[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

"I'm bored and want to try something else"
"Nope, this new cast isn't doing anything for me either"
"I want to make something meaningful"
"I want to go back to the feeling of the good old days, let's go back to the original"

I mean, I don't mind, I do prefer the OG over the time skip reboot crew, and while I did like Mort it was something else entirely...;But i'll say it now: going back to the old group will not instantly give you more ideas, or more creativity, or, in the long run, more desire to do it.
Please please please also go back to the style of the older stories. Making a regular office sitcom is boring and done to death.

*Announces he will be restarting OG PVP and posts a new comic.*
*10 days later and we still haven't had an updated strip*

The more things change the more they stay the same.

I understand his popularity once upon a time. That he can still live off of PvP is starting to become ridiculous, and frankly a slap in the face of dozens/hundreds/probably thousands of comic makers who produce more and better work on a more regular basis, yet can only do it as a side-hobby that probably costs them more in hosting than it gains them.

I honestly don't have anything against Kurtz. But being a daily webcomic artist and producing two comics in a month is...Well. Something.

I understand his popularity once upon a time. That he can still live off of PvP is starting to become ridiculous, and frankly a slap in the face of dozens/hundreds/probably thousands of comic makers who produce more and better work on a more regular basis, yet can only do it as a side-hobby that probably costs them more in hosting than it gains them.

I honestly don't have anything against Kurtz. But being a daily webcomic artist and producing two comics in a month is...Well. Something.
I think it's just that he keeps promising this, that, or the other thing and then never delivers.

Rich Burlew has similar issues with delivering regular content, but at least he doesn't say "Yes friends, you'll see Order of the Stick updated three days a week from now on!"

I think it's just that he keeps promising this, that, or the other thing and then never delivers.

Rich Burlew has similar issues with delivering regular content, but at least he doesn't say "Yes friends, you'll see Order of the Stick updated three days a week from now on!"
Rich has had his issues, but the past few months, I don't think he's missed a week.
In contrast to PvP or goblins, for example, OotS's rhythm and story move in concert. When the updates slowed down, Rich didn't waste the single update in three weeks' time on a splash page that adds nothing, or a conversation that boils down to "err, hey" "oh, he there! Long time no see!".
PvP updates maybe once a week. At least the Mort interval had whole comics with a punchline and a twist or a story. PvP is....ta little gag and some set-up for a next comic that never comes.

Hurray! A new PvP comic!

...it's a Kringus comic.

...but one that technically could work as aone-off joke to return to other Christmas themed stuff later.

...but who am I kidding, he won't.

Hurray! A new PvP comic!

...it's a joke we've all made a million times before.

...it's the fifth comic since mid-November.

Oh well. Better luck next time, tune in for a new comic somewhere around the weekend of the 16th!

Huh.
I think this is the first time I've seen Cole squint...or do any eye expression where his eyes didn't fill up the entire lenses of this glasses, really.
Is this artistic evolution at work?

--Patrick

While I understand why he did it, I am kind of sad he just dumped the time skip. It feels like one of those things that once you open the box you have to commit. At the very least if you plan to get out of it, do something like imply Scratch made a time machine and went back to avert some terrible disaster, so at least you have an in-universe reason for going back to the standard characters and format.

This reminds me when Kurt made fun of Ctrl-Alt-Del doing a reboot after a big emotional "finale."

Actually, Kurt's back and forth on what to do with PvP reminds of CAD doing the same thing.

This reminds me when Kurt made fun of Ctrl-Alt-Del doing a reboot after a big emotional "finale."

Actually, Kurt's back and forth on what to do with PvP reminds of CAD doing the same thing.
To be fair to Kurtz, he's never tried to groom an underage girl or sent anyone dick pics. So he's got that going for him over the CAD guy

GasBandit

Staff member
To be fair to Kurtz, he's never tried to groom an underage girl or sent anyone dick pics. So he's got that going for him over the CAD guy
And there was that one time that the CAD guy got upset that the WOW guild he started became a community with a life of its own, so he disbanded it without warning rather than continue to let it exist as something that had grown beyond simply being about him.

At least Kurtz has never done anything like THAT, right?

And there was that one time that the CAD guy got upset that the WOW guild he started became a community with a life of its own, so he disbanded it without warning rather than continue to let it exist as something that had grown beyond simply being about him.

At least Kurtz has never done anything like THAT, right?
No, he just sorta quit. The guild carried on without him until it just faded into memory.

I was pretty sure almost exactly what you were referencing had happened with Tim's guild, dug a bit and found this:

In a delicious bit of irony:
There’s a newspost about it at PvP, where Scott Kurtz, whose call to arms has created much of Penny Arcade’s Horde opposition on Dark Iron, has created a forum 2 for “refugees” of the disbanding. As of the midnight commencing December 19th, there is no information about any disbandment on Buckley’s site. Posters on the new PvP ex-Rapscallion board claim Buckley is engaging in a campaign of information suppression, and that he and his moderators are deleting any related posts on his remaining forums.