed such concerns for another day. If there ever is a "you only have X months to live", then I will do such things. Until then, I try to focus on living, or "enlightened hedonism", as I call it. I enjoy good food and drink as much as I am able, partake in movies and video games, and both play and GM a game that I have found to my liking. I know I can't do all the things I used to be able to, but what I can do, I will do as long as I can.

The alternative? Contemplating mortality? Yeah, not gonna happen. Finns are already known for being f***ing melancholic and prone to suicide (I blame the weather, really), so I'll leave that shit to other people. The way I figure, if I kept thinking about death all the time, I would ruin what time I had left. And seeing as it's probably not gonna be one where I get to be a cranky octogenarian, I'd rather do something else, thank you very much.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a DVD of Shaun of the Dead in my living room along with a bowl of chips, and they're not gonna hold a movie night on their own :D
Amen brother.

I remember reading this and telling myself.... "Holy shit. Did I just read that?"

There I was completely miserable due to lack of sleep and I went... sleep? Fuck sleep! I wanted to immediately spend some more time with my family, be a little nicer to my wife, spend more time with Leyla, teaching her the "EA Fraction Variable" and watch a hockey game with friends I haven't seen in weeks.

When you see this type of defiance of the inevitable like this, you get inspiration for life.

And for that I thank you my departed acquaintance. I thank you with all my heart.

Your journey has ended and may you rest in peace.

Now if you don't mind me, I have to spend a little bit more time with my family.

Jay out.

ICWEyun.gif

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Of course this came on my iPod. Of course it fucking did.

When I learned of N_R's passing yesterday, I felt very sad, but I didn't cry.

Today I spent a lovely day with my family, ate a whole lot more than I should have, and then sat down to relax at the computer. I checked this thread, listened to the whole video that Chad posted, and wept like a baby.

And I feel so much better.

I always get upset whenever I hear someone refer to "real life" friends, to differentiate from, say, people you know through the internet. All of your life is your real life. Whether it be posting on a forum, playing a game online, writing letters to a pen pal, it all takes place in your real life.

Our brains act on sensory perception. Seeing someone isn't seeing them, it's seeing the light reflecting off of them, interpreted by photo receptors in our eyes and translated to electrical signals processed by our brain. In the abstract, we're all ideas, and whether that idea is presented to you through sight and sound, or words on a forum, they're all reflections of the people behind them, and those ideas touch and affect us in ways we don't always know.

I never had the pleasure of knowing N_R in person. I don't know what his voice sounded like (I bet he had a cool accent) and until this thread I didn't even know his last name. In fact, I don't even know if I correctly pronounce his first name. But I still got to enjoy the man behind the ideas, and feel a great loss to see him go. On this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful to have known him, and even in his passing, I'm thankful that his hard journey is over, and that he stayed so strong throughout all of it.

Shakey

Shakey

When I learned of N_R's passing yesterday, I felt very sad, but I didn't cry.

Today I spent a lovely day with my family, ate a whole lot more than I should have, and then sat down to relax at the computer. I checked this thread, listened to the whole video that Chad posted, and wept like a baby.
Same here. Probably a little bit from seeing how everyone was so affected by him passing. Some from spending some great time with my family and knowing his won't have that with him any more. And some because I'm sitting here alone again now, my GF and her daughter an hour away, and I don't want that. It makes you think.

jwhouk

jwhouk

In the ultimate irony, our tag-namesake welcomed into the world a baby daughter about a week ago.

General Specific

General Specific

EDIT: Found it. I asked him what the story was behind the running gag. Here's what he said:
OK, I thought it was all tongue in cheek outrage, but if it really bothered him, then no.

How about just International Enjoy a Sauna Day?
I will support this instead.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've been clearly misreading forum news and headlines, so I'm stunned right now. I didn't realize how dire things had gotten.

Like Jay, I didn't have an ongoing personal relationship with North or many interactions, but he was always nice in them. Largely my noticing was his friendly comments, except in the case of a certain forumite, in which case he usually said what needed to be said. He cared about this place.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Thought about Mikko off and on today. I'm not here as much anymore because of work, husband, nieces, etc... and now grad school coming up again. I still hope to meet some of y'all and tell you things in person. Many of you have brought me more comfort than you realize. Everyone else had better stick around for a good long while, because I can't afford to travel that much these days, and I want to share a beer with so many of you! I regret missing out on that with Northy. It would have been nice to give him a hug and really hang out with him.

...I gotta fuckin' get to Canada. :( Workin' on a special song for Mikko. Should be done soon, I hope. I wonder how Mikko's parents are holding up. Can't imagine how that feels.

jwhouk

jwhouk

It's never a good thing when you bury a child. My grandparents knew this, sadly.

Oh, and Cajungal? Turn left onto US 51 North and keep driving until you see an exit for Merrill. ;)

Mathias

Mathias

Alright. I never thought in a million years I would care this much. I said what I said earlier, but while mowing the lawn today (yes, I'm aware it's November 29th), this song popped on my iPod:

And it hit me.

I thought it appropriate to share that, yes, I thought of Mikko. This song is for you. I'm truly sorry for everything that transpired between us, my friend. I will miss you, and I regret not telling you this sooner.

Just to clear the air, I'd like to formally apologize to any and all members of the community that I've slighted in the past. The ones that I think I hit hardest before my ban last year (that come to mind at least) are Nick and LittleSin. I doubt I'll hang around here as much as I used to (or if Dave's going to reenact the ban anytime soon), but for what it's worth, well, there it is.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Top form, and a class act.

North_Ranger's last gift to the forum - an olive branch extended.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Maybe we can take a vote or something, but you know what? As long as Mathias knows when to back off and/or apologize for potentially volatile future behaviours, I'm okay with him coming back. If anything Ranger taught us, it was that this community is so very different from others. We're open, accepting, and most of all, forgiving.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Alright. I never thought in a million years I would care this much. I said what I said earlier, but while mowing the lawn today (yes, I'm aware it's November 29th), this song popped on my iPod:

And it hit me.

I thought it appropriate to share that, yes, I thought of Mikko. This song is for you. I'm truly sorry for everything that transpired between us, my friend. I will miss you, and I regret not telling you this sooner.

Just to clear the air, I'd like to formally apologize to any and all members of the community that I've slighted in the past. The ones that I think I hit hardest before my ban last year (that come to mind at least) are Nick and LittleSin. I doubt I'll hang around here as much as I used to (or if Dave's going to reenact the ban anytime soon), but for what it's worth, well, there it is.
For what it is worth, and I don't mean to bring up the ban debate (especially here) again, but I never thought of you as a bad guy; maybe you disturbed shit when you should've sat back, but who among us, stones, etc, etc.

To my mind you were and are part of the community - I'm glad you stopped by to extend your condolences and share your history -with Mikko and us- and your feelings on the sombre subject at hand.

Dave

Dave

For the record, the ban is lifted.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

For the record, the ban is lifted.
Or is it?

David

David

Like a few others, I didn't much interact with North_Ranger particularly that I can recall, but I did always enjoy reading his responses to threads and I will greatly miss not seeing them around. And it did swell me with a sense of community pride when I saw that he had included my sad penguin in one of his avatar drawings.

I remember once I had mentioned there was a professor at my old college who I thought looked like a doppelganger of North_Ranger, and he requested I get a picture for comparison and I never did post one. It's suddenly bothering me that I never fulfilled this simple request. I tracked down the guy's facebook profile and pulled this from it, I'm sorry it's so late.

Rest in peace, North_Ranger.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

In my immediate grief, after hearing the news about Mikko, I emailed a friend of mine. He's a friend of the family's, an 86-year-young Brother in the Catholic Church, with whom I've spent many hours learning, debating (I lean to the atheistic side of things, so we chat about the meaning of life, existence of God... easy things, you know, etc), and just sharing coffee and stories about life. He's a wonderfully intelligent and kind friend, who always makes time for me, despite his schedule, age, and health. At all events, I emailed him this (spoilers for length only, nothing inappropriate):
Hello,
A friend of mine who lives in Finland passed away today, a few hours ago.
Why is this like this? He was happy, he enjoyed living, had fun. He was a teacher, he helped people. He gets cancer, he gets a viral infection, he dies young...
I hate life. I'm miserable. I see emptiness and meaninglessness, I think it's all pointless suffering... but I don't die, I don't get seriously ill.
Why not? Why him, who would have enjoyed continuing to live?
And now what? If I'm right, then he's ... There's nothing left. Oblivion, whatever, he ceases to be. No more pain. In a perverse way I envy that.
And if I'm wrong. There's heaven and hell. If he's not Christian, and Paul goes on about Faith alone, and Jesus says, "and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him," so, what, what? Hell? Hell for him, and eventually hell for me. Wrath of God.
Why is this like this? What is the point?
I realise this seems heavy, dramatic maybe, but these things weighed on me (perhaps even selfishly) in the wake of the bad news. I received his response, and I wish to share it, with his permission:
Dear Leigh,
Sorry for the delay. The reasons are partly medical and partly the struggle I had and sill have how to respond in a way that makes sense and being honest to you and to myself.
I grieve with you over the loss of a friend who had a lot to give and apparently did give. Also the perpetual question: Why him and not me? With the related question: i would have done it differently.
I can speculate forever but it will never be clear of things would be better if my way would have been better. There are umpteen aspects of what happened to your friend and why that will be forever a closed book. And I am convinced that, whatever he believed and whoever he believed in will have been sorted out in his favor. My God is not a bookkeeper or a bean counter. My God has created people to be happy , now and forever, and when it turned out that that in the given circumstances for this person was not possible he solved it by making him happy somewhere else. Oh, I hear the judgments all around: he did not believe we do; he did not acted we expected him to act with his talents, if he he had done this or that it would have turned out differently, etc. Human reasoning. And in your case, a personal friend, who had so much to give, dies unexpectedly, painfully. Was that necessary. I would have done it differently.
I trust that what happened to your friend was the best for him. I even trust that, no matter what all the judges say, that since God has created him to be happy he is happy and sine there so many things I do not know all other considerations and emotions have to be set aside.
Of course I prayed the good God to give me understanding of the why (which I did not get) and for your friend and for you, which I hope is operating, may be slow and without us knowing it (yet). But I will never put the goodness of God on the back burner. Whether I know it or not I am convinced that your friend wants you to be happy and that maybe in due time we will understand some of the why's. In the meantime let us not spoil his happiness by asking questions for which there are at resent no answers and spoil the good memories we have of him. He would want us to use the talents we have to be productive and not waste our time in fruitless speculations.
This my, frien, is the best I can do at the moment. take care

Morphine

Morphine

Fuck cancer :'(

You'll be remembered, Mikko.

Dave

Dave

Now that Iowa has kicked Nebraska's ass and I'm back online instead of on my iPod checking in, I'm going to elaborate and say a bit more than I had.

When I asked Mikko to be a mod I did so for a number of reasons. First, he was usually active during a time zone when the rest of us were snug in our beds. But most of all, because I didn't know of anyone who disliked the guy. Mikko was respected by nearly everyone I'd spoken to and that's huge in moderating. Let some of the rest of us be the assholes. Yes, he had his blind spots, just as I do and the rest of us do, but barring these, he was rock steady. And then the diagnosis.

He was still a mod, but that took a back seat to everything else. I didn't prod or push, I just let him do whatever level he felt he had to. He didn't do much in the way of modding then, but he was always there, always positive in the face of such massive uncertainty. Always ready to laugh, whether that laughter was at himself, at the situation he found himself in, or even at the ridiculous ways that cancer takes a giant of a man and reduces him to looking into the face of his own mortality. Mikko was a hell of a guy and I'm so very, very glad that we got to show him in a very positive and literal way before he got too sick to enjoy it. In 2011, when a little idea to help him raise his spirits went from one or two people to almost 30, we got to show him and his family just how much he meant to us. I'm thankful every day of the Christmasing and I'll close out the chapter of Mikko with his response to the gifts he received.

North_Ranger said:
Hello again, guys and gals! And Merry Christmas, Krazy Kwanzaa, Harmonious Hanukkah and Brain-Splattering Qw'ghh'ia'fhugdhh to you all!

Seriously, I'm still at awe about all this. No one's ever done anything even remotely like this to me, and I can't help but smile a little, knowing you all cared so much about my strange, pantsless, non-sequitur-spouting ass to send me a gift that was so thoughtful. Seriously, with all the things going on and some of the 'friends' whose reaction to my current predicament left a sour taste in my mouth... it's more than a little heart-warming to know that even a socially awkward hermit like myself has so many people rooting for me across this big ol' world of ours. You rock, ladies and gents. Ozzy should write a rock ballad for each and every one of you.

I'm not the only one who's impressed, BTW. My mom, bless her heart, has always been more than a little suspicious of you folks over the Internet. When Baerdog came over for a few days this year, she was more than a little worried, you know, over me letting a "stranger" into my home. She told me that when she understood what the Xbox was for and who it was from, she started crying. Openly. She was so overwhelmed with emotion. She even says she's grown less suspicious of the 'net because of you guys. So thank you for making my mom more susceptible to Nigerian princes wanting to send $30 million out of the country, folks :p
And now I'll address Mathias. When I found out about Mikko I removed the ban and let Mathias know what had happened. He'd known Mikko for years just as we all had, and even though their last interactions weren't always positive, that wasn't always the case. And let's face it, I think we all know now that we're kind of like a family here. There are damned few of you I wouldn't let into my house and those I wouldn't are spammers. But sometimes families fight. And this family also forgives. Let me say right now that the banning was not all Mathias's fault. Some of it was Mikko. They were like brothers who sometimes just couldn't let it go.

So the ban is lifted. I'm letting Mathias come back because I truly believe Mikko would want me to be forgiving. I've lost one friend to cancer and I damned well don't ant to lose another through stupid pride. I know a couple might have issues with this and to you I say, "Please. Let's give forgiveness a chance."

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Norwegian, but the sentiment is the same.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Norwegian, but the sentiment is the same.

At least it's not Swedish.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

At least it's not Swedish.

TommiR

TommiR

I think... in the summer of 2018, I'll go sit in Svarte Rudolf, and order one pint for myself, and another one "for a friend who is running a bit late".

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

I think... in the summer of 2018, I'll go sit in Svarte Rudolf, and order one pint for myself, and another one "for a friend who is running a bit late".
Fade to black, credits.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm assuming that @Gilgamesh has shared this with Shego. I don't expect her to post or anything, but it's nice to know if she is aware.

Shawn

Shawn

You are missed NR. I'm sorry that life was far shorter than you deserved. I like to think that you left this world with a joke and a grin.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Reposting this picture because there's something reassuring about it, and it makes me smile every time I see it...

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I'm assuming that @Gilgamesh has shared this with Shego. I don't expect her to post or anything, but it's nice to know if she is aware.
I have been trying to contact her honestly, but we haven't spoken in a very long time due to her current situation. I've lamented this a few times in the rant threads sadly. I did send her an email and voice mail on this subject though as I know that she and NR were close for a long time.

As for the Ranger himself, what could I possibly say that hasn't been said already. As another of the people who personally didn't know him very well, I also have to admit that I sat in my chair and cried when I heard the news and read this thread. I really hope he understands that he didn't just have friends, he had them all over the world. Closer than most physical friends at that. I can only hope that I can impact a fraction of the people he did. A man that will always be remembered by me everytime I see a sauna, that's for sure.

fade

fade

Stupid allergies. Eyes seem to be watering or something.

The outpouring in this thread is the measure of the man. Much love, Mikko.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I was away for the past few days and the hotel had crappy Internet. This saddens me very much. Farewell, North Ranger.

Cat

Cat

What a shame to lose someone like this. I haven't been the most active member for the past few years but from what I can remember NR brought a lot to this board and was one of the great personalities that defined this place.

Dave

Dave

Just got an email from Mikko's dad.

Dear David and all people in Halforums,

Thank you very much messages in forum sharing our sorrow.
We are reading these with my wife, Mikko's mother, really touched us to tears.
We have not been fully understand the sense and power of your community as Mikko's "family". Now we understand that and also the process of his illness with you - as a therapy and spirit.

Mikko's funeral will be held on Saturday 21. December at 12:30 Finnish time.
That day is also winter solstice. The Meaning of day was important to Mikko.

We have three wishes to you:

1) we hope yours obituary of Mikko. You or someone who have been familiar with him and his activity on forum during last years - during over ten years, will write it. We will present it after funeral - remenberance.

We would be happy, if we may get from your forum:

2) putting together - collection of moved messages in Hall of Flame ,
Thread of Mikko's messages how his cancer - going on
Important to us how he processed that with you.

3) after you informed other Halforumites - there is lot of participaiting messages - those we have readed.
May you collect those into document file for us.

How you want us to present Halforum's condolences during Mikko's funeral.
We shall be very glad to present it.

Yours

Leila and Timo Metsälä
First, does anyone want to volunteer to write the obituary? I think @stienman knew him better than anyone (I said I think - if this is wrong I apologize).

Second, I'm going to gather as many of the quotes/texts/everything into 1 big thread. This thread will be from the diagnosis to the bitter end. This thread will NOT be open for comments, but we can post additional stuff in here if it needs to be added. Once we are satisfied about this, I will find a way to get everything into a file that his parents can use. Not sure how to do this yet. I may end up going into the database, exporting to Excel and then porting THAT into Word. Convoluted, but it works. Or at least it should.

Zappit

Zappit

Word would be the easiest way, I think.

strawman

strawman

I was not particularly close to Mikko. He contacted me near the end because he needed information he knew I would have.

I'm sure there are others here who had a much stronger relationship with him.

December 21st is enough time to send someone to represent the forum in person if desired. Something to consider, anyway.

Espy

Espy

OH geeze that emails from his parents just made me feel wrecked again. Ugh. This just sucks.

Dave

Dave

I'll probably write it, then. Also, I'm going to call Mikko's dad in the next couple of days and see if he'd rather have someone there to represent us or if he'd like us to send him the Memorial $$. My best friend is Finnish and his mother is going to hopefully be the translator. Which will be interesting considering she's in Hawaii which is exactly 12 hours behind Finland! So it'll be in the evening there, the morning in Finland and holy shit Dave time (like 0 dark 30 kind of thing).

Chippy

Chippy

God damnit.

Every time I'd decide to come back, seeing he was still posting made me feel happy. It just wouldn't be Halforums without Mikko. I probably could have shown that appreciation in a better way than repeatedly picking at him.

He was one of the more genuine people I've come across. I'm a little surprised how hard this is hitting me.

God fucking damnit.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

N_R will be missed. I have never been close to him or really anybody else here. But he was such a decent man. I was really saddened by most of his posts in his thread because I could tell that he did not have much of a chance because how aggressive his tumors were. He is the reason that for the last couple of years that I described what I went through as "cancer tourism," because I never really felt ill. And that I was never in much danger.

evilmike

evilmike

Has anyone contacted @Silver Jelly? I'm sure he would want to know.

Dave

Dave

Also, @Baerdog, who actually met Mikko.

Dave

Dave

Also, in update to the North_Ranger Memorial fund, @stienman and I have been talking and we think that we have a solution.

For the last however many years, Mikko's parents have been taking care of him. As too many of you know, taking care of a cancer patient is a very, very trying experience as you get to watch a loved one torn down from the inside out. Your whole world becomes one trial after another as that person fights an enemy that can't be seen. Their own lives have been put on hold.

Stienman and I both think it would be a good idea to give the money to Mikko's parents to use for a holiday somewhere. They can get away from the home that will have nothing but reminders and reconnect as a couple. Right now they are going through the hardest thing they ever will (I hope) and if they can just take even a weekend away it might help their stress and sanity levels.

Sending someone to the funeral - while a grand gesture - would be uncomfortable on many levels. First, there's a language barrier that for most of us would be insurmountable. Secondly, these are nice people. If someone visits, they'd feel obligated to entertain or pay attention to this stranger during a time when they should be focusing on their family and funeral plans.

Right now we have a eulogy, written by @Enresshou. It reads:

The internet is a wonderful thing, and one of its greatest wonders--at least to our little online group--is that it brought Mikko, a man who lived half a world away, into our lives. He part of our digital family from the beginning and, as it grew, he became something more: our heart and our conscience. He was thoughtful. He was patient. He was kind. He was the best of us, and it is a sad, sad joke that he is the first to go.

But he will be remembered; for his good will, for his smile and heart, for his quiet strength. Above all, he will be remembered for the lives he has touched and the good he has wrought. He taught so many of us the concept of a community and to measure our words in kindness and understanding. He lived with laughter, whether at himself or with others, and in so doing helped some of us mend ourselves in difficult times. And, while he was a giant of a man, nobody was ever beneath him--he loved, and was loved by, everyone he spoke to.
I'd like to add some personalized messages that have the region of the speaker, and I'd like it to be as varying as possible. Like "Dave from Omaha, Nebraska in the US said..." and this would show everyone there how he touched a lot of lives not just in his area but around the world.

Thoughts or suggestions for edits on the eulogy are welcomed.

Krisken

Krisken

Also, @Baerdog, who actually met Mikko.
Baer knows. I contacted him as soon as I found out.

Dave

Dave

Baer knows. I contacted him as soon as I found out.
Cool, man. Thanks!

Cajungal

Cajungal

The eulogy is beautiful. If we have a personalized message, should we pm you, @Dave?

Dave

Dave

The eulogy is beautiful. If we have a personalized message, should we pm you, @Dave?
Please post them here. I know his parents or siblings are using his account to poke around and read what we are writing about Mikko. Let them see them all, even if I don't put it in the final message.

Krisken

Krisken

Cool, man. Thanks!
Absolutely. I did my best to let those who are no longer visiting here every day and I'm still in contact with know the sad news.

Bones

Bones

krisken is our lifeline on the PVPONLINE irc channel to this place

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Here's a little thing from me Dave, if it can be used.

Jeff Brown from Lufkin, Texas, USA:

Mikko was a friend, plain and simple. Even though I never had the pleasure to meet him face-to-face he made a difference to me and to all that he interacted with online. He always had a kind work for a new member, a joke for those that knew him, and even a rebuke when needed. I really came to know Mikko better during one of the Secret-Santa exchanges a few years back and found his love for the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes, and was able to give him one of the books he was missing from his collection. He will be missed, but never forgotten.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Alan from Taipei, Taiwan said:

My fondest memories of Mikko are from our shared line of work, namely languages and translation. Mikko would always be able to provide a perspective from a someone outside the English-speaking world, while also retaining a strong level of expertise and skill in translation and linguistics. In particular, I remember coming up with a Chinese name for a character he was writing, and the enjoyment we both derived from hiding clever references and subtle hints in the name.

Mikko was a man of humor, of wit, of kindness and of integrity. I will miss him.

strawman

strawman

Stienman and I both think it would be a good idea to give the money to Mikko's parents to use for a holiday somewhere.
Given that the final disposition of the funds has changed since we started accepting donations, PM me if you'd like your donation returned before we close donations.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Nick Piers from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada:

(Note: This is copy and pasting what I said about 4 pages ago in this thread. It's still the best way I can say what I feel.)

I'm incredibly sad, but this isn't something to be mourned. Do you know why? Because goddammit, that man fought for the last 2+ years and never let it beat him - at least mentally. At least on here, he always had a positive, fighting attitude about it, constantly trying to keep his spirits up and still doing his best to interact with us and showing how much he cared. I'm sure we've all heard of people who have either given up, lost hope, etc. But North Ranger? Never gave up. He would understandably get angry or upset when he was given bad news about his deteriorating health, but he kept fighting. Like a proud man with viking heritage should do.

His life isn't one to be mourned.

It's to be celebrated.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Thoughts or suggestions for edits on the eulogy are welcomed.
There is a minor typo in the second sentence of the eulogy. It says, "He part of our digital family...". It's missing "was", I think.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Lisa Blair from Honolulu, Hawaii:

A few days ago I logged on to the Halforums message board just to waste a bit of time before I had to pick my children up from school. I thought I had started reading a very recent thread of messages and wanted to skim through them quickly to get to the newer posts. As I was scrolling down the screen, I saw a post that Mikko had made. My heart skipped a few beats. How could this be? For a moment I thought the news of his passing had been untrue because there was a post from him! Then I saw the date was actually from quite a while ago. It hurt and I cried all over again for the loss of our friend.
I miss Mikko's presence in our online community. I will miss his sense of humor, his pride in being from Finland, his loyalty to those he cared about, and his friendship. I will remember him, always.

Emrys

Emrys

Peggy from Saskatchewan, Canada:

Mikko was a wonderful person - funny, intelligent, caring, compassionate. I wish I could have known him better and I mourn his passing but I'm blessed for knowing him for the time I did. Thank you for raising such a wonderful man.

Just Me

Just Me

Ingo from Nuremberg, Germany:

I always loved to see Mikko online and read what he had to say. It was always a treat to see how passionate he talked about what was dear to him; sauna, the medieval festival, his bow and arrows, his family and friends, books and movies, his work. In all of his posts Mikko showed great passion and love and care for everything around him.
His humour and wit, his friendly and positive demeanour, his fiery passion and temperament I will never forget.

Dirona

Dirona

Kathleen from British Columbia, Canada:

Mikko was, first and foremost, a wholehearted person. His conversations with people were generally respectful, upbeat, passionate, and articulate. And from what I saw of him, he tried to do what was best for the community. I admire his sense of humour, his hopefullness, and his kindess. I wish I had gotten to know him better, and I will miss seeing him around.

grub

grub

Matt from Abbotsford B.C.

Mikko was one of the most positive people I have ever known. His attitude has helped me appreciate what I have and focus more on the good and less on the bad. We have lost the best and he will be sorely missed,

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Jim from Oklahoma, U.S.A.
Through my interactions with Mikko, I learned that he was passionate about education, he was proud of all things Finnish, and he really seemed to embrace life. He always looked jovial and happy in his photos and his enthusiasm was spread throughout this website. I am glad to have known him, and wished I could have bought him a pint or two in person. Cheers Mikko.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Dale Anderson from Wisconsin, USA

I was never close to Mikko, but I felt like he was an omnipresent force here on the message boards. He was almost always in good spirits, even when he was going through hell. He is one of the few people that I've truely aspired to try to be a little bit more like. I don't think we would even exist as a community if he hadn't been one of the people here keeping us together with his good nature, friendly demeanor, and overall positive outlook.

I think the world is made poorer for his passing, but richer for his having lived in it.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

David Nevarez from Turlock, California, U.S.A.

I knew Mikko by his internet alias, "North_Ranger." Over the years I got see him as a man who loved life to the fullest. Whether it was him talking about enjoying a good liqueur, posting pictures of himself in costume at the local medieval fair, joking around with other members of forum, etc. He was a guy who was jovial, artistic, and all around fun!

Then he revealed he was battling cancer. As a survivor of leukemia myself, I knew the hard battle he had ahead of him. But also I knew if anyone could beat it, "North_Ranger" could. As the years went on, he would update us on his treatment while still keeping his sense of humor and upbeat attitude. The last half year or so, his health became more ominous, and it saddened me so much to hear him talk about his pain. But even then he wouldn't let it stop his joking and happiness.

The news of Mikko's death affected me deeply. Even in his last days, I was so sure that he'd find a way to overcome his illness. His positive outlook on life seemed too strong to allow himself to be taken. "North_Ranger" was one of the bravest souls I've ever had the privilege to know , and I regret that I'll never be able to meet him in person. I can only hope that God allows me to meet him in Paradise when my turn comes, and I want to let his family and friends know that he was very special to us: his internet family. My condolences and prayers are with you.

I'll miss you, Mikko.

Krisken

Krisken

Brian Paasch, Wisconsin, USA

It's hard for me to properly put into words exactly what Mikko meant to not just myself, but this website as a whole. Many others have already stated how his upbeat outlook on the forum and on life in general has made such an impact on the community. What he may have gained from us paled in comparison to what we received in return. He was and always will be the heart of this forum, a shining example of all the traits which make a great presence. While our little corner of the internet is dimmer without him here, each of our lives are brighter for having had him here.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

David from Jersey City, New Jersey, USA

Mikko was one of those who welcomed me here and helped make me a long-term part of this community. His kindness and good cheer were a really large part of the reason I kept coming back, and his fierce desire to do friendly (but determined) verbal battle in defense of pop culture and foods he loved made him a friend, comrade, and occasional light-hearted adversary. Looking back at the 12 years that has passed since I came here (including multiple different versions of this site) and the thousands of times that we've interacted, I can only say thank you to him, from the bottom of my heart, and that I am incredibly grateful to have known him even in such a minor fashion.

I often think about what is left of us after we are gone, and about what the measure of a person really is. If, like many wiser than me have said, the true measure of a person is the memories that we behind in the minds of friends and family, then I think we can safely say that Mikko's measure was very much one of love, respect, and joyful appreciation of life.

North_Ranger, good buddy, I will miss you intensely.

Bones

Bones

Mike, Saint Croix Valley, Minnesota, USA

Mikko, You will be sorely missed by everyone. Vaya Con Dios Buddy.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Dan Stephenson, from Savannah, Georgia, USA.

Mikko was one of the most genuine individuals that I have ever had the pleasure to encounter, in any capacity. He was open in his dealings with everyone, wearing his heart on his sleeve. He did not mince words - if he had issue with you, he would say so, and do so in a manner that left no doubt in your mind that there could be a way to reconcile without any bad feelings left.

His passion for his job and his hobbies was evident. Every post about his time at the Medieval Faire left me with a smile on my face. I loved learning about his country and it's rich history. I had been working with him on doing some form of police officer patch exchange, before events got in the way, and it was something that he seemed to be excited about, as well. His pride in Turku was strong, as well - he truly loved the place he called home.

When we found out about his illness, he kept us informed of everything as it happened, letting us know that he was bound and determined to beat this problem, no matter the cost. His strength of character and good cheer in the face of extreme adversity kept our own spirits up, half a world away, and kept us confident that if anyone would be able to rise above this, Mikko would.

Godspeed, sir. I am a better man for having known you, we are all touched by your spirit, and I hope that one day, we may meet again under better circumstances. H P.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Joseph from Wisconsin, USA;

I did not know Mikko very well, except as a member of these message boards. However, I do know all too well the pain of losing a loved one to cancer, and even more of the pain of losing someone close to you way too soon. His spirit and attitude toward life and his illness has been an inspiration for many on this part of the internet.

May he rest in peace, free from pain that is caused in this life, and may his family know of his love for them - a love that will last forever.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Leslie from Louisiana, USA.

North Ranger--Mikko--was one of the posters who drew me to the forum. He is one of the people who could actually make me laugh out loud. I admired his gentleness and love of children, and it saddens me that he never got to have children of his own.
Mikko added so much to his community. His humor could break tension during an argument, and his deep love of Finland challenged me to think about my own homeland and always appreciate the good aspects of it.
When he began this battle with cancer, he was always brave and tried to accentuate the positive. It was an honor to be a small part of his journey, even if it was just to offer a bit of distraction during a hard time. I will miss him, and I'll never forget him. Even though we never met in person, he was truly a friend and someone I looked up to.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Mathias

Mathias

Matt from Philadelphia, USA.

Mikko was one of those unique individuals who enriched the lives of everyone that had the pleasure of getting to know him. He was part of our internet family, and will be sorely missed. I would like to extend my condolences to Mikko's parents and family. I want you all to know that, although Mikko is gone, his good deeds and positive demeanor live on through us all. The world is colder place losing a person like Mikko, but we are all the better for having known him. Goodbye, my friend.

Zappit

Zappit

Sean from Massachusetts, USA

My earliest foray into an Internet community was through the PvP forums, and Mikko was among the kind, welcoming folks that made me want to stay. It seemed as if he was always cheery, funny, and positive - even during his long battle with cancer. I admired and respected Mikko for the incredible courage he showed, and I looked to his example when I faced down serious kidney disease. While I never got to know Mikko as well as I wanted to, I felt a kinship with him, knowing we were both fighting difficult battles, and it hurts terribly that we both didn't come out with a win. Thank you for being an inspiration, Mikko, and more importantly, thank you for being a friend. You will be missed, but you will never be forgotten.

Far

Far

Kyle from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

Mikko is an integral part of the community we've formed here. He welcomed all with open arms and an inviting smile, was courteous and brought a zeal with him to all his interactions, be it about pop culture, sauna or Finland, that was unmatched. Though we never met face to face, the genuineness of his character rang true in every connection made and we are all better for having known someone like him to aspire toward.

I think the sheer suddenness and almost naivety experienced surrounding his passing is a testament to just how well Mikko faced his situation, that we could have just short weeks ago been chatting, ribbing each other in good fun. In the back of our minds we all knew the hardships that he endured but with his jovial demeanor, his bravery and fortitude in the face of what he had been dealt, with each bit of news regarding the cancer, to me at least, it always felt "but this too shall pass.”

To his parents, thank you giving us the opportunity to know such a wonderful, kind hearted man, whose warmth and strength touched so many of us, in such a profound way, the whole world over. May his memory live fondly on with you, as it will with all of us.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Michael Connor Robinson from New Jersey, USA.

I did not know Mikko that well but I really wish I did, and its something I will regret. He was a good egg who touched the lives of almost everyone on this message board, and will be missed. I am just glad I knew him at least a little bit, rather than not at all.

Shawn

Shawn

Shawn of Los Angeles

I'm one of those people who like to have arguments with others while on this forum. Not heated ones, but simple back and forth discussions about two or more different opinions. And whenever I saw an alert that North Ranger had replied to one of my posts, I admit that at times I was not always too excited: but only because we had so much in common there was very little to argue about. I know Mikko and I would have been amazing friends had we not been so far apart. We had similar interests. We had similar personalities and senses of humor. I am honestly hurt knowing that we'll never get a chance to meet now.

My deepest sympathies to his loved ones. And a salute to his parents who raised such a wonderful person. Even in the darkest of times, Mikko marched on with a positive outlook and a huge smile.He came in a good man. He left a good man.

We will miss you, buddy.

Dave

Dave

Just found out a lady I work with is Finnish and speaks it fluently. She's going to be translating for us.

Dave

Dave

Dear David and peoples in Halforum

Thank you very much all of yours parttaking messages in our deep sorrow.

Funerals will be held on Saturday 21 December in Resurrection Chapel in Turku
https://www.turunseurakunnat.fi/portal/en/churches_and_chapels/the_resurrection_chapel_in_turku/

Is it ok, that we will lay on behalf of you the memorial flovers on Mikko's grave.
If it is acceptable, please send by e-mail to us the farewell words (sentence) and how we sign the card with flowers.

If you have any hopes for us, please tell.

Yours Leila and Timo

TommiR

TommiR

Just found out a lady I work with is Finnish and speaks it fluently. She's going to be translating for us.
If there are any problems in getting the translation done, let me know. I'm no poet, but I speak Finnish.

Dave

Dave

Well, my friend's mother is a fluent Finn as well, but she lives in Hawaii, so the time changes would have been difficult. Thanks for the offer and I'll certainly reach out if she balks.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Carlo Gallucci, from Barcelona, Spain:

When I knew, I was very sad. North_Ranger was a great guy, and I didn't know what to say about his death except that it really saddened me.
But I started thinking. Why? Why was I so touched by the passing of a man I had only known through the indirect ways of the internet?

And, as I reflected, I knew that it was, of course, because Mikko was a part of me. Some of his stories became mine, because of his warmth, and his cheerfulness, and him being an all around great guy. Some were happy memories, and some were not as happy, but they were inside me to accompany me trough my life.

So, every time I hear the name Sasha, I go to the internet for a few minutes and try to check if it's really just a man's name or if, when he was a soldier, he had properly named his rifle with a female's name after all. Whenever somebody speaks of children growing, or whenever I realize my little sister is becoming a preteen, I remember his feelings with the aging of his nephews, who used to come running to him calling his name and perching on his legs and then didn't anymore. Whenever I think of red bushy beards, of renaissance fairs and of suspenders, it's easy that Mikko will appear in my mind, usually smiling his nice and warm smile.

And If he has left me with so many memories, a guy on the internet who knew him in this indirect mediated way, I can't even begin to imagine how many people that he met in person have a place for him in his heart, and will remember him fondly for years, even forever.

I know I will.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Y'know, I'd love to add something, but I realyl can't think of anything intelligent that hasn't been said yet and/or can't put my feelings in words.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Y'know, I'd love to add something, but I realyl can't think of anything intelligent that hasn't been said yet and/or can't put my feelings in words.
I think you should't worry about not thinking of anything that hasn't been said before. If you want to write something, I think you should just think of how you feel and then write something, and the result, even if it's not great prose, will still be a nice homage to a friend.

Espy

Espy

Stephen Miller from Minnesota, USA

There is a lot I could say about Mikko but I will keep it simple: He was full of joy and love, his heart bigger than most. He made us laugh and he made us feel like we were friends even though we were oceans apart. He was a rare and lovely person and I should be so lucky to meet another like him someday. Thank you Mikko, for sharing your life with us. Godspeed in your new journey.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Alex from Hamburg,Germany

Mikko was a good guy. He never made fun of my lack of english skills and always had a kind word,for a guy who sometimes felt lost. I am very sad at the loss and will miss him greatly. But his memory will always live on, as a person who faced adversity with a
smile on his face and a good word for his fellow men.
I am glad to have known him and my life has been better for it.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I hope you stick around for a while, @Silver Jelly .

Emrys

Emrys

I second that emotion.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Thirded

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Fourth'd even though he and @Denbrought tried to kidnap me in Barcelona

Bubble181

Bubble181

And fifthed.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Sixth @Silver Jelly[DOUBLEPOST=1386713443,1386713416][/DOUBLEPOST]
Then quit being adorable.

/victimblaming

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Sixth @Silver Jelly[DOUBLEPOST=1386713443,1386713416][/DOUBLEPOST]

Then quit being adorable.

/victimblaming
I should post a current pic, not sure this beard makes me adorable...

Zappit

Zappit

Seventh @Silver Jelly

We still need to do a real collab, bro. Our ghost comic was magic.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Can't kidnap the willing, handsome ;3

Bubble181

Bubble181

"Fluffy", "adorable", "soft", "rugged", "helpless", "masculin", "wise",... are all still sound reasons for abduction, FYI.

Emrys

Emrys

Do eet!

Frank

Frank

Frank Bassett, Alberta, Canada

He was the most earnest, genuine person I've ever come across on the web. There is nothing I could say that someone else before hasn't already said more eloquently so I will add this, he will be missed and the world, online and off, is a lesser place for his absence.

jwhouk

jwhouk

FYI: Our Category Namer (Tom Brazelton) has sent his condolences. He doesn't remember Mikko well, but was sad to hear about such a loss during this time of year.

General Specific

General Specific

I was listening to the song in my sig and I just could not stop thinking about NR. For me, that song will probably always remind me of him now.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Kevin from Illinois, USA

It might seem odd for an internet place full of people who never actually met Mikko to consider him a friend. What, though, is a friend? To me, a friend is a person who relates to my enjoyments, listens to my troubles without preconceived notions about me, and can offer honest and respectful discourse as necessary. In that way, then, Mikko was and always will be our friend.

I've recently experienced close family loss myself, and while I can be as angry as I want about the times and experiences I'll never have with them again, I also realize that a person truly lives on in the memories and experiences we did have with them. Remembering them makes it such that they are never gone forever.

Dave

Dave

Couple of notes. First, Mikko's funeral is this Saturday. I'll be on vacation at the in-laws, but when I get back it'll be the right time to unstick and move the thread to the Hall of Fame for remembrance. It'll still be open for comments.

Second, I received a message from Mikko's dad, Timo.

Dear David,
All emails have received ok. Thank you very much your huge work of collection.
Mikko's friend will translate the eulogy and rememberances to finnish.

Have you the memorial words for flowers onto grave?
Flowers, red roses with white eustomas from you, are ordered.

Yours Timo
Basically, they ordered flowers in our name to be placed on the grave, which I feel is a wonderful thing for them to have done. We still don't know how to get them the money we raised. I'm hoping @stienman has some ideas.

My response to him needs a bit of explanation and I hope none of you are upset with me.

For Mikko, who was loved by so many around the world. Rest well, my friend, until we meet again.

Love,
David and the rest at Halforums
The reason I thought some might be upset was because my name is on it, but nobody else's. I did it this way for a couple of reasons. I tried to just put Halforums or Halforums.com as the signature, but that looked too corporate or cookie cutter. I also tried it with a list of names, but as they were going on flowers I didn't think I should put on that many - but then people would be left off. So I did simple and personal and I apologize if you feel it should have been done differently.[DOUBLEPOST=1387313400,1387313321][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and even though the threads are available here, I do have all of the ones I sent to Timo in pdf form. Let me know if you want a copy or if you think I should paste them in a thread here. It's quite a lot.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Perfect.

Zappit

Zappit

Sound fine, Dave.

Just Me

Just Me

I'm absolutely okay with your response!

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

To get the money to them, Dave, who ever owns the PayPal account have them cash it to their bank and western union it over

Emrys

Emrys

Your message is perfect, Dave.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Looks good to me, Dave. Nice one.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Matt Moyer, Florida, USA

I put off adding any of my own words of remembrance here, because I'm terrible with them. I hate to say goodbye, and I feel like whatever words I could come up with would fall short of the meaning I meant behind them.

And then I thought of Mikko, or North Ranger as he was known to us, and I know that if he was still here, he would like anything I put down. Because with him it truly was the thought that counted. And that thought made me smile.

fade

fade

He was alive, and that's more than I can say of most of the zombies milling around. He wasn't afraid to show color or emotion and he loved what he liked and didn't seem to mind what he might have hated. In that way he was a blade in a world of cudgels, which suits his interest in martial tradition just fine.

Jack, Texas, USA

Krisken

Krisken

Looks good, Dave.

TommiR

TommiR

Any news yet as to how North_Ranger's funeral went today?

Dave

Dave

I have not. And I'm not really going to ask. I figure they are going through enough. If Timo volunteers info I'll pass it on.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

TommiR

TommiR

Fair enough, and likely the most appropriate course of action.

Dave

Dave

Moved back to General for a short time. I just received a message from Mikko's dad, Timo. He sent a document about the funeral which I have attached for download. It's about 17 MB so it's kind of big. I'll reiterate what it says here.

Timo said:
Dear David,
included document consists of Mikko's funeral and memorial service.
You can use it all or part of it for information Halforums's members.
We hope, that included links and pictures work properly.

We are very grateful all of your work to collect threads.
If you want something that we can do for you -- please do not hesitate to ask it.

Regards Timo and Leila
The document has pictures of both the memorial and the gravesite in Turku. And just when I thought I was finished crying, he said the priest sang this.

Attachments

Emrys

Emrys

Thank you for sharing this, @Dave.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Much obliged, Dave.

Fuck... now _I'M_ crying again. I've pulled into a damned back alley and I'm weeping like a little kid again.

Dave

Dave

That song is pretty perfect for him, isn't it?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Much obliged, Dave.

Fuck... now _I'M_ crying again. I've pulled into a damned back alley and I'm weeping like a little kid again.
Same, man. :(

Emrys

Emrys

I've already used half a box of Kleenex. I need to cuddle a doomweasel.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That is a very beautiful, and fitting, song. Seeing this outpouring, I feel almost ashamed that I did not know @North_Ranger well enough for the song to affect me as deeply as it obviously does so many of you.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Moved back to General for a short time. I just received a message from Mikko's dad, Timo. He sent a document about the funeral which I have attached for download. It's about 17 MB so it's kind of big. I'll reiterate what it says here.

The document has pictures of both the memorial and the gravesite in Turku. And just when I thought I was finished crying, he said the priest sang this.

Oh damn... something's in my eye.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

If I look at the photos while listening to the song I am going to fall apart. The flowers were beautiful.

Bones

Bones

I can't say I have felt much grief for NR passing, I have never been one to cry, But I say again nothing can ever fill the hole that grand human being left with his passing in our lives.

Vaya Con Dios buddy, you earned this rest, may it be a peaceful one.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yep... lost it during the song. *sigh* I really wish I didn't need to explain to my family why I'm crying each and every time something like this happens.

Dave

Dave

Last note.

Mikko's parents have accepted the donation and stienman is going to get it to them this week. I realize that Mikko's passing was a dark spot in our history, but it's also one that showed us and especially Mikko's parents that his life was brighter than any darkness could extinguish.

From his father, Timo, to all of us.

Dear David,

We, Mikko's parents, have understood, that you, Halforumites, have collected money for cost to make a visit to Mikko.
Now when situation is changed, you are desired to give those moneys to us on Mikko's memorial.

We have talked about the matter and we will accept to receive the donated funds very humble and feeling grateful to all of you.

Last past two years are gone as you write on your messages and now we must continue our own life together. It will be - "before and after". We must be grateful all of those 30 years and live with the memories. Mikko will be always in our minds.

If you David or someone Mikko's well-knowing HFmite sometime in the future will visit Finland and Turku, do not hesitate to contact us by email or phone, we want to be your host as Mikko.

Regards to you and all members at Halforums

Leila and Timo

Cajungal

Cajungal

They sound like wonderful people. :)

Espy

Espy

Wow. Seriously wonderful folks.

Dave

Dave

They have received the donations.

Hi,