Random Video Game Crap

Man, I'm just realizing September is gonna be a good month for video games for me.

-Grounded leaves Early Access
-A new Monkey Island game
-The Wandering Village releases (which I backed on Kickstarter)
-SpaceVenture finally coming out (another Kickstarter project)

SpaceVenture is especially surprising because I backed that nearly TEN YEARS AGO. I gave up hope it would ever release. At this point, I don't honestly expect it to be great, but the fact it's releasing at all is huge.

Me: Attempts Malenia 20 times before just giving up and deciding to come back later.

Lady with a DDR dance pad: Wuss.

Steam launched 19 years ago today. (Technically yesterday, but let's not split hairs.)

It's crazy to think how much it changed gaming. It made PC gaming more viable for casual players. It helped galvanize the rise of indie games and kicked open the doors for new developers. And it helped force AAA publishers to stop releasing piss poor, broken PC ports. Because man, I remember when the days when PC ports of console games were consistently awful.

I thought I was there from the beginning but I guess I was a little late to the party.

EDIT: I was reminded Half-Life 2 released in November 2004, which I recall buying not long after that. So my registration date lines up with that. I remember HATING registering a Steam account at the time. Especially because it meant I couldn't sell my physical copy of Half-Life 2 when I was done with it
Screenshot_20220913-113341_Steam.jpg

Last edited:
Steam launched 19 years ago today. (Technically yesterday, but let's not split hairs.)

It's crazy to think how much it changed gaming. It made PC gaming more viable for casual players. It helped galvanize the rise of indie games and kicked open the doors for new developers. And it helped force AAA publishers to stop releasing piss poor, broken PC ports. Because man, I remember when the days when PC ports of console games were consistently awful.

I thought I was there from the beginning but I guess I was a little late to the party.

EDIT: I was reminded Half-Life 2 released in November 2004, which I recall buying not long after that. So that my registration date lines up with that. I remember HATING registering a Steam account at the time. Especially because it meant I couldn't sell my physical copy of Half-Life 2 when I was done with it
View attachment 42519
Got in earlier than me by right at a year :D
1663080991070.png

Yeah, I opposed Steam for a long long time, it's DRM with a veneer of usability.
It's changed the gaming world, though I'm still not entirely convinced it was purely for the better.
Beats 25 different installers from 20 developers, though. Still sucks.

Yeah, I opposed Steam for a long long time, it's DRM with a veneer of usability.
It's changed the gaming world, though I'm still not entirely convinced it was purely for the better.
Beats 25 different installers from 20 developers, though. Still sucks.
Yeah, it's not without its faults. And you're right about it being DRM. One couid argue Steam's existence gave rise to GoG as a DRM-free option.

But yeah, Steam gave way to a massive rise in digital downloads, for better or worse. On the one hand, I love that I can still download and play games I bought nearly 20 years ago. On the other hand, Valve could just suddenly shut down tomorrow for whatever reason and I wouldn't have access to my library of 800+ games. That that hasn't happened for nearly 20 years is a testament to them, but it still means my library could be instantly wiped away.
Post automatically merged:

Got in earlier than me by right at a year :D
View attachment 42520
TOO SLOW, OLD MAN. :D

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Steam Years of Service Badge _ 19th Anniversary 2022-09-13.png

I think my first Steam game was Half-Life 2, which my computer at the time could barely run. Every time I picked up anything with the gravity gun, my FPS dropped below 20.

TOO SLOW, OLD MAN. :D
More of an indication of when I finally had money again. During the dot-com boom, I made a grip of money, but then the bottom fell out and I was out of work (except the occasional few-week consulting gig) between 2000-2003. 2005-2006 was just about the earliest I could likely afford to spend money on frivolities. And I likely signed up with the idea that I'd buy something for myself for Christmas. But according to my transaction history, I didn't make my first actual Steam purchase until May 2008

GasBandit

Staff member
I, too, was a late adopter, resistant to the idea of always-on DLC granting/denying me access to games I "own."

But when steam sales started routinely giving me what I wanted for under 10 bucks, I capitulated.

1663091041894.png

I mean, Half-Life 2 was mine too but I remember some point afterwards I lost access to my original account so I'm only at 14 years.