[Rant] Peeves of the pet nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
My 5th graders are saying "cray-cray" instead of crazy. Our school's right by the Vermilion River, and I want to throw them all in there.

Things that are hard to open: This includes battery doors, house doors, boxes, anything. Who designed these damn things?! I JUST WANNA REPLACE SOME BATTERIES/GO INSIDE MY HOUSE/LOOK INSIDE MY SECRET BOX!

People... there are over 100 employees in our company. We do not all need to see you welcome someone to the team. It is possible for you to email them individually.

I am pretty sure this doesn't count as a rant, so I'll post it here.

Sudden Change in fiction: When something is going one way in a story, and then OUT OF NO-WHERE the writing's pace changes to something completely different. This mostly happens in webcomics. You know the one.

Barking: SHUT UP!

I am pretty sure this doesn't count as a rant, so I'll post it here.

Sudden Change in fiction: When something is going one way in a story, and then OUT OF NO-WHERE the writing's pace changes to something completely different. This mostly happens in webcomics. You know the one.

I bet you hated Life Is Beautiful

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait, people use that term seriously? Unless your name is Kanye, that word shouldn't appear in a sentence without being a joke.
It is also acceptable as a noun, if you are in computer science. Usually it must be followed by numbers or letters.

Fun fact - for a brief year, I had an active, legitimately obtained personal user account on LANL's Cray XMP

It is also acceptable as a noun, if you are in computer science. Usually it must be followed by numbers or letters.

Fun fact - for a brief year, I had an active, legitimately obtained personal user account on LANL's Cray XMP
I know nothing about computer science, so that's a new one on me. What does it mean?

GasBandit

Staff member
I know nothing about computer science, so that's a new one on me. What does it mean?
Cray is a prevalent manufacturer of supercomputers used in large research institutions. Last year they created a supercomputer called Titan that is currently the fastest computer in the world, performing just shy of 20 petaflops (by comparison, an intel i7 does about 70 gigaflops), has 710 terabytes of ram, and 10 petabytes of storage space.

The cray I had an account on (at LANL, Los Alamos National Laboratories in New Mexico, AKA where we developed the atomic bomb) was the fastest computer in the world from 82-85, running at a staggering 105 mhz (400 megaflops), a mindbending 16 megabytes of ram, and I dunno how much storage space. probably measured in gigabytes. I accessed it via dialup 2400 baud modem (that's 0.0000024 gigabit connection), and it ran a cray-specific variant flavor of unix called UniCOS (Unix Cray Operating System) and pretty much was all 100% prompt driven text interface. But back then it was like whoaaaa nelly.

I mostly used it for e-mail, or I would have, if anybody I knew had an e-mail address besides the ex husband of one of my aunts.

Two pieces of advice:
-Don't read George R. R. Martin
-Don't get a dog*

--Patrick
*except maybe a Basenji.

fade

Staff member
From Dusk Til Dawn. That's not so much a change in the fiction, though, as it is two entirely different movies that happen to have characters with the same name.

Okay I liked "From Dusk Til Dawn" so maybe I just don't like it when its done poorly. Maybe I'm just thinking of really bad transition in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.