Export thread

Ok, no, your mom thinks it's you, but

Element 117

This post may cause unintentional butthurt to sensitively egotistical people. No actual harm is intended
who IS the smartest person on the forum?

Mind Detective? AmorousEyes? Necronic? Patrothom? (sp?) Dr. Awkwardinward?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Regardless of the divisiveness of the question, it's still really subjective, too!

Element 117

I don't think it's a factual q so much as an opinion poll.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

This might actually be an interesting experiment to conduct.

I don't think it's a factual q so much as an opinion poll.
Awww. I'm a bit disappointed.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Don't forget Fade--he's a geologist.

Dave

Dave

Probably MindDetective. But we have some pretty bright individuals even if they don't always act like they are.:tape:

Piotyr

Piotyr

Probably MindDetective. But we have some pretty bright individuals even if they don't always act like they are.:tape:
Dave's playing stupid with us again.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I've talked about education a little with MD in pms, and I appreciate his healthy skepticism (as is illustrated by his signature). Lotta smart people here, though.

Dave

Dave

I'm pretty smart but I'm nowhere near the level of some of these guys. Ame beats me in the computer department, most of you beat me in the math department and MD, Chaz & a slew of others beat me in the science department.

I'm a people person. I have people skills! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!?

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm good at retaining information and then explaining it to young people. It's pretty much my only marketable skill.

figmentPez

figmentPez

There are many different types of intelligence. I usually think it's pointless to try and figure out who is the smartest. I'd rather spend my time trying to figure out how to put those brains to work, rather than measuring and ranking.

Piotyr

Piotyr

There are many different types of intelligence. I usually think it's pointless to try and figure out who is the smartest. I'd rather spend my time trying to figure out how to put those brains to work, rather than measuring and ranking.
Which, in a roundabout way, is a method of putting those brains to work. ;)

Hey, really, this could turn into an episode of Halforums Got Talent!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I bet DocSeverin is quite sharp. Dave and Ame keep this place rolling, so they also have my vote!

Piotyr

Piotyr

I think there was a proverb of some type that said "Whichever man thinks he is the smartest, isn't."

Zappit

Zappit

We've got a lot of teachers here, myself included. That's got to count for something.

What exactly will the smartest one win, besides a heightened sense of self-satisfaction. (We've all got plenty of that already, right?)

Hylian

Hylian

I am smart enough to know that there are people who are smarter than me.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I would love to have AmE's computer skills, the color sense of a lot of the artists here, and the ability to do more with my uke than just strum... which I'm sure Espy and KWCM could help me with. :p Yep, lots of different kinds of smarts. But I assume that BT was referring to academic types who have to do lots of research and experiments and things.

Element 117

Perhaps a high level SAT type quiz is in order!

Dave

Dave

I scored a 32 on the ACT but nobody takes that unless they are from Iowa any more.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Aha, a Standardized test-off! :laugh:

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

I took the ACT.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I scored a 32 on the ACT but nobody takes that unless they are from Iowa any more.
Really? I took both the SAT and ACT and thought the ACT was far more popular a request from universities. Granted, that was also 15 years ago (holy crap).

Iaculus

On an unrelated topic, overexposure to Japanese media has resulted in me doing a double-take whenever I read about Cajungal 'strumming on her uke'.

Dave

Dave

Whoa. Harvard entrance scores:

• ACT Composite: 31 / 34
  • ACT English: 32 / 35
  • ACT Math: 31 / 35
Holy crap.

drifter

drifter

*looks up uke*
:laugh:

Cajungal

Cajungal

On an unrelated topic, overexposure to Japanese media has resulted in me doing a double-take whenever I read about Cajungal 'strumming on her uke'.
:laugh:

Wahad

Wahad

I'm a (student) philosopher. The only thing I know is that I know nothing.

Jokes aside, I'd say MindDetective, Chazwozel, dr_awkward and probably fade (though I don't know much about him) are up there in terms of academical knowledge.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Whoa. Harvard entrance scores:

• ACT Composite: 31 / 34
  • ACT English: 32 / 35
  • ACT Math: 31 / 35
Holy crap.
I'd have thought Math would've been higher, but then again it's Harvard, not MIT.

I did well on the ACT but got a poor composite, due to falling asleep midway through the reading test and finishing with a 24 due to not finishing the last third of it. Didn't retake it because it ended up being good enough to get into anywhere anyway.

Element 117

But isnt Necronic a chemist?

Dave

Dave

Yeah, with MAD SKILZ when it comes to Excel and OCD spreadsheeting.

Gusto

Gusto

They tell me I have an IQ of ~168 but I am a dumb dumb man.

drifter

drifter

So, if I'm reading those entrance scores right, my English score was better than 75% of Harvard matriculants. In your face, Ivy League!

My math scores, on the other hand... :eek:hwell:

tegid

tegid

Don't forget Fade--he's a geologist.
Isn't he more of a geophysicist? That's even better.

I think we have a lot of intelligent people around here, and certainly the average guy here is very intelligent compared to the everyman!

(We don't have any mathematicians, do we?)

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

According to tests, I have a very high IQ... but I'm pretty useless, so it all balances up.

Null

Null

I'd have to say Fade. He's a geophysicist who's usually do busy doing actual science to hang around here.

And I'd have to say Tinwhistler's pretty damn sharp, too. He's highly capable in a lot of different areas, which takes intelligence.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Hey, really, this could turn into an episode of Halforums Got Talent!
Oh man. WE SHOULD DO THIS.

Wasabi Poptart

Let's not forget Espy and Enresshou!

Null

Null

I took the SATs but that was I think two scale variations ago (1995). English 640, Math 730.

All I know is that most of the time, I feel like I'm getting a little more stupid every day.

Krisken

Krisken

yer all so smart, you make us go.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I took the SAT in '88. I made national merit commended student. I would've made scholar based on my SATS (only missed 2 questions), but my PSAT's were too low because I flubbed it due to working til 3am the night before :(

Ross

Ross

:cry:

Espy

Espy

According to my own estimates I have an I.Q. of 170.

*(Bonus points to whomever knows what character in what show said that)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I AM SO SMART

I AM SO SMART

S M R T I mean S M A R T

MindDetective

MindDetective

Wow, this is a whole can of worms here. (Thanks for the flattering nomination, though.) Strangely, the primary definition of of intelligence is performance on an intelligence test. It does seem related to people's perceptions of intelligence, though, whatever that is. I'm of the opinion that a large part of what we consider intelligence is in the eye of the beholder, much like beauty. Someone with a lot of schooling (er...too much schooling?) is going to have a lot of specific things to say, especially on topics of their specialty (ahem ;) ) and I think we culturally assign that to be intelligence. A brilliant auto mechanic or baker might not acquire the same label, even though they are of a similar level of expertise as a mathematician or scientist. Then again, there seems to be a biological component to intelligence as well. Maybe we need a DNA test to answer the question...

Wasabi Poptart

I'm too embarrassed to say what I got on my SATs when I took the exam back in 1988. I cried because it was so bad. It was another reason why I didn't bother going to college back then.

Element 117

DNA TEST PARTY!!!!

makare

I'm too embarrassed to say what I got on my SATs when I took the exam back in 1988. I cried because it was so bad. It was another reason why I didn't bother going to college back then.
The problem with those tests is that there are a few nonintellectual reasons why someone might do poorly like test anxiety or something like that.

I did pretty well on my ACT I got a 34 on language. I got a 17 on math. I have never been good at math but that thing with the ACT has always kind of pissed me off. I took it before I took high school algebra so most of what was on the test I had no experience with. I really should have retaken it after algebra but I didn't. I have always regretted that.

I am not claiming to be the smartest person on this forum by saying this (disclaimer) but this seems like a fine place to put this childhood anecdote. When I was in the fifth grade we took some kind of standardized intelligence test. I got the highest score in the school, elementary through high school. I never really cared or was impressed by that but it did mark the one time in my life that my mom acknowledged, in any significant way, that I might not be a complete moron. She bought me a ziggy card. Lol.

TwoBit

I'm just smart enough to realize I'm a complete moron.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

DNA TEST PARTY!!!!
Bonus points to the one who is able to map their strands first? Bobbing for peptides? Pin the tail on the mitochondria?

figmentPez

figmentPez

They tell me I have an IQ of ~168 but I am a dumb dumb man.
That beats me at 150.

I got a 1400 on my SATs, but that was quite a while ago (when I was 14, I think). It was before essay portion was added, and I think before they made the scoring easier. 800 verbal (perfect score on that half), 600 math.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm a high school dropout... sorta. I switched to home schooling due to health problems, and I've taken some college courses (got in on my SAT scores with no diploma or GED).

Element 117

DNA TEST PARTY ORGY !!!!
fixed

Gusto

Gusto

DNA TEST PARTY ORGY !!!!
fixed[/QUOTE]

Oh well in that case. :smug:

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

*starts peeling off uniform* I'm on it like a fat kid on cake.

makare

Woah I think this thread just ended up in a bad neighborhood.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I'm in like Flynn.

Element 117

its a bit early to hit your bedroom, but ok!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

its a bit early to hit your bedroom, but ok![/QUOTE]

BAM!

makare

are you saying that my bedroom is in a bad neighborhood or are you telling me to go to bed so that you can carry on with your orgy?

I promise I won't interfere regardless.

Philosopher B.

I don't think too good.

Element 117

are you saying that my bedroom is in a bad neighborhood or are you telling me to go to bed so that you can carry on with your orgy?
nope.

Wasabi Poptart

*pulls out some dollar bills* :eyebrows:

Gusto

Gusto

..... :smug:

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

makare

I don't think too good.
Fortunately you don't need to think when doing the rock.

Gusto

Gusto

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I can settle this little kerfluffle right now.

I'm the smartest.

YOUR WELCOME.

Element 117

and 65 posts until the experiment is concluded.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm the smartest.

YOUR WELCOME.
Good to know.

Starting tomorrow, new 15% on all intellectuals.

Philosopher B.

I don't think too good.
Fortunately you don't need to think when doing the rock.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? It's awesome. I can just do the rock all day.

*Does the rock*

makare

I don't think too good.

*Does the rock*[/QUOTE]

May I join you?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I'm the smartest.

YOUR WELCOME.
I'ma give you a second to realize your fail, sirrah...

makare

Have we all reached the level of meta irony?

Philosopher B.

I don't think too good.

*Does the rock*[/QUOTE]

May I join you?[/QUOTE]

Yes. More people should do the rock. It's stimulating.

makare

I don't think too good.

*Does the rock*[/QUOTE]

May I join you?[/QUOTE]

Yes. More people should do the rock. It's stimulating.[/QUOTE]

Aw yes. *Does the rock with skill and vigor*

phil

phil

Doing the rock seems like you're all just doing cocaine

makare

Doing the rock seems like you're all just doing cocaine
maybe a little.... want in on this?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Kkkk-yeeeeeah!

phil

phil

I only do my coke off the asses of hookers.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

And mine.

makare

You are a difficult man.

Element 117

I'm the smartest.

YOUR WELCOME.
I'ma give you a second to realize your fail, sirrah...[/QUOTE]

This here is why we can't have nice people as things.

phil

phil

You are a difficult man.[/QUOTE]

I just have standards. This ain't the 80s anymore where just any old bathroom stall and mirror will do.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm the smartest.

YOUR WELCOME.
I'ma give you a second to realize your fail, sirrah...[/QUOTE]

This here is why we can't have nice people as things.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm open to negotiations towards being someone's thing.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

..... Apparently, I already am. *glances at User title*

makare

I still have that rope and taser. I thought we cleared this up already. GAWSH!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Ororororoooo.......

bhamv3

bhamv3

The smartest person is the one who fakes being stupid, but still has moments of intelligence shining through like sunbeams through dark clouds.

I have several candidates in mind for this, none of whom I can name, because then it'd mean I'm saying they act stupid.

Element 117

The smartest person is the one who fakes being stupid, but still has moments of intelligence shining through like sunbeams through dark clouds.

I have several candidates in mind for this, none of whom I can name, because then it'd mean I'm saying they act stupid.
So you're suggesting we nominate you?

bhamv3

bhamv3

So you're suggesting we nominate you?[/QUOTE]

Well, I didn't want to just come out and say it, but now that you mention it...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't think too good.

*Does the rock*[/QUOTE]

May I join you?[/QUOTE]

Yes. More people should do the rock. It's stimulating.[/QUOTE]

Well it's not like you could stop the rock. I mean, you can't stop the rock. Stop, the rock.

Krisken

Krisken

You are a difficult man.[/QUOTE]

I just have standards. This ain't the 80s anymore where just any old bathroom stall and mirror will do.[/QUOTE]
You haven't lived until you do coke off the back of a dog. Busey.

Bones

Bones

I would like to nominate myself, I scored a 34 on my ACT, a 2200 on my SAT, national honor society in high school, graduated in the top 10% of my class, 3.8 GPA with 120+ credits in a multi-disciplinary load-out, with a B.S in Environmental Sciences. Well known for my need to apply everything I learn on a daily basis to life and work alike.

but I digress, in all actuality I am the biggest raging man-child within 500 square miles. There are many people that will explain I am closer to a cartoonish mad scientist than scholarly genius. I enjoy arguing such things as I invented the ? mark.

in conclusion, I am joking around, trying to make a point that asking who is the smartest is just silly. especially in this place full of scientists, teachers, mathematicians, and alike. we are all likely in the top ends of our respective fields in relation to our ages and relative life experience.

P.S. I vote Chazwozel is smartest man on the boards, followed closely by Dave. as for the ladies I would make argument for Cajungal, followed closely by Ame

Element 117

I would like to nominate myself, I scored a 34 on my ACT, a 2200 on my SAT, national honor society in high school, graduated in the top 10% of my class, 3.8 GPA with 120+ credits in a multi-disciplinary load-out, with a B.S in Environmental Sciences. Well known for my need to apply everything I learn on a daily basis to life and work alike.

but I digress, in all actuality I am the biggest raging man-child within 500 square miles. There are many people that will explain I am closer to a cartoonish mad scientist than scholarly genius. I enjoy arguing such things as I invented the ? mark.

in conclusion, I am joking around, trying to make a point that asking who is the smartest is just silly. especially in this place full of scientists, teachers, mathematicians, and alike. we are all likely in the top ends of our respective fields in relation to our ages and relative life experience.

P.S. I vote Chazwozel is smartest man on the boards, followed closely by Dave. as for the ladies I would make argument for Cajungal, followed closely by Ame
I bet you tried to beat up magicians at the school fieldtrip too, right?

Bones

Bones

I did what?!

Null

Null

I only share my DNA in person.

Wasabi Poptart

*throws a dollar at Null*

Null

Null

I think your math might be a little off there, Peggy Hill.

Officer Charon said:
Kkkk-yeah
So you're a cop AND a rock'n'roll clown?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Officer Charon said:
Kkkk-yeah
Shhh.... I'm moonlighting... kyeah....

Null

Null

Officer Charon said:
Kkkk-yeah
Shhh.... I'm moonlighting... kyeah....[/QUOTE]

Sounds brutal.

Element 117

I did what?!
you stole the magic from little kids having fun, just to prove a point.

Wasabi Poptart

Officer Charon said:
Kkkk-yeah

Hey Mr. Polic--...uh-oh!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Officer Charon said:
Kkkk-yeah

Hey Mr. Polic--...uh-oh![/QUOTE]

*whisper* I do cocaine. *whisper*

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

*pulls out some dollar bills* :eyebrows:

Wasabi Poptart

Aw yeah! *puts a few dollars in Tin's waistband*

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'm only doing this to work my way through college...

Element 117

you have a video camera. Get this made.

Cajungal

Cajungal

What happened here?

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Are there paper Euros or do Europeans put actual coins in the coin slot?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

you have a video camera. Get this made.[/QUOTE]

Trust me..I've put that camera to good use. Not that you're likely to ever see that particular collection, mind you... :paranoid:

Element 117

What happened here?
The experiment finished round post 65. The rest is going as I have foreseen.

Espy

Espy

I think your math might be a little off there, Peggy Hill. [/QUOTE]

YES!

Necronic

Necronic

Yeah, with MAD SKILZ when it comes to Excel and OCD spreadsheeting.[/QUOTE]

I woke up on a hamburger 2 weeks ago :p

Dave

Dave

Yeah, with MAD SKILZ when it comes to Excel and OCD spreadsheeting.[/QUOTE]

I woke up on a hamburger 2 weeks ago :p[/QUOTE]