[Gaming] Ravenpoe's Retro-Gaming Revue

Why yes, I like alliteration.

So with me carrying two fantastic handheld emulation devices with me now, one Linux based and the other the Android based diy steam deck I posted about here, I've been playing a lot of retro games and thought I'd start posting about them here. Many of these are games I just never got to play as a kid, and without nostalgia to tint my perception I was expecting many of these to be less than spectacular, but so far I've been blown away with surprise

To start, we're going to talk about a classic game that everyone should know about. The first foray of one of gaming's greats into a fully 3D open world rpg adventure. The story of a young boy dressed in a primary color venturing out into adventure in this late 90s game that would be a true Legend in the making.

That's right, we're talking about MegaMan Legends.

003.jpg

You thought I was talking about Ocarina of Time, but MML came out on the PSX a full year before OoT hit the shelves, and I will argue it is the better game.

MML exists in it's own unique universe (all of the mega man games do, they're all disconnected) where the world has flooded and people live on the few islands remaining. Some people act as Diggers, adventurers that brave the dangers delving into ancient dungeons to retrieve lost tech, trying to avoid the hostile robots that still guard them.

010.jpg

With a big open world to explore, fun characters, and full voice acting to boot, the only thing that really holds this game back is the control scheme. This game has the misfortune to release before Sony had created the dualshock controller, so it was designed with a single d-pad in mind. You move in 3D space with the d-pad and turn your facing perspective with the shoulder buttons. Luckily if you are playing on an emulator, you can map the dpad to the left analog stick, and map the shoulder buttons to the left and right axis of the right analog stick, giving a much more modern feeling two stick control that honestly feels great to play.

Despite this game and it's sequel and prequel (both are equally great) being mostly forgotten, this game is also the source of the servbots, which still act as mascots for Capcom to this day.

006.jpg

GasBandit

Staff member
Isn't this also the first appearance of Tronne Bonne? If it wasn't for MvC2, I probably would never have even heard of this game.

Isn't this also the first appearance of Tronne Bonne? If it wasn't for MvC2, I probably would never have even heard of this game.
Tronne Bonne is the major antagonist/anti-hero of this game, and she has her own game, the Misadventures of Tronne Bonne, which acts as this games prequel. The servbots are her minions.

Also since official trailers are hard to find for MegaMan Legends, here's one someone made for their let's play.

PSX is the only plattform this was released, right? I thought I played a MegaMan Legends game on PS2 but I must have misremembered.

PSX is the only plattform this was released, right? I thought I played a MegaMan Legends game on PS2 but I must have misremembered.
It was released on PSX and Windows, weirdly, as well as released on the N64 under the title MegaMan64 (but without most of the voice acting).

The ps2 could play psx games though, so it is possible to have played it on a ps2.