Export thread

R2-D2's Gender

Fun Size

Fun Size

After making an interesting discovery, I know want to know everyone else's thoughts. When you watched Star Wars, did you assign a gender to R2-D2, and if so, what was it? For the few who actually follow these links, vote first.

EpicEpileptic

I voted male because I thought I heard 3PO referring to R2 as 'he' a few times... but then again my memory is really faulty

Gusto

Gusto

Machine without a discernible shape or voice = toaster.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Angry male infant, with Scotty's l337 engineering skillz. -I hate myself for typing that way...

blotsfan

blotsfan

If R2D2 was a woman, she'd be in the kitchen making sandwiches instead of using power tools. :D

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

A Dudebot.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

EpicEpileptic said:
I voted male because I thought I heard 3PO referring to R2 as 'he' a few times... but then again my memory is really faulty
He does.
"You must repair him! Sir, if any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate them!" Said about R2 after Luke returns from blowing up the death star.

http://www.moviewavs.com/0085412111/MP3 ... tethem.mp3

He's always been referred to as "he".

SeraRelm

I'm not reading anything beyond the thread title nor looking at anything of which the poll consists. I am only hear to say R2D2 has no gender, nor do any of the other droids throughout the Star Wars universe. They are mechanical beings.

Please, think of the R2 units...

Cajungal

Cajungal

O man, after hearing what ed has to say about Wall-E, I can't wait til he posts here.

Hylian

Hylian

I never really thought about it till now but I always assumed R2-D2 was male

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Nothing to see here. Too busy to arrange a rehost.

Cat

Cat

Always rehost.

Cat said:
Always rehost.
Creepygif.com? Not sure I want him to.

Wahad

Wahad

Cajungal said:
O man, after hearing what ed has to say about Wall-E, I can't wait til he posts here.
Edrondol said:
Creepygif.com? Not sure I want him to.
Well, that was anticlimactic.

Artoo's a toaster, I think. A walking, well-equipped, bleeping toaster, but a toaster nonetheless.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Toaster. R2 is an it, not a he or she. People give cars female names, but that doesn't make them female or male.

I don't care if it is a fem-bot. It's still a robot underneath. Wires and circuits, not vaginas and ta-tas.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I always saw artoo as non-gendered, and 3PO as 'male', due to his more human-like personality and body construction.

Astromech droids in general don't 'need' a gender, at least in my mind. But to me, at least, it does make a little more sense for a protocol droid to be created with a sense of gender, as they're meant to interact with humans and humanoids, most of which will also have a gender.

Philosopher B.

I would have used 'he' to describe R2, though he really is a toaster.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

come on people, R2's penile probe inserting into the computer interfaces that look like Vagoos?

I think I'm turning myself on...

Qonas

This......this is a question?

That people have asked themselves in wonder?

:facepalm:

Wasabi Poptart

I never gave it much thought (and voted for "toaster" because of this), but if you consider that electronic components have male and female connectors/plugs then I would guess androids can be of the male and female variety.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Qonas said:
This......this is a question?

That people have asked themselves in wonder?

:facepalm:
But what would Tigh call them?

Qonas

Clearly he'd go 'toaster'.

Even though the correct answer (yeah correct, there's no actual room for doubt here thanks to lines in the movies/notes from scripts/references from Lucas himself) is 'male'.

Cat

Cat

Went with male. While gendered robots, especially ones like R2, is a silly concept, this is Star Wars.

Chazwozel

Fun Size said:
After making an interesting discovery, I know want to know everyone else's thoughts. When you watched Star Wars, did you assign a gender to R2-D2, and if so, what was it? For the few who actually follow these links, vote first.

Robot...

Gender implies reproduction. Robots don't require gender reproduce.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Him and C3PO where obviously a gay couple...

@Chazwozel

So if you cut a man's balls he no longer has a gender!?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Chazwozel said:
Fun Size said:

Robot...

I thought sex implied reproduction.

Hylian

Hylian

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gender
2 a: sex <the feminine gender> b: the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex

I see no requirement for genitals or reproduction in the second definition

Wasabi Poptart

Chazwozel said:
Fun Size said:

Robot...

Neither do organisms like yeast and bacteria, yet they reproduce. As far as I know, gender doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reproduction and neither do genitals.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I've seen videos of human-looking robots that look male or female and have a male or female voice. I always figured they'd been assigned a gender by the creator; they just don't have any sex organs. C-3PO had a male voice, so of course he's a "he." And when I think back, I always called R2 a "he." They seemed like the Bert and Ernie of Star Wars, or something like that.

Calleja

Calleja

I saw the fake documentary they made of R2D2 during the filiming of episode 2... I forgot the name, they even seel it on DVD. It has all the Star Wars cast and crew talking about R2 as if he was a real actor.

He got married with a few different women, had tons of girlfriends and even visited the Playboy mansion and stuff. They refer to him as "he" throughout. So even in real life Lucasarts considers him to be "male"

@Li3n said:
The man was born with the balls in question, so this question is ridiculous.

Chazwozel

@Li3n said:
Him and C3PO where obviously a gay couple...

@Chazwozel

No sir, a man born with balls is still a man. A man born without balls is not.

-- Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:23 pm --

WildSoul said:
Chazwozel said:
Fun Size said:

Robot...

Neither do organisms like yeast and bacteria, yet they reproduce. As far as I know, gender doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reproduction and neither do genitals.
They don't sexually reproduce.

-- Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:23 pm --

WildSoul said:
Chazwozel said:
Fun Size said:

Robot...

YEAH TIME FOR A ROUND OF TRY AND BEST THE MOTHERFUCKING BIOLOGIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smug:

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

drawn_inward said:
Toaster. R2 is an it, not a he or she. People give cars female names, but that doesn't make them female or male.

I don't care if it is a fem-bot. It's still a robot underneath. Wires and circuits, not vaginas and ta-tas.
Vaginas and ta-tas coming soon, brought to you by Japan!

Steve

Steve

@Li3n said:
Him and C3PO where obviously a gay couple
No, C3PO was obviously gay but not R2. R2 was just cool and had no problem with C3PO's sexual preference.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Cajungal said:
Wait, I must have missed this. What did he say? That Wall-E was actually programmed female, thus making the film the first in world history presenting the love story of two lesbian robots?

Cajungal

Cajungal

O he's just got a big problem with Wall-E, the fucking adorable robot who has the capacity to love... because he's a cruel old man whose heart is two sizes too small.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Link, please? =D

Cajungal

Cajungal

To be honest, I don't remember what thread it was. :\ Maybe someone else remembers.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cajungal said:
because he's a cruel old man whose heart is two sizes too small.
"You're a mean one, Mr. Ed!"

Cajungal

Cajungal

:rofl:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Cajungal said:
To be honest, I don't remember what thread it was. :\ Maybe someone else remembers.
I think that was from the podcast where they discussed movies

Wasabi Poptart

Chazwozel said:
WildSoul said:
Chazwozel said:
Fun Size said:

Robot...

Gender implies reproduction
. Robots don't require gender reproduce.

YEAH TIME FOR A ROUND OF TRY AND BEST THE MOTHERFUCKING BIOLOGIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smug:
But you didn't say anything about sex. You just said reproduction and there are things that don't require a gender in order to reproduce. (Yes, Dr. Bio-Alpha, it's as goofy as this entire thread. :tongue: )

Lally

Allen said:
Cajungal said:
I think that was from the podcast where they discussed movies
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5545

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

ha ha, ed hates robots with passion

Philosopher B.

What did they ever do to him. :waah:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

they loved him tenderly

edit:
Ed: "Robot, stop kissing me. I have a life to live."
Robot: "I'm afraid I can't do that Dave."

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Steve said:
@Li3n said:
No, C3PO was obviously gay but not R2. R2 was just cool and had no problem with C3PO's sexual preference.
Because he has a snooty, British accent that make him gay? Next, you'll tell me that David Hyde Pierce is gay. :eyeroll:

phil

phil

I think I kind of assigned him as a male because I'm a guy and tend to do that. It's like how even though I don't know the gender of a dog I'll refer to it as a he anyway. I think it's also from how he would always be around 3PO who actually had a male body and voice and I just kinda assumed male by association.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Steve said:
@Li3n said:
Sure, because being the butch one means you're not gay... (granted, he could have been bi, we don't see any "female" robots so there's no way to tell).

jwhouk

jwhouk

Short, chirping, headstrong. Sounded a lot like my mom. Female.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

drawn_inward said:
Steve said:
[quote="@Li3n":8p753nvd]Him and C3PO where obviously a gay couple
Because he has a snooty, British accent that make him gay? Next, you'll tell me that David Hyde Pierce is gay. :eyeroll:[/quote:8p753nvd]

:whistling:

Fun Size

Fun Size

sixpackshaker said:
drawn_inward said:
Steve said:
\"@Li3n\":1rk8ccoe said:
Because he has a snooty, British accent that make him gay? Next, you'll tell me that David Hyde Pierce is gay. :eyeroll:
:whistling:[/quote:1rk8ccoe]

Dacid Hyde Pierce isn't gay as far as I know. I'm pretty sure his husband is though.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Maybe that little thing that R2D2 used to hack into stuff was a robot willy.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

/male

@Li3n

@Li3n

HEY... at least tag it as NSFW... perv.

Calleja

Calleja

:hump:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

calleja dreams of electric sheep

Calleja

Calleja

and I'm paranoid.

C

Citrus Heist Hour

I don't think C-3PO could have gotten away with smacking a girl robot that much. He would have gone to Space Jail.

GasBandit

GasBandit

They called him "he" in the movies, so I always considered him a "he."

"You know, that little droid is going to cause me a lot of trouble." - Luke
"Oh, he excels at that, sir." - C3P0

But what I could never stomach was people spelling out their names phoenetically. You know.. "Threepio" and "Artoo." Drove me up the wall, especially in star wars books.