[Informational] Responsive Styles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
I've just added something called "Responsive Design". What this is supposed to do it make the sit look/feel better on mobile platforms.

Let me know if you have any issues. I know I have to tweak a few things.

Zappit

Staff member
Oh, just posted on that. I can't see anything on the sides, like the shoutbox. I can barely see the alert options. I don't think I like this at all. I do all my foruming on mobiles, but I truly liked the plain old ordinary design better.

Dave

Staff member
Oh, just posted on that. I can't see anything on the sides, like the shoutbox. I can barely see the alert options. I don't think I like this at all. I do all my foruming on mobiles, but I truly liked the plain old ordinary design better.
Hmm. What kind of mobile do you browse on?

You completely borked the forum for me for about 2 or 5 minutes, then everything started working again. Not complaining, I was just wondering what kind of update was going on :)

Dave

Staff member
You completely borked the forum for me for about 2 or 5 minutes, then everything started working again. Not complaining, I was just wondering what kind of update was going on :)
Yeah. See, we have 11 styles being used on the forum. Each style needs to be recached when I load an addon. In this case I had to add two, which took twice as long. I'm looking at getting rid of a few, but they are all being used by at least 3 people.

Dave

Staff member
Okay that explains it. Stienman uses XenMinimal, which doesn't have the Blocks. I think I'll turn off the Responsive for the default style and rename XenMinimal to XenMobile.[DOUBLEPOST=1354914532][/DOUBLEPOST]hurm. I guess XenMobile DOES have the blocks. Interesting. So why does that work and default not?

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, that's because I turned it off for most of the styles. To work right, you have to remove the sidebar. Look at XenMobile to see what I mean.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ironically, the style chooser has no scroll bars on my nexus, so I can't choose xenmobile from the list.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to try it out on the iphone 5. It was practically unusable. But I rarely use it that way, so it's not really an issue, but there's a data point.

Issue with the iPhone seems to be related to the size of the viewport on the style. The site down proportionately but doesn't fill the viewport so you have to zoom in and can still move the page horizontally.

Let me see if I can upload a picture from my phone, otherwise I'll post it when I'm at my desktop.
image.jpg

Another update. This is the same issue on Chrome for iOS too, so I think it's a WebKit issue.

On the plus side photo uploading works great on here

image.jpg

Dave

Staff member
It has to do with the sidebar blocks. To make it look right I'd have to turn them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.