Pet Peeve rants.

People who start a third goddamned rant thread.
To be honest we probably need a fourth. Just to make sure everything is covered.

Pet Peeves... hmmm... so many... how do you choose? People who stand in line for 10 minutes and then don't know what they want when it's their turn. People who piss all over the good things others are doing or act like them trying to help out their community is dumb or self-centered. People who think that you don't actually need to know anything about the religion you claim to be a part of (as Richard Dawkins said in one of the rare times we agreed on something, "Then why are you bother to pretend you are part of it??? And then he screamed and killed someone I think) or that a quick google search makes them an expert (that kind of goes for any subject I suppose).

M

makare

The no gender thing. How do you distinguish people in a sentence? I've always thought more pronouns would be good like in latin.

Maybe it discourages pronouns. That sounds helpful to language over all. I see too many instances in my cases where someone is describing everything as "he did this, and then he went over to him, and he got this, and then they were there."

M

makare

exactly in Latin you have a bunch of different ones you can use for just those circumstances.

I know my father-in-law often says things like "Where is it... the thing." I'm always telling him "Use your nouns, Chris. What is 'it'? What is 'the thing'?"

North_Ranger

Staff member
The no gender thing. How do you distinguish people in a sentence? I've always thought more pronouns would be good like in latin.
Nouns, names and adjective phrases. In Finnish you can't say, for instance, "He kissed her" in word for word. It would be "Hän suuteli häntä", which sounds silly and nonsensical. However, you can say for instance "Hän suuteli tyttöä", "He kissed the girl", whereupon you differentiate between the two actors in this romantic mini-play.

M

makare

Nouns, names and adjective phrases. In Finnish you can't say, for instance, "He kissed her" in word for word. It would be "Hän suuteli häntä", which sounds silly and nonsensical. However, you can say for instance "Hän suuteli tyttöä", "He kissed the girl", whereupon you differentiate between the two actors in this romantic mini-play.
And all the animals in the swamp sang along.

i for one continue to be annoyed with people who give me the holier than thou attitude about something. lately for me its been that I am not a real fan because I don't eat sleep and breath my hobby....

i for one continue to be annoyed with people who give me the holier than thou attitude about something. lately for me its been that I am not a real fan because I don't eat sleep and breath my hobby....
Sounds to me like those people might need a refresher on what the difference between a Hobby and a JOB is...

haha thanks espy, it was mostly a dick waving contest on who was the bigger fan in a group, I conceded immediately because I dont buy all the extra stuff related to anime like figures, posters, etc etc...I am also not big on conventions. thus I am not a real fan. its unfortunate really that people are such massive pricks

figmentPez

Staff member
Don't you know? You have to be qualified if you want to have a hobby! If you don't play games on the hardest difficutly, you're not a video gamer. If you didn't beat King's Quest 3 without a walkthrough (and love every minute of dead ends and illogical deaths), you're not an adventure game fan. If you don't buy at least $50 worth of comic books a week, you're not a fan of comics in any form. If your television isn't professionally color calibrated and set to 24p mode (with frame interpolation turned off) you obviously just don't get cinema. Unless you're listening to lossless encoded music (or vinyl) on professional quality headphones, you're not really hearing the music and you aren't enjoying it like a true fan would. If you get any of your ingredients from a can or mix, you not really cooking at all. It's not really camping if you didn't carry everything on your back for at least a dozen miles. etc. etc.

M

makare

Here's one, people who confuse rebelling against Political Correctness with rebelling against common courtesy.

Don't you know? You have to be qualified if you want to have a hobby! If you don't play games on the hardest difficutly, you're not a video gamer. If you didn't beat King's Quest 3 without a walkthrough (and love every minute of dead ends and illogical deaths), you're not an adventure game fan. If you don't buy at least $50 worth of comic books a week, you're not a fan of comics in any form. If your television isn't professionally color calibrated and set to 24p mode (with frame interpolation turned off) you obviously just don't get cinema. Unless you're listening to lossless encoded music (or vinyl) on professional quality headphones, you're not really hearing the music and you aren't enjoying it like a true fan would. If you get any of your ingredients from a can or mix, you not really cooking at all. It's not really camping if you didn't carry everything on your back for at least a dozen miles. etc. etc.
I know those people. They are some of the most annoying people in the world.

People who can't use "there," "their," and "they're" correctly really annoy me. Also, living in Texas I have to put up with people who can't say the word "Yankee" without putting "damn" in front of it. I have a feeling that my anthro seminar on warfare will get pretty lively when we get into the Civil War. I just might have to school a few of them with my facts.

P

Philosopher B.

Giant prudes. Life is so much more goddamn relaxing if you don't get uptight about shit. Use the F word, smoke a bowl. Watch how fast your butt cheeks unclench. I mean, obviously I'm phrasing this in a hyperbolic fashion, but GATdamn.

Don't get your 1950s all over me.

I just had this shirt fuckin' washed.
Added at: 20:03
People who can't use "there," "their," and "they're" correctly really annoy me.
Kill these people. Also kill anyone too fucking lazy to spell out 'you.' It's three mother-humping letters. What are you going to with the few seconds you saved up over the course of your miserable life just bothering with the 'U'? Save the whales? I don't fucking think.
Added at: 20:06
Life is so much more goddamn relaxing if you don't get uptight about shit.
Kill these people.
Also, hypocrites? Fuck 'em.

Cajungal

Staff member
This thread is to get out all your pet peeve rants as they come along.

I hate it when people use the words 'yummy' and 'belly', especially together in a sentence. "That sushi was really yummy." "That Mexican food found a home in my belly". "I'm so full from yummy burgers in my belly."

Grow the fuck up! You're not five years old!
Oh my God. I was complaining about that about a week ago. I also hate the word "yummy."

I may have mentioned it before here but (warning! Generalization ahead! Clearly there are instances where calling is acceptable :p ) I still really hate it when people call to see if I'm hiring. Get off your lazy butt and walk 2 blocks from your dorm and fill out an application, ask for an interview in person, get to know the folks who already work for me, etc. We only hire 1 or 2 folks a year and it ain't gonna be the mumbling 19 year old kid who calls and goes, "Um, yeah, um, like, um, are you guys, um, like, um, hiring right now?"

Cajungal

Staff member
Tasty doesn't bug me. I don't even really know why yummy does. At any rate, it's not enough to wreck my day. :p

North_Ranger

Staff member
Kill these people. Also kill anyone too fucking lazy to spell out 'you.' It's three mother-humping letters. What are you going to with the few seconds you saved up over the course of your miserable life just bothering with the 'U'? Save the whales? I don't fucking think.
Somehow I don't think the school administration would look kindly upon a policy of termination in the sophomore English class. Though I have to admit, people failing simple things like not understanding the difference between "he's" and "his" or saying "brother guitar" when talking about their brother's guitar can get a bit irksome.

Man, language is a fascinating thing isn't it? The way it changes, for better or worse, is just so interesting.