Export thread

Pet Peeve rants.

Limit: 500

Mathias

Mathias

This thread is to get out all your pet peeve rants as they come along.

I hate it when people use the words 'yummy' and 'belly', especially together in a sentence. "That sushi was really yummy." "That Mexican food found a home in my belly". "I'm so full from yummy burgers in my belly."

Grow the fuck up! You're not five years old!

MindDetective

MindDetective

This thread is yummy!

Mathias

Mathias

I'll cut you!

MindDetective

MindDetective

Hehe. I'll throw in a pet peeve: Students who are not organized enough to come to class and then beg me for mercy when they realize they are deep in the hole.

Tress

Tress

I hate it when people use the term "literally" incorrectly. For example, when someone sees a movie trailer and says something like "haha, this literally looks like the biggest piece of shit ever." It obviously didn't look like a large pile of fecal matter, so the person ends up looking like a twit.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Are you 28 years old and refer to the man you have been seeing as "The Boy", I hate you. First, he has name, just use it. Second, we have the term boyfriend. "The Boy" is just so damn obnoxious. Bah.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I just don't like the terms boyfriend or girlfriend when the person is out of college.

I am 42 years old and still get called boyfriend, and she was 33 getting called girlfriend... yeesh.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

People who flick cigarette butts out of their car windows while driving! I should be able to beat you with a pipe wrench during forest fire season!

Mathias

Mathias

I hate it when people use the term "literally" incorrectly. For example, when someone sees a movie trailer and says something like "haha, this literally looks like the biggest piece of shit ever." It obviously didn't look like a large pile of fecal matter, so the person ends up looking like a twit.

No, I meant it. Thor literally does like like a turd.

Turd. Thor. Same thing.

Oh and passive aggressiveness is a big factor on things making my pet peeve list.

makare

Hmm I've never really associated "belly" with kids. I always think of beer belly or pregnant belly.

I hate it when people say " I have a deep seeded...." instead of "a deep seated" whatever they have. It is deep seated. Like it is seated deep in your chest.

Tress

Tress

People who chew with their mouth open. Why is this so common? Close your mouth, you goons!

Jay

Jay

Construction and construction workers.

makare

Construction and construction workers.
This isn't a general pet peeve of mine but I had to go down to Sioux City today and wtf?! How long is that construction going to go on? It is so ridiculously annoying.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

When a kid has been in the league a week and the ESPN morons are already measuring him for his hall of fame jacket by putting up ridiculous comparisons to true legends of the game. Why not just cut the crap and blow him already, huh?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That worked out well for the Blasphemous Second Coming of King James...

David

David

People who type to me online like "hey how r u?" instead of "How are you?"

This can seriously be a relationship breaker for me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I just don't like the terms boyfriend or girlfriend when the person is out of college.

I am 42 years old and still get called boyfriend, and she was 33 getting called girlfriend... yeesh.
What the hell do they call each other? Or are you in one of those "baby's daddy" "baby's momma" areas?

LittleSin

LittleSin

Why can't people pick up after them selves?! Where I go I'm picking up after someone!

It's not like I'm a neat freak either. My parents give me shit all the time about the house not being tidy....but god damn some people are just gross and inconsiderate.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Jet's over a year now, right?

Time to reap the benefits of children: free workforce.

LittleSin

LittleSin

He does tidy up after himself...the dumps it all on the floor again to repeat the cycle.

His father, however, does not having come from a home where 'the women folk' do this kind of thing. He's better then when we first started living together but it is a slow, painful process.

I also can't do anytinng about the rest of the world. You know, the folks that don't flush the toilet...or leave their fast food crap over the table...or don't puut things back where they belong in the shop.

Krisken

Krisken

When people write "loose" when they mean "lose". Frequenting table top gaming boards this happens a lot.

Jay

Jay

When people write "loose" when they mean "lose". Frequenting table top gaming boards this happens a lot.

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, I know. I'm hoping that a majority of the people who do it are either suffering from mental disabilities or English is not only not their native language but what they do write they learned through means other than formal teaching.

makare

I still say that is usually a typo. When people slow down they know the difference. Same with most homophones.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

When I fuck up with something relatively simple, like the gender-specific personal pronouns of English. There's no "he/she" distinction in Finnish so I sometimes goof that up - usually with hilarious and disturbing results.

phil

phil

Taking non-actions for a cause but still complaining about it. I'm sorry but if your solution to a crisis is prayer or starting a facebook group or trying to get a petition signed on a campus then you're not really doing anything about it. Raising awareness is up there too. The truth is you don't give a shit about it same as me. The only real difference is that you want people to think you do.

Referring to your new born baby as "my man". It's creepy.

People who blame your ability to comprehend when the real problem is their ability to communicate whatever idea they're trying to get across.

MindDetective

MindDetective

People who blame your ability to comprehend when the real problem is their ability to communicate whatever idea they're trying to get across.
For some reason I had to read this three times to understand it.

Gusto

Gusto

People who start a third goddamned rant thread.

phil

phil

For some reason I had to read this three times to understand it.
I do not blame you!

Krisken

Krisken

I hate the "Repost this on your wall" crap. Good call there Phil.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Third verse!
Same as the first!
A little bit louder and a little bit worse!

Krisken

Krisken

Threads being locked before any warnings are even given out. That there is some weak ass shit.

linglingface

linglingface

"I could care less." THEN CARE LESS, YOU FOOL! I, on the other hand, COULDN'T care less.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Pet peeve: when people use words of comparison without completing the comparison. "The ___ is greater."

Than what? This is a huge problem on college exams, I have found.

makare

When I fuck up with something relatively simple, like the gender-specific personal pronouns of English. There's no "he/she" distinction in Finnish so I sometimes goof that up - usually with hilarious and disturbing results.
That's interesting.

Espy

Espy

To be honest we probably need a fourth. Just to make sure everything is covered.

Pet Peeves... hmmm... so many... how do you choose? People who stand in line for 10 minutes and then don't know what they want when it's their turn. People who piss all over the good things others are doing or act like them trying to help out their community is dumb or self-centered. People who think that you don't actually need to know anything about the religion you claim to be a part of (as Richard Dawkins said in one of the rare times we agreed on something, "Then why are you bother to pretend you are part of it??? And then he screamed and killed someone I think) or that a quick google search makes them an expert (that kind of goes for any subject I suppose).

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

That's interesting.
You mean the "no gender distinction"? Or the fact that I once said "He's pregnant"?

makare

The no gender thing. How do you distinguish people in a sentence? I've always thought more pronouns would be good like in latin.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Maybe it discourages pronouns. That sounds helpful to language over all. I see too many instances in my cases where someone is describing everything as "he did this, and then he went over to him, and he got this, and then they were there."

makare

exactly in Latin you have a bunch of different ones you can use for just those circumstances.

Krisken

Krisken

I know my father-in-law often says things like "Where is it... the thing." I'm always telling him "Use your nouns, Chris. What is 'it'? What is 'the thing'?"

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

The no gender thing. How do you distinguish people in a sentence? I've always thought more pronouns would be good like in latin.
Nouns, names and adjective phrases. In Finnish you can't say, for instance, "He kissed her" in word for word. It would be "Hän suuteli häntä", which sounds silly and nonsensical. However, you can say for instance "Hän suuteli tyttöä", "He kissed the girl", whereupon you differentiate between the two actors in this romantic mini-play.

Mathias

Mathias

I know my father-in-law often says things like "Where is it... the thing." I'm always telling him "Use your nouns, Chris. What is 'it'? What is 'the thing'?"
"Hey, Marge... where's that metal dealy you use to... dig... food with?"

Espy

Espy

That is exactly how my father in law talks.

makare

Nouns, names and adjective phrases. In Finnish you can't say, for instance, "He kissed her" in word for word. It would be "Hän suuteli häntä", which sounds silly and nonsensical. However, you can say for instance "Hän suuteli tyttöä", "He kissed the girl", whereupon you differentiate between the two actors in this romantic mini-play.
And all the animals in the swamp sang along.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

And all the animals in the swamp sang along.
Wait, what?

Baerdog

Baerdog

You live in a fantasy world.

Bones

Bones

i for one continue to be annoyed with people who give me the holier than thou attitude about something. lately for me its been that I am not a real fan because I don't eat sleep and breath my hobby....

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Espy

Espy

i for one continue to be annoyed with people who give me the holier than thou attitude about something. lately for me its been that I am not a real fan because I don't eat sleep and breath my hobby....
Sounds to me like those people might need a refresher on what the difference between a Hobby and a JOB is...

Bones

Bones

haha thanks espy, it was mostly a dick waving contest on who was the bigger fan in a group, I conceded immediately because I dont buy all the extra stuff related to anime like figures, posters, etc etc...I am also not big on conventions. thus I am not a real fan. its unfortunate really that people are such massive pricks

figmentPez

figmentPez

Don't you know? You have to be qualified if you want to have a hobby! If you don't play games on the hardest difficutly, you're not a video gamer. If you didn't beat King's Quest 3 without a walkthrough (and love every minute of dead ends and illogical deaths), you're not an adventure game fan. If you don't buy at least $50 worth of comic books a week, you're not a fan of comics in any form. If your television isn't professionally color calibrated and set to 24p mode (with frame interpolation turned off) you obviously just don't get cinema. Unless you're listening to lossless encoded music (or vinyl) on professional quality headphones, you're not really hearing the music and you aren't enjoying it like a true fan would. If you get any of your ingredients from a can or mix, you not really cooking at all. It's not really camping if you didn't carry everything on your back for at least a dozen miles. etc. etc.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

So basically, genre-specific hipsters?

Tress

Tress

So basically, genre-specific hipsters?
I was thinking this exact same thing.

Bones

Bones

i guess I am just not cool enough

makare

Here's one, people who confuse rebelling against Political Correctness with rebelling against common courtesy.

Espy

Espy

Don't you know? You have to be qualified if you want to have a hobby! If you don't play games on the hardest difficutly, you're not a video gamer. If you didn't beat King's Quest 3 without a walkthrough (and love every minute of dead ends and illogical deaths), you're not an adventure game fan. If you don't buy at least $50 worth of comic books a week, you're not a fan of comics in any form. If your television isn't professionally color calibrated and set to 24p mode (with frame interpolation turned off) you obviously just don't get cinema. Unless you're listening to lossless encoded music (or vinyl) on professional quality headphones, you're not really hearing the music and you aren't enjoying it like a true fan would. If you get any of your ingredients from a can or mix, you not really cooking at all. It's not really camping if you didn't carry everything on your back for at least a dozen miles. etc. etc.
I know those people. They are some of the most annoying people in the world.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

People who can't use "there," "their," and "they're" correctly really annoy me. Also, living in Texas I have to put up with people who can't say the word "Yankee" without putting "damn" in front of it. I have a feeling that my anthro seminar on warfare will get pretty lively when we get into the Civil War. I just might have to school a few of them with my facts.

Philosopher B.

Giant prudes. Life is so much more goddamn relaxing if you don't get uptight about shit. Use the F word, smoke a bowl. Watch how fast your butt cheeks unclench. I mean, obviously I'm phrasing this in a hyperbolic fashion, but GATdamn.

Don't get your 1950s all over me.

I just had this shirt fuckin' washed.
Added at: 20:03
People who can't use "there," "their," and "they're" correctly really annoy me.
Kill these people. Also kill anyone too fucking lazy to spell out 'you.' It's three mother-humping letters. What are you going to with the few seconds you saved up over the course of your miserable life just bothering with the 'U'? Save the whales? I don't fucking think.
Added at: 20:06
Life is so much more goddamn relaxing if you don't get uptight about shit.
Kill these people.
Also, hypocrites? Fuck 'em.

Gusto

Gusto

I saw an apostrophe today that made me kinda irate.

Cajungal

Cajungal

This thread is to get out all your pet peeve rants as they come along.

I hate it when people use the words 'yummy' and 'belly', especially together in a sentence. "That sushi was really yummy." "That Mexican food found a home in my belly". "I'm so full from yummy burgers in my belly."

Grow the fuck up! You're not five years old!
Oh my God. I was complaining about that about a week ago. I also hate the word "yummy."

LittleSin

LittleSin

Is the word tasty okay?

Espy

Espy

I may have mentioned it before here but (warning! Generalization ahead! Clearly there are instances where calling is acceptable :p ) I still really hate it when people call to see if I'm hiring. Get off your lazy butt and walk 2 blocks from your dorm and fill out an application, ask for an interview in person, get to know the folks who already work for me, etc. We only hire 1 or 2 folks a year and it ain't gonna be the mumbling 19 year old kid who calls and goes, "Um, yeah, um, like, um, are you guys, um, like, um, hiring right now?"

Cajungal

Cajungal

Tasty doesn't bug me. I don't even really know why yummy does. At any rate, it's not enough to wreck my day. :p

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Kill these people. Also kill anyone too fucking lazy to spell out 'you.' It's three mother-humping letters. What are you going to with the few seconds you saved up over the course of your miserable life just bothering with the 'U'? Save the whales? I don't fucking think.
Somehow I don't think the school administration would look kindly upon a policy of termination in the sophomore English class. Though I have to admit, people failing simple things like not understanding the difference between "he's" and "his" or saying "brother guitar" when talking about their brother's guitar can get a bit irksome.

Espy

Espy

Man, language is a fascinating thing isn't it? The way it changes, for better or worse, is just so interesting.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

A-yup.

makare

my sister texts cum instead of come. So i get these texts "I m cumming" "r u cumming?"

gah.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Does she know what that means? I mean is she savvy to those things?

Docseverin

Docseverin

Moist!

makare

Does she know what that means? I mean is she savvy to those things?
she knows. she is just stupid. whenever i tell her to spell it right she just rolls her eyes at me.

Espy

Espy

Whenever we go visit my in-laws me make sure to get our gas at the Kum and Go or as I call it, the "Ejaculate and Evacuate".

Piotyr

Piotyr

my sister texts cum instead of come. So i get these texts "I m cumming" "r u cumming?"

gah.
Does she realize that "cumming" is not actually an abbreviation, and is in fact an elongation?

makare

She doesn't realize much.

Philosopher B.

When Mark Zuckerberg got the note that read 'U dick' I immediately thought, 'Yeah, but I bet he can spell out Y-O-U. Who's the dick now, huh?'

Disowning time.
Is the word tasty okay?
I know what Satan would say.

Satan said:
Check this riff, it's fuckin' tasty!

Man, language is a fascinating thing isn't it? The way it changes, for better or worse, is just so interesting.
True that. Language is fuckin' crazy!

Somehow I don't think the school administration would look kindly upon a policy of termination in the sophomore English class. Though I have to admit, people failing simple things like not understanding the difference between "he's" and "his" or saying "brother guitar" when talking about their brother's guitar can get a bit irksome.
Well, I mean, if English is your second language, don't be doing the killing thing. Maybe the occasional backhand.

Also, I don't how this post got this long-looking. Is the formatting on this weird or something?

makare

Oh yeah pet peeve stuff that sounds like baby talk. I hate it when wives use the term hubby. I HATE IT. It sounds infantile.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Oh yeah pet peeve stuff that sounds like baby talk. I hate it when wives use the term hubby. I HATE IT. It sounds infantile.
Oops.

Wasabi Poptart

I hate it when people give me parenting advice when I haven't asked for it.

Espy

Espy

I hate it when people give me parenting advice when I haven't asked for it.
Yeah, while not the same thing I hate it when people give me advice about my business when I haven't asked for it. Especially when it's clear they have zero concept of what I do or how I do it. Always fun.

Mathias

Mathias

Tasty doesn't bug me. I don't even really know why yummy does. At any rate, it's not enough to wreck my day. :p

Yummy bothers me because it's a child's word. It's a word used by children to describe their food. If you're an adult, goddamn it, use adult language to describe your food!

Philosopher B.

Mathias

Mathias

I hate it when people draw out long intricate revenge plots for convicted felons, and or people on trial for heinous crimes. Example: child murderer is on trial, and someone brings up the news story coverage. "Oh man, they should skin that guy alive and hang him upside-down by his pinkie toes while the other convicts take turns fucking his eye sockets and pissing in his mouth."

Or the grand ol' "I'd do this and that to the person if you locked me in the same room with them."

Revenge fantasies are annoying.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I know where you are coming from, but I just think it is a gut reaction to hearing about something horrible.

When I see that on Yahoo! I tend to reply to those people that violent revenge is not a very Christian response. Then watch them fly into a rage for doubting their religious beliefs.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I hate it when people draw out long intricate revenge plots for convicted felons, and or people on trial for heinous crimes. Example: child murderer is on trial, and someone brings up the news story coverage. "Oh man, they should skin that guy alive and hang him upside-down by his pinkie toes while the other convicts take turns fucking his eye sockets and pissing in his mouth."

Or the grand ol' "I'd do this and that to the person if you locked me in the same room with them."

Revenge fantasies are annoying.

^ I really do not like these people. I remember actually slapping someone who went on one of those ramblings.

Gusto

Gusto

Aw but longwinded threats are so much more entertaining when they're coming from Tycho.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But not so much when it is an internet nobody, making threats about a negligent parent...

Tress

Tress

But not so much when it is an internet nobody, making threats about a negligent parent...
Context is king. The PA strip is funny because it is both well-written randomness and an ironically over-the-top reaction to a small issue. Random internet douchebags making sloppy threats for serious crimes is not funny in any way. I totally agree with Mathias that it is incredibly annoying, and I think the PA strip works because it plays into that.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

At work: Frickin' chit-chatters. I don't care that your cousin had a baby!! No, I am not political -- take your rant about Obama/Tea Party elsewhere. Yes, I get it, our boss is inept. Please leave me alone. --- I just want to go to work. Do my work. Go home.

On the road: Just about everything. I am not a very forgiving driver. The worst: Slow drivers in the fast lane, people goofing off/chatting at a red light which makes me 4 seconds late, and people that slow down when they get to a green light. Ugh.

In the class: Students that refuse to pay attention while I am lecturing and then ask the most ridiculous questions. The worst are the ones that ask me what the next step is in the exercise instead of A) Looking on the board where it is likely written B) Taking notes when I lectured 3 min ago. C) Looking in their lab manual. D) Asking a neighbor. I guess college kids are to be spoon fed these days.

Jiarn

Sounds like you hate people. Good thing you don't work in a very social envi.... oh wait....

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Sounds like you hate people. Good thing you don't work in a very social envi.... oh wait....
Eh, I'm not really a misanthrope, but I do have my days. My wife says I've already reached grumpy old man status.

Last week was a pain in the ass, so my view is a bit skewed right now.

Wasabi Poptart

The two hour window. Every time something needs to be delivered or fixed, it is going to be done within a two hour window instead of at a specific time. For some reason that two hours of waiting ruins my entire day.

fade

fade

YES.

I seem to run into this about twice a month on the internet. I'm almost afraid to say, "I like X," because invariably someone is going to start talking technically about it, and then call me on it for not knowing it at their obsessive level of detail.

Here's a pet peeve. I am a grammar Nazi, but I cannot stand when people on the web point out errors that were obviously just typos. Time and a place, you know?

makare

I cannot stand when people on the web point out errors that were obviously just typos.
I just agreed with fade and one of my biggest pet peeves is agreeing with fade.

Piotyr

Piotyr

My pet peeves:

- Typing in txt/leetspeak on forums, or any other online entity that doesn't charge per-character. It's english, use it!
- People using their Facebook statuses like chain letters. The next evolution of annoy!
- People who post on forums specifically in an effort to get a negative reaction from others. Seems like a complete waste of time for everyone involved, and if that's how you get your jollies, then I feel sorry for you more than anything.

Work
- Professors who talk down to others because of their educational status.
- Students who talk down to everyone because of their ego.

General
- People that present their opinion as fact, and then referencing that opinion as a basis for future arguments.
- People who argue your point endlessly on semantics, and completely ignore the actual point.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Say it again, motherfucker! Say "heighth" again!

Also, people who look up in their rearview and go "OSHIT NIGGA, THE PO-PO," and immediately stand on the brake to 5 mph UNDER the limit.

I JUST WANT TO GET AROUND YOUR ASS SO I CAN GET TO MY CALL! ALL. OF. MY. HATE.

Wasabi Poptart

OC - all I can think of is this when I read your pet peeve:

Null

Null

People who say "bolth" instead of "both", or "welp" instead of "well". Welp is not a real word in English. Whelp means to give birth, or an infant mammal. For some reason "welp" really annoys me.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

People who say "bolth" instead of "both"
"Seriously dude... like an ASS"

Null

Null

"Seriously dude... like an ASS"
You just got Sarge'd!

Espy

Espy

People who say "bolth" instead of "both", or "welp" instead of "well". Welp is not a real word in English. Whelp means to give birth, or an infant mammal. For some reason "welp" really annoys me.
I always thought "welp" was due generally to an accent, like how old guys from Maine talk in stephen king books.

fade

fade

Pet peeve: drivers who pass me for the sake of passing someone, and then start going slower than I was going before they passed me.

linglingface

linglingface

I'm not a fan of the word 'prego'. That is spaghetti sauce and I will not be using that word when I'm pregnant.
Maybe I will make a facebook photo album named "Prego Photos" and post pics of bottle of sauce, though.

bhamv3

bhamv3

People who write "should of" instead of "should have."

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm not a fan of the word 'prego'. That is spaghetti sauce and I will not be using that word when I'm pregnant.
Maybe I will make a facebook photo album named "Prego Photos" and post pics of bottle of sauce, though.
My idiot brother, while I was watching the Academy Awards, announced "She's preggers!" when Natalie Portman came on stage. I wanted to punch him.
Added at: 22:29
This. A billion times this.

linglingface

linglingface

I work in retail and I hate when customers come into the store, I ask them how their day is going, and they say, "No thanks, just looking."

Wasabi Poptart

My idiot brother, while I was watching the Academy Awards, announced "She's preggers!" when Natalie Portman came on stage. I wanted to punch him.
YES! I can't stand the cutesy crap. Hubby and hubster drive me up a wall, too.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Is "should've" acceptable?
Added at: 23:55
ChubbyHubby.JPG

I find this frozen dessert to be most delectable and pleasing to my gastronomic preferences.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Is "should've" acceptable?
More than acceptable, even more than preferable. It should be the only option.

I mean, I can understand why people might get that wrong, but that doesn't make it right.

LordRendar

LordRendar

When people use Numbers instead of letters in their MMO Avatar (example: ic3 Wolf, N8t man).Drives me up the fucking wall.

Jiarn

It's used as a term of endearment in our household. Just something we've used for everyone we love who's had a child. I can't imagine it being used to annoy. How is it usually worded around you?

When people use Numbers instead of letters in their MMO Avatar (example: ic3 Wolf, N8t man).Drives me up the fucking wall.
Or the 30,000 versions of "Seffirawth"

makare

I'm with Heatherling any use of the word prego or preggers I generally feel is tacky and annoying.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

How do y'all feel about "bun in the oven?"

My peeve is people that flip out over terms of endearment and slang.

Jiarn

Well our family is pretty tacky....

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well our family is pretty tacky....
Isn't that awesome?

makare

When someone is pregnant I just say "she's pregnant" but the only terms that annoy me are preggo/preggers and knocked up. It's like being in a crappy teen movie.

Jiarn

Isn't that awesome?
I personally thought so, turns out, it's annoying....

makare

How do y'all feel about "bun in the oven?"

My peeve is people that flip out over terms of endearment and slang.
If you are implying that I am flipping out I don't think that's how a pet peeve works. They are more eye rolling than flipping out.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Threatening to punch someone in the arm for saying preggers... there are other posts here that are flip out material.

You're not the only one in this thread.

makare

That sounds more like wishful thinking. So wishful.

Jiarn

I have no idea how that post connects in any way to sixpackshaker's....

makare

The wishful thinking thing? I am saying it is wishful thinking that you could be allowed to punch someone in the arm for doing or saying something that annoys you. We can't really. Not even in kindergarten.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Sometimes I wonder what world you live in, Makare.

makare

The one where AIDS is bad and we can't punch people even if we want to.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

AIDS is bad, and friends punch each other in the arm all the time. What color is the sky where you are from?

makare

Bones

Bones

i would guess purple?

makare

A friendly punch isn't really the same as an "I'm pissed off and hate you" punch.

Which leads to my new pet peeve, people who act intentionally dense.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You do it by accident?

Gusto

Gusto

A friendly punch isn't really the same as an "I'm pissed off and hate you" punch.
I don't think that's how a pet peeve works. They are more eye rolling than flipping out.
:I

makare

What?

Jiarn

I'm completely lost by your train of thought makare, I'm not the only one...

makare

Preggo is an annoying term.
If someone wants to beat someone up because something annoys them it is probably more than a pet peeve.
Punching a friend in the arm in jest or in fun is not the same as wanting to actual cause them harm out of anger or extreme annoyance.

How's that? Pretty much a summary of the last page.

Gusto

Gusto

Half an hour ago, you claimed that pet peeves were annoyances worthy of an eyeroll.

Now you seem to be implying that you can't hit the person who perpetrates them, despite the fact you're "pissed off and hate them."

Hate's just a pretty strong term for someone who makes you roll your eyes.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Look, I would never actually punch anyone over a word. If I was willing to, then I would have actually punched him. It was hyperbole! I suppose I could have said "I find the term 'preggers' particularly annoying" but I think that my way was more colourful, and conveyed the same sentiment, with an exagerration for impact. I'm not saying I'm a poet, but I didn't think my post would be seen as a literal threat against people who have their share of cutesy terms for pregnant.

Man. Being misinterpreted makes me want to kick a kitten.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But the kitten deserved it.

makare

Half an hour ago, you claimed that pet peeves were annoyances worthy of an eyeroll.

Now you seem to be implying that you can't hit the person who perpetrates them, despite the fact you're "pissed off and hate them."

Hate's just a pretty strong term for someone who makes you roll your eyes.
And those pissed off and hate you people would be well beyond a pet peeve.

FFS.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well pet peeves are minor annoyances that really make you angry.

The person that has a screaming fit over an "up" toilet seat. Is some one with a pet peeve. It's minor and inconsequential, but the person gets angry anyway.

And I hold an anger for people that get angry over trivial events.

Gusto

Gusto

Man I don't think I get that angry ever.

makare

To me pet peeves are just things that merely annoy me and so I bitch about them. Things that make me angry go under the "things that make me angry" header.

Things that make me angry AND annoy me are thankfully few.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I've been accused of having too even of a keel. I won $800 on a slot machine... and shrugged.

fade

fade

Ah, posting a minor annoyance, and having everyone interpret it as something more....

I wonder how that feels.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You would say that....

Jiarn

Yeah, gosh Fade. You would say that.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You guys are reacting like Fade said something besides "Everything sucks and I hate it all." Quit interpreting his post as anything different.

Espy

Espy

I'm going to punch everyone here.

Jiarn

Not if I punch you first.

I hit babies, I'm a rock star.

linglingface

linglingface

I'm just not a fan of the word, not much else to it. I'd rather just say pregnant. Same amout of syllables, after all.

fade

fade

Same here. Extend that to "anyone who speaks like Shelley from Northern Exposure".

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Reading the new food combo thread reminded me of one of my pet peeves.

People that put ketchup on everything.

I cooked steaks for a double date, and my friend's date wanted to put ketchup on the steak that I spent hours getting "just right." If you do that, please don't do it when some one cooks for you. You can insult the cook after you tried the meal first.

Philosopher B.

People that put ketchup on everything.

Espy

Espy

Pet Peeve: When I used to wait tables I would have these morbidly obese guys and gals come in and order a salad. Good for them right? Except it was always the salad that had fried chicken, tons of cheese, maybe some more cheese and then they would dump blue cheese or ranch all over it until it resembled oddly colored mashed potatoes. Sometimes they would actually use MAYO instead of salad dressing because I guess they weren't dying fast enough.

Of course every got-danged time they ordered this? They would say the same thing: "I'm being healthy today!"

Null

Null

Pet Peeve: When I used to wait tables I would have these morbidly obese guys and gals come in and order a salad. Good for them right? Except it was always the salad that had fried chicken, tons of cheese, maybe some more cheese and then they would dump blue cheese or ranch all over it until it resembled oddly colored mashed potatoes. Sometimes they would actually use MAYO instead of salad dressing because I guess they weren't dying fast enough.

Of course every got-danged time they ordered this? They would say the same thing: "I'm being healthy today!":Leyla:
God, that fucking annoys me, too. I'm an obese dude, but on the rare occasion that I order a salad, it's just a goddamn salad. I don't like salad dressing for the most part (I usually just put a little salt on it). But most of the time? I'll go right ahead and order the cheeseburger. It's not a mystery how I got in this shape. When I'm going out to eat, it's because I want something different, not because I'm trying to impress someone.

I dislike when the waitstaff at a restaurant gets annoyed because I have a question about the special - Sorry it's such a big imposition, but I don't know what a "Double Maguffin Sandwich" is and I'd like to know more before I order it.

fade

fade

Pet peeve: being the first appointment of the day at the doctor's office, and still having to wait 30 minutes!

Cajungal

Cajungal

The goddamn teacher's lounge. It's a sea of Lean Cuisines and bitching about fat butts. I eat outdoors in the sunshine where I can enjoy my peanut butter sandwich without some lady talking about how she "could never have that."

Gusto

Gusto

The goddamn teacher's lounge. It's a sea of Lean Cuisines and bitching about fat butts. I eat outdoors in the sunshine where I can enjoy my peanut butter sandwich without some lady talking about how she "could never have that."
I love this post.

Espy

Espy

Sounds like CG gonna have to lay the smackdown on a ho.

Cajungal

Cajungal

They're ALL nice ladies... until they whip out their sad, bland little meals and start clucking about what Oprah or whoever said about weight loss.
Added at: 22:16
*sigh* I needed that.

Wasabi Poptart

This thread makes me laugh. Ha.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Photographers who don't label their cosplay photos! I understand not having shots from a convention labeled. If you shot a pic of an awesome costume, you might not know what it is. I'm talking about giant photoshoots with dozens of pics. They have the location, the type of camera, the lighting used, the camera settings, the name of the model, with lots of tags for all sorts of stuff, but they don't put down the name of the character! ARGH so much information, but not what I need.

Vagabond

Vagabond

That 90% of the local population loses its shit at traffic circles.

Wasabi Poptart

People who live beyond their means and then cry about how they have no money a day after pay day.

Gusto

Gusto

People who live beyond their means and then cry about how they have no money a day after pay day.
Wildsoul, I find myself liking you more and more.

Wasabi Poptart

Pfft. I had you at

Gusto

Gusto

Truth, but gosh darnit you're a cool lady.

Wasabi Poptart

Baerdog

Baerdog

Pet peeve relative to this week: group presentation partners that are IMPOSSIBLE to set a meeting with. I've been asking you since Sunday if you are available to meet on Thursday to go over our project (due Monday) before I leave town for the weekend. Just give me a damn answer!

fade

fade

They're ALL nice ladies... until they whip out their sad, bland little meals and start clucking about what Oprah or whoever said about weight loss.
*sigh* I needed that.
I totally agree. Extrapolate it to everything the complainer could do something about. I hate being told I'm "lucky" that I'm nearing 40 and get mistaken for an undergrad all the time. It ain't luck. I exercise everyday. I don't eat 30 lbs of food a meal. It's hard work and will power. Don't blow it off as "luck" because you can't do it.

Cajungal

Cajungal

...You're almost 40? Nuh uh.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

OK Fade, I'll spoiler tag my reply because it is a little insulting...

I thought you were about 40, because when I see your "do" I picture you breaking out into the chorus of Runaway Train...

fade

fade

Dave Pirner? You, sir, offend. Cobain, maybe.

*gauntlet slap*

(I'm only 35, I just meant it more in a rounded sense.)

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

*sigh* I needed that.
This is why I usually eat in a better-than-usual gas station on the way, and not bring my meal into the teachers' lounge.

Tress

Tress

I was on a phone with someone just now, and he said "boughten." As in, "I just boughten that."

Argh.

Jay

Jay

I was on a phone with someone just now, and he said "boughten." As in, "I just boughten that."

Argh.

Null

Null

Argh.
Boughten? God damn.

That's like that "Chronicles of George" and the "havening" (meaning "have" or "has")

LittleSin

LittleSin

Ok. This is the best image.

makare

Boughten? God damn.

That's like that "Chronicles of George" and the "havening" (meaning "have" or "has")
Boughten is a word in the same sense as taken, written or sown.

You are dead to me.

fade

fade

It's actually in the O.E.D. as an adjective meaning "bought rather than homemade". Not as a verb, though.

makare

When I use boughten (and it is colloquial I suppose but totally still a word) I would say "this or that thing was boughten instead of homemade". So yeah as an adjective. Although I suppose I might use it as "something had been boughten" like i would say "something had been written". I would never say I boughten something.

Gusto

Gusto

I had a lot of trouble wit that at some point so now I typically default to "purchased".

Null

Null

Here it's just "bought". It's one of those regional things. I had seriously never heard "boughten" before.

Gusto

Gusto

We say things in the Commonwealth that would make your skin crawl.

Mathias

Mathias

When I use boughten (and it is colloquial I suppose but totally still a word) I would say "this or that thing was boughten instead of homemade". So yeah as an adjective. Although I suppose I might use it as "something had been boughten" like i would say "something had been written". I would never say I boughten something.

Well now you're just speaking in passive voice to hide the fact that boughten sounds stupid as a strong verb.

makare

It is used the same way as written. What is a strong verb? If you mean active verb then yeah it isn't the active form so it wouldn't be used that way.

You wouldn't say "I written that" but it doesn't change the value of written as a word.

Mathias

Mathias

It is used the same way as written. What is a strong verb? If you mean active verb then yeah it isn't the active form so it wouldn't be used that way.

You wouldn't say "I written that" but it doesn't change the value of written as a word.
I wouldn't say "that had been written" or "I had written that". I'd use the active voice and say "I wrote that." Just like I'd say "I bought that"; not "I had boughten that".

I know boughten is a real word, but it just sounds goofy and unintelligent.

makare

What about saying "the declaration of independence was written in 1776"?

"The groceries had been boughten and the dinner had been made".

The art had been stolen before the alarm went off. The picture had been taken and everyone had gone home.

Mathias

Mathias

ugh, I'm letting this go.

Boughten, to me, sounds like a backwoods redneck word.

Gusto

Gusto

It's passive voice and a lot of writers will tell you to avoid the passive voice whenever possible.

Boughten sounds particularly dumb, and I'd rather say "the groceries had been purchased." It means the same thing and no one will start a page-long forum discussion whining about me. :awesome:

makare

Purchased is way too formal for me. I don't think boughten sounds dumb at all, but I do love the passive voice. I am a bit old fashioned that way. When the pendulum swings and passive voice is popular again maybe boughten will return to the main stream.

Unfortunately people probably will be speaking in chatspeak by then. Except for us old fashioned types who hold onto correct forms even after they fall out of favor.

Gusto

Gusto

Word.

And thanks for implying that my choice of words is incorrect, ephemeral, and will be replaced by numbers.

makare

That is the second time you have said I imply things. I think the problem is you assume to much.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That is the second time you have said I imply things. I think the problem is you assume to much.
Imply... or implode?

makare

implodEN goddamn it!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't think boughten sounds old fashioned. I think it just sounds dumb. Sorry makare, I have to side with everyone else.

Vagabond

Vagabond

When the pendulum swings and passive voice is popular again maybe boughten will return to the main stream
This is my nightmare scenario.

makare

I think it just sounds dumb.
Well.. SO'S YOUR FACE!*

No seriously, I don't care if people think it sounds dumb. It is mostly a colloquial thing anymore and so it doesn't really matter. It IS a word though. That is the important thing.

*I never get to say that in a context that makes sense

Tress

Tress

Well.. SO'S YOUR FACE!*

No seriously, I don't care if people think it sounds dumb. It is mostly a colloquial thing anymore and so it doesn't really matter. It IS a word though. That is the important thing.

*I never get to say that in a context that makes sense
No, the important thing is that the word was incorrectly. Perhaps it is in the O.E.D., but not for use in that context. I have no doubt the person I spoke to used it in place of bought, purchased, or acquired. It was used incorrectly, and it was a silly mistake that I would think a 29 year old man would avoid.

makare

No, the important thing is that the word was incorrectly. Perhaps it is in the O.E.D., but not for use in that context. I have no doubt the person I spoke to used it in place of bought, purchased, or acquired. It was used incorrectly, and it was a silly mistake that I would think a 29 year old man would avoid.
I did say I wouldn't use it that way. I think it is generally agreed that the person you talked to used it wrong. My initial response was to null's reacting in a way that seemed to suggest it wasn't a word at all.

Also just to be clear whether or not anyone likes the word or not isn't a big deal to me. It is a word I use and like because I think it makes more sense in every day speech than other words with similar meanings. Some people think it sounds stupid *shrug* what ya gonna do?

Jiarn

"The groceries had been boughten and the dinner had been made".
I always say "The groceries had been bought...."

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Dave Pirner? You, sir, offend. Cobain, maybe.

*gauntlet slap*

(I'm only 35, I just meant it more in a rounded sense.)
Take the Pirner look over Cobain. Cobain ended up with Courtney Love when Pirner was basically married to Winona Ryder...

fade

fade

It's passive voice and a lot of writers will tell you to avoid the passive voice whenever possible.
A lot of writers unfortunately also extrapolate their strict "no passive voice" rule to all writing. Passive voice certainly belongs in technical writing, or any place where the actor is either irrelevant or would be uncomfortably present in active voice. You can use active sentences when possible by shifting the action over to a non-human speaker ("A magnetic anomaly was present in the sample" vs. "Magnetic susceptibility testing showed an anomaly in sample THX1138"), but sometimes the second feels really off.

Mathias

Mathias

I really don't know why 'boughten' has become the embiggened topic of this thread. Let's all just agree that it's a perfectly cromulant word to use.
Added at: 10:18
A lot of writers unfortunately also extrapolate their strict "no passive voice" rule to all writing. Passive voice certainly belongs in technical writing, or any place where the actor is either irrelevant or would be uncomfortably present in active voice. You can use active sentences when possible by shifting the action over to a non-human speaker ("A magnetic anomaly was present in the sample" vs. "Magnetic susceptibility testing showed an anomaly in sample THX1138"), but sometimes the second feels really off.
Ah science journals. That magical land where passive voice rules with an iron fist.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Boughten imbiggens the spirit.

Mathias

Mathias

Around here "outen" is a commonly used verb. Anytime I hear someone ask to "outen the lights," I want to punch them in the head.
Added at: 10:36
Pet Peeve rant:

I hate it when I'm wearing clothes with the Penn State logo, and some jackass tries to start the "We are..." chant. We're not at a game asshole. You sound like an idiot.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I really don't know why 'boughten' has become the embiggened topic of this thread. Let's all just agree that it's a perfectly cromulant word to use.
Added at: 10:18

Ah science journals. That magical land where passive voice rules with an iron fist.
Ugh. I was trained to write the passive voice for technical papers and I am doing everything I can to undo that training.

Disconnected

Dear internet,

Please stop using 'Epic'.

Sincerely
Me.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Dear internet,

Please stop using 'Epic'.

Sincerely
Me.
2010-10-04.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I don't mind the "net" using it... it is the Network News using it.

If you are over 40 and are on TV don't say Epic...

fade

fade

Ugh. I was trained to write the passive voice for technical papers and I am doing everything I can to undo that training.
It's not necessarily wrong. I think too many people are rapping knuckles with the "No Passive Voice" stick. Sometimes it's appropriate. Chaining 10 passive sentences together on the other hand is professor-grade sedative. I think a bigger problem is padding and prepositional phrase chaining. Dear students, stop using "as well as" instead of "and", etc. And stop writing sentences like, "The measurement of the length of the grain of the mineral in the rock from the basin in the Gulf of Mexico." That sentence is like 3 times longer than it should be.

MindDetective

MindDetective

It's not necessarily wrong. I think too many people are rapping knuckles with the "No Passive Voice" stick. Sometimes it's appropriate. Chaining 10 passive sentences together on the other hand is professor-grade sedative. I think a bigger problem is padding and prepositional phrase chaining. Dear students, stop using "as well as" instead of "and", etc. And stop writing sentences like, "The measurement of the length of the grain of the mineral in the rock from the basin in the Gulf of Mexico." That sentence is like 3 times longer than it should be.
Yeah, I use a blend of active and passive at the moment. I'm not sure I like even that, really. In psychology research, you really do have to consider the experimenter. We are studying people and, as social animals, being people can influence that. I think it is worthwhile in my discipline to acknowledge that I (or my research assistants) were actors in the experiment, even if we have removed as much of that influence as possible. It was ultimately I that created the stimuli and the researchers who administered the instructions, etc.
Added at: 10:24
Also, I would argue that when referring to previous research, it is both more interesting and more respectful to identify the actors that conducted the research and how they interpreted it than to simply refer to their experiment as something that happened.

Krisken

Krisken

Huh. Here I thought that people preferred an occasional "as well as" instead of always reading "and". I never felt like I was padding my papers when I switched up my phrasing. Maybe it seemed like it from the other side and I never knew it.

Mathias

Mathias

That's been a problem for my students as well. I think it stems from English Lit classes teaching them to flower their sentences with padded bullshit. That's just the way that field is. Science requires you to pack a butt-ton of information in as few words as possible.
Added at: 11:46
Huh. Here I thought that people preferred an occasional "as well as" instead of always reading "and". I never felt like I was padding my papers when I switched up my phrasing. Maybe it seemed like it from the other side and I never knew it.
Not in science. Science papers are boring as fuck as a result.

fade

fade

I find "as well as" and "in order to" uncomfortable, both in speech and writing. I've seen plenty of interesting science papers that are written very conversationally, too. There's a difference between a conversational style and stodgy padding, though.

Krisken

Krisken

Ah, science. Now I understand. :)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

SCIENCE!!!

Tress

Tress

That's been a problem for my students as well. I think it stems from English Lit classes teaching them to flower their sentences with padded bullshit. That's just the way that field is. Science requires you to pack a butt-ton of information in as few words as possible. Not in science. Science papers are boring as fuck as a result.
Well, it works well for English papers. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just that students need to learn that different fields require different writing styles.

Gusto

Gusto

My high scool essays were always prized for being lucid and concise. :D

I think it's because I tended to write them last minute or in exam scenarios, so they'd be fairly stream-of-consciousness.

Mathias

Mathias

Well, it works well for English papers. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just that students need to learn that different fields require different writing styles.
Not really. Any sort of writing that gets padded with purple prose and other shit generally sucks.

MindDetective

MindDetective

That's what makes the Lord of the Rings so painful to read. Really.

Tress

Tress

Not really. Any sort of writing that gets padded with purple prose and other shit generally sucks.
There's a difference between purple prose and using stylistic choices like passive voice on occasion.

Another pet peeve: science and math majors who smugly prop up their own academic fields while trashing humanities.*

*I'm not saying you're doing this right now, it just reminded me of another recent incident

Krisken

Krisken

What makes LotR painful to read is that he'll spend 5 pages talking about the fucking trees. That's hardly the same as varying the word choice.

Tress

Tress

I think I'm talking about something completely different from the rest of you now. I agree that purple prose is terrible.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I really like LotR but I think my brain auto skipa any unneeded or long winded details. :p

Krisken

Krisken

I know in general we agree that going into painfully boring detail and being descriptive to the point of distraction is bad form. On that I agree with Mathias and Mind Detective. I just think that being clinical to the point of being dry can be just as painful.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I'm trying to think of a book thats kind of 'poetic' but also clinical and some times cold or dispassionate.

The first one i find myself thinking or is Night by Eli Wiesel.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I know in general we agree that going into painfully boring detail and being descriptive to the point of distraction is bad form. On that I agree with Mathias and Mind Detective. I just think that being clinical to the point of being dry can be just as painful.
Hey, I'm with you! I try to take my lessons on scientific writing from short prose. Keep it concise and interesting (but also complete and honest).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I really like LotR but I think my brain auto skipa any unneeded or long winded details. :p
So you read a 500 page version? I think I'd have liked that version more.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Drop a few songs and epic poems also and it would be a manuscript...

fade

fade

Hey, I'm with you! I try to take my lessons on scientific writing from short prose. Keep it concise and interesting (but also complete and honest).
I totally agree. Like I said, I love conversationally written papers. I know several authors in my field whose papers are actually fun to read. That doesn't necessarily mean purple prose or the like. An example of conversational style might be: "Now consider the often-maligned role the atmospheric electric field plays in collection of field data...." versus "Data as well as additional effects of fields originating from the environment must be considered in order to understand..."

Baerdog

Baerdog

I just got back from Vienna (which was amazing) with another pet peeve: large groups of less than punctual people which take forever to assemble, come to a consensus, and get moving. It really displeases me to be standing around after the supposed meeting time watching the minutes tick by while people are still getting their shit together/figuring out what the plan even is/flirting with whomever. Give me three other punctual people and we'll be able to tour an entire city in a weekend. Make me do it with twenty? We'll barely see the outside of the hostel.

fade

fade

YES. Totally. I cannot stand endless debate. I really hate it when the debate starts to circulate around and repeat. Any group involving the moms of elementary age kids seems to do this. It's actually the reason I'm probably not leading a cub scout den next year. I can't bear the leader meetings, which usually involve discussing the same one topic over and over. "Who is bringing the cups Monday?" "I am".. (three minutes of dull conversation).."Who is bringing the cups Monday?" ...

Jiarn

What makes LotR painful to read is that he'll spend 5 pages talking about the fucking trees. That's hardly the same as varying the word choice.
Well trees, and walking... then walking trees....

Baerdog

Baerdog

YES. Totally. I cannot stand endless debate. I really hate it when the debate starts to circulate around and repeat. Any group involving the moms of elementary age kids seems to do this. It's actually the reason I'm probably not leading a cub scout den next year. I can't bear the leader meetings, which usually involve discussing the same one topic over and over. "Who is bringing the cups Monday?" "I am".. (three minutes of dull conversation).."Who is bringing the cups Monday?" ...
Blugh, oh yeah.

I really think four people is the perfect sized group for when you are going to be out and about. You can make decisions quickly, keep track of each other, get into a restaurant easily, etc. Six is and alright number too. Once you hit eight people you run into issues with the group being too big and you may as well just split into two fours.

Krisken

Krisken

Blugh, oh yeah.

I really think four people is the perfect sized group for when you are going to be out and about. You can make decisions quickly, keep track of each other, get into a restaurant easily, etc. Six is and alright number too. Once you hit eight people you run into issues with the group being too big and you may as well just split into two fours.
Yup. Anyone who has run a role playing group knows this is truth.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It was my Social Niece's first trip to the zoo. Several of my friend's extended family of friends wanted to see her see the animals for the first time. So we had 3 couples and a child. When we were done we tried to go eat out together.

First person "I don't care where we eat." (for now on refered to as I Don't Care)

I say, there's a great Vietnamese Restaurant, Kim Sung, about 3 blocks from here.

I Don't Care: "I don't feel like Vietnamese."

There's the Hunan Dragon $5 a plate and free drinks.

I Don't Care: "No, no oriental food."

Drexler's BBQ, we may even see Clyde there.

I Don't Care: "No, I don't want BBQ."

We can go to the Jolly-Science (Jalisciencia) for tacos and burritos.

I Don't Care: "Not in the mood for Mexican..."

What do you want?

I Don't Care: "I don't care"

She shot down 15 suggestions for good food. Then she chose Landry's a bloody chain restaurant in the sub-urbs instead of the fine inexpensive choices for 5 star food in Houston. At Landry's I ordered the Stir Fry Muscles and was served a large bowl of soup, for $25. I was not pleased.

Jiarn

I Don't Care = Typical Generic Braindead Female

Women with a brain will normally pick for themselves ahead of time, or will be open to good suggestions.

Baerdog

Baerdog

That is so goddamn frustrating.

Krisken

Krisken

You should have said "Shut up, you said you didn't care." Then taken her to a place that would have made a goat puke.

Jiarn

My girlfriend used to do that all the time. I'll now ask her, if she says "anything", I stop asking and drive where I want to. Works out just fine.

Cajungal

Cajungal

The fella always wants me to choose the restaurant because, if it were up to him, we'd always hit the same 3 places. I always want him to choose because he's way pickier than I am. I can find something good anywhere. When I have my own place, we'll be able to cook more often anyway.

Jiarn

I just want my SO to choose, because I'll enjoy anywhere we go and I want her to have what she really wants. When she has something specific in mind, thankfully, she tells me. If not, I choose and she typically enjoys herself.

makare

I like it when other people pick. I'll usually tell them places I definitely won't eat and then they can pick anywhere else. I generally don't get hungry for specific things so anywhere is fine.I even went to a place that sells nothing but stir fry and found stuff I liked.

Although sometimes I have trouble when I let others pick. My friend Debbie wanted to go to Five Guys so we did. Later, like days later, I was talking about how I generally don't care for burgers. although not in a reference to the dinner at Five Guys. and she felt bad. I told her it was fine which it was. In the end as long as the food isn't awful it's not a big deal.

Krisken

Krisken

Mmmm, 5 Guys burgers. Damn it, now I'm hungry.

Baerdog

Baerdog

New pet peeve: people who call me for homework help when I'm about to start dinner.

I am le hungry.

Cajungal

Cajungal

If I ever have a pet peeve moment concerning what we're going to eat, it's because the place where we went is more concerned with turnover than with making the customer feel comfortable. Enter Chili's--the worst culprit. Jake NEVER asks to go there even though he really likes their burgers. So I went with him this weekend. I couldn't even enjoy my meal, because the damn woman asked me 10 times if I was "still working on that" when I was clearly still eating. She came back every 20 seconds (I counted) at the beginning of the meal when I couldn't figure out what I wanted. Auuuuugh.

The payoff was getting to see him happily enjoy his burger, though. ^_^ He's gone to numerous sushi places with me where their cooked food was an afterthought and wasn't that good, so I owed him big time.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I like it when other people pick. I'll usually tell them places I definitely won't eat and then they can pick anywhere else. I generally don't get hungry for specific things so anywhere is fine.I even went to a place that sells nothing but stir fry and found stuff I liked.

Although sometimes I have trouble when I let others pick. My friend Debbie wanted to go to Five Guys so we did. Later, like days later, I was talking about how I generally don't care for burgers. although not in a reference to the dinner at Five Guys. and she felt bad. I told her it was fine which it was. In the end as long as the food isn't awful it's not a big deal.
Sorry to break it to you makare, but you're one of -those- people.

makare

Sorry to break it to you makare, but you're one of -those- people.
I'm one of a lot of types of people. You'll have to be specific.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Poe is the type of people who has a birthday today.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

In my group of friends, there are two of us, myself and my closest friend, who are able to make decisions. Typically the 'where should we go for dinner' question is met with a chorus of "I don't care". This would be fine, but when my friend or I suggest a place, it's followed by a chorus of "We always do what you want."

YES! We do! And we do it because you can't make a decision to save your life!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Mmmm, 5 Guys burgers. Damn it, now I'm hungry.
Argh. Me too. And until the one in town opens up in a month or two, the closest one is 90 minutes away.

makare

Are they all cement floored? I felt like i was eating in a warehouse.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There's one under construction here too. I am hearing good things, so I will have to check them out.

Disconnected

I'm one of a lot of types of people. You'll have to be specific.
Lawyer
<.< >.>

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Yup. Anyone who has run a role playing group knows this is truth.
Yup, particularly when you hang out with other grad students. I treat grad school like a full time job; I put in eight hours a day studying, writing, and teaching, and then I punch out. Getting grad students to do anything together at the same time is like herding cats. Somebody always has to grade papers, read a book, or prepare for a conference. I've pretty much given up on medical and law students because they can get called into work at pretty much any hour.

You know what a huge pet peeve of mine is? People who talk shop when we're at a bar or restaurant. Again, grad students are notorious for this. No, I don't care what you thought about that peer-reviewed article because I'm trying to relax. No, I don't want to talk about this author's methodology because it's Friday evening and I like to think school doesn't exist for at least one night.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

People that talk shop in a bar peeves me too. Especially when it is my best friend and his coworkers. The reason is I don't work in their shop, and could care less what their little hooligans are doing.

At least once a month one of them brings their husband along, and we talk Rock-n-Roll and Alt-Country all night. Then the coworkers get mad at us because we are leaving them out of our conversations.....!!!!!

Covar

Covar

People who can't be bothered to fix their parking. It doesn't take much to back out and straighten your car up. Show some effort in your life.

My fellow men who believe that they cannot aim their stream into the bowl. Sorry with the seat down you still have at least a foot of open space to hit. Again, show some effort.

New one that grows with each psychology class I take (I'm getting a minor). People who self-diagnose themselves with mental disorders. Worst offenders: "Oh that's just my mild OCD." :Leyla:

Morphine

Morphine

It drives me crazy when people drink out of a bottle placing both lips AROUND the edge instead of lower lip out and upper lip inside of the bottle. u_u

Jiarn

Something like:

That?

Morphine

Morphine

YES, you see, the woman in the second picture is leaving approximately 90% more of her saliva and "stuff" in the drink than the first one. It's gross.

Krisken

Krisken

I guess some people just like to finish off their drink with a gob of spit. Not me, personally.

Fun Size

Fun Size

YES, you see, the woman in the second picture is leaving approximately 90% more of her saliva and "stuff" in the drink than the first one. It's gross.
See, I think a lot of the men looking at the picture miss that, what with the diminished thought processing abilities due to all the blood rushing from their heads.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Peeve of the day:

When some one knows some thing does not work, but will only report it when it is an emergency. Normally they report it weeks or months after it breaks.

Tress

Tress

New pet peeve: baseball fans who get waaaaaaay too worked up about the results of spring training games.

Shakey

Shakey

Peeve of the day:

When some one knows some thing does not work, but will only report it when it is an emergency. Normally they report it weeks or months after it breaks.
That happened to me the other day at one of our branch locations. "We have someone new starting in two days and the monitor for the computer they will use doesn't work. Can you get us a new one by then? Oh, and this other computer doesn't work at all. How about you fix that while you're here too." :facepalm:

Mathias

Mathias

My pet peeve about this forum: Elizabeth Taylor dies, and no one mentions it. Some obscure person relating to geek culture dies; everyone's in mourning. Get your priorities straight!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Necro'ing this.

My dad likes watching golf on t.v. (ugh, I know!). I really HATE that guy who, on every damn shot, has to yell at the top of his lungs and in the most obnoxious way possible:

"GETINDAHOOOOOLE!!!!"
:mad:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I want to hunt that fooker down.

Tress

Tress

Pet peeve: people who just repeat the same question, over and over, because either they think they're funny or because they don't like the answer you've given them.

Cajungal

Cajungal

We've taught these kids to say "I pledge allegiance," not "I pledge of allegiance." We've repeated it umpteen times. There's always that one frickin kid who won't stop saying it.

Gared

Gared

We've taught these kids to say "I pledge allegiance," not "I pledge of allegiance." We've repeated it umpteen times. There's always that one frickin kid who won't stop saying it.
That doesn't even make sense, CG. I mean, I get that they're saying the Pledge of Allegiance, but how in the hell did they pick up the habit of saying "I pledge of allegiance" in the first place?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Still seems a bit like the Our Father, Howard be thy name...

Gared

Gared

Dangit, now I'm never going to be able to remember the actual words to that prayer.

Cajungal

Cajungal

That doesn't even make sense, CG. I mean, I get that they're saying the Pledge of Allegiance, but how in the hell did they pick up the habit of saying "I pledge of allegiance" in the first place?
Since it's called "The Pledge of Allegiance," that's what some of them say. We've explained that you ARE pledging allegiance, but some of them still don't get it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Gared

Gared

Yeah, I get that, it just seems odd to me. Possibly because, while I heard plenty of mispronunciations and mangling of words and phrases throughout my years in school as well as the 15 years that I've been out of school, I've just never heard that one before. I mean, it would be like a kid being asked what they want to do when they grow up and answering "I want to be a the police officer," because they've only ever heard them referred to as "the police."

Tress

Tress

This is why I don't teach little kids. Things like this drive me crazy.

Gared

Gared

This is why I don't teach little kids. Things like this drive me crazy.
Yeah, I liked the little bit of teaching I did when I was helping my Calc teacher explain things to my (very few) classmates; but teaching full- or even part-time, and having to be patient enough to teach young kids anything would drive me insane. I am not a patient man.

Gusto

Gusto

Is every school day started with the pledge of allegiance? Do Americans play the national anthem daily in schools too?

Tress

Tress

We do the Pledge twice a week at my high school.

Gared

Gared

I remember doing the Pledge every day in elementary school, and I remember doing it at least occasionally in junior high, but for the life of me I can't remember if we ever did it in high school. The only time we ever played the national anthem was at the start of sports events, when the band would play it, but there was never a singer trying to sing along with the band, and I think the only sports we did that for were football and boys' and girls' basketball, not volleyball, baseball, or softball (because we didn't have bands to play at those sports). I'm pretty sure we never used the anthem during school-wide assemblies, regardless the topic of or reason for the assembly.

I don't know. The Pledge of Allegiance has more than its fair share of drama attached to it, and not just because of the "under God" portion, but also because of the fact that you're pledging allegiance to a flag. There are some people (like my wife) who absolutely refuse to say the Pledge because they can't (or won't) fathom why anyone should pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth. And then there are people (like myself) who are less literal, and also have a bit more understanding of history and a better feeling for just how important the flag itself (both as a piece of cloth and as a symbol of America) is and has been to prisoners of war, as described by Joseph Moser in his book "A Fighter Pilot in Buchenwald"; who understand that the reason we say "I pledge allegiance to the Flag..." is because it's a heck of a lot simpler than saying "I pledge allegiance to the civil and moral ideals presented by the memories of the men and women who have fought and died to win the freedoms that we as Americans all share..."

Huh. What do you know. This is a pet peeve of mine too.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I remember doing the Pledge every day in elementary school, and I remember doing it at least occasionally in junior high, but for the life of me I can't remember if we ever did it in high school. The only time we ever played the national anthem was at the start of sports events, when the band would play it, but there was never a singer trying to sing along with the band, and I think the only sports we did that for were football and boys' and girls' basketball, not volleyball, baseball, or softball (because we didn't have bands to play at those sports). I'm pretty sure we never used the anthem during school-wide assemblies, regardless the topic of or reason for the assembly.

I don't know. The Pledge of Allegiance has more than its fair share of drama attached to it, and not just because of the "under God" portion, but also because of the fact that you're pledging allegiance to a flag. There are some people (like my wife) who absolutely refuse to say the Pledge because they can't (or won't) fathom why anyone should pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth. And then there are people (like myself) who are less literal, and also have a bit more understanding of history and a better feeling for just how important the flag itself (both as a piece of cloth and as a symbol of America) is and has been to prisoners of war, as described by Joseph Moser in his book "A Fighter Pilot in Buchenwald"; who understand that the reason we say "I pledge allegiance to the Flag..." is because it's a heck of a lot simpler than saying "I pledge allegiance to the civil and moral ideals presented by the memories of the men and women who have fought and died to win the freedoms that we as Americans all share..."

Huh. What do you know. This is a pet peeve of mine too.
I'm Canadian, so I'm ignorant of this: are you penalised in schools for refusing to say the Pledge? I think I would also refuse, although not for your wife's reasons.

Bones

Bones

Is every school day started with the pledge of allegiance? Do Americans play the national anthem daily in schools too?
yes because 'MURICA!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

No. Not that I know of. We used to recite the pledge everyday in elementary school, but that stopped around 5th grade. And I've never heard the national anthem just be played in the morning or something. If it was played it was at the Veteran's assembly and maybe at a sporting event.

But I never remember doing the pledge in high school. And, maybe, it depends on the school.

Tress

Tress

I'm Canadian, so I'm ignorant of this: are you penalized in schools for refusing to say the Pledge? I think I would also refuse, although not for your wife's reasons.
It's technically illegal to punish any student for not reciting the pledge. I've seen some students, and even a few teachers, yell at students for refusing to do the pledge though. It happens, even though it shouldn't.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

It's technically illegal to punish any student for not reciting the pledge. I've seen some students, and even a few teachers, yell at students for refusing to do the pledge though. It happens, even though it shouldn't.
That makes sense. Both parts of it, sadly :p

Cajungal

Cajungal

We've had some parents complain about doing the pledge every morning. The way we handle that is to allow the student to silently sit or stand. They're free not to say it as long as they don't disturb other students during the recitation.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

At my son's school they recite the pledge and sing the national anthem daily unless it's raining too hard for them to be out in the courtyard. But they are a private school and can do pretty much what they want.

Terrik

Terrik

yes because 'MURICA!

It's quite common all over the world. Japanese do it, Koreans at the Korean school I worked at did it every day. Chinese do it every day do. In fact, I'd wager that patriotic displays for your individual national are applauded and valued more than looked down upon and scorned as seems to be the trend in the US.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Japanese do it, Koreans at the Korean school I worked at did it every day. Chinese do it every day do.
:awesome:

:unibrow:

Gared

Gared

You know my other pet peeve? DUI apologists. The people who always show up in the comments section (I know, I know, don't read the comments) of news stories where some drunk and/or high driver has killed someone and talk about how the DUI driver shouldn't be punished too harshly, because they'll learn a valuable lesson from it, and it wasn't intentional. First, it fucking is intentional if you know you've been drinking or doing drugs and you voluntarily get in your car and drive somewhere. No one forced you to drive, and if they did, we wouldn't be talking about a DUI driver, we'd be talking about a car jacking. Second, we have people who don't get seriously jail time until their 5th or 6th or more time of not just driving altered, but actually being caught driving altered, and even then they're only harshly punished if they managed to kill or seriously injure someone else. So no, they're not going to fucking "learn a valuable lesson."

We had a DUI accident just 9 days ago where the 29ish year old uncle loaded his 9 year old nephew and 8 year old niece in his car to drive them to their grandmother's house after a family reunion where he'd apparently been drinking and smoking pot. He took an exit off the highway, rolled his car, the nephew was ejected, and died the following day after being taken off of life support by his family. The apologists showed up almost immediately. "Oh, don't punish the poor driver. He'll learn his lesson from having killed his nephew, and he won't do this again."

So what happens today? 50 or 60 year old fucking little league coach is driving drunk and/or high and slams into 4 pedestrians in an intersection in a residential neighborhood, killing two of them and sending the other two (including a two week old baby) to the hospital in critical condition with severe head injuries. Sure, it's not the same guy, but it's only going to be a matter of time before some jackass pops up in the comments talking about how, since the drunk is a little league coach, and a child was injured, he's going to feel sooooooo bad about what he did that he'll never do it again.

We need to find some actual form of a deterrent to get it into people's fucking heads that it's not OK to drive drunk. Taking their license away isn't going to do it, people drive without a license all the time. Same with taking away their ability to get insurance, people drive without that all the time too. Interlock devices? That only really helps if the person who's been given the device actually really wants to stop driving drunk but is a hardcore alcoholic with poor decision making skills. It's not going to stop partiers from drinking and driving and either a) getting someone else to blow in the device or b) driving someone else' car home. And then we've got all of the damn DUI lawyers always running ads about how they can get you out of the $5k fine or get you out of any jail time you might get for being pulled over while driving drunk. How the fuck is that helping us?![DOUBLEPOST=1364264959][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm Canadian, so I'm ignorant of this: are you penalised in schools for refusing to say the Pledge? I think I would also refuse, although not for your wife's reasons.
We weren't punished in any of our schools, unless we were being disruptive of the rest of the class.

Edit: And then we weren't being punished for not saying the pledge, we were being punished for being disruptive little shit heads. Because mostly we were unruly, disruptive little shit heads, and I have no idea how our teachers put up with us.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

People who think that because I am a stay-at-home mom that I am lazy or lack ambition to do anything else with my life. You know, I don't work or anything like that.

Other stay-at-home moms who find out I am taking college courses, get insecure over it, then act like I'm the one who holds it over their heads. I've lost "friends" this way more than once.

When people find out I'm taking classes online and give me a smug attitude because everyone knows I'm not actually doing college work and I'll get a worthless degree. This usually comes in the form of "Oh...*smirk*".

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

People who think that because I am a stay-at-home mom that I am lazy or lack ambition to do anything else with my life. You know, I don't work or anything like that.

Other stay-at-home moms who find out I am taking college courses, get insecure over it, then act like I'm the one who holds it over their heads. I've lost "friends" this way more than once.

When people find out I'm taking classes online and give me a smug attitude because everyone knows I'm not actually doing college work and I'll get a worthless degree. This usually comes in the form of "Oh...*smirk*".
I tried to combine all the possible criticisms into one: "Oh you useless stay-at-home moms, with your fancy college degrees, thinking you're too good for us, while being worthless." The level of cognitive dissonance made me sad.

Bowielee

Bowielee

My mother got her accounting degree online. She's been happy with it. Unfortunately, she doesn't plan to move and lives in a little town in the middle of nowhere where the degree is useless for anything even if it were from Harvard. However, making money wasn't really her goal. It was more about proving that she could do it.

She dropped out of school to marry my dad and we're so similar, I'm pretty sure that she hated having to be stuck there her whole life.

fade

fade

My pet peeve is everything.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

My school still started every morning with a prayer.

All the way through highschool.

Welcome to Dixie County.

fade

fade

Serious pet peeve: mathematical texts that use the phrases "it is clear" or "clearly". Of course it's clear to you. You're the author. It may very well not be clear. My grad students commonly complained about this phrase, too. I think its sole purpose is to infuriate the reader.

Gared

Gared

Serious pet peeve: mathematical texts that use the phrases "it is clear" or "clearly". Of course it's clear to you. You're the author. It may very well not be clear. My grad students commonly complained about this phrase, too. I think its sole purpose is to infuriate the reader.
Nah, its purpose is much baser than that - to make the author feel intellectually superior.

Gared

Gared

I suppose it depends on the type of text. Every time I've run into it, the impression I've gotten from the text is "I am the superior intellect, and this is clear to me. If it isn't clear to you, it's because you're a moron."

Extra points for reading that in Jeremy Clarkson's voice.

Tress

Tress

New pet peeve: students who want to argue semantics to get out of (a well-deserved) bad grade.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My mother got her accounting degree online. She's been happy with it. Unfortunately, she doesn't plan to move and lives in a little town in the middle of nowhere where the degree is useless for anything even if it were from Harvard. However, making money wasn't really her goal. It was more about proving that she could do it.
Being able to take classes online makes my life so much easier. Especially when my husband is deployed. My plan is to finish my bachelors online, but go to a local college for my masters. By that time both kids will be in school full-time, my husband could be retired from the Navy, and that will allow me to have a more set schedule.

Gared

Gared

New pet peeve: Rating services like Yelp. Not because of all of the "pay for play" scandals that keep hitting Yelp, but because there's absolutely no way to know whether the person who wrote any specific review was a total moron or not, unless they completely misspell several words in their review. For instance, I was reading through the "Trip Advisor" reviews for a hotel in Newport, OR; and it sounded like the majority of the reviewers were expecting Waldorf Astoria or Ritz Carlton level amenities. It's a Travelodge Roadside Motel for crying out loud, people! Of course the continental breakfast is going to be cold cereal and donuts! And then there was the person who was really upset because the rooms were smaller than they were proytered in pictures.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I completely distrust Yelp at this point. Every time I have used it to try to find good Chinese food here on Oahu I have been led to believe places are "so ONO!!!!!" when they are mediocre or worse. And if people don't like the restaurant/chef/server then they say they found a bug in their food.

Gared

Gared

I completely distrust Yelp at this point. Every time I have used it to try to find good Chinese food here on Oahu I have been led to believe places are "so ONO!!!!!" when they are mediocre or worse. And if people don't like the restaurant/chef/server then they say they found a bug in their food.
Oh yeah, the only reason I ever use Yelp at all is to see what restaurants are available around me. I really don't trust the reviews themselves anymore.

blotsfan

blotsfan

New pet peeve: students who want to argue semantics to get out of (a well-deserved) bad grade.
I had a teacher that did what I always thought was the best way to handle this (well, not for a student). If you had any issues with a grade, you could talk to him and explain your issues. He would then regrade it, taking what you said into account, but also look for every nit-picky thing you can lose points on. It could help your grade, but you were a lot more likely to end up with a worse one.

Tress

Tress

New pet peeve: Rating services like Yelp. Not because of all of the "pay for play" scandals that keep hitting Yelp, but because there's absolutely no way to know whether the person who wrote any specific review was a total moron or not, unless they completely misspell several words in their review. For instance, I was reading through the "Trip Advisor" reviews for a hotel in Newport, OR; and it sounded like the majority of the reviewers were expecting Waldorf Astoria or Ritz Carlton level amenities. It's a Travelodge Roadside Motel for crying out loud, people! Of course the continental breakfast is going to be cold cereal and donuts! And then there was the person who was really upset because the rooms were smaller than they were proytered in pictures.
The following is a real review of an automotive repair place near me. For the record, this place has a high score overall and I've always been treated well.

First of all Larry's hella rude, he makes you feel stupid when he talks to you. He belittles you. What's your problem bro? You got a beef with me you want to settle?

****HERE"S THE MAIN PROBLEM***: Larry did an inspection on our car and missed hella issues. Our car broke down soon after it had "passed" the inspection. What did even I pay you for bro?

Straighten up bro. You're gonna lose customers hella fast.

figmentPez

figmentPez

New pet peeve: Rating services like Yelp.
I'm torn, because I've found some really good restaurants through Yelp, but reviews are hard to figure out.

On a tangent, I hate reviews on AllRecipes.com , so many people posting them are either stupid or evil. The biggest problem is giving a five star review on a recipe but based on major changes to it. Another problem is people who have no clue what they hell they're talking about. Example quote "Made the recipe as is... I also did not add any almond extract." That is not as is. If you did not add something, then you changed the recipe.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I can't speak for today, but when I was in school, we had to recite the pledge together at the start of the day. They taught it to us so early we barely knew what we were saying - it was more phonetic rote memorization and recitation than an actual knowing pledge.

"I plejaleejens
To the flag
of the united states of america
Antoo the reap uglic forwichit stands
One nashin undergod
indivisible (or more often, invisible, individual, in dirigible)
with libber tian justice for all."

I'm patriotic and all that, but the childhood forced recitation of the pledge of allegiance always struck me as nefarious - like making a toddler sign a binding contract.

And while the school itself can't punish a student that refuses, if I remember correctly, the childhood tendency to cruelly attack anything different from the group usually takes care of that.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm torn, because I've found some really good restaurants through Yelp, but reviews are hard to figure out.

On a tangent, I hate reviews on AllRecipes.com , so many people posting them are either stupid or evil. The biggest problem is giving a five star review on a recipe but based on major changes to it. Another problem is people who have no clue what they hell they're talking about. Example quote "Made the recipe as is... I also did not add any almond extract." That is not as is. If you did not add something, then you changed the recipe.
Someone I follow on Twitter suggested there should be a tumblr dedicated to this second habit.

"1 star out of 5: Made the cake, but didn't have flour. Substituted with salt. IT WAS TERRIBLE. WILL NOT MAKE AGAIN."

Gared

Gared

Yeah, I used to run into that all the time on AllRecipes.com and FoodNetwork.com (back when the latter was a place about food, instead of a place about competitions loosely based on food). It was extremely annoying when I would look a recipe for something, see three different options for recipes (from three different chefs), all rated the same, but the comments would be completely different recipes, like someone would give Emeril 5 stars for a gnocchi recipe, but in their comment they'd talk about how horrible his recipe was and how many changes they had to make for it to be palatable. And then you'd run into people giving recipes from lesser known chefs (or hated chefs, like Rachel Ray), talking about how awesome the food was based on an exact following of the recipe, but giving it 1 or 2 stars.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Man now I just want to go make up some of these and post them on recipe sites.
"Followed directions closely, but chose to leave the chicken raw (as I don't like hot dinners). Everyone got food poisoning. Would not make again."
"We used beans in molasses instead of maple syrup. For some reason, there was no sweetness as described above. YMMV, would not make again."[DOUBLEPOST=1364332585][/DOUBLEPOST]"NOTE: RECIPE DOES NOT MENTION SUBSTITUTING LARD FOR BUTTER WILL RUIN THE PANCAKES 1/5 WOULD NOT MAKE AGAIN."

Null

Null

I can't speak for today, but when I was in school, we had to recite the pledge together at the start of the day. They taught it to us so early we barely knew what we were saying - it was more phonetic rote memorization and recitation than an actual knowing pledge.

"I plejaleejens
To the flag
of the united states of america
Antoo the reap uglic forwichit stands
One nashin undergod
indivisible (or more often, invisible, individual, in dirigible)
with libber tian justice for all."

I'm patriotic and all that, but the childhood forced recitation of the pledge of allegiance always struck me as nefarious - like making a toddler sign a binding contract.

And while the school itself can't punish a student that refuses, if I remember correctly, the childhood tendency to cruelly attack anything different from the group usually takes care of that.
"I dredge a grievance,
to Queen Fragg,
in her wild state of hysteria.
And Drew the repugnant, whore itchy sands,
one notion, yonder glob,
with misery and busted for all."

Did it make sense? No, but it sure amused me more than saying it right.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"I dredge a grievance,
to Queen Fragg,
in her wild state of hysteria.
And Drew the repugnant, whore itchy sands,
one notion, yonder glob,
with misery and busted for all."

Did it make sense? No, but it sure amused me more than saying it right.
Heh, wasn't lines 2 and 3 from a calvin and hobbes comic?

Null

Null

Heh, wasn't lines 2 and 3 from a calvin and hobbes comic?
Probably, though I think at the time I read more garfield than calvin & hobbes (I was in grade school).

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

"Remember when we were kids and couldn't wait to grow up? What the hell were we thinking?"

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

"Remember when we were kids and couldn't wait to grow up? What the hell were we thinking?"

This times a billion.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Recently:

Saying expresso instead of espresso.

This might be a southern thing, but I have been hearing this lately: Lashtyear instead of Last <pause> year.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Guilty on both counts...

I had a WoW Guildmate ask if I drank during every raid. "No, I'm just Southern."

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

:fu:

Tress

Tress

I have a friend who says "brexfix" when he means "breakfast." It looks more jarring in writing than when he says it, because he goes through the word so quickly it almost sounds okay.

But it's not. It's really, really not. :facepalm:

GasBandit

GasBandit

So much for SPEAKING CORRECTLY.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Can I start saying "in tents and porpoises?"

GasBandit

GasBandit

Can I start saying "in tents and porpoises?"
I will see to it you and your entire family is taken by slavers, then I will buy your family, then trade you all for a dog and then I will shoot the dog.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Hey lady, I know that you're looking for a gift for someone, you have a bridal registry in your hand, but if you keep waving it around instead of letting me see the item you are looking for it will take much, much longer to help you find it and get you the hell away from me. ARGHHHHH!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I have a friend who says "brexfix" when he means "breakfast."
My husband says it "breh-fass". I just tell myself he learned Spanglish from his mom.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I usually can get over that, but I hate when I say it properly and someone corrects me.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Bubble181

Bubble181

Language is a living, growing thing.
People misuse or abuse words until their "wrong" meaning is more commonly known or their "wrong" pronounciation or spelling is more prevalent than the actual "correct" version. Thus the "new" version becomes normal and gets added to dictionaries and whatever. Of course. Perhaps, in 20 years' time, we'll all say "expresso" and the dictionary will say that "espresso" is an archaic form of "expresso". All true. However, this doesn't mean that, if and when such changes start to pass, it's "wrong" to be annoyed by them or to point them out. Not every evolution in language is progress and it's not silly, foolish or wrong to want to stop such changes. Futile, perhaps, but most of our pet peeves are about as useful as tilting at windmills.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I usually can get over that, but I hate when I say it properly and someone corrects me.
I would get irritated by that as well. I have been corrected on gyro, but here nearly everyone says Jai-row. I chock it up to phonetics.

Gusto

Gusto

Irregardless.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

This is English not Italian. Both words would mean the same thing.

fade

fade

You know how the cool factor works. "Irregardless" was evil until everyone thought it was evil. Now, there's the counter trend to defend it, because everyone is a unique and precious snowflake and can't have people catching on to their cool.

The serious defenses cite similar words that break the double negative rule, like unmerciless, yet are perfectly acceptable, largely due to age.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I have never, ever heard "unmerciless" before.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Never before have I heard or read "unmerciless" until this moment, and I deem it an abomination unfit to exist.

Gusto

Gusto

Yep that is awful.

Tress

Tress

"Inflammable" would probably have been a better example for fade's point.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Mallory: "You didn't learn anything, did you?"
Sterling: "I learned that flammable and inflammable mean the same thing."

Bowielee

Bowielee

I have never, ever heard "unmerciless" before.
It could work as a word. "He was unmerciless in his handing out food to starving children." :p

fade

fade

Well exkyuuuuuse me.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Tress

Tress

I guess it sucks to be right around here.
How would you know?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

How would you know?
With evidence.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Litter. I FREAKIN' hate litter! Find a receptacle dammit!

figmentPez

figmentPez

People who don't ask "how are you?" in return in an extended conversation. If they give lots of indication that they're interested and involved in the conversation, but never bother to ask how I am, that drives me up the wall. I end up questioning if they really want to be talking with me, since they don't care to know how I'm doing.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

People who don't ask "how are you?" in return in an extended conversation. If they give lots of indication that they're interested and involved in the conversation, but never bother to ask how I am, that drives me up the wall. I end up questioning if they really want to be talking with me, since they don't care to know how I'm doing.
People are self-centred, sometimes, without realising it. I feel like this actually answers both sides of this problem: it's why they don't ask, but it's also why you notice they don't ask. My advice, if you're not willing to bring it up, is to try and remind yourself that since you, ostensibly, also want to be talking to them, just enjoy the direction the conversation takes, and forget about what direction it might have taken if they'd said different (possibly read: more polite) things.

Tress

Tress

People are self-centred, sometimes, without realising it. I feel like this actually answers both sides of this problem: it's why they don't ask, but it's also why you notice they don't ask. My advice, if you're not willing to bring it up, is to try and remind yourself that since you, ostensibly, also want to be talking to them, just enjoy the direction the conversation takes, and forget about what direction it might have taken if they'd said different (possibly read: more polite) things.
I respectfully disagree with you on this one. To me, the ability to reciprocate some manners and empathy is an excellent litmus test for another person's character. If you can't be bothered to ask how I'm doing and show even a shred of interest in me, then I can't be bothered to keep you in my life. And this is coming from someone who pretty much hates talking about himself. I don't need them to hang on my every word and quiz me, just show that they care a little. Otherwise, it makes me think people are just looking for sycophants and devotees, not friends.

The one-way-street-type friendships that result from this imbalance is not fun at all, and not worth my time.

Gusto

Gusto

I actually don't like when people ask how I am. The answer often puts a downer on the conversation. At least recently.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I respectfully disagree with you on this one. To me, the ability to reciprocate some manners and empathy is an excellent litmus test for another person's character. If you can't be bothered to ask how I'm doing and show even a shred of interest in me, then I can't be bothered to keep you in my life. And this is coming from someone who pretty much hates talking about himself. I don't need them to hang on my every word and quiz me, just show that they care a little. Otherwise, it makes me think people are just looking for sycophants and devotees, not friends.

The one-way-street-type friendships that result from this imbalance is not fun at all, and not worth my time.
Whoa whoa whoa there's a huge gulf between people who don't reciprocate 'how are you' and people who are wholly self-interested. Those relationships can be draining, unhealthy and worse, and I 100% support a jettison of such people until they mature a little. I didn't mean to imply that you should forgo any consideration of yourself. Just that, sometimes, people get a little self-interested and dominate the conversation with themselves/their lives.[DOUBLEPOST=1365991209][/DOUBLEPOST]
I actually don't like when people ask how I am. The answer often puts a downer on the conversation. At least recently.
I've been like that too lately, so I've been trying to highlight the positives when most people ask, and relying on my very close friends to put up with all the anxious, negative crap I've been going through

figmentPez

figmentPez

and forget about what direction it might have taken if they'd said different (possibly read: more polite) things.
How am I supposed to do that if I'm not sure they really want to be talking to me?[DOUBLEPOST=1365991881][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'd rather have a friend who will accept "I don't want to talk about it" as an answer, than one who doesn't even ask the question.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I just lie or joke. I don't consider how are you a serious question. Unless it comes in an actual conversation.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

How am I supposed to do that if I'm not sure they really want to be talking to me?
Well, I suppose that's a harder question to answer. In some sense, I think you're being hard on yourself: I would find it really unlikely they would have any conversation with you at all if they didn't want to. And frankly, you give me the impression of a nice guy, and I think most people like to chat. So, just... assume they do want to talk to you. Like I said in my latter post, if they're never asking about you and the relationship is onesided, then there are other problems and you may well want to follow Tress' advice. But if this is just a small-talk complaint, or an occasional problem with some friends, I would guess they're just a little self-centred: in fact, they even do want to talk to you, just... about... themselves.

Lately (by which I mean the last year or so) I've become a lot more sociable, and I find that just assuming people want to talk has done wonders. Not only have I gotten a LOT better at social interaction, I've made friends and discovered that some people really just need someone who listens, because they get stuck in a lot of those 'one-way, people never ask me about me' relationships.

You're doing the right thing by asking them how they are, and I don't mean to downplay that, by the by. I've definitely been where you are, including the insecurity about whether they even want me around.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I just lie or joke. I don't consider how are you a serious question. Unless it comes in an actual conversation.
Same here. I actually irritate myself in conversation, because when I don't know what to say, I'll sometimes mention something that's going on with me. It seems self-centered, but really, I'm not good at asking people questions. It usually ends in some kind of embarrassment, either because I pried too far and didn't mean to or I accidentally struck a nerve with something seemingly harmless. I figure if I talk about something I did/saw/heard over the weekend, they can give me perspective on it, and the conversation can go from there.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Most of the time my conversations go like this:

Friend - Oh hi, Lisa! I haven't seen you in a while. How are you?
Me - Pretty good. Been doing a lot of school work lately. How've you been?
Friend - (tells me her life in detail starting with what happened since we last spoke, including asking for advice, and the conversation lasts at least 30 minutes)

Shawn

Shawn

Like.jpg

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Does that mean that if you get more than one "like", you'll keep posting these pictures? :D

David

David

It bothers me when I'm carrying the conversation and the other person isn't asking any questions or going off on anything else I say. I give up talking to someone pretty quickly when that happens. Maybe it's more of a self-confidence issue, automatically assuming they're not interested in talking.

fade

fade

It bothers me when I'm carrying the conversation and the other person isn't asking any questions or going off on anything else I say. I give up talking to someone pretty quickly when that happens. Maybe it's more of a self-confidence issue, automatically assuming they're not interested in talking.
My dad does this. It's clear he only wants to talk about what he wants to talk about. He overheard me talking to my mom once, and asked me why I never had conversations like that with him. The answer was that he just wants to monologue, not converse. He didn't like that answer much, but thankfully my siblings chimed in in agreement. Eh, nothing has changed, though.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Are you sure you're not male?
Definitely not. I actually listen. :p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ooh, yeah, that part is definitely different.
I'm sorry, what were we talking about? I kinda zoned out this entire thread.

GasBandit

GasBandit

9 times out of 10, in my experience, the whole "how are you" thing is just a ritual, a verbal handshake required by decorum to be polite and part of expected signal negotiation, and anything other than "fine, you" or some equivalent is a tiresome delay to what actually needs to be discussed. However, among friends, the code for "talk about how you are doing" is something more akin to "so what have you been up to lately."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

9 times out of 10, in my experience, the whole "how are you" thing is just a ritual, a verbal handshake required by decorum to be polite and part of expected signal negotiation, and anything other than "fine, you" or some equivalent is a tiresome delay to what actually needs to be discussed. However, among friends, the code for "talk about how you are doing" is something more akin to "so what have you been up to lately."
Exactly this. Random people = as part of a greeting as "hello". With friends/some family = I genuinely want to know how you are doing and the recent events of your life.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Does this mean I shouldn't have been telling all of those people about my rash?

Tress

Tress

A serious pet peeve of mine is when you politely ask a stranger "How are you?" and you get their life story in response. I don't mind an honest but short summary of your day, but I do not want to hear the minute-by-minute breakdown of how your cat is acting that day.

GasBandit

GasBandit

A serious pet peeve of mine is when you politely ask a stranger "How are you?" and you get their life story in response. I don't mind an honest but short summary of your day, but I do not want to hear the minute-by-minute breakdown of how your cat is acting that day.
My standard answer to questions of that nature is to say "I'm busier than a 1-legged cat trying to bury turds on asphalt today, what can I do for you?" It generally amuses them and gets them to get to the point pretty quick.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My standard answer to questions of that nature is to say "I'm busier than a 1-legged cat trying to bury turds on asphalt today, what can I do for you?" It generally amuses them and gets them to get to the point pretty quick.
Sounds like my dad's response, "I'm busier than a 1-armed paper hanger with a case of the crabs."

Bowielee

Bowielee

My current pet peeve is the misuse of the word prolific. It doesn't mean an artist who is great. It means an artist who produced a crapton of work.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

There are some serious prolific posters on this board. :troll:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You don't say?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There are some serious prolific posters on this board. :troll:
I do not concur. I try to be a silly prolific poster.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I will write a list of pet peeves after I strangle this person my roommate has staying on our couch.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

My inconsistent internet! Bad-good-bad-good-SATANDAMMIT-what the hell Comcast?

Gared

Gared

'Nuff said. I hate Comcast, but I didn't have a choice in providers until only recently and I'm not going to switch providers 3.5 months before a move.

fade

fade

Yeah, I had comcast for 2 weeks when I moved to Houston. I cashed in my 30 day guarantee, got DirecTV and Uverse VDSL and never looked back. Uverse has a nominally lower top speed, but it is always that speed, and it's cheaper.

I'm a DirecTV convert. It's nice. You know what sells me as much as the price? The UI. They actually put an effort into making a workable UI that wasn't an afterthought. The Comcast box looked like I was playing Commander Keen or something.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah as expensive as other cable companies are, you get what you pay for. Infact, whenever Comcast criticizes said companies its almost ALWAYS about the price, not efficiency. Also, I wish I could go up to the TV and change the channel again. Nowadays I NEED the remote, its impossible to change the channel other-wise. Personally I assume a conspiracy with the battery companies.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My parents are having trouble, too. I don't know if my mom has called Comcast, but in my experience they'll try to say it isn't on their end.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

My pet peeve coping mechanism (although, I can't actually whistle)

Gared

Gared

Yeah as expensive as other cable companies are, you get what you pay for. Infact, whenever Comcast criticizes said companies its almost ALWAYS about the price, not efficiency. Also, I wish I could go up to the TV and change the channel again. Nowadays I NEED the remote, its impossible to change the channel other-wise. Personally I assume a conspiracy with the battery companies.
Wait, there are cable companies out there that charge more than Comcast? Holy fucknuts, batman.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

My parents are having trouble, too. I don't know if my mom has called Comcast, but in my experience they'll try to say it isn't on their end.
Huh, so its not just me its probably a good chunk of South Jersey! I am calling Comcast thats for sure.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

My cable/internet/phone bundle runs about $160 per month. About the same as I'd be paying DirecTV and Frontier for TV and phone/DSL.

Frontier keeps trying to get me to switch with flyers mocking cable prices. They don't mention their top speed is 1000% slower than Comcast's.

Bowielee

Bowielee

My cable connection is 1/3 of my old DSL and is 7 times faster. I can't believe that I waited so long to drop Centurytel. They're just horrible.

Gared

Gared

Job site search results that don't even remotely resemble the search terms (which aren't "sponsored" results). For instance, I recently searched for "contact center manager" on one of my go-to sites, and one of the jobs it populated into the search results was "helicopter operations specialist" aka, "firefighting helicopter pilot" for the state.

fade

fade

That sounds awesome. Apply for that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If only my mismatches were that cool. I searched IT jobs, every so often I get an e-mail from the site about being a truck driver or research assistant (which when I read deeper into the job details really means "lab slave").

dill616

dill616

Oh! Oh! I have a pet peeve; when women make a huge deal out of having lady problems and/or "lady time." Shut the hell up. Unless you have some legit medical problems with your reproductive organs, then you DO NOT need to take a fucking day off of work because you're bloated. WOMAN THE HELL UP!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Oh! Oh! I have a pet peeve; when women make a huge deal out of having lady problems and/or "lady time." Shut the hell up. Unless you have some legit medical problems with your reproductive organs, then you DO NOT need to take a fucking day off of work because you're bloated. WOMAN THE HELL UP!
I prefer "Pick your vagina up off the floor, and get to work." Also hilarious but more sexist is "Take your balls out of your purse..."

Fun Size

Fun Size

I just picture the elevator scene from The Shining and then take one step back.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I had a crappy HP printer quit working today. Since I had to install software on the machine, I took extra time to try to save the darn printer. Needless to say I ended up with ink all over my hands...

Then I had to pee.
But my hands were too dirty to pee.
So I wash my hands first.
The water is warm.
I damn near pee myself...

dill616

dill616

I prefer "Pick your vagina up off the floor, and get to work." Also hilarious but more sexist is "Take your balls out of your purse..."

I've also gotten more bitter about it since getting an IUD, which was more painful than any surgery I've ever had. It's like when women give birth and then describe it as a whole different level of pain. Don't bitch about your paper cut to someone who has a bullet wound.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I've also gotten more bitter about it since getting an IUD, which was more painful than any surgery I've ever had. It's like when women give birth and then describe it as a whole different level of pain. Don't bitch about your paper cut to someone who has a bullet wound.
Yeah, but do they know you have an IUD? They may not realise this. But, I suppose this is a thread for our irrational annoyances anyway :D

dill616

dill616

Yeah, but do they know you have an IUD? They may not realise this. But, I suppose this is a thread for our irrational annoyances anyway :D
Hey, I spent a good 6 months being asked when the General was going to propose on a DAILY BASIS at work. Now, I have to constantly answer the question "So, have you done anything for your wedding?"

Uhh....I ate ice cream and made fun of 'Say Yes to the Dress' with my fiance. Does that count?

I have bitter bride syndrome.

fade

fade

Seems relevant.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I thought getting an IUD wasn't supposed to hurt. Putting it in hurts?

dill616

dill616

I thought getting an IUD wasn't supposed to hurt. Putting it in hurts?
If you've never had children (like me) it is harder to do. The doctor actually had to do mine twice b/c he measured wrong the first time. In all honesty, it was like being stabbed internally. They had given me two of those big Oxycotin pills to take in the morning. The day before, I'd been given dilation medication as well as something else to help with that. I was floating beforehand. The General held my hand while I crushed his fingers. Afterwards, when we were checking out, things went all white and fuzzy. My ears didn't work for a second. I had cramps off and on for 2 months that mimicked labor contractions. I really think it was just me and my odd lady parts, but I would totally get it again now that I know what to expect. Only this time, I'd ask to be heavily sedated.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Hey, I spent a good 6 months being asked when the General was going to propose on a DAILY BASIS at work. Now, I have to constantly answer the question "So, have you done anything for your wedding?"

Uhh....I ate ice cream and made fun of 'Say Yes to the Dress' with my fiance. Does that count?

I worry about the people that can't make fun of that show.[DOUBLEPOST=1366927161][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you've never had children (like me) it is harder to do. The doctor actually had to do mine twice b/c he measured wrong the first time. In all honesty, it was like being stabbed internally. They had given me two of those big Oxycotin pills to take in the morning. The day before, I'd been given dilation medication as well as something else to help with that. I was floating beforehand. The General held my hand while I crushed his fingers. Afterwards, when we were checking out, things went all white and fuzzy. My ears didn't work for a second. I had cramps off and on for 2 months that mimicked labor contractions. I really think it was just me and my odd lady parts, but I would totally get it again now that I know what to expect. Only this time, I'd ask to be heavily sedated.
I'm so sorry to hear that - really scary. I had no idea.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

If you've never had children (like me) it is harder to do. The doctor actually had to do mine twice b/c he measured wrong the first time. In all honesty, it was like being stabbed internally.
It hurts after you have children, too. I went to have one put in a few months after having my son. The frelling thing wouldn't stay in when my doctor would trim the strings. After the third attempt in the same appointment I finally just said to forget about it. I was done. I was in so much pain I was almost sobbing. It wasn't crampy pain. It was white hot, gritting my teeth pain. I went to the appointment alone (my husband was home with the baby) and wasn't so sure I'd be able to drive myself home because I was shaking. I bled for three days afterward. I got told to take Advil for the pain. It was awful and I would never do it again.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

When your watching TV and you click on the show and they say its a rerun you want to watch, yet when you watch the show its a completely different episode 9 times out of ten one you have seen a thousand times before!

Also how on some channels when they show late night reruns, the commercial breaks can be so damn long that they go into the show! Dammit, I wanna watch Transformers without having to turn on another electrical appliance dammit! GO GREEN! I know that sounds persnickety, but hey its a pet peeve.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, that's not supposed to happen. Wonder if the doctor knew what they were doing, those symptoms sound like incorrect insertion.

My wife never experienced issues with them on insertion, but I think she had her first one after having two children. She said that period related cramping was much worse with a copper IUD than with any other birth control. The hormone IUD was much better, but costly.

I, however, could tell that it was in place and wasn't a big fan despite the midwife's consistent assurances that it wasn't possible for me to notice the plastic "string". I did notice, and it was somewhere between uncomfortable and painful. Have no idea why the midwife didn't believe me, but due to the cost under insurances since that time we haven't gone back to them.

Her favorite birth control was NuvaRing, using three in a row, then skipping a week, so she only had a few periods a year, although depo shots are close behind.
And you didn't mind the Nuva? My ex used them for a while, and they are practical, but I always got annoyed... Half the time it would come out, or I'd push it into something which hurt her, or whatever. And it tastes horrible when it decides to come out unexpectedly. Err, so I heard. Ahem.

Tress

Tress

Well, this thread certainly took an unexpected turn.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Vaginas!

Bubble181

Bubble181

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

depo shots
Tried that, too. Depo was evil. Or I should say I was evil while on depo. After a year I went back to the pill. Then the change in hormones made me suicidal. Fun times I tell ya.

fade

fade

My wife did depo for a while. The weight gain was spectacular. As soon as she stopped, the weight fell back off.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My wife did depo for a while. The weight gain was spectacular. As soon as she stopped, the weight fell back off.
My doctor tried to tell me that the weight was because I was a lazy junk food eater. Except I was working out on a regular basis and eating a mostly vegetarian diet. And since depo made me evil I kept envisioning forcefully shoving my heel into his nose during the exam.

dill616

dill616

My doctor tried to tell me that the weight was because I was a lazy junk food eater. Except I was working out on a regular basis and eating a mostly vegetarian diet. And since depo made me evil I kept envisioning forcefully shoving my heel into his nose during the exam.
I've had those doctors. 'It's not the drugs. It's you.' Shut the hell up. THAT can be another pet peeve; doctors who overly blame the patient.[DOUBLEPOST=1366977312][/DOUBLEPOST]
It hurts after you have children, too. I went to have one put in a few months after having my son. The frelling thing wouldn't stay in when my doctor would trim the strings. After the third attempt in the same appointment I finally just said to forget about it. I was done. I was in so much pain I was almost sobbing. It wasn't crampy pain. It was white hot, gritting my teeth pain. I went to the appointment alone (my husband was home with the baby) and wasn't so sure I'd be able to drive myself home because I was shaking. I bled for three days afterward. I got told to take Advil for the pain. It was awful and I would never do it again.

Now that I've had mine for about 6 months, I'm happy with it. No lady times, minimal cramping after the first three months, and its failure rate is lower than permanent sterilization, which is why I chose to do this instead of having surgery. I went to a specialist who did an ultrasound before and after insertion to make sure things were placed right. The first time he tried, it didn't go as planned. I'm glad for the ultrasound because having a baby is NOT on the agenda for us. My body won't let me. Regardless of what I do, Mr. Specific will be getting the snippy snippy as a wedding present.

fade

fade

I've had a vasectomy. It's not bad at all. In and out. I had an awesome doctor, who surprisingly had never been told that an anagram of his name was nut seezer. While it's not perfect, it's hilarious given his specialty. I also learned (fortunately NOT the hard way) that making the guy going at your balls with a sharp knife laugh is not a good idea.

fade

fade

Oh, I did forget one thing. There is a building pressure that you'll feel for the obvious reasons for the first week or so. Some ice helps. You're told not to, well, do anything with your junk ifyouknowwhatimean for like 8 days. At the end of 8 days, it's like that scene from the first Scary Movie. And what a relief.

dill616

dill616

Oh, I did forget one thing. There is a building pressure that you'll feel for the obvious reasons for the first week or so. Some ice helps. You're told not to, well, do anything with your junk ifyouknowwhatimean for like 8 days. At the end of 8 days, it's like that scene from the first Scary Movie. And what a relief.

I can work with this.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

8 days? That's nothing.

dill616

dill616

8 days? That's nothing.
I feel like there should be a creationist joke in there.

On the 8th day, he did blowith his load upon the world. And it was great for he had become one with the fruit of life. And no more would the plum rest betwixt his legs.

fade

fade

8 days? That's nothing.
Speak for yourself.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Speak for yourself.
I won a contest once.

Tress

Tress

I won a contest once.
It sounds like there were no winners in this contest of yours.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

No matter who wins... everyone loses?

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I won a contest once.
You were "the master of your domain"?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Out standing in his field.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm out.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Out standing in his field.
Is he a farmer? They do that all the time.

fade

fade

Pet peeve: when young guys dress like old men. I don't know--just seems so pretentious and douchey. I'm talking about newsboy hats and suspenders and high-waisted pants.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Pet peeve: when young guys dress like old men. I don't know--just seems so pretentious and douchey. I'm talking about newsboy hats and suspenders and high-waisted pants.
I know the kind of look you mean, and I partly agree... But I do think suspenders look cute.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The fact that flannel shirts are the new main article of clothing with my generation. I don't know, I guess its just cos I'm a hoody man.

grub

grub

I remember flannel last time it came around, I think I still have some in my closet.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Flannel is really a bad idea in Texas. It just doesn't get cold enough to be able to wear it most of the time.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Flannel is really a bad idea in Texas. It just doesn't get cold enough to be able to wear it most of the time.
But the flannel sold here is thinner than some Oxford shirts.

Frank

Frank

People who say on accident instead of by accident.

On accident is what a child says when they are learning to speak. The fact that so many people under 30 use it prevalently proves (to me) that people of my generation were never corrected.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Or they know the proper meaning and just said it incorrectly on accident.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But ... "accident" implies there's nobody to blame.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Or they know the proper meaning and just said it incorrectly on accident.
I agree. It could just be an accident.

figmentPez

figmentPez

If I can't easily download it to my portable audio player, then it's not a podcast. Youtube videos are not podcasts.

BErt

If I can't easily download it to my portable audio player, then it's not a podcast. Youtube videos are not podcasts.
That brofist icon is not big enough to convey how much I agree. It should be shooting fireworks, too.

Gusto

Gusto

That brofist icon is not big enough to convey how much I agree. It should be shooting fireworks, too.
If I may:

BErt

Yes, that works nicely.

David

David

An accident, you say?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Not necessarily. Simply that it was unforeseen and unplanned. Not that it was unforeseeable.

If my child is carrying a hammer unsafely, he doesn't foresee the possible outcome, though I do. If he drops it and hurts himself or someone else, it is still an accident. Even though he didn't foresee it he is still to blame.
I'm pretty sure he was quoting Hot Fuzz

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

When people toss good leftovers in the trash. I WANTED THOSE SWEET POTATOES!

Whenever I go on thewebcomiclist and see under "new" comics one of my favorites that haven't updated in a while...and its not new. WHAT THE HELL?! FIX THIS STUPID GLITCH!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Captain Nemo (of 20,000 leagues under the sea) disagrees - he split hairs between "accident" and "incident" because "accident" infers human error, so a freak act of nature (an iceberg suddenly capsizing and smacking his submarine upside the dorsal ridge) he calls an "incident."

fade

fade

People who explain the joke in comments. Why? Is that to wow us with your super-big brain?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

BananaHands

BananaHands

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

People who explain the joke in comments. Why? Is that to wow us with your super-big brain?
The other side of this is people who comment not understanding the joke. Both types are awful. Love the joke, or hate the joke, but for the love of god, just get the joke.

Gusto

Gusto

I MAEK JOEKZ

Cog

Cog

People who keeps complaining about something they don't like or use. Haters of linux, apple, xbone, windows 8, etc, etc.

fade

fade

Or when the people who complain about thing they don't use, and use complaints that clearly show they haven't touched it in years. I saw some idiot in the Lifehacker comments talking about why Android was superior to iOS, complete with screenshots. The amusing part was that almost none of his drawn-out arguments were true.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It bugs me so much when reviwers/critics/journalists/etc tell the reader/viewer how the subject matter makes the reader/viewer feel. "This scene just makes you feel happy inside." What? No, no it doesn't. How would you know how this makes me feel? I"m pretty sure you meant "This scene made me feel happy inside" but maybe you're so caught up in being the voice of the people that you've forgotten you're not psychic.

Krisken

Krisken

Here I thought they were film buffs who didn't have what it takes to make their own movies.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I finally saw Ratatouille for the first time last week, and this ending speech is relevant.

Gusto

Gusto

I love that speech. I love that movie. My favourite Pixar.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Agreed. That movie really hit me. I was disappointed that so many people I know viewed it as a weak film.

Gusto

Gusto

The greater themes spoke to me as an artist. And the music was lovely.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, I love his commentary on the worth of criticism versus the worth of basically offering up your soul.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Ratatouille was nominated for five Oscars and won Best Animated Film. Most of my friends love The Incredibles and Toy Story to death, but for some reason seem to have forgotten about Ratatouille.

My favorite part is when the critic tries the ratatouille and suddenly sees himself as a kid enjoying his Mom's cooking. He doesn't even say a word but you can see the nostalgia (a mix of joy, love, comfort, and some sadness) welling up inside him. While a cook nourishes the body, a true chef nourishes the soul.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Gah! I cry every time I watch that.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

We made a point of going to Chef's de France in Epcot just to see the Remy animatronic at lunch, it was great food too.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Holy crap! I didn't know that was a place. I may have to hit that when we go in November.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

When something says its coming out today and it isn't out yet. The wait is MADDENING!

GasBandit

GasBandit

When something says its coming out today and it isn't out yet. The wait is MADDENING!
T MINUS 42 MINUTES AND COUNTING

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Not what I'm waiting for personally, but I feel your pain. Sometimes you just end up sitting on your damn computer chair hitting refresh over and over again, the madness takes hold quickly.

GasBandit

GasBandit

BananaHands

BananaHands

I have a friend Tim that constantly chomps on his fucking gum. Everyone acts like I'm such an asshole for telling him to stop chomping it. Then he leaves, then everyone else goes "MAN THAT WAS ANNOYING." OH, I'M THE ASSHOLE FOR SAYING SOMETHING!?

Two of my pet peeves in one rant.

Tress

Tress

I have a friend Tim that constantly chomps on his fucking gum. Everyone acts like I'm such an asshole for telling him to stop chomping it. Then he leaves, then everyone else goes "MAN THAT WAS ANNOYING." OH, I'M THE ASSHOLE FOR SAYING SOMETHING!?

Two of my pet peeves in one rant.
I feel your pain. The other night a friend of mine literally started scratching his nuts in front of a group of us. In public. He's a bit of a dumbass, but this was still an astonishing level of crude and dumb. I tried to let it go, thinking he would quickly stop, but NOPE. He just kept going. Finally I told him to knock it off, and I get this awkward and angry look like I'm the bad guy. Finally his wife backed me up and told him to stop as well, and that seemed to snap him out of it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I finally saw Ratatouille for the first time last week, and this ending speech is relevant.
The greater themes spoke to me as an artist. And the music was lovely.
I have no small ability with words. Given sufficient time, I can generally craft prose which not only says that which I want to say, but also says it the way I desire it said.

That said, what skill I possess seems unplanned and clumsy when compared with the graceful manner in which that movie playfully, yet powerfully, dances the universal idea into your head that disparate ingredients, well-chosen and skillfully combined, can add up to so much more than the sum of those parts as to cause your startled brain to hand the phone over to your heart while saying, "My mistake, this must be for you."

My peeve? That so many people who see this movie only see the story, not the message. It's too important to miss, but so many people Just. Don't. Get it.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I hate when people try having conversations with me through phone texting. Look, if you want to converse with me, chat with me through a means more comfortable, like in person or even chatting on Skype or something. I have a friend who keeps doing this. Not only are they the type that tries to have a conversation with me, but he's also the ridiculously excitable type who will send three, four, sometimes five or six texts at a time.

fade

fade

Biting tongue about Ratatouille (and yes, I got the drift of the movie), lest I get the "fade doesn't like" brand again.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Your posts about Ratatouille...

Fade doesn't like them.:awesome:

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Biting tongue about Ratatouille (and yes, I got the drift of the movie), lest I get the "fade doesn't like" brand again.
Just... own it. Do eet.

I hate when people try having conversations with me through phone texting. Look, if you want to converse with me, chat with me through a means more comfortable, like in person or even chatting on Skype or something. I have a friend who keeps doing this. Not only are they the type that tries to have a conversation with me, but he's also the ridiculously excitable type who will send three, four, sometimes five or six texts at a time.
I am guilty of this. I'm a phone addict, and I text like a motherfucker, almost all day. That said, I do have friends like you who find it really annoying/difficult, so I try to Skype or whatnot with them.

On behalf of all of us compulsive texters, though, my sincere apologies for the difficulties we cause.

fade

fade

My feeling on Ratatouille is this: Yes, everything you all are saying is absolutely correct. It has that message. That's wonderful, and it's an okay watch. But... so does, like every single "rise of the artist" film ever made. They all say that same message. It's not very new, and Ratatouille has very little character growth on top of that. Remy is already at the top of his cooking game when he starts. He's already good at almost everything. Even the kid grows little. He's still a crappy chef who gets basically demoted to waiter by the end. The critic has the most growth, I guess, but that message about evocation as the thrill of art is old. There's always some curmudgeon who's eyes are opened or reopened. None of that is bad in and of itself, but it does make the movie only a solid middle-of-the-pack to me.

Bones

Bones

My feeling on Ratatouille is this: Yes, everything you all are saying is absolutely correct. It has that message. That's wonderful, and it's an okay watch. But... so does, like every single "rise of the artist" film ever made. They all say that same message. It's not very new, and Ratatouille has very little character growth on top of that. Remy is already at the top of his cooking game when he starts. He's already good at almost everything. Even the kid grows little. He's still a crappy chef who gets basically demoted to waiter by the end. The critic has the most growth, I guess, but that message about evocation as the thrill of art is old. There's always some curmudgeon who's eyes are opened or reopened. None of that is bad in and of itself, but it does make the movie only a solid middle-of-the-pack to me.
"a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." :)

which is to say, I try not to get down on a movie for being fun but following a formula, not everything has to be deep as the oceans or chart a new course. The movie does the correct job of describing its message in a family friendly format and is a safe bet like all disney movies. I expect no more nor less from Disney.

PatrThom

PatrThom

the movie [is] only a solid middle-of-the-pack to me.
Possibly because you've seen a similar story before. It's trite, a trope, and old news. I agree.
My comments earlier are just that Ratatouille invests so much of its energy in the sending of its message. Its message is fuguelike in its presentation, where it is demonstrated several different ways on many different levels by multiple characters, culminating in a naked, explicit revelation by one of the principal characters just in case you weren't able to pick up on the hints.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I feel like Ratatouille is a movie aimed at foodies, and with them it is going to resonate a lot more. I certainly liked it for that reason. I also think it's ok to make a movie aimed at a specific group. The late Roger Ebert wrote that a movie made for everyone is made for no one, and that's what makes Ratatouille special to me.

David

David

It's possible I may have posted this before, but strangers touching my car to leave advertisements on my windshield that I didn't ask for.

-That mini heart-attack moment when I see paper on my windshield and think I may have gotten a parking ticket does not leave me with a good emotional connotation with whatever it is you're advertising.
-I now have an extra piece of trash to keep track of and move to a trash/recycling can because if I just toss it away from the car, suddenly I'M the littering criminal. For this piece of paper I never wanted and never agreed to take.
-My windshield is my personal property, not a public bulletin board. I shouldn't be in the wrong for not wanting people messing with it who don't have official business doing so (officer leaving a ticket, someone bumped into me and left a note, ect.)

fade

fade

I did that in college. I felt bad about doing it, but, you know, money.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hey, even I sold magazine subscriptions to lonely old people via telephone when I was young and broke.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I remember stuffing leaflets of a nature organisation in letter boxes. Fun part was they literally said: "Those mail boxes with stickers on them saying "no unaddressed commercial mail please" or "no advertisements please", be sure to do those! They may be people who care about the environment, so they're our core audience!"

Crappy job, but sort of fun as long as the weather was good.

Gared

Gared

I remember stuffing leaflets of a nature organisation in letter boxes. Fun part was they literally said: "Those mail boxes with stickers on them saying "no unaddressed commercial mail please" or "no advertisements please", be sure to do those! They may be people who care about the environment, so they're our core audience!"

Crappy job, but sort of fun as long as the weather was good.
Strangely enough, I checked through the laws in our area semi-recently regarding adverts hung on door-knobs; and apparently the home-owner/renter cannot do anything to prevent those advertisements from being hung on their doors unless they're able to put up a gate, and even then the gate has to be kept locked at all times. Gods forbid we impede the efforts of the corporations to make money, eh?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Why do they put the most itchy, stiff material in the neckband as the tag for the shirt? Then they stitch them in with tight, small stitches so removing them is time consuming.

Most of my shirts are ok, but there are a few shirts where the manufacturer must be making these name tags out of briars...
They must be getting paid by Hanes. Until now, I never knew of anyone that had itchy tags. Like Hanes says in there commercials about why they silk screen the tag on the neck of the shirt now. Which looks really trashy if you are wearing a t-shirt with out anything over it now.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Why do they put the most itchy, stiff material in the neckband as the tag for the shirt? Then they stitch them in with tight, small stitches so removing them is time consuming.

Most of my shirts are ok, but there are a few shirts where the manufacturer must be making these name tags out of briars...

I don't really mind in shirts - just a minor annoyance.

However, tags in underwear, now those can be so incredibly uncomfortable I'd prefer going commando if I could get away with it sometimes.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Patently false drama/message on Facebook and the like.

For example, there's currently a story going around (among Belgians) about an old historical building being demolished shortly in Antwerp, to make way for a new hotel. Of course, it's all the fault of those Big Bad Evil Neo-Liberals running the city these days (even though such decisions, if true, would've been taken by the previous, socialist city council...But anyway).

Now, if they really were tearing down this building, it'd be quite a loss. However, it's only recently been granted a subsidy to be completely renovated and redecorated in the original style. Nobody seems to care, though - I've seen a petition with several thousand signatories asking to "stop" the demolition, people calling for a march on city hall, "humorous" songs,...and because of the fantastic quality of print journalism in this day and age, it's already on the website of at least 3 national papers. It's been pointed out in every Facebook group, in the comments of every article on it, eevrywhere, that it's not true, but nothing happens - everyone just goes along with it because, apparently, it's just too much darn fun to piss on the right wing for our left-leaning media to stop and think or check facts. Honestly, this drives me UP THE WALL. STOP IT. Check your facts! Read for yourself, do'nt just repost! GAH!

figmentPez

figmentPez

A pet peeve of mine is bad reporting of health news/studies. I just saw an article claiming that eating vegetarian is healthier because vegetarians had a lower BMI. Aside from the fact that the BMI is a load of bullshit when it comes to measuring health, it's pretty damn obvious where the flaw in their research lies. They compared vegetarians to all people who eat meat freely. Vegetarians are on a restricted diet, quite a few people on meat are on a virtually unrestricted diet. They would have done better to compare vegetarians to people who eat meat, but still have to restrict certain foods, like the gluten intolerant, people with other severe allergies, or who otherwise have difficulty eating whatever suits them. Any time you broadly restrict what can be eaten, and end up forcing someone to eat a smaller variety of food, especially if that requires them to think about what they eat, and often cook themselves instead of just living on fast food, then you're going to have people weigh less.

Next, let's compare people who go rock climbing to all other people, and therefore prove that rock climbing is more healthy than any other type of exercise!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Cows are vegetarian...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Cows are vegetarian...
So you're saying it's not eating vegetarian that does it, but eating vegetarians?

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So you're saying it's not eating vegetarian that does it, but eating vegetarians?

--Patrick
I had a sister in-law that thought eating vegetarian would make her thin. She was eating cereal just before going to bed, and not getting any exercise at all... and ballooned up about 50 pounds, while not eating meat.

But when she said how much cereal she was eating and when, I slipped and said "But that is what cows eat."

Bubble181

Bubble181

People proclaiming themselves experts on topics they then go on to prove their absolute lack of knowledge about. I'm a know-it-all myself, with a very wide but rather shallow base of knowledge. I know and accept this. I'm likely to spout off, but when an actual expert speaks, I tend to listen and try to evaluate what they're saying.
Quite hard when self-procliamed "experts" say things that are 100% complete and utter BS.

Brought on by the UN proclaiming an old local tradition racist, and proving they know much about by saying "you don't need a second Santa Claus anyway" - when Santa Claus is a friggin' Coca Colazised version of our Saint Nick! Ours predates the American version* by an easy 200 years. Shut up, if we're going to ditch one of them, it should very definitely be the one not indigenous to our own culture.

Fuck the elftist politically correct church sometime. Really.

*I'm aware it's only been popularized by Coke, and not, as often claimed, invented by them.

PatrThom

PatrThom

To be (un)fair, the Church has a long history of blurring the differences between icons, and then only keeping the ones it likes.

--Patrick

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Fuck the elftist...
Read this as "elfist" and reconstrued the story in my head as being racist against Santa's elves...[DOUBLEPOST=1383064210,1383063760][/DOUBLEPOST]
A pet peeve of mine is bad reporting of health news/studies.
No kidding. ... But the blatant misrepresentation is pretty annoying.
I would expand this to just 'science reporting.' It's horrible. On so many levels. Misrepresentation, pure ignorance, jumping to conclusions, not reading the actual study, or checking its references (you'd be surprised how many published studies reference studies done by at least one of the participating scientists. This is more a peer review problem, but no reason journalists couldn't do a little background inspection and call both the scientists and their peer reviewers out... I digress).

One of my favourite examples of this was when some physicists reported some funky numbers on neutrinos that seemed to indicate a flaw in their research, because it appeared that they were moving faster than light. Rather than reporting "Scientists make math error, seek collaboration" the headlines were things like EINSTEIN WRONG?! SCIENCE MOVES OBJECTS BEYOND THE SPEED OF LIGHT and when the conclusions came back that, yes, errors were made (which the scientists knew/suspected) the headlines were EINSTEIN SAFE FROM IDIOT SCIENTISTS

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I realized this weekend that I have lost my patience with "committee-led" decision making of any kind. I would rather take the worst job that the committee could dish out than to sit on the committee and listening to all the yapping and yipping.

Let's sit and plan out the Thanksgiving menu.
Nope. It's flipping Turkey and dressing and potatoes and pies. Done.

Let's decide how to spend the remaining grant money.
Nope. Just buy more of the everyday-use items and call it a day.

I think my patience for a lot of things is shot right now. Maybe I am just a grumpy ass.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I realized this weekend that I have lost my patience with "committee-led" decision making of any kind. I would rather take the worst job that the committee could dish out than to sit on the committee and listening to all the yapping and yipping.

Let's sit and plan out the Thanksgiving menu.
Nope. It's flipping Turkey and dressing and potatoes and pies. Done.

Let's decide how to spend the remaining grant money.
Nope. Just buy more of the everyday-use items and call it a day.

I think my patience for a lot of things is shot right now. Maybe I am just a grumpy ass.
A camel is a horse designed by committee...

Tress

Tress

People who say "swears" as a noun. For example, "I don't like to use swears when I talk."

This drives me fucking batty. The word you dimwits are looking for is "profanity", as in "I don't like to use profanity." Saying "swears" makes you sound like a twit.

Bones

Bones

first of all the big 7 are not swears, they are curses. a swear is when you commit to doing something. like "BY ODINS BEARD I WILL END YOU!" a curse in the modern sense is a negative modifier like the 7 represent. Profanity is the best term for them, they profain a subject.

PatrThom

PatrThom

first of all the big 7 are not swears, they are curses. a swear is when you commit to doing something. like "BY ODINS BEARD I WILL END YOU!" a curse in the modern sense is a negative modifier like the 7 represent. Profanity is the best term for them, they profain a subject.
Some people also refer to them as "oaths."

Actually, most of the big 7 are vulgarities, not profanities. They are vulgar, not profain profane.
Swearing to God is an oath.
Swearing at God is a profanity.

--Patrick

Tress

Tress

Vulgar was originally an adjective describing an action of low class people. It started as a classist term for someone who felt they were above another person. It may not have the same meaning now, but I still avoid using it for that reason.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I hate any headline of something that says "New study proves that..."

Science does not work that way.

Tress

Tress

"New study proves that most newspaper staff lack a basic understanding of the scientific method."

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's how we ended up with the vaccination causing autism debacle.

Mathias

Mathias

A pet peeve of mine is bad reporting of health news/studies. I just saw an article claiming that eating vegetarian is healthier because vegetarians had a lower BMI. Aside from the fact that the BMI is a load of bullshit when it comes to measuring health, it's pretty damn obvious where the flaw in their research lies. They compared vegetarians to all people who eat meat freely. Vegetarians are on a restricted diet, quite a few people on meat are on a virtually unrestricted diet. They would have done better to compare vegetarians to people who eat meat, but still have to restrict certain foods, like the gluten intolerant, people with other severe allergies, or who otherwise have difficulty eating whatever suits them. Any time you broadly restrict what can be eaten, and end up forcing someone to eat a smaller variety of food, especially if that requires them to think about what they eat, and often cook themselves instead of just living on fast food, then you're going to have people weigh less.

Next, let's compare people who go rock climbing to all other people, and therefore prove that rock climbing is more healthy than any other type of exercise!

Fig, you don't know how many times I've dug my fingers into my palms reading about scientific advances in biology and health in mainstream news.

Mathias

Mathias

That's how we ended up with the vaccination causing autism debacle.

I was just arguing with a friend (not the brightest) about why she should get flu vaccinations. Long story short: she saw a video on Youtube of a girl that claims to have to walk backwards (I shit you not) because of taking a flu shot : http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/desiree-jennings-dystonia-hoax.

Anyway, she's convinced that one in a million (hundreds of million) chances to get some weird side-effects justify not taking the vaccine (she'd rather deal with the flu). See that's thinking on an individual level. Vaccination works at a population level. Because she and many other people refuse vaccination, they have longer periods of being contagious. Influenza is an amazing display of how evolution works. It's genome goes though antigenic shifts, antigenic drift, and has a high mutation rate. Really, the only true way for seasonal flu vaccines to be extremely effective is if almost everyone is vaccinated. Unvaccinated people pose a huge risk for immune compromised people, infants, and elderly.

My friend still doesn't believe me; she thinks because I work in pharma that I'm in on some sort of huge conspiracy to keep people sick. If that were the case, I want my sweet, sweet conspiracy money. She's an idiot. And she's not alone. I don't know where people get off thinking experts and medical professionals are wrong, but mainstream media and celebrities are to be trusted. The sad thing is, this line of thinking then extends to other viruses, which is why there's a recent increase in measles, mumps, polio, and whooping cough (pertussis).

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

My friend still doesn't believe me; she thinks because I work in pharma that I'm in on some sort of huge conspiracy to keep people sick. If that were the case, I want my sweet, sweet conspiracy money. She's an idiot. And she's not alone. I don't know where people get off thinking experts and medical professionals are wrong, but mainstream media and celebrities are to be trusted. The sad thing is, this line of thinking then extends to other viruses, which is why there's a recent increase in measles, mumps, polio, and whooping cough (pertussis).
Does this friend live in Florida... I LOVE the "I don't wanna see anything from the freak" feature on facebook, I can go look when my wife starts really laughing at something she posts, but don't have to put up with the bs that she posts hourly.

Bones

Bones

@Mathias I feel you man. Just had conversations like that. kind of a who even gets those anymore anyways. had to remind the person thats because we are all vaccinated against them.

Zappit

Zappit

Vaccine ignorance is such a hypocritical viewpoint. See, the vaccine is a horrible risk to take, but once they get the infection, they can't pop other drugs fast enough to deal with the symptoms. THOSE can't possibly have ANY side effects.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I have my Vaccination booklet up to date with all my shots. I really dont understand why people would hesitate to take em. The chances of having some kind of reaction are so minimal I might as well get hit by lightning.

Mathias

Mathias

I have my Vaccination booklet up to date with all my shots. I really dont understand why people would hesitate to take em. The chances of having some kind of reaction are so minimal I might as well get hit by lightning.

They would rather kids have very real odds of getting Polio, I suppose. I can't stand "truthiness" logic. It's the same kind of mentality that drives people to play the lottery. Humans are horrible at rationalizing the odds of somethings.