Rick Perry Announcement 7/8/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, you can cheer all you want, but he's likely doing it to run for president in 2016. Look for him to be big against Hillary "OMFG BENGHAZI!!!" Clinton. I guarantee Benghazi will be the clarion call against her.

Yeah, you can cheer all you want, but he's likely doing it to run for president in 2016. Look for him to be big against Hillary "OMFG BENGHAZI!!!" Clinton. I guarantee Benghazi will be the clarion call against her.
Whats more likely is that Perry is gonna lose in the primaries and just be done with politics. There are a lot of conservative nutjobs in the US, but I think he's just going to get less and less popular as time goes on.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think I speak for all Texans when I say we're glad he's dropping out.

I can't remember how often I heard "Man I hate having Rick Perry as governor. I just wish there was some way to get rid of him WITHOUT electing a Democrat."

fade

Staff member
Yeah, he seems to do a lot of social conservative stuff that is not appealing to those who just want the politically conservative aspects of the GOP.

I think I speak for all Texans when I say we're glad he's dropping out.

I can't remember how often I heard "Man I hate having Rick Perry as governor. I just wish there was some way to get rid of him WITHOUT electing a Democrat."
And you said... So vote for a different republican and they were all like" durr that's stoopied "I've had that discussion with people before.

GasBandit

Staff member
And you said... So vote for a different republican and they were all like" durr that's stoopied "I've had that discussion with people before.
Kay Bailey Hutchison would not have been much of an improvement.

Actually, I said "vote for a Libertarian" and the rest of the discussion was similar.

/go go gadget Kathie Glass

Dave

Staff member
Kay Bailey Hutchison would not have been much of an improvement.

Actually, I said "vote for a Libertarian" and the rest of the discussion was similar.

/go go gadget Kathie Glass
And I'm out & ignoring everything else you have to say on the subject. Her ramblings include such gems as, "Mexico is a failed state." and the abolition of property taxes to fund schools. Indeed, she proposes to defund ALL schools and also remove truancy laws. Who needs all them poor kids getting themselves learnin'? Her platform should be "privatize everything", which we all know just does not fucking work. When you privatize everything and have no governmental oversight, you get things like Enron, the housing crisis, the bank bailouts, the prison-industrial complex, etc. etc. etc. Big business is already running everything, last thing we need is another lunatic championing them and catering to their every whim.[DOUBLEPOST=1373314919][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and don't forget she wants interstate sales of all guns without licensing restrictions. Yeah, she's not a nutjob at all.[DOUBLEPOST=1373315050][/DOUBLEPOST]
Perry is not going to make it through the primaries, and he certainly won't win a general election. He's got problems with three major voting groups: women, minorities, and...the uhhh...what's the third one there...let's see...uh...I can't think of the third. Sorry.

Oops.
You underestimate the power of the idiot voting block. Poor, under-educated people voting against their own issues. We call these people Southern Republicans and "Libertarians". I say that in quotes because I've never met one that didn't espouse republican ideologies out of one side of their mouth without denying their obvious roots from the other.[DOUBLEPOST=1373315080][/DOUBLEPOST]And weird how I posted after you and it quoted you in a double post above. Huh.

Perry is not going to make it through the primaries, and he certainly won't win a general election. He's got problems with three major voting groups: women, minorities, and...the uhhh...what's the third one there...let's see...uh...I can't think of the third. Sorry.

Oops.

You underestimate the power of the idiot voting block. Poor, under-educated people voting against their own issues. We call these people Southern Republicans and "Libertarians". I say that in quotes because I've never met one that didn't espouse republican ideologies out of one side of their mouth without denying their obvious roots from the other.
First of all, my main goal was to make a joke. Let's be clear on that. :p

Second, you are dramatically overestimating Perry and his support. I could understand thinking he has a shot in 2016 if he had lost to President Obama in the general. Maybe I could have understood if he came in a close second to Romney in the primary. But he went up in flames early on, and he's done nothing to fix his problems since then. It's not going to happen.

The poor idiots will find someone else to support against their own interests.

GasBandit

Staff member
And I'm out & ignoring everything else you have to say on the subject. Her ramblings include such gems as, "Mexico is a failed state."
It is. Dude, haven't you seen the least bit of what's going on in mexico the last decade? The government has pretty much lost all control of the north half of the country to direct control by drug cartels. They've been hemorrhaging citizenry over our border for as long as any of us have been alive and longer. The only other nation that loses citizens that fast that I can recall was East Germany when the wall came down.

and the abolition of property taxes to fund schools. Indeed, she proposes to defund ALL schools and also remove truancy laws. Who needs all them poor kids getting themselves learnin'? Her platform should be "privatize everything", which we all know just does not fucking work. When you privatize everything and have no governmental oversight, you get things like Enron, the housing crisis, the bank bailouts, the prison-industrial complex, etc. etc. etc. Big business is already running everything, last thing we need is another lunatic championing them and catering to their every whim. Oh, and don't forget she wants interstate sales of all guns without licensing restrictions. Yeah, she's not a nutjob at all.
I don't disagree that she's got a lot of ideas that won't work. But to have a Libertarian, ANY Libertarian, in the governor's office would be a strong impetus for the reduction of government. The more out-there ideas will get shot down by the still-just-Rs-and-Ds state legislature, but the tone will be set for the momentum of government to start moving in the right direction.

IE, it doesn't have to be Glass. Any Libertarian will do. She's just the one who ran in 2010. It'll more than likely be someone different this time.

Let's hope so. This guy is the best thing to happen to the Daily Show in ages.

Dave

Staff member
You know who I'd vote for for President? Chris Christie. You know why? Because even though I don't agree with all of his platforms, I believe that he believes what he says. Also, I believe he takes his responsibility to his constituents seriously, so much so that he pissed off his own party to do so. I'd take a guy I don't agree with but can trust any day over someone I thought I could trust but couldn't...Obama.

fade

Staff member
I still don't understand the appeal of a reduced government. The way I see it, we tried that already. It was called "most of human history".

GasBandit

Staff member
I still don't understand the appeal of a reduced government. The way I see it, we tried that already. It was called "most of human history".
Not sure which human history you're talking about, but most of ours consisted of absolute authoritarianism.

But surely you don't think that, at 9 trillion a year and rising fast, the one thing we can't possibly try is maybe a little less government?

fade

Staff member
Well, technically,
First appearance of modern man: 160 kA
First appearance of organized cities: ~40-20 kA

Before that, the evidence is for more egalitarian, hunter-gatherer type life.

But I was really being more philosophical. I kind of meant that I see a monarchy or dictatorship as the direct result of removing some sort of imposed structure.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, technically,
First appearance of modern man: 160 kA
First appearance of organized cities: ~40-20 kA

Before that, the evidence is for more egalitarian, hunter-gatherer type life.
So what you're saying is, when we really gave minimal government a chance, it was idyllic?

But I was really being more philosophical. I kind of meant that I see a monarchy or dictatorship as the direct result of removing some sort of imposed structure.
I disagree. I would argue the "size" of government is more measured by how much control and influence it has in the lives of the governed. Even monetarily, however, most monarchies have sucked up a great deal of the available wealth.

But this concept of the overriding importance of individual liberty is a pretty new thing, since we stopped wearing animal skins and figured out the trick was to bang the rocks together.

fade

Staff member
So what you're saying is, when we really gave minimal government a chance, it was idyllic?

I know you're joking, but that idyllic life worked in a radically different world. It didn't have constant interaction of 7 billion people, nor did it have resource shortages. The personal merit reward idea worked perfectly because if you went out and busted your chops for a mammoth, well there was actually a mammoth to take.

I do take issue with the idea of unchecked personal liberty. Freedom at the expense of someone else's is no longer freedom, it's a tyranny, no matter how small.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know you're joking, but that idyllic life worked in a radically different world. It didn't have constant interaction of 7 billion people, nor did it have resource shortages. The personal merit reward idea worked perfectly because if you went out and busted your chops for a mammoth, well there was actually a mammoth to take.
You're right, I was poking fun at how you started out saying it'd "been tried" as if to say it was discounted as a failure, then referred to it as "egalitarian."

I do take issue with the idea of personal liberty. Freedom at the expense of someone else's is no longer freedom, it's a tyranny, no matter how small.
Ah, the tyranny of the individual! Only the thoroughly subjugated are truly free, eh?

Of course one's rights to swing his fist end where the face of his neighbor begins, but it doesn't take trillions to maintain civil order. It does take trillions to impose social dogma.

fade

Staff member
Whoa, I hold you above the "if you disagree with my point, you must hold the extreme opposite belief" argument.

There's always social dogma. Social is dogma. The idea that personal liberty trumps all is a social dogma. It just costs less. Well, dollars anyway.

Just send him some syrup and he'll forget he's even running.

GasBandit

Staff member
Whoa, I hold you above the "if you disagree with my point, you must hold the extreme opposite belief" argument.

There's always social dogma. Social is dogma. The idea that personal liberty trumps all is a social dogma. It just costs less. Well, dollars anyway.
Then I ask again - surely you are not of the opinion that, at 9 trillion a year and rising fast, the one thing we can't possibly try is maybe a little less government?

I'm not an anarchist here. I'm not saying abolish government, I'm saying reduce it. Hell, compared to today, Clinton's government was downright libertarian.

Could this news BE any better?

... I was doing Matthew Perry there, in case anyone couldn't tell.

Also, what are the chances of the Republican Party nominating an even bigger nutjob as Perry's successor?

Could this news BE any better?

... I was doing Matthew Perry there, in case anyone couldn't tell.

Also, what are the chances of the Republican Party nominating an even bigger nutjob as Perry's successor?
It'd be pretty hard to top Perry, he was pretty high up there with everything that's wrong with a Politician/Republican/Person.

It'd be pretty hard to top Perry, he was pretty high up there with everything that's wrong with a Politician/Republican/Person.
Well, I don't know anything about anyone in the running, so I'll take your word for it. It's just that every time humanity has ever said "this is the worst it could possibly get", things would usually get even worse.

Did any of those folks try to run last time and just get ignored? Because It's getting so hard to tell the nutjobs from the frontrunners in the republican party that I have to ask that question. That secessionist could be leading the pack in a year and I wouldn't be surprised.

GasBandit

Staff member
Did any of those folks try to run last time and just get ignored? Because It's getting so hard to tell the nutjobs from the frontrunners in the republican party that I have to ask that question. That secessionist could be leading the pack in a year and I wouldn't be surprised.
I don't believe so. The 2010 tx gov R primary I think was just three people, and two of them were Rick Perry and Kay Bailey Hutchison. So I may be mistaken but I think these are all fresh faces.

I don't believe so. The 2010 tx gov R primary I think was just three people, and two of them were Rick Perry and Kay Bailey Hutchison. So I may be mistaken but I think these are all fresh faces.
One of them was Debra Medina she's just the best she's on paper as a republican but has a lot of libertarian learnings

Status
Not open for further replies.