Random Video Game Crap

GasBandit

Staff member
I only have a vague idea of the game. Played it very briefly because my best friend plays it and she tried getting me into it; I didn't care for it. But despite that, I've been tempted to look into Arcane because I've heard a lot of good things about it.
The worst thing about the game is the people who play it. The community is notoriously toxic.

GasBandit

Staff member
I always kinda felt bad that I gave up on ROTT 2013 in the third level, because I wanted to like it so much..

Guess it turns out that was the right call.

This is a comprehesive look behind Roblox's success. And a lot of it boils down to exploiting kids, using a system not too dissimilar to company scrips used by mining companies. A practice which was banned in the U.S. As he says, "It would be illegal if it wasn't online."

And they just posted a follow-up video where Roblox basically tried to silence them. What a shock.

Last edited:
I have absolute no idea what Roblox is. Every time I see pictures of it somewhere I don't get the appeal.
I don't fully understand it, either, but it is MASSIVE among kids. My niece has been playing it for years. She particularly enjoys playing a Sims-like game, building houses.

Put it this way: apparently in their latest earnings report, they're bigger than Nintendo.

But who are they? That they are so popular with kids ist a bit worrying.
It's basically a community-driven creation program (like Little Big Planet, as Patrick pointed out). Kids can create whatever they want with the assets and tools provided by Roblox (or community created assets). So, as I said, there's a game within Roblox you can get similar to The Sims. I've seen some that were like "hide and go seek" or a game of tag.

And, as it turns out, it's incredibly exploitative because they have an in-game currency, which Roblox uses to take advantage of its young audience base (which is primarily made up of kids 12 and younger).

figmentPez

Staff member
They did the Little Big Planet thing, but they did it with much simpler graphics and this made it appeal much more to kids and escape parents' scrutiny.
I'd liken it more to Second Life but cut down to focus entirely on financially exploiting children. I assume someone saw how popular making mini-games in Minecraft was/is and decided that they wanted to build a money making machine around the idea.

I only have a vague idea of the game. Played it very briefly because my best friend plays it and she tried getting me into it; I didn't care for it. But despite that, I've been tempted to look into Arcane because I've heard a lot of good things about it.
Arcane is very good and you need 0 game knowledge to enjoy it.

There is nothing of the lore in the game at all, so you wouldn't be missing much not having played it. And if you come out of Arcane and are interested in the lore more, your better bet is to actually play the card game Legends of Runterra. Plus you don't have nearly the the toxicity since you're not locked in a game with randoms for minimum 15 minutes.

I still play League but only because I strictly play ARAMs, a much less serious game mode, and if people start being shitty I just immediately mute them.

My long standing offer for league still applies though that if anyone is interested I'm happy to teach and play with you.

figmentPez

Staff member
Quality-of-Life Update Uninstalls Game via Hard-Drive.net

"AUSTIN, Texas — Finally delivering on an anticipated feature that had been promised to fans for years, Bethesda released a quality-of-life update to their online multiplayer game Fallout 76 which improves upon the game’s core experience by uninstalling it from the user’s device."

This is parody. Give the article a read, it's great.

Me: Welp, let's try that Loop Hero game since I got it free through the Epic Games Store.

Epic Game Launcher: Why would you want to do that?

Me: I dunno, seems like fun.

EPL: Well, I don't feel like working right now?

Me: Why not?

EPL: Dunno. Just don't. Piss off.