Plans to Ban Peanuts from Planes

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt²

TLDR rest of thread... IMO, I think people with those severe allergies should need to pay for a special flight that is specifically "peanut free" similar to how there used to be "smoke free" planes if my memory serves me correctly.. THEY are the ones with the severe allergies, THEY are forcing their condition(s) on others and it's not fair for the rest of the passengers and/or crew. Also as example, how they make extremely large people buy a 2nd seat for the one next to them.

I think Morphine feels that the risk of actual life-threatening incidents under these circumstances is exaggerated. She's not wrong, and it seems absurd to require a law for it. But on the other hand, it's such a lopsided argument (people don't get their peanuts, instead getting pretzels vs. someone might die of analphylactic shock) it's hard to see a problem with the ban.

R

Reboneer

TLDR rest of thread... IMO, I think people with those severe allergies should need to pay for a special flight that is specifically "peanut free" similar to how there used to be "smoke free" planes if my memory serves me correctly.. THEY are the ones with the severe allergies, THEY are forcing their condition(s) on others and it's not fair for the rest of the passengers and/or crew. Also as example, how they make extremely large people buy a 2nd seat for the one next to them.
Fuck that, the people who absolutely must have peanuts can take the separate flight. Why should others suffer because some fatass can't go a few hours without peanuts?

Wow... just... wow...

This is the dumbest and most discriminitory thing on the thread.

I remember when people used to bitch about HAVING to eat peanuts on a plane.

These people feel that they have an entitlement to some of the crappiest food on the planet. BRING BACK AIRLINE CHICKEN! So Seinfeld can have something to make observations about.

P

Philosopher B.

It's not FAIR to be born with the inability to enter a room with peanuts and not get funked up physically ...

I kinda think it's a little funny seeing people get worked up over this. It's freakin' peanuts. There must be a billion other things to snack on. I mean, I kinda get the 'one and the many' argument, but seriously, going without peanuts does not seem to me to be a huge sacrifice.

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Like, what, if you don't get your peanuts, you get the shakes or something?

C

Chibibar

You know. I do have friends who are alergic to peanut. A friend of mine can't even touch a peanut. She will break out in a rash on her skin, but she still flies and actually have a roommate who love peanut butter and she is ok (she does have epi-pen with her at all time)

I have a medium allergic reaction to olives. I will break out but will not die from it, does this mean we need to ban olives? my wife is allergic to seafood in general, does this mean we ban seafood? A friend of mine is allergic to hops. She can't drink bear or eat bread made from it, do we ban bread? (she is also deathly allergic to it)

I am not trying to be cruel/mean, but I think some of the post above should look into. Air recycling should be pretty good. If a person is eating peanut 2 rows in front of them, they shouldn't be getting a reaction unless you have Bullseye flicking peanuts at people.

I think the difference here is that there are some people who have allergic reactions from being in a room with peanuts, not eating them. Why peanuts cause such extreme reactions I don't know, but I have heard of it before this. I guess someone figured that maybe, because of the risk associated, it would be okay to swap them out for other snacks, a mostly moot point as this is already the practice of most airlines currently.

C

Chibibar

I think the difference here is that there are some people who have allergic reactions from being in a room with peanuts, not eating them. Why peanuts cause such extreme reactions I don't know, but I have heard of it before this. I guess someone figured that maybe, because of the risk associated, it would be okay to swap them out for other snacks, a mostly moot point as this is already the practice of most airlines currently.
That is same with my friend on hops. She can't even smell beer and get a weird reaction heaven forbid if it touches her.

but I guess since peanut is more common than hops, so we gotta ban peanuts?

Shell fish and olives don't give of a fine dust that drifts across the room. Pick up a glass jar of Planters, look at the bottom of the jar and look at all that peanut dust. Now imagine dozens of bags with that dust inside, getting opened next to you. Now it is floating in the closed environment of a plane's cabin.

My own personal hypothesis on the allergy and why it is getting worse, is that it is in everything (well a lot anyway.) We slather our kids in the stuff. It is one of the most popular fried foods oil. It is used as and extender in a lot of different food stuffs. I think we are over-saturated with peanuts and many are starting to develop allergies to it.

Now at 40 I am starting to get a little choked up when I eat peanuts. Now I am getting a little concerned that I may develop an allergy.

Years ago the major airlines learned of the peanut allergy risk to passengers.
They performed a risk analysis of continuing to serve peanuts on airplanes over an alternate snack.
They found that the risk of serving peanuts greatly outweighed the cost savings to continue serving them.
They all stopped serving peanuts on their flights and started advertising as such.
They have now given the regulatory bodies the go ahead to make their existings business practices mandatory.
The smaller airlines will now have to react to law and its impact on their business.

And now we are telling peanut allergy sufferers that it is all their fault? It's just business people.

That is same with my friend on hops. She can't even smell beer and get a weird reaction heaven forbid if it touches her.

I can tell very few of you have directly experienced having an anaphylactic reaction or seen someone you care about undergo one. It's sad... but anyways... it seems most here are freaking out about their civil liberties being eroded or are taking offense that they may have to experience a minor inconvenience for a few hours while sharing a public form of transportation with other human beings. I'm don't think I'm going to respond any further because it's a waste of time. I'm sorry that you feel affronted by people's allergies and maybe someday you'll be able to have a little more compassion than you do now.

Lastly, thanks to those of you who have been giving me negative rep because of my views on this (I'm pretty sure I know who you are anyways). You guys rock my world *hugs*.

M

Matt²

I think a good alternative would be to have an OPTION by polling, asking the questions of passengers if they have a peanut allergy, and if there is someone with a severe reaction, have an alternative snack available and not use peanuts for that flight. Not everyone likes peanuts anyway, so there's going to be a lot of different (when I've flown anyways) options available, so it should still be cost effective. Otherwise, it's very discriminatory in itself because of one or two people. For it to be FORCED on smaller airlines is just plain wrong.

I think a good alternative would be to have an OPTION by polling, asking the questions of passengers if they have a peanut allergy, and if there is someone with a severe reaction, have an alternative snack available and not use peanuts for that flight. Not everyone likes peanuts anyway, so there's going to be a lot of different (when I've flown anyways) options available, so it should still be cost effective. Otherwise, it's very discriminatory in itself because of one or two people. For it to be FORCED on smaller airlines is just plain wrong.
You never fail to entertain. Food option is discrimination, but banning 1% of the population from airplanes because how Americans prepare peanuts is not discrimination. I am glad that the government will sometimes to the right thing and override majority rule.

C

Chibibar

I can tell very few of you have directly experienced having an anaphylactic reaction or seen someone you care about undergo one. It's sad... but anyways... it seems most here are freaking out about their civil liberties being eroded or are taking offense that they may have to experience a minor inconvenience for a few hours while sharing a public form of transportation with other human beings. I'm don't think I'm going to respond any further because it's a waste of time. I'm sorry that you feel affronted by people's allergies and maybe someday you'll be able to have a little more compassion than you do now.

Lastly, thanks to those of you who have been giving me negative rep because of my views on this (I'm pretty sure I know who you are anyways). You guys rock my world *hugs*.[/QUOTE]

well.. I have seen allergic reaction. I told you my friend (real life which I hang out) she is a major reaction and she use to room with my other friend who LOVES peanut butter.
I am actually being serious that if you are going to ban certain food due to allergies, they should ban all known food allergies that people have. It is only a fair way to go about it.

That is my take on it.
(note: I don't know how the rep thing work so I don't mess with it so it wasn't me)

The number one reason peanuts are no longer served on airlines is because the chocolate manufacturers got their products rated kosher and are able to produce them at competitive price to peanuts. The risk of allergy sufferers just makes the choice very simple.

C

Chibibar

The number one reason peanuts are no longer served on airlines is because the chocolate manufacturers got their products rated kosher and are able to produce them at competitive price to peanuts. The risk of allergy sufferers just makes the choice very simple.
Heh. I will not be surprise if that is the case. I mean millions of people fly around the world each year (it is around 45k per day worldwide give or take according to some survey sites). They are all about making money and cutting back stuff. I use to remember when meals was included with drinks (except alcoholic) now you have to purchase your meals in some flights (international still included) and drinks (some are free)

This is more of a PR move that make them look good, but they are going to do it anyways cause it is cheaper to get alternative stuff (my guess)

well.. I have seen allergic reaction. I told you my friend (real life which I hang out) she is a major reaction and she use to room with my other friend who LOVES peanut butter.
I am actually being serious that if you are going to ban certain food due to allergies, they should ban all known food allergies that people have. It is only a fair way to go about it.

That is my take on it.
(note: I don't know how the rep thing work so I don't mess with it so it wasn't me)
Sorry Chibibar... I didn't mean to single you out with that quote... I had a totally different post all typed up but I changed it and forgot to take out all the quotes. I apologize.

B

Biardo

I've never had peanuts on a flight or any other free food for that matter:(

Had to post this:

There are entire schools that are banning peanuts now because one or two of their students are fatally allergic to peanuts. And I'm talking about a TOTAL ban; no peanuts in the cafeteria or even brought from home. A friend of mine taught at an elementary school where all the kids had to sanitize their hands if they so much as touched a peanut. Granted, the mandatory hand-cleaning is a good idea because kids tend to be pretty gross (I taught elementary schoolers too) but it's the principle of the thing.

Anyways, it might all be moot in the near future. They're developing allergen-free peanuts now.

... mutated peanuts???

Will they be bigger? And sing to me in my sleep?

"Your song is not ours!!!!"

I had a cousin die from an allergic reaction to peanuts. She never ate them or touched them..a kid she was talking to had a peanut butter/jam sandwhich for lunch and her air ways just...closed off.

Allergies, to anything, can be serious fucking business.

I'm in favor of the peanut ban.

Sorry but banning peanuts off airplanes wouldn't have saved her. Someone would have eaten something, touched something somewhere, may have previously carried traces of something on their clothes, whispered the words "cachauete" somewhere in a plane and because it is recycled air... she would have died especially with such a life changing condition. I'm sympathetic to your loss but nope, I'll still want my peanuts. (and I'll still carry my Snickers on board and stuff my face with it during long flights)

:smug:

C

Chibibar

That is my take on it.
Sorry Chibibar... I didn't mean to single you out with that quote... I had a totally different post all typed up but I changed it and forgot to take out all the quotes. I apologize.[/QUOTE]
No worries :) just clarifying

I've never had peanuts on a flight or any other free food for that matter:(
well too late now :) many airline charge for a lot of things that use to be free so you are not missing out anyways.

Man, all this drama and I thought they were banning peanuts so Bullseye couldn't kill old ladies with them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.