R2-D2's Gender

What is R2-D2's gender?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After making an interesting discovery, I know want to know everyone else's thoughts. When you watched Star Wars, did you assign a gender to R2-D2, and if so, what was it? For the few who actually follow these links, vote first.

E

EpicEpileptic

I voted male because I thought I heard 3PO referring to R2 as 'he' a few times... but then again my memory is really faulty

S

SeraRelm

I'm not reading anything beyond the thread title nor looking at anything of which the poll consists. I am only hear to say R2D2 has no gender, nor do any of the other droids throughout the Star Wars universe. They are mechanical beings.

Please, think of the R2 units...

Cajungal said:
O man, after hearing what ed has to say about Wall-E, I can't wait til he posts here.
Edrondol said:
Creepygif.com? Not sure I want him to.
Well, that was anticlimactic.

Artoo's a toaster, I think. A walking, well-equipped, bleeping toaster, but a toaster nonetheless.

Toaster. R2 is an it, not a he or she. People give cars female names, but that doesn't make them female or male.

I don't care if it is a fem-bot. It's still a robot underneath. Wires and circuits, not vaginas and ta-tas.

I always saw artoo as non-gendered, and 3PO as 'male', due to his more human-like personality and body construction.

Astromech droids in general don't 'need' a gender, at least in my mind. But to me, at least, it does make a little more sense for a protocol droid to be created with a sense of gender, as they're meant to interact with humans and humanoids, most of which will also have a gender.

P

Philosopher B.

I would have used 'he' to describe R2, though he really is a toaster.

Q

Qonas

This......this is a question?

That people have asked themselves in wonder?

:facepalm:

W

Wasabi Poptart

I never gave it much thought (and voted for "toaster" because of this), but if you consider that electronic components have male and female connectors/plugs then I would guess androids can be of the male and female variety.

Q

Qonas

Clearly he'd go 'toaster'.

Even though the correct answer (yeah correct, there's no actual room for doubt here thanks to lines in the movies/notes from scripts/references from Lucas himself) is 'male'.

Went with male. While gendered robots, especially ones like R2, is a silly concept, this is Star Wars.

C

Chazwozel

Fun Size said:
After making an interesting discovery, I know want to know everyone else's thoughts. When you watched Star Wars, did you assign a gender to R2-D2, and if so, what was it? For the few who actually follow these links, vote first.

Robot...

Gender implies reproduction. Robots don't require gender reproduce.

Him and C3PO where obviously a gay couple...

@Chazwozel

So if you cut a man's balls he no longer has a gender!?

Cajungal

Staff member
Chazwozel said:
Fun Size said:

Robot...

I thought sex implied reproduction.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Chazwozel said:
Fun Size said:

Robot...

Neither do organisms like yeast and bacteria, yet they reproduce. As far as I know, gender doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reproduction and neither do genitals.

Cajungal

Staff member
I've seen videos of human-looking robots that look male or female and have a male or female voice. I always figured they'd been assigned a gender by the creator; they just don't have any sex organs. C-3PO had a male voice, so of course he's a "he." And when I think back, I always called R2 a "he." They seemed like the Bert and Ernie of Star Wars, or something like that.

I saw the fake documentary they made of R2D2 during the filiming of episode 2... I forgot the name, they even seel it on DVD. It has all the Star Wars cast and crew talking about R2 as if he was a real actor.

He got married with a few different women, had tons of girlfriends and even visited the Playboy mansion and stuff. They refer to him as "he" throughout. So even in real life Lucasarts considers him to be "male"

C

Chazwozel

@Li3n said:
Him and C3PO where obviously a gay couple...

@Chazwozel

So if you cut a man's balls he no longer has a gender!?

No sir, a man born with balls is still a man. A man born without balls is not.

-- Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:23 pm --

WildSoul said:
Chazwozel said:
Fun Size said:

Robot...

Neither do organisms like yeast and bacteria, yet they reproduce. As far as I know, gender doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reproduction and neither do genitals.
They don't sexually reproduce.

-- Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:23 pm --

WildSoul said:
Chazwozel said:
Fun Size said:

Robot...

They don't sexually reproduce.

YEAH TIME FOR A ROUND OF TRY AND BEST THE MOTHERFUCKING BIOLOGIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smug:

Status
Not open for further replies.