PC Piracy: Something We Tell Our Grandchildren About?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/tech...ll-out-their-anti-piracy-alert-systems/62520/

So far the punishments aren't very harsh, but isn't this a step in the direction of complete crackdown? Hope you didn't like downloading MP3s, TV shows, Movies or Games if you have one of those providers. But wait, can't you just switch providers? Well considering those companies own 75% of the US online coverage? Probably not.

All I can say is I'm counting the days to Google Fiber. It's just going to crush all the competition in every city it enters even more with this news.

Now I'm going to have to be more careful when I download season four of downton abbey.
How could you be more careful if your ISP is the one pretty much introducing SOPA to it's customers?

I know you're not being serious but this could really hit alot of people hard. I guarantee as the warnings increase, so will the backlash. I don't think the ISPs realize what they've started.

Wait, what happens if you're playing an MMO that distributes patches via torrent/peer and you download part of your legally-bought patch from an IP address associated with piracy because that's how the patching system works?

I'm counting down to Google Fiber as well, because hopefully they can break this fucking "monopoly" and make it so that Canada doesn't have the highest internet prices in the world.

Wait, what happens if you're playing an MMO that distributes patches via torrent/peer and you download part of your legally-bought patch from an IP address associated with piracy because that's how the patching system works?
I'm guessing a warning? It's supposedly a 6 strike system that you can call and -explain yourself- to avoid after a certain number of warnings. Like I said, this is such a stupidly blanket attempt at this, it's going to blow up in their face.

I didn't see it in that article, but are they still punishing customers based on bandwidth usage (even for legitimate reasons)?

I didn't see it in that article, but are they still punishing customers based on bandwidth usage (even for legitimate reasons)?
If they are, that dam has got to break sooner or later. With legal movie streaming becoming more and more popular, the MPAA will eventually be siding with consumers for once if ISPs start limiting the ability of customers to use streaming services.

How could you be more careful if your ISP is the one pretty much introducing SOPA to it's customers?

I know you're not being serious but this could really hit alot of people hard. I guarantee as the warnings increase, so will the backlash. I don't think the ISPs realize what they've started.
I was being serious. The only thing I've pirated in the last several years was downton abbey, since it had already aired in the uk, and was for sale there, but wasn't yet available in the US.

I'm annoyed at the possibility of slippery slope.

When Comcast introduced the BitTorrent slowdown years ago there was a huge outcry and they relented. I'm worried that people will pass this off as "well, you're pirating, so you deserve it" and the public will let this slip by. Then it's not much of a leap to suppose that they will again start restricting what we can use the pipe for.

I'm expecting people will get all sorts of warnings for piracy when they haven't been commiting, but that there will be no real recourse.

I'm expecting them to start blocking servers on home ip addresses to address piracy concerns.

So it's annoying that they're doing this, but these companies are media companies now, so they've got hands in each others pockets, and there's simply not much we can do about it until it actually affects the Internet use of the average netizen.

On the other hand, the great firewall of china shows an example of how poorly such systems work, so I'm not really concerned about the impact to piracy, I'm simply concerned about the possible impact to other useful services and Internet development.

figmentPez

Staff member
On the other hand, the great firewall of china shows an example of how poorly such systems work, so I'm not really concerned about the impact to piracy, I'm simply concerned about the possible impact to other useful services and Internet development.
This! So much this.

The biggest pirates are still going to figure out a way to pirate. Average people are just going to have put up with more and more restrictions on how we do stuff. This is going to hamper creativity and innovation. It's going to sour relationships between paying customers and media providers and make the system antagonistic and impede healthy growth.

Holy crap, Canada, does EVERYTHING have to be more expensive in you?

Que people blaming it on universal health care.

Hell TWC already throttles Youtube/TwitchTV no matter what kind of user you are, it's like they're just asking everyone in a Google Fiber city -You're already going to leave us, so let's fuck you over as much as possible until you can/do.-

Holy crap, Canada, does EVERYTHING have to be more expensive in you?

Que people blaming it on universal health care.
We have cheaper ...

uhm

beavers?

And we have cheaper softwood lumber but you jerkfaced jerkfaces won't honour our free trade agreement! Jerkfaces :(

I have Charter, which I don't see on the list. Am I safe for now, and should I go on a downloading spree to stock up while I can? (I keed. Mostly.)

Google Fiber is slowly making it's way eastward. I can't wait till it hits Ohio and then TWC goes out of business. I use WoWWay but everyone else I know still uses TWC.

Welp I've finally been hit by Time Warner Cable's blocking. They are now throttling any kind of bitTorrent program I use and every fix I've looked for online has failed.

I have no other high speed internet options until Google Fiber comes in next year. Unbelievable.

Welp I've finally been hit by Time Warner Cable's blocking. They are now throttling any kind of bitTorrent program I use and every fix I've looked for online has failed.

I have no other high speed internet options until Google Fiber comes in next year. Unbelievable.
Is that even using a VPN?

No, all I've really tried doing is encrypting the download but they've already blocked that too. Can't afford to get a VPN, I download because I can't afford certain things, guess I don't get them at all I suppose.
http://proxpn.com

Although the free account does limit your speed to 300kbps, no idea if that's better or worse for you.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh and one caveat, don't go with the #1 ranked "hidemyass." Scuttlebutt on the internet says they log all connections and are regular privacy sluts about turning over logs to whoever asks for them, so really not much point in them anyway. But I hear good things about privateinternetaccess and BTguard (which is more of a proxy than a VPN really, though they do offer full vpn for slightly more).

Status
Not open for further replies.