Renewable Energy & Green Tech

I would love to have a power pack in a house that can cover central AC and fridge for a day. Besides having solar. Like having bad freeze or thunderstorm but it is too dark for solar you could still have enough for a full day without Solar or the Grid working.

figmentPez

Staff member
Full article is paywalled, so I haven't read it, but it's a fun headline:

Putting solar panels in grazing fields is good for sheep
"Sheep living among rows of solar panels spend more time grazing, benefit from more nutritious food, rest more and appear to experience less heat stress, compared with nearby sheep in empty fields."

The sheep also keep weeds from overgrowing the panels, and somehow reduce wildfire risks (because the fields aren't as dry without full sun exposure, maybe? The full article probably says more.)

Full article is paywalled, so I haven't read it, but it's a fun headline:

Putting solar panels in grazing fields is good for sheep
"Sheep living among rows of solar panels spend more time grazing, benefit from more nutritious food, rest more and appear to experience less heat stress, compared with nearby sheep in empty fields."

The sheep also keep weeds from overgrowing the panels, and somehow reduce wildfire risks (because the fields aren't as dry without full sun exposure, maybe? The full article probably says more.)
I don't know if it's the exact same article, but it's a non-paywalled source that coves the same ground

figmentPez

Staff member
NC town rejects solar farm, fearing it would suck up all the energy from the sun

"One resident, a retired Northampton County science teacher, reportedly said she was concerned that photosynthesis would not happen after she said she observed areas near solar panels where plants were brown and dead because they did not get enough sunlight.

"Another resident reportedly questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn't cause cancer."

The stupid, it burns!

GasBandit

Staff member
Home solar schill site: "In Texas, solar installations can range from $7000 to $25,000, with $11,000 being typical. Click here to get quotes!"

Me: Ok, that sounds doable... *click*

Quote 1: "$27,000."
Quote 2: "$27,500."
Quote 3: "$28,750 plus more if you want a battery and also fuck you and your stupid haircut, bitch."

Guess I won't be getting solar after all.

figmentPez

Staff member
What, again?
<checks article date>
Oh thank goodness (I guess(?), that) it's the same stupid and not fresh stupid.

--Patrick
I should have paid more attention to the date on the article. Thanks for alerting me that this was from 2015.

Neat!

GreenCleaner Tech
Energy Startup Says It Has Achieved Geothermal Tech Breakthrough

"An enhanced geothermal system expands the range of sites able to be tapped for geothermal energy, and Fervo’s demo is the first time a company has shown it can be done on this kind of commercial scale."